• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do you give money to pan handlers?

Homeless problems are getting worse in OC. OC superior court is full of piss puddles and needles.

Some people are taking advantage of this situation and pose as homeless to pan handle. I heard daily figures are around $700 per day.

Why not donate to a reputable charity that can better manage your money? They can bulk buy needed supplies.

Here is OC Superior Court in Santa Ana a few weeks ago. There are more places like this.
tk83hVE.jpg

Last edited:

AntoneM

Because the scrawny and near toothless dude outside of McDonald's, who asked me for money today, asked if I could just buy him food after I said I had no cash. So I did.

jadedm17

You don't give money to homeless, I was taught that over a decade ago at 18 in Boston : If you give then money they never leave.

Homeless backpacks are great. YouTube how to make them.

That said: There's a couple with a young kid and a baby who hangout by my last job. I can't imagine hours in the Florida sun is good for a baby, nor that this is their only/best option.

Last edited:

Droxcy

I really try hard not to, thinking about it they can go to somewhere to try and better themselves. Or I think of how they got in that position in the first place.

Snoopycat

Banned
I would rather give money directly to the homeless than give it to a charity and not know where that money has gone

OH-MyCar

I have no problem with directly buying food; I figured that out when there were numerous times I'd offer my still-in-the-bag, unwrapped fast food and they'd somehow be angry at me offering over my lunch and going hungry for the evening. I've heard "I don't want that. I need a meal" at least three times. There were nearly 60 grams of protein in those bags so I don't know who they were fighting.

The only time I've happily given cash is when a panhandler came up to me and said "Listen, I'm going to be honest with you: I'm going to buy a joint with this". I don't know if that was just a good routine for college kids at the time, but that one worked on me.

Last edited:
Because I've been homeless myself multiple times, and no matter what you do you'll never know wht it's like until you're there. Sometimes I'll even say something potentially rude, like 'Go get yourself a 40!!' (if intuition tells me they're into that). I was there, I was addicted to alcohol and sometimes you just need to get through that depressing night. Save the self improvement speeches for when they are truly relevant

As far as scammers, it's like food stamps. I don't stop helping people just because some are out there taking advantage. That hurts the people in need. Karma will take care of who it needs to. Scrutinizing the morality or the way they handle that money on the receiving end is none of my business, that's beyond the nature of giving

Last edited:

Amory

I don't, generally. Plus I usually don't carry cash anyway.

If I pass someone and happen to have a buck or two on me and they really appear to be in need I'll give it to them. But there are too many young homeless who are clearly drug addicts, and I won't contribute to their next high.

I don't, generally. Plus I usually don't carry cash anyway.

If I pass someone and happen to have a buck or two on me and they really appear to be in need I'll give it to them. But there are too many young homeless who are clearly drug addicts, and I won't contribute to their next high.

Being addicted to drugs and being homeless is far worse than being homeless and not addicted to drugs. They need help and don't know how to do it. It's this cold dissonance that you feel the most sometimes when people pass by you full of judgement on their faces. But that's ok, it's completely understandable, no one is educated about these things

Senua

Gold Member
I'm not a cunt so I give to homeless, whether it be change or food/drink. There's so damn many in my city now it's really sad.

lil puff

One time I sat outside and ate lunch and watched as this homeless lady made probably more (tax free) money than I make at my full time job.

Might be the one area where women do make more than men.

lil puff

The homeless problem in NYC is very bad. I think a lot of people come here to be homeless because of the abundance of foot traffic. It's better on the street than in a shelter, even during the coldest and snowiest days.

They get set up nicely. They have cell phones, free charging stations. Internet booths. Free food from restaurants that close. They are some of the most resourceful people.

The only thing I do not understand are the pregnant homeless. A few years back there was a pregnant homeless woman near my job, we basically watched her 9 month term develop on the street. I wonder what happened to her.

BadHand

I'm not a cunt so I give to homeless, whether it be change or food/drink. There's so damn many in my city now it's really sad.

I don’t give money to people who are panhandling. Guess I’m a cunt?

I have however given to the food bank, donated clothes and sometimes small amounts of money. In the past few years a bunch of us have sponsored families from the Salvation Army around Christmas time, buying their kids a few gifts and buying their turkey, vegetables and desert etc.

Amory

Being addicted to drugs and being homeless is far worse than being homeless and not addicted to drugs. They need help and don't know how to do it. It's this cold dissonance that you feel the most sometimes when people pass by you full of judgement on their faces. But that's ok, it's completely understandable, no one is educated about these things
I'm not unsympathetic. I, like pretty much everyone else, have known and been friends with people who struggle(d) with addiction.

I'd argue that money is better given to shelters and treatment centers than the individuals themselves, though.

lil puff

I am not sure if the funds going to shelters are being used properly... they are disgusting places. The police have to literally drag the homeless off the street kicking and screaming to get them into one of the crummy shelters we have here.

There's plenty of reasons why I don't give out money.

First, there are those that play music, or use some skills to make stuff to sell. Fair enough, you're trying. I've seen a couple of people around the area who are deaf-mutes, or wheelchair-bound, who carry a tray full of stuff - tissue packs, hand sanitizers, gum, etc. I'd normally ask how much something costs, then give them enough to round off a ten, then leave without taking the merchandise, because at least they are trying to make a living.

I get that people can be down and out with their luck, but they still try. For me, that's the big difference.

When I was 13, I was playing in the front yard when someone knocked on the door (it was walled-in, not like the open gardens you typically have in the US). I answered the door, and a guy was standing there, asking if my dad was home.

I went and told my dad, and told him I didn't know who he was, but my dad went to talk with him anyway.

After about ten minutes of conversation, my dad came back into the house. I asked him what the man wanted.

He said the guy had recently lost his job, and his wife was pregnant and about to give birth any day. He needed a job to support his family until he could land on his feet again, and asked whether or not my dad needed any help around the house. My dad hired him as a general handyman.

He stayed working diligently with us for about two to three months, until one day he told my dad he had found a stable job again and tendered his resignation. A month later, he moved on. Still, he'd come visit us every couple of months, introduced his wife and baby son to us, and became good friends.

The lesson my dad taught me with that was there is dignity through work, and it should be recognized.

I've had my share of friends who have taken great falls due to drugs. One of them realized he was addicted and bargained a real with the clinic whereby because he couldn't afford treatment, he'd exchange the cost with working there until he paid it off. He already paid it off, and now is still working there full-time, and happily married.

Contrast that against two other friends from way back who lost their jobs, family and friends due to drugs, and now wait at stoplights to bum change from the drivers so they can buy their daily fix.

That's why if someone asks me for money, I offer to provide them with a job instead. To date, none have accepted, and over half have told me to go to hell. Hence, why I don't and won't give handouts.

Last edited:

Corrik

I do not give to the homeless. My fiancee is always trying to, and I do not let her. Too many people recently have been taking advantage of it or are not using the money for causes they should be in their situation.

If they were earnestly trying to get their life together, I would give towards their cause.

Kadayi

Banned
I do give money to homeless people when I see them (where I live there's a lot in the City), but I tend to give more to Homeless charities because the brute reality is money in their hand may sustain them, but money to charities can work towards getting people off the street.

As far as scammers, it's like food stamps. I don't stop helping people just because some are out there taking advantage. That hurts the people in need. Karma will take care of who it needs to. Scrutinizing the morality or the way they handle that money on the receiving end is none of my business, that's beyond the nature of giving

Well put. A gift is without reservation or conditions. I willingly give if asked and I have money on me to give. I don't usually give large amounts, however. I consider my small help a contribution - hopefully to be one of many, especially if it's someone truly in need. (and there are certainly many who really are.)

-Minsc-

I don't recall ever giving money to panhandlers and I'm not sure I ever will. What I'd like to aim for is buy them a meal and take them to places where they can converse and build connections. Some day when I feel my own life is organized enough I'd even offer a job. That's the kind of gift I choose to give. More accurately, would like to aim to give.

Last edited:

Super Mario

Banned
I've given money to two panhandlers before then followed them and found them lying. One example: "I'm hungry and it's cold. Have mercy." Then I watched him walk a block, get in his truck and drive away.

In Chicago, I saw one who took it to the extreme. Apparently, he had some flesh eating leg disease on the streets that had a towel over it. He had a priest there blessing him while he laid there.

Not everyone is a scammer, but giving money helps no one.

waxer

I donate to charities. Sometimes food banks and also things like Christmas gifts for kids or to help with intellectual disabilities/mental health.

Homeless people when you own a business can really suck. It's a tricky one. On one hand it would be nice to help. On the other at a place I worked we have had someone that slept behind dumpster and had trouble with insurance over it.

Someone lit the dumpster on fire and insurance used him and not doing enough to remove him as reason not to pay. Even though can't control someone turning up after hours.

There was an article about it in paper where everyone tried to help him out found a place to stay etc. But he wanted to be on street and came back.

Sadly there are quite a lot of people with intellectual disabilities here homeless that are in less of a position to help themselves.

Singular7

Well put. A gift is without reservation or conditions. I willingly give if asked and I have money on me to give. I don't usually give large amounts, however. I consider my small help a contribution - hopefully to be one of many, especially if it's someone truly in need. (and there are certainly many who really are.)

Well said.

When asked, and you have money on you, to deny them seems obviously immoral.

Even if it's just a *chance* that they need it for food, it's our duty to help.

I've given money to two panhandlers before then followed them and found them lying. One example: "I'm hungry and it's cold. Have mercy." Then I watched him walk a block, get in his truck and drive away.

I look at things like this. If someone thinks they need money enough to be deceptive towards their fellow beings in order to obtain it, I want to give it to them and wish them well. Can I be taken advantage of? Obviously. But living in a world of trust, where we give each other the benefit of the doubt and assume the best in one another is far more important to me than losing a few dollars because someone might not be genuine.

NahaNago

In Chicago, I saw one who took it to the extreme. Apparently, he had some flesh eating leg disease on the streets that had a towel over it. He had a priest there blessing him while he laid there.

Not everyone is a scammer, but giving money helps no one.
Being burnt out by scammers is why I don't give folks money anymore.

TrainedRage

Banned
Depends. People that beg for money as a 'living' can fuck off. People that need some help because of some unforeseen problems they ran into like needing gas money or some food/water/a ride; I help them out.

black_13

Banned
Used to only see visibly disabled people pan handling but all I see lately is healthy looking dudes asking for money. And I'm not about to give anyone money when getting a job (in my city at least) is so easy.

I don't because most of them buy smack, crack or beer with it.

But if I'm in town and see someone who looks genuinely down on their luck, I will often get them something to eat.

Last edited:

xStoyax

Banned
I was younger and watched my dad pull over and over to take a homeless guy across the street and buy him a meal at Wendys. The guy declined and asked for cash instead, which my dad didn't have. We went on to go eat and as we were leaving, the guy was walking out of the liquor store which is paper bag in hand. I've seen it happen more than once. You can't help people who don't want to help themselves.

I'm not paying to enable someones addictions.

JordanN

Banned
I steer clear of them and really hate to see people enable their lifestyle.

In this country, too many opportunities exist for you to not find employment and build a life. I know since I was 16, I never once called it quits and just kept applying and applying until I found something. Even if it meant applying to another city to find work, I did just that. You have to fight to the very end instead of giving up and becoming dependent.

Last edited:

Couleurs

I donate to food banks and homeless shelters, but not to panhandlers. Living in a city with a huge homeless population, I’d go broke if I gave a dollar to every person who asked.

Top Bottom