• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do people favor consoles based on graphics rather than games?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Each time I get on this forum I see at least 3 threads on the first page alone where someone is bashing the 360 or the PS3 or the Wii. What puzzles me is that almost every argument is centered on the system's graphical power. Now, I am like most of you guys, I love shiny new graphics. However, the games make the systems. What if there was a change of pace from the bickering about whose system can provide that extra graphical edge and maybe talk about what games have you leaning towards PS3 or 360 or Wii. The Wii may not have graphics on par with the 360 or PS3, but for Nintendo's vision and with the franchises you know they will re-hash starting with Zelda, super high end graphics are not really needed. There is such a thing as too realistic. It is artistic direction. Look at Okami, it could stand a slight graphical overhaul, but you dont really need bump mapped graphics in that sorta game. The same is true with most of Nintendo's first party games (i assume these games will be one of the biggest reasons anyone buys a Wii). As for the PS and 360, PS3 has more potential and yet 360 will be far easier to program for. I really believe the major, polished games for either system will look stunning. What it comes down to, for all the systems, what games do you really enjoy? Maybe you are really into Halo, maybe Zelda and Mario, maybe you just love the big 3rd party games like MGS, Final Fantasy, Devil May Cry or heck even Tekken. I think arguing a systems graphical strengths is boring, a far more interesting debate would be something like, "Nintendo will have the most fun system because of the following reasons." Anyways, just a thought.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
dunno about you guys

but that shit is cool

how he formatted that

shit.

edit:
ok all jokes aside :D i think graphics do play a major part in games anyway you slice it, but still gameplay is number one. that said i think its gotta do with the right combination of gameplay and graphics. and right now, gameplay is the only card nintendo can deliver on, not that its a bad thing but the graphics do leave you wanting a bit more. you gotta remember this is gaf so gameplay arguments dont come up here much. ;)

LukeSmith

Because in America abortion laws have been fluctuating for a long time -- so some kids definitely slipped through the cracks.

Maybe I make this stance on games because I have bought every system at launch since the days of Dreamcast. So, bashing one system over another is pointless for me.

Grayman

more powerful system can do more things than the less powerful one. Can wii do a racing game like motorstorm with 20 vehicles at once and the mud tracks not only being graphical but affecting physics? maybe not without looking "unacceptable"

a more powerful system can look nicer while having more interactivity.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
yeeeeeahh....

Oh right, because most of the time we are discussing games that haven't been released yet. All we have to talk about is visual information from the game, so thats what we talk about.

regrettebly people put alotta emphasis on their gut, initial impression reaction which stems from what the initially see on screen. If its not pretty, something they can relate to in someway/familiar with, a huge spectacle, etc. People will be indifferent alotta the time

...There's alotta games that don't get the play they should on a initial run because of that, and sure, sometimes they get the recognition they deserve down the road thru word of mouth and such (see psychonauts, Phoenix Wright, etc), alotta time that doesn't happen, or theres a whimper instead of a bang

Its interesting listening to the 1up podcast this week and people are still unsure about Crackdown just because of its unconventional visual palette.

...oh yeah, and The Outfit is one of the best games on 360 that not enough people played :D

Dante

Well Ps2 was the weakest console graphically, and that sold the most. You know to be honest I didn't read the topic post because I'm a bit drunk, and I have no idea what actually wins console wars. But I know I want great graphics, and great games.

Do you really think that there will be that gigantic a leap between 360 and PS3 when it comes to graphics and physics? Give me a break. As for Wii, yeah, I am a little let down by the graphics since the are Cube the Remix basically. But again, for what Nintendo's majoy games in the past have looked like, there really is no need for the horse power of the 360 or PS3, it suits the Wii's first party agenda.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom