• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why FF7 remake would probably not work.

StuBurns

Banned
FFVI would be similar to FFIII and FFIV in terms of budget and level of changes, I'd imagine. As it is clear from the comments from SquareEnix, the problem they have with FFVII is the budget would be huge. This already indicates to me they have the wrong idea about the scale of the project relative to the handheld remakes.
The scope of FF6 was way beyond FF4. But even aside from that, the fact SE say it'd cost so much and take so long are to me indications they do want to do right by it. They know they couldn't maintain the scope of FF7 with the graphical quality of XIII without a budget, and time frame that make it completely impossible.

They do have options, they don't have to do it on PS360 firstly. PSV/3DS would be considerably cheaper. They don't have to do it full 3D behind the character style, they can keep it top down, fixed camera etc.

It's always going to be a major project, but again, look at FF4, they did a sequel, they did an interquel too, both crap, neither affected how they presented 4. Despite the sins they may have committed elsewhere for that game, the product itself remained of high quality and true to the source material.

Rolf NB

I suspect that, in good old Japanese tradition, they didn't keep backup copies of the model data for all the backgrounds and CGI sequences around, and would have to start from scratch on them. Polygon models can at least be extracted and reverse-engineered. But once you render a scene into a 2D image and throw the source data away, there's no reversing that anymore.

Amir0x

Banned
hmmm I'm not too sure that SE cares enough about 5 or 6 for that. They will probably rerelease FF4 again for vita/3ds in the ultra delicious complete edition hyper instead =/

you think so? I don't see the point seeing as how 3DS is backward compatible. I think they'd obviously do FFV next if they went down that road, even though I personally feel FFV is the Final Fantasy least requiring a remake - it has a fairly well balanced set of gameplay features, and its job system remains good and holds up quite decently even today. Visually, sure, but I don't think they'd need to do much at all to tinker with the gameplay. Maybe add a few new job classes or something?

Ravage

That's why they should just jump straight to FFVIIIr.

Squall_artwork.jpg

Much better.

I couldn't agree more :p

kafiend

I don't think I have ever had the misfortune to read such tripe as what appeared in the first post. Please please please if you are reading this before checking the first post !!!!DON'T!!!!!

Ra1den

Come to think of it, when characters didn't have voiceovers in RPGs, they weren't loathed as much. .

This is a great point, I'd say it's even threadworthy. This is part of the reason why people's relentless hatred toward modern FF characters is rather misguided, IMO. Or rather, it is inconsistent, if one is OK with similar types of characters in older games, but can't tolerate them now that they have voice acting.

I don't think I have ever had the misfortune to read such tripe as what appeared in the first post. Please please please if you are reading this before checking the first post !!!!DON'T!!!!!

I wish I had the good fortune of seeing your warning first.

I wish T-Frog hadn't included the illustrations so people in this thread couldn't disingenuously bleat out "Durr it's just an illustration". As if the art style is the entire point he's making rather than a broader one about how the character of Cloud himself as well as the tone of the IP has been retconned in the years since the game came out, and now they don't really match.

Although I will offer the caveat that I personally liked Crisis Core (and have less nostalgia for FF7 than a lot of people), so overwriting FF7 with what the franchise has become wouldn't really bother me. In fact, just using CC engine/assets and maybe kicking it up a little for Vita sounds good to me.

In fact, ideally OOT:3DS::FF7:pSV sounds great. I just finished up OoT 3DS, I truly enjoyed OoT more this time than the first time all those years ago. I'd love for the Vita to do the same thing for me for FF7.

Ra1den

I wish T-Frog hadn't included the illustrations so people in this thread couldn't disingenuously bleat out "Durr it's just an illustration". As if the art style is the entire point he's making rather than a broader one about how the character of Cloud himself as well as the tone of the IP has been retconned in the years since the game came out, and now they don't really match.

They don't perfectly match because they are sequels or prequels. How are people having such a hard time understanding this? Crisis Core, Advent Children etc...none of these were REMAKES, so why should they match? They take place before or after FF7. And when you take note of the fact that Crisis Core Cloud was not emo at all, it becomes even more obvious that the writer of that article is full of shit or has the reasoning ability of a pre-schooler.

Sutanreyu

You are wrong. FFVII would sell millions, and your primary argument is that they'd be unable to replicate the way a guy looks? Please.

The real issue is that Square-Enix has by-and-large forgotten how to make good games.

Not how he looks, but how he's depicted. The difference is in the behavior. His 'spirit', if you will.

TommyT

No reply from Jeremy yet? I see what he's saying, and grant that there is a legitimate concern with what he's saying. I would also be fine if things were left the way they were. That said, I would put more confidence (faith?) if a remake were to happen and this explicit scenario would not happen. I think that with so much anticipation and hype there will be obvious letdowns from people as you can't please everyone; however I think it would still capture the theme, tones, what have you of the characters and how they were originally.

I disagree with you Jeremy, but I understand your concern.

PSV/3DS would be considerably cheaper. They don't have to do it full 3D behind the character style, they can keep it top down, fixed camera etc.

I doubt it'd be on Vita in full retail form, as that presents the same problems as making it on PS3, more or less. Another reason why I feel Sony have developed themselves into a hole going for the high tech approach again.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Isn't FFVII the best selling JRPG ever not including Pokemon? IIRC, it sold about 10m copies (not sure if this includes PSN sales).

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Parish hates FF VII though, so its a weird opinion to have in the first place.

Its just overanalyzing an image and he cant even relate to the fans since he dislikes the original anyways, the Cloud in Crisis Core was well portrayed as well as in Dissidia if you actually play the game.

Skilletor

Hasn't everything FF7 related done well?

Dirge as shitty as it was sold well in japan, especially for a shooter.
Crisis Core sold well.
Advent Children sold well.
I know that Cloud and Seph in KH were one of the reasons I bought it, and having the whole FF7 crew in KH2 was a fanboy moment for me.

It just seems like the FF7 brand is really strong. I don't see how a remake wouldn't do well or be worth it.

They don't perfectly match because they are sequels or prequels. How are people having such a hard time understanding this? Crisis Core, Advent Children etc...none of these were REMAKES, so why should they match? They take place before or after FF7.

Huh? I see it exactly the opposite. If something is a sequel starring the same characters, telling the story of what happened after the thing that it's a sequel to, its tone and that of the characters it's depicting should be similar.

A remake IS an opportunity to change the tone, and change the character like Dante and Lara Croft are getting right now.

Unless you're saying that the depiction of "the gang" as they were presented in Advent Children is correct, and the world is just way more somber now after the events of FF7.

And when you take note of the fact that Crisis Core Cloud was not emo at all, it becomes even more obvious that the writer of that article is full of shit or has the reasoning ability of a pre-schooler.

Friendly, free advice you can take or leave: you'll seem much more reasonable if you kick this bullshit down a notch. Also, Jeremy Parish is a very talented writer and one of the few examples of video game journalism that is actually the opposite of that.

Lothar

Banned
Isn't FFVII the best selling JRPG ever not including Pokemon? IIRC, it sold about 10m copies (not sure if this includes PSN sales).

Yeah. The wonders of adverting the game showing nothing but FMV. Half the people in my high school that bought it didn't know what a RPG was and had never played one before. A lot of them hated it.

It would definitely be incorrect to assume that FF7 is the most liked RPG because it sold the most.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
I always read him as a lame version of the Joker.

I mean...seriously? This is straight out of some bad (or even good) batman:

kefka0003.gif

Kefka is whack. /hater

Thats revisionist history, videogame writing back then was, you know, barely even in English.

Zafir

It's an interesting point, and it isn't just the designs either, the personality of Cloud drastically changed between the original game, and Advent Children (and dissidia slightly, though not as extreme). Going from an arrogant jerk, to a emotional wreck. However, I will say I thought Cloud was actually better in Crisis Core than he was in the original game. That could be because I disliked his arrogant attitude in FF7 though.

Skilletor

Thats revisionist history, videogame writing back then was, you know, barely even in English.

I really don't understand your defense. He's not a lame joker since the writing in the game from which he comes is shit?

He's a shitty joker. Don't understand why people think he's a good villain or an interesting character. Always confused me.

Ra1den

Huh? I see it exactly the opposite. If something is a sequel starring the same characters, telling the story of what happened after the thing that it's a sequel to, its tone and that of the characters it's depicting should be similar.

The "tone" in question is specifically Cloud's tone, and whether it fits him. With the events that took place in FF7 and where things were left at the conclusion, this tone of his is perfectly logical, and a main plot point of the film and novels. There is no reason a sequel taking place years after FF7 should miraculously feature a Cloud where he is the same as he was at the beginning of FF7.

StuBurns

Banned
I doubt it'd be on Vita in full retail form, as that presents the same problems as making it on PS3, more or less. Another reason why I feel Sony have developed themselves into a hole going for the high tech approach again.
Just because a game can look beautiful, doesn't mean it has to. 999-2 is on PSV, just a higher res port of the 3DS game. Nothing wrong with that. Game carts are too small anyway.

Just because a game can look beautiful, doesn't mean it has to. 999-2 is on PSV, just a higher res port of the 3DS game. Nothing wrong with that. Game carts are too small anyway.

I know, but I just feel like Sony would get stick for having a title that looked like a 3DS game on their system that's meant to be a mini PS3.

Honestly, I could care less about it being remade - this is almost entirely due to my lack of confidence that SE could make it good. Yeah, I think that a release that has achievements but still retains the original game and content would be more realistic for SE's capability.

As for the article's pov, yeah I also think that Kat Bailey mentioned something similar to this in her podcadt and how FF7 has been retcon'd and noscon'd to hell and this diminishes the charm of the original. A remake would be AC crap.

StuBurns

Banned
I know, but I just feel like Sony would get stick for having a title that looked like a 3DS game on their system that's meant to be a mini PS3.
Of course they wouldn't. Nintendo don't get stick for 3DS games that look like DS games. Image quality alone it'd look significantly better than a 3DS game even if it was identical assets wise.

PSV is not going to be big enough to warrant an exclusive as high profile as FFVIIR, and if they're putting one on 3DS, there's no good reason it wouldn't also be on PSV. In fact, it's unlikely regardless because Sony published FFVII in the West. There's a chance legally speaking they couldn't do it on 3DS if they wanted to. They've touched on complications with releasing some remakes on systems they weren't originally on, and considering they have done that lots, maybe it's because there are contractual stumbling blocks with specific entries, possibly 7 and 10, because of Sony's publishing involvement.

Of course they wouldn't. Nintendo don't get stick for 3DS games that look like DS games. Image quality alone it'd look significantly better than a 3DS game even if it was identical assets wise.

PSV is not going to be big enough to warrant an exclusive as high profile as FFVIIR, and if they're putting one on 3DS, there's no good reason it wouldn't also be on PSV. In fact, it's unlikely regardless because Sony published FFVII in the West. There's a chance legally speaking they couldn't do it on 3DS if they wanted to. They've touched on complications with releasing some remakes on systems they weren't originally on, and considering they have done that lots, maybe it's because there are contractual stumbling blocks with specific entries, possibly 7 and 10, because of Sony's publishing involvement.

Yeah I always thought Sony had a hand in the first few PS1 FF games.

StuBurns

Banned
Yeah I always thought Sony had a hand in the first few PS1 FF games.
Hopefully Sony would allow it if they have to give permission or something. It's a dick move to cockblock it out of spite.

Even so, it's all speculation, just because they published it, doesn't mean they have any say over a remake, it's all down to the specifics of the contract, and we'll never know.

If there's any contract I'd love to see, it's the MGS4 one personally.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
To me Emo is being a bitch and seeking attention for no reason. Given how far Cloud is getting at that point, I think a break down is fair here.

He was kinda whiny when he woke up in Gongaga. The whole hero gets doubtful about his journey and ideals thing is a common one, but usually the hero after some chatter with his companions will cheer right back up and continue on. Cloud kept going but never did quite cheer up!

Yeah, sure, I like games that play themselves.
It's not like you have to farm for hours just to unlock some motherfucking end game spell, the silly golden pigeon, the best limits and stuff like that... No, the issue it's exactly about me liking games that play themselves.

Holy Christ, fans in denial...

Denial of what?? That ya gotta play the game to see all it has to offer? You don't need to grind to beat the game nor do you need any of that extra/optional stuff. Even grinding can be ridiculously easy & quick. Now I'm curious how long it would take to "100%" FFVII. 20 hours? 30 maybe? I may have to find out!

Come to think of it, when characters didn't have voiceovers in RPGs, they weren't loathed as much. The only one who I could think of who was actually loathed was Chu Chu from Xenogears (now imagine that having a voiceover).

Didn't Chu Chu have Pikachu-style "voice acting" in battles or am I misremembering? Either way she'd be disliked cause of how horribly outta place cute animal mascot thingys were in that games world. Darn mandatory rpg cliché of needing environmental themes!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Cait Sith was kinda out-of-place too though.

SykoTech

I'm not sure why anyone would expect them to keep the same style as the original FF7 if they remade it. The FF7 PS3 tech demo received near universal praise when they showed it. That should be a pretty good indication that most people would be more than happy with it looking like that.

Yeah, this. It would be pretty stupid to remake it and make something that looks significantly underwhelming compared to the tech demo that people loved.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I don't know if I'd really want to see a full-on remake, but a more-or-less direct port to handhelds/download services, with a cleaned-up translation and a few new odds-and-ends here and there would be amazing.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Cait Sith was kinda out-of-place too though.

Robots aren't outta place in FFVII! He fit right in at his place of origin the Gold Saucer. I however would mind a redesigned Cait Sith No.2 if the game were ever remade. It seemed like a missed opportunity not to do since by that point everyone knew he was a spy and all.

This may be hard to believe, but this 4chan fellow didn't create the character designs for Final Fantasy VII or Dissidia, Tetsuya Nomura did.

And IGN is not passing the artwork off as their own creation.

No shit Sherlock. I'm talking about an image that's been floating around for years that contains the exact same two pictures, very similar text, and the exact same sentiment. Plagiarize might not be the right word, but it's definitely fishy and kind of pathetic on 1up's part.

StuBurns

Banned
By far the worst thing about that image is the sword is the wrong way up. If he actually had to use that he'd be wasting time changing his grip.

I always thought that the huge swords thing was moronic actually, especially Cloud's.

CorvoSol

Birth By Sleep does get quite a bit of hype in these parts.

Does anyone really like the Dissidia games here? REALLY?

I loved Dissidia. I bought both games in what was almost rapid succession. The plot is iffy, but they're still solid games.

I personally guarantee you that they would not be so heralded if they were released for another platform, say the Wii for example.

Regardless of platform, I would have bought and played the heck out of them. If it had been on a console and allowed me to play with other people in the room, I'd've been ecstatic.

Well I'm down with that, and I hope they do more.

If FFXV shows up, and it's another Nomura-like anime fantasy with a half braindead anime plot to look forward to in 4 years, I'm gonna get depressed :( We need some variety in the main series, like XII was.

I really don't think the plots of games are Nomura's faults these days. Worst case scenario, at least there IS a plot in KH and it IS explained. Even if it IS crazy. That still puts it miles ahead of Toriyama's crap. The Journal and Reports are never necessary to understand a KH game's plot. Third Birthday is barely coherent even AFTER you read all the files.

Best games on the PSP. And if they were on PS3 they'd be one of the best PS3 games too. Dissidia is AWESOME. I love me some Super Smash FF, that's what it basically is.

I want a Vita just to play Dissidia 012 with dat OLED screen and right stick camera control right now.

Yeah, I could get behind this.

Say the games were released for Wii, would you care, at all?

Absolutely. I'd care regardless of platform.

I always read him as a lame version of the Joker.

I mean...seriously? This is straight out of some bad (or even good) batman:

kefka0003.gif

Kefka is whack. /hater

Kefka and the Joker aren't similar at all. The Joker has this obsession with messing with people personally that Kefka absolutely lacks. Likewise, Kefka has a lust for power that the Joker usually doesn't display. The only thing shared between them is their use of the mad clown trope.

Yeah, sure, I like games that play themselves.
It's not like you have to farm for hours just to unlock some motherfucking end game spell, the silly golden pigeon, the best limits and stuff like that... No, the issue it's exactly about me liking games that play themselves.

Holy Christ, fans in denial...

Oh come your argument is silly you in no way need those stuff to complete the game I am no where near the biggest fan of this game either but it was a pretty easy standard jrpg fare where grinding was never a necessity.

For a guy with an Elli Wallach avatar you disappoint me :(

Top Bottom