• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What should DC do next to salvage DCEU? Fire Snyder?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want Snyder to stay and I hope the criticisms don't push him to make any last minute adjustments to please the critics. I loved BvS. Its not perfect, but its not the turd that people are making it out to be.

I also don't think the transition between 22 minute cartoon to 2.5 hour long live action movies would be as smooth as some people think.

And also, while I loved the DCAU, it was EXTREMELY episodic and I like to have some continuity between the episodes, which Bruce Timm has shown to be less efficient in if the Green Lantern Animated Series is anything to go by (It was still a good series, but not fantastic).

So I don't think making the DCCU work is as simple as "Apply Bruce Timm, wait for results"
Superman: The Animated Series, JLU, and Batman Beyond S1 had significantly stronger continuity than B:TAS or JL. I get your point, though. Timm did work on Justice League: Gods and Monsters, though, which was fairly long. Also Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker, Mask of the Phantasm, and a couple other films, so I think the transition would be a bit smoother. I get your point, though.
I don't expect the DCAU folks (Paul Dini+Bruce Timm) to write the screenplay for all movies, just mapping out all the potential road map for DCEU is enough.
And JL cartoon was mostly 2-3 episodes arc, not just one and done episode like most cartoon nowadays. Taking ques from that show is enough.

Also, Green Lantern Animated Series isn't part of the DCAU. DCAU ends with Justice League Unlimited.

But the point is that Timm and Dini were in charge of it. Plus, it may as well have been a part of the DCAU. It certainly carries the spirit of it (though I only just started watching and am on the early episodes yet).

Yeah this is how I picture that conversation:

tG830RB.jpg

00cHmmy.jpg

lveD5tv.jpg

v6DMmtr.jpg

Jyf7FBB.jpg

YfUtClx.jpg

YBRkEcy.jpg

(Sorry for the crudeness, I literally just made this using google and some website in 5 minutes)

lol

hamchan

I like George Miller, want him to do as many action movies as possible, and would love him to do a Justice League movie but if I were him I probably wouldn't want to go through all this nonsense again.

Sojgat

Put Kevin Smith in charge.

Note: I'm joking, but he actually would do a better job of curating their cinematic universe than Snyder.

Nothing too drastic. The movie isn't that bad aside from editing and pacing issues. The general public will like it and the legs will be fine.

It's a comic book movie. Quality is never relevant with these ones.

MANGOD

Banned
Lol the Snyder hate on gaf is right up there with Mikey Bay. Fuck ya'll haters! Saw BvsS last night and enjoyed it. DO ONE
1532.gif

KonradLaw

Put Kevin Smith in charge.

Note: I'm joking, but he actually would do a better job of curating their cinematic universe than Snyder.

Is Snyder actually currating it though? I just can't imagime Snyder bossing around Afflect with his solo Batman flick or James Wan on Aquaman. To me it looks like Snyder just laid the groundwork and from there everybody is running in their own direction.

you want another Batman trilogy? terrible idea with it so close to the previous, i think hard to top, Nolan trilogy.

if you HAVE to do Batman, do Batman Beyond. and Affleck direct? this isn't some movie about Boston, it's Gotham City.

Pau

you want another Batman trilogy? terrible idea with it so close to the previous, i think hard to top, Nolan trilogy.

if you HAVE to do Batman, do Batman Beyond. and Affleck direct? this isn't some movie about Boston, it's Gotham City.
But what if I hate Nolan's trilogy? :p

I guess I can wait another ten years to finally get a Batman film I like. :(

Sojgat

Is Snyder actually currating it though? I just can't imagime Snyder bossing around Afflect with his solo Batman flick or James Wan on Aquaman. To me it looks like Snyder just laid the groundwork and from there everybody is running in their own direction.

He seems to be setting the tone at the very least. I imagine all the solo movies will contain a lot of walking back of his creative choices. Affleck's Batman most likely won't be a serial killer in his own movie, for example.

Anth0ny

I also don't think the transition between 22 minute cartoon to 2.5 hour long live action movies would be as smooth as some people think.

And also, while I loved the DCAU, it was EXTREMELY episodic and I like to have some continuity between the episodes, which Bruce Timm has shown to be less efficient in if the Green Lantern Animated Series is anything to go by (It was still a good series, but not fantastic).

So I don't think making the DCCU work is as simple as "Apply Bruce Timm, wait for results"

They made the transition over to 12 hour video game perfectly fine.

I also struggle to find anyone else more qualified than the guys who successfully created a highly successful and critically acclaimed animated DC universe.

Pau

let me guess, you like the Burton and Schumacher ones?

what don't you like about the Nolan films?
Nope, don't like any of them. :) I like certain parts about the Burton and Nolan ones, but they aren't my Batman.

The Nolan films are pretty emotionless, do a terrible job with Bruce's character (and any female character until the last movie), and realize far too late the importance of Robin in Bruce's character arc. They kind of feel like watching a Batman movie where Batman doesn't actually show up but rather Christian Bale in a costume.

But I get that my personal interpretation of Bruce isn't everyone's. He's my favorite fictional character ever, so I'm just a bit picky about it.

I thought you knew this.

I hope we can still be friends. :(

Maddocks

After watching the movie twice, can say. Not doomed. Maybe critics will say it's bad or terrible, but WB only cares about the money. So till it only makes 5 cents, synder is long term.

Pau

I knew you didn't like them...

But hate is such a strong word. D:
It becomes hate if I realize that I'll have to wait another ten years before another shot at seeing a live action Bruce (and his children) because of them.

For the most part I can be civil about them, I swear.

DMczaf

Leave Nolan out of this mess.

After shitting on his actions for years, you guys got your cool flashy batman fighty fight fight stuff along with the hot garbage surrounding it. Deal with it! He doesn't owe you ungrateful people anymore!

Pau

After shitting on his actions for years, you guys got your cool flashy batman fighty fight fight stuff along with the hot garbage surrounding it. Deal with it! He doesn't owe you ungrateful people anymore!
But action is like on the bottom of my list when it comes to my Nolan complaints. I didn't even mention it. :(

inky

But what if I hate Nolan's trilogy? :p

I guess I can wait another ten years to finally get a Batman film I like. :(

It's OK. They are probably never going to make a Batman film that I want (I liked Begins fwiw).

I want something that's really out there, like, Jacob's Ladder meets Assault on Precinct 13 meets that Grant Morrison Arkham Asylum comic. Something that feels really claustrophobic and it's basically Batman pushed psychologically, yet manages to push back and remain sane. (I don't care too much about Batman, if anyone is wondering :p I think my ideal Batman is the Animated Series one, he's already perfect there, but he's a great vehicle for other stuff).

Hire me DC, it will make more sense than BvS I swear!

Toa TAK

Banned
It becomes hate if I realize that I'll have to wait another ten years before another shot at seeing a live action Bruce (and his children) because of them.

For the most part I can be civil about them, I swear.
We'll see about that. >_>

Woah hold up. I love the Nolan trilogy.

But he did his thing and it was awesome, but I'm interested in seeing another direction with Batman. Just not one who senselessly murders.

Pau

it's basically Batman pushed psychologically, yet manages to push back and remain sane
I'd be down for this.

It's one of the reasons I like Morrison's Batman, despite having other issues with it.

(I know, I'm never truly happy.)

Sojgat

People weren't asking for more awful shit that totally misses the point of the character, just slightly more violent and well choreographed.

I tolerated Nolan's Baleman because I knew he was leaving. I actually think Snyder might be getting the brunt of the backlash a little unfairly because people mistakenly thought that we might actually be getting a more faithful depiction of the character this time.

He hasn't given us everything. Not yet.

I want something that's really out there, like, Jacob's Ladder meets Assault on Precinct 13 meets that Grant Morrison Arkham Asylum comic. Something that feels really claustrophobic and it's basically Batman pushed psychologically, yet manages to push back and remain sane.

i've got it. Let Nicolas Winding Refn direct the next one.

Nolan Batman trilogy was great. As we get more and more comic book movies I appreciate them more as sticking to their guns and being ambitious and well acted. Nolan had his script problems but he still ironed out some refreshing as hell comic movies. I love them, even the disappointing rises is looking much better with every year we get these other ones. While I enjoyed cap 2 and iron man 3 quite a bit only dofp really impressed me as much as the early gawds like X2 and Spidey 2 and begins/tdk. Singers the last comic director I'm actively a fan of at the moment. Have hopes for coogler and affleck and ayer to do something decent tho.

Snyder has some really interesting ideas and concepts in hand but man he kinda sucks at directing films. Aside from the visual aspect which he is fantastic with (framing of action scenes, aesthetic, cinematography etc.) he gets dull performances, the pacing of his movies is a slog, wooden dialogue etc.

G-Fex

Nolan fans have no right to complain about a damn thing, Burton never got another Batman film, at least Nolan got his bookend.

Thanks WB

Nolan fans have no right to complain about a damn thing, Burton never got another Batman film, at least Nolan got his bookend.

Thanks WB

I thought burton left. But yeah would have fucking loved him to have made a last batman movie or that superman one he had.

He sucks post 90s tho so no not interested in having him back unless he's woken up finally

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom