• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which 'moments' have to be recaptured in the FF VII remake?

Fitts

All.

But I'd really like a little extra love thrown Cosmo Canyon's way since my favorite character is
Nanaki

Miang

That motherfucker. Without a walkthrough it took me a WEEK to beat him.

I still remember when I finally did it: That day I arrived at school and it turned out that the first class was cancelled. So I walked back home with a friend and we played FF 7 where I left off. I wanted to show him that POS and how unfair he is, but I magically manged to beat him. Problem now was, that it was time to go to school again, but I couldn't find a save spot! While he left, I was searching for a save spot in panic, clicking away all the dialogue as fast as I could (while trying to read most of it). After I finally found one I saved and hurried to school, arriving way too late, of course.

Fun memory.

FUCKING DEMONS GATE!

I must have fought him 20 times. I had no Barrier and I think I was under levelled, plus I sucked at the game in general (my first RPG). The sense of accomplishment when I finally did it, my god.

antitrop

meeting Cait Sith and his hilariously shallow reason for joining your party

"Here's a stupid fortune cookie, now babysit me while I come with you to see if it was bullshit or not".

FUCKING DEMONS GATE!

I must have fought him 20 times. I had no Barrier and I think I was under levelled, plus I sucked at the game in general (my first RPG). The sense of accomplishment when I finally did it, my god.
That's the one you can kill with a Phoenix Down, right?

kPtpZSj.jpg

tyQDNEn.png

HqSFu8Z.jpg

Zukuu

Banned
That's the one you can kill with a Phoenix Down, right?
No, that one is in Cosmo Canyon if I remember correctly.

Demon Wall's weakness is, that he is susceptible to weapons "without slots" for no apparent reason. >_>

I don't think that was clear at all - at least playing it the first time around. I dunno if there was a cryptic hint about it somewhere.

Brannon

The Spoiler.

No, not Aeris getting shanked.

THE SPOILER.

If you don't know what it is then you never played it. And if you do know what it is then shut the fuck up and let them play THE GODDAMNED GAME.

Nottle

All the goofy stuff no one remembers but will be terribly awkward with voice acting.I can not imagine what the moogle cait sith is on will look like in HD.

Cloud saying "mosey."

The 7 different art styles.

Truly the last classic Final Fantasy.

Are people expecting the game to be completely unchanged and have nothing new with just pretty graphics on top? I'm not, but saying that we might not see ANY of those classic moments is silly. They'll probably do what Capcom did with The REmake, and that is considered by many to be the definitive version of that game. I'm just worried about the voice acting, and if the game will keep it's humor.

tbb033

Banned
I found the 10hr or so wait to get out of the city and for the world to open up to be annoying and a big part of the reason FF7 doesn't rank very highly for me as a classic FF, BUT... I really don't see how you could change that without making the game not be FF7 anymore, so off course it has to be in.

antitrop

I found the 10hr or so wait to get out of the city and for the world to open up to be annoying and a big part of the reason FF7 doesn't rank very highly for me as a classic FF, BUT... I really don't see how you could change that without making the game not be FF7 anymore, so off course it has to be in.

5-6 hours is more normal to reach the world map for a first playthrough. Unless FF7 was your first JRPG, as it was for many people.

raven777

How the new, slightly darker aesthetic sits with some of the crazier elements of the original game remains to be seen, but it seems they'll be intact. Can't wait to see the delicious sight of Cloud in a dress in glorious HD? "Please look forward to it," said Nomura as the interview came to a close.

I am sure there will be many changes and some of the things will be cut, but I think a lot of iconic moments will still be in the game.

KoopaTheCasual

How about when the crew is locked in the Shinra tower, and when they make their escape they see the walls slathered in blood?? That's gonna be a sweet scene on PS4, almost horror movie-ish.
Duuuude, this scene NEEDS to be horrifying.

Also Red XIII as a soldier because I wanna see how dumb it looks in HD.

That giant snake with Sephiroth's sword in its corpse. Made me a Sephiroth fanboy in an instant as a kid.
I was thinking "whoever killed that big ol swamp snake is a badass".

liquidtmd

Banned
Slightly off topic but Im just hoping now they've delayed the PC version by another five months and in light of remake they're putting some decent effort into that - I.e retranslation, decent filtering, graphics et al

GeNoMe

So many great and funny moments in the original! I Hope to god they don't butcher it.
You guys are making me wanna play FFVII again, the nostalgia i'm feeling right now is off the effin charts.

Im hoping they leave as much of the original content/context intact! Are you reading this SE? Don't slaughter my feels!!

Teknoman

NOMURA: But we can't have these upgraded, beautiful 3D models of Cloud and Barrett, still lining up in a row, jumping forward to attack an enemy, then jumping back to wait for their next turn. That would be bizarre.

The hell? How is that bizarre? They better not screw up the combat system. Final Fantasy X was like this and no one complained. Same with Lost Odyssey...Persona 5 will be like this as well.

Now im kinda skeptical that they wont have a full overworld / traverseable by airship / boat / chocobo. And they might even go some strange route of making the battle system more of an action style like Crisis Core or XV. I really hope they dont...i'm fine with certain content changes but lets not completely change the core of the game.

All the goofy stuff no one remembers but will be terribly awkward with voice acting.I can not imagine what the moogle cait sith is on will look like in HD.

Cloud saying "mosey."

The 7 different art styles.

Truly the last classic Final Fantasy.

Well I wouldnt say that...technically that would be IX.

Pagusas

Elden Member
If there isnt an actual full overworld, i'm going to flip a refrigerator.

Why would you even think there wouldnt be? I feel like people are thinking they are going to like strip out all the content of this game and just make a it a corridor runner. It wont be, it'll be a true RPG. Keep positive attitudes and enjoy having something like this to look forward to.

After reading interviews and realizing what a "remake" entails for Square, I'm starting to realize that I'm probably going to be mad disappointed with this remake.

That comment by Nomura about changing the battle system made me realize that we're dealing with modern SquareEnix. I'll be keeping my expectations super-low, so the pain is less. :(

Came to say both examples posted in the OP, actually.

So I'll go with another one: Crossing the sandy area right before the cave just outside of Kalm only to find the Midgar Zolom you've been trying to avoid completely skewered by Sephiroth.

FFVII-MidgarZolom_Death.jpg

Say what you want about the character himself, but goddamn does the game do a great job of building him up over the course of the game, starting with the Shinra building massacre.

This was the first thing that came to my mind.

Teknoman

Why would you even think there wouldnt be? I feel like people are thinking they are going to like strip out all the content of this game and just make a it a corridor runner. It wont be, it'll be a true RPG. Keep positive attitudes and enjoy having something like this to look forward to.

Just because of how other recent FF games turned out I guess. I mean FFXV is a step back in the right direction overworld wise, since it seems like it'll be similar to Dragon Quest VIII. By this I mean a full overworld with no map point travel, just like FF I-IX. And the airship shouldnt be a map point to point system either.

All I honestly (and most people I think) want is a remake of FFVII that takes advantage of current gen power, remastered soundtrack that keeps the feel of the original, a normal turn based combat system with possible materia improvements. Anything additional is fine, but there is still this underlying feeling that they'll actually change too much of the core.

Maybe its misguided, but still.

Final Fantasy VII was an amazing game full of amazing moments. I don't know why I keep forgetting it. I guess it's the way Square has been shitting on it and the entire franchise since then (with a couple exceptions). I wonder if a sequel can recapture it.

NOMURA: But we can't have these upgraded, beautiful 3D models of Cloud and Barrett, still lining up in a row, jumping forward to attack an enemy, then jumping back to wait for their next turn. That would be bizarre.

The hell? How is that bizarre?

I know a lot of people would disagree with me, but I completely agree with Nomura. I've been saying this forever. Seeing an FF game with modern graphical quality with combat where, well.. literally this "beautiful 3D models of Cloud and Barrett, still lining up in a row, jumping forward to attack an enemy, then jumping back to wait for their next turn." would just be odd in many different ways, in my eyes. I mean, I can't even say it without sounding incredibly redundant. Nomura literally spoke my mind, and i'm damn glad he feels that way about it. Bring on the new battle system.

Chibot

All of them- seriously, there's no reason to leave anything out. I'm okay with them adding things here and there, as long as the plot doesn't change much, but not with pre-existing scenes being scrapped.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
All of them- seriously, there's no reason to leave anything out. I'm okay with them adding things here and there, as long as the plot doesn't change much, but not with pre-existing scenes being scrapped.

Things are going to be changed. The translation for example is going to be altered to begin with, as that(the english release)wasn't even the original dialogue. People have the garbage localization in their brains that it effects their way of thinking about certain scenes i'm sure.

Anyway, i want them to keep the tifa scenes intact especially the final highwind scene, the scene inside of the lifestream, and as well as the first bombing scene in the beginning of the game. I don't think they would fuck up such an iconic moments as Aerith getting killed, so i'm not worried about it.

Although its likely to be more bloody than it was if Advent Children complete and Crisis core is anything to go by.

Darksol

I can't pick one moment. The game is just an endless series of unforgettable moments that I want Square-Enix to do justice.

If you'd asked me if they could handle it a year ago I'd tell you to get stuffed. But as of this E3, I'm starting to regain my trust in them. This lack of Wada is the best possible news.

Sometimes I think FF7 remake would be way better as a lower budget effort :lol

Serious salutes if they have all the silly and stupid scenes intact.

Top Bottom