• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whats the best action movie of all time!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Until I opened this thread I had no idea people considered Raiders of the Lost Ark an action movie. I suspect 2016 will continue to baffle and confuse me until I am rendered unfit to meet the bare minimum requirements of self care and end up being placed in some sort of assisted living institution.

And the answer is Die Hard, bloody hell.

hobozero

People should go back and watch some of the classic action movies fro mthe 80's and early 90's. There are long stretches of distinctly no action in those movies.

Commando? Thrill as Arnold shops and drives in a convertible. Cobra? time for Motel chatting action!

Even though it's more recent I would have to vote for Mad Max Fury Road. That movie only stops moving twice: once for a fistfight, and once for a naked woman.

jett

D-Member
I used to think T2 would never be dethroned, but Fury Road puts up a hell of a fight.

Still T2 though.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Can't choose between:

Die Hard
Predator
Aliens
Terminator 2
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back

It's definitely one of these. I'd probably go with Die Hard or Aliens...

ogbg

I think on reflection it's Raiders of the Lost Ark. It's interesting watching Fury Road for like the tenth time how much the final chase is inspired by the climactic chase in raiders, with max going from the front to hanging off the back of the car to hanging off the front and then jacking a vehicle, etc..

Hard to argue with any of the choices in here though, although Raid 2 is better than Raid 1 and Terminator 1 is better than Terminator 2.

It's Hard Boiled. Then Project A. Then Drunken Master. Then Zatoichi and the Chest of Gold. Then Police Story. Then Drunken Master 2. Then Eight Diagram Pole Fighter

And the best fight scene is, naturally, Jackie vs Benny Urquidez in Wheels on Meals

45WW0wy.gif

This post just gets righter and righter

FStop7

Banned
The Matrix.

I've said it many times: from the moment the metal detectors go off in the lobby to the moment Trinity bails out of the helicopter is the greatest action sequence of all time. I still get chills when Morpheus deadpans "NOW do you believe?" after all of that insane shit just happened.

1. Die Hard
2. Mad Max: Fury Road
3. Drunken Master II
4. The Raid
5. Predator

Not including Raiders as an action film, but it would be my favorite. Raid 1 > Raid 2, and John Wick is mediocre.

Also, this list is doomed to failure because there are movies I don't remember well enough. I've seen at least 20 Jackie Chan films and probably 20 Zatoichis (amazingly, never seen Police Story though). If I saw Wheels on Meals or Project A again they might shoot up my rankings (I watched Drunken Master II recently and it held up perfectly).

Special mention to the ladder fight in First Strike:

zrIH84u.gif

Cc2sQUV.gif

Some of the best action scenes are in thrillers/dramas with one or two action scenes in them.

Oldboy, HEAT, Collateral. You need these movies on your list, but they wouldn't fit under the category of action films!

can't believe only one person said jacky chan's who am i

prob not the best but should at least appear on some of these lists :O

Terminator 2 will always be my choice. I prefer watching the first for those gritty cyberpunk "dude this shit could really happen" vibes but T2 is a masterpiece with no time wasted

Regarding The Raid....I had heard so much hype for it before I had seen it. After rewatching I Saw The Devil last year I was craving some brutal Asian action flicks, checked it out and was pretty disappointed. It was neat but not the amazing spectacle I expected (in all honesty I think it was mostly the fighting style I didn't like. It basically seemed like every fight consisted of the same "walk while trading blows" movement)

I'd still like to check out the 2nd though

Friggz

i havent seen it in a few years. and a lot of my other choices were already picked. but i thoroughly enjoyed Ninja Assassin.

Dex815

Depends of what you mean by action.

For example in terms of guns action there is nothing even close to the shootout scene of Heat.

Jonm1010

Banned
My girlfriend and I recently went through a re-watch of many of the most lauded action films: Die Hard, Terminator 1 and 2, Aliens, Predator, The Raid 1 and 2, Indiana Jones, and Mad Max(since it just came out on blu ray.)

I have to say, maybe recency bias is still knocking around but Mad Max: Fury Road is kinda winning out with us.

I'm losing my shit at all the Fury Road mentions

it's probably Die Hard though

Its a legitimately great film and a great action film.

Not sure why this would bother you?

My favorite movies of all time which so happen to be action -
1. Faceoff
2. The Rock
3. Con Air
To add some more -
4. Leon
5. Gone in 60 Seconds
6. Collateral
7. John Wick
8. Die Hard

1. Die Hard
2. Aliens
3. Predator
4. Big Trouble in Little China
5. Terminator 2
6. The Rock
7. Con Air
8. Robocop
9. Battle Royale
10.Independence Day

JLynn

Police Story
uVAv7vX.gif

mall-jump-police-story.gif

Thank James Glickenhaus for Police Story. James directed Jackie Chan in The Protector, which starred Jackie as a rogue cop. James and Jackie constantly fought behind the scenes to the point when Jackie stayed in his trailer, refusing to work with him. He reluctantly resumed work after he was told Warner Bros. Had an iron clad contract and he would be in violation of said contract. The experience left a bitter taste in Jackie's mouth.

He went back to Hong Kong determined and focus. The movie was basically Jackie proving to the world he can direct and act in a cop drama.

I guess this thread depends on how old you are and what was the last action movie you saw was.

Die Hard
Predator
John Wick
Matrix
Red Heat
Too many Jackie Chan Movies to list

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
There it is.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

tumblr_n6pjwsvLQQ1rdsiguo1_500.gif

I think I like Police Story 2 better overall, but the final showdown in the mall in Police Story is just unbeatable. Every pane of glass in that whole place shattered :p

I liked the second movie, but I feel like Police Story has the best variety, supporting cast and Jackie's character is at his best. Arrogant, goofy but able, and extremely passionate. In 2 and onwards he just kind of turned into regular Jackie Chan - the character. Inspector Chan in 1 is a lot more wild and out there.

Plus 1 has so much good action combined with hilarious parts. The mall scene is a big one, but the opening car chase/sting operation was so good that Michael Bay blatantly ripped it off with Bad Boys 2. The phone answering bit is funny and hilarious and one of my favorite moments in the movies and the part where his friend is trying to break in and kidnap the girl to make Chin look good is hilarious

Sojgat

People should go back and watch some of the classic action movies fro mthe 80's and early 90's. There are long stretches of distinctly no action in those movies.

Commando? Thrill as Arnold shops and drives in a convertible. Cobra? time for Motel chatting action!

Even though it's more recent I would have to vote for Mad Max Fury Road. That movie only stops moving twice: once for a fistfight, and once for a naked woman.

People are generally judging these movies as cohesive wholes, not reducing them to the sum of their action scenes. Threads like these are always going to feature the same handful of answers over and over because those are either just the best overall action movies or widely beloved favourites.

More interesting are all the films that excel at action, but are average to bad otherwise. Movies featuring the best action could be a different thread.

rukland

Die Hard easily. Even if the first time I saw it it put me to sleep, so glad I want back to it. And now it is hands down my number one.

If I had to do a top 5 the rest would be

Predator
Desperado
Bad Boys 2
Police Story

Kinda shocked Desperado has not been mentioned.

Thank James Glickenhaus for Police Story. James directed Jackie Chan in The Protector, which starred Jackie as a rogue cop. James and Jackie constantly fought behind the scenes to the point when Jackie stayed in his trailer, refusing to work with him. He reluctantly resumed work after he was told Warner Bros. Had an iron clad contract and he would be in violation of said contract. The experience left a bitter taste in Jackie's mouth.

He went back to Hong Kong determined and focus. The movie was basically Jackie proving to the world he can direct and act in a cop drama.

And Drunken Master 2 was a response to critics saying that nothing more could be done with kung fu films and they have reached their peak, or something like that.

Basically, don't piss Jackie Chan off and say that things cannot be improved or he doesn't know what he is doing. It only winds up making you look bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom