• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the deal with awful people online and anime avatars?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Its not an image board? Lol.

From what Ive seen Japans stringent copyright laws prevent these things being popular. People dont spam gifs and images of copyrighted material. Not even on private blogs.

What?

4chan is based on the image board Futaba Channel a.k.a. 2chan (not to be confused with the text board 2ch).

Ratrat

What?

4chan is based on the image board Futaba Channel a.k.a. 2chan (not to be confused with the text board 2ch).
My mind blown. I've been checking 2ch and 4chan for a while but didnt know about futaba.
Edit: oh, its an offshoot.

PillarEN

My favourite are the few homophobic Jojo fans that I've seen. You know, fans of Jojo characters like

-snipped pictures-

Not that these characters aren't straight or anything becaue of their poses, but the amount of straight up erotic glam in this series should be waaaay more than enough to put off anyone uncomfortable with anything remotely gay/flamboyant.
I can't wait for the part 5 anime JUST to see how the remaining "macho men, no twinks!" crowd reacts.
It's like racist, war-mongering, anti-science Star Trek fans. I don't fucking get it.

Yeah it's no different than raging homophobes belting out Queen tunes even though Freddie was gay. That goes for any types of media.

The truth anime avatars don't want you to know is that people don't actually watch anime like this. Since only only a few seconds out of a 20 minute episode are a worthwhile, they just watch clip as an mp4/webm/gif on loop.

https://my.mixtape.moe/vzbuyt.webm

Yeah I don't want to watch cartoons about giraffe people thank you very much.

It's me King Gilga your best friend, right under your nose the entire time.

I don't really see anime in your avatar as much as just a mishmash of rando colors in a rectangle.

The way that anime is delivered to people I cannot understand how anyone has the patience for it.

Let's say it is a 30 minute episode.

There is like a one minute recap followed by a two minute intro song.

And then once the actual episode starts, half that episode is either is reflecting upon past episodes, or the characters sitting around discussing what they will do next. And typically what they will do next is a month away.

I have tried to get into anime for 20 plus years, but damn is it hard.

Were you exclusively watching bad shounen shows for 20+ years? It's a lot easier to have the patience for anime when you stick to watching stuff that is good.

Worst are furries. For sure.

From best to worst;

1. Anime
2. Furries
3. My Little Pony
4. MRA / Gamergate
5. Sonic fandom

Have you seen sonic fan art? Have you read sonic fan fiction? It's beyond dark. It is so sadistic and twisted. And it seems they are embedded in this occult meme structure of relishing in the aftermath of all these shitty sonic games. There is some nostalgia mixed with self hatred about their community.

PKrockin

The way that anime is delivered to people I cannot understand how anyone has the patience for it.

Let's say it is a 30 minute episode.

There is like a one minute recap followed by a two minute intro song.

And then once the actual episode starts, half that episode is either is reflecting upon past episodes, or the characters sitting around discussing what they will do next. And typically what they will do next is a month away.

I have tried to get into anime for 20 plus years, but damn is it hard.
A lot of people watch it as time wasters. A lot of the shallow mind-numbing shit like Eromanga-sensei or the various Isekai series are popular simply because they're cute and don't demand anything from the viewer. If you're a depressed do-nothing who doesn't leave the house being able to check a series off MyAnimeList feels like a slight accomplishment without having to actually do anything. These are people who often find playing a video game takes too much effort. That's not to say everyone or even most who watch those shows is like that, but depressed otaku probably find it extra appealing.

Also, I think your impression of anime might be entirely shaped by pop culture and/or a small handful of shounen shows. Watch something good like Sakamoto Desu Ga, Mob Psycho 100, or Mushishi.

ModBot 2

Not a Mod, just a bot.
I think the OP's question has been answered and debated, and in the mean time this is basically a Charlottesville/Extremist/alt-right adjacent thread so going to lock to free up space on the first few pages of OT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom