• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why FF7 remake would probably not work.

Like I said, it'll sell, and it'll probably sell a hell lot. And people would be drooling all over it. But at the same time when the game comes out it can be the nuke to hit SE if they don't pull it off perfectly. If they pull it off perfectly then good but realistically, can they pull it off perfectly.

Yeah. I always thought of VersusXIII as their last chance at not being forever branded as a joke. But I guess when it comes down to it, FFVII will be the last, ultimate thing they can turn to if all else fails. If they mess that up, I can't see how they can possibly recover. I really think the game still has a decent shot at being amazing though. (Assuming they keep Toriyama in check, not experiment with MMO style gameplay, and make the freaking RPG have RPG things like towns, sidequests that aren't just stupid loot/monster hunts, and a story that doesn't force you to read the index. Oh and not pull stupid shit like "get inspired by CoD.") Nomura's games have been great so far. Maybe he can be in charge of it. (And ideally bring back the Gooch and Uematsu for the remake.)

This game is so huge that remaking it would cost bazilillions on home consoles.

So bring on the III-IV esque remakes on 3DS pls.

While ideally I'd want a full-blown, proper, home-console remake, I would not mind an OoT style remake on the 3DS at all.

Beth Cyra

Yeah. I always thought of VersusXIII as their last chance at not being forever branded as a joke. But I guess when it comes down to it, FFVII will be the last, ultimate thing they can turn to if all else fails. If they mess that up, I can't see how they can possibly recover. I really think the game still has a decent shot at being amazing though. (Assuming they keep Toriyama in check, not experiment with MMO style gameplay, and make the freaking RPG have RPG things like towns, sidequests that aren't just stupid loot/monster hunts, and a story that doesn't force you to read the index. Oh and not pull stupid shit like "get inspired by CoD.") Nomura's games have been great so far. Maybe he can be in charge of it. (And ideally bring back the Gooch and Uematsu for the remake.)

While ideally I'd want a full-blown, proper, home-console remake, I would not mind an OoT style remake on the 3DS at all.

No need for Gooch, almost all of the original part of VII and the detective stuff was gone and that was really Nojima and Kitasea's game.

I do agree that Toriyama should stay back, and this is coming from someone who loved X-2 and XIII.

jaxword

The characterization of Cloud in either media was handled by different people.. Why wouldn't there be a disconnect in Cloud's persona? I'm certain that there are all kinds of character details in the VII game and original art, that don't mesh with Cloud as we see him in AC. It's not necessarily a tragedy.. But yes, there was a change somewhere. I think it's quite logical to assume that it was the character designer, a kid hired to give a slightly dark anime look to a much bigger project not originally started by him, who eventually took the reigns of the characterization with the sequel movie, and applied his emo sensibilities to the characterization itself. I mean, it's not like Nomura doesn't do the same "dark leather/pretty hair/stonefaced pretension" thing in nearly even one of his projects, including something based on frickkn Disney. Of course he changed Cloud from the character he didn't originally write, to a new thing altogether.

Nomura created Cloud along with Kitase. Nojima wrote the actual FF7 story.

So Nomura helped create the original design and personality.

A better argument would be that you just dislike how Nomura wrote compilation Cloud, but this stance that he had nothing to do with the original creation is just flat out wrong.

Also, reminder that the Chocobo art is the ONLY art of Cloud happily smiling. You have to realize that an argument is really weak if it's based around one single piece out of 30.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Thing is though, we know for a fact his didn't happen.

Nomura was working on FF since V so it wasn't him being brought on. Not only that but he did influence the story back then.

Tifa didn't origianlly exist and Aerith was planeed to be the love interest the whole way through. Nomura was the one that suggested Tifa and in so doing created one of the most talked about scenes in gaming for years.

He didn't do all the writing and character building, but Nomura was involved not only from deisgns but in otherways so your thoery doesn't jive with what happened.

There's a huge difference between having input into a collaborative project where you are just a junior member among many senior designers....

....and being the auteur director of a movie 8 years later.

It is fair to call AC Nomura's story, but it is not fair to call VII Nomura's story.

Ra1den

When he was young he wasn't timid for long, he wanted to be accepted by the kids in town. Ever since Tifa's accident became brash and hot headed. Picking fights because he thought of himself as weak for failing to protect Tifa, which lead to him joining the military. Fast forward five years and he failed to become a somebody and failed at his promise to Tifa, he was ashamed to show his face around town. Cloud has a lot of changes in this game. Which is the true Cloud? They all are, people gradually change after all.

SE failed to make me believe the confident Cloud we had the end who has accepted his peers and was accepted by them would turn into a self loathing loner. Geostigma might be an excuse, but an upcoming meteor dooming the world didn't make him depressed. A bit out of character.

I believe if we were to swap out regular Cloud with AC Cloud he would end up wanting to do everything himself and moping alone.

Why would Meteor make him depressed? The primary emotion driving Cloud was a desire for revenge against Sephiroth, which is what drives him both in the early and later parts of the game. There's not any reason he'd feel depressed when he had a clear target for his vengeance, who incidentally also happens to be the source of Meteor. But when he defeats Sephiroth, what is he left with? Nothing but his bitter feelings, and his fragile relationships...not hard to imagine he would slowly fall into depression with the object of his entire life suddenly gone and nowhere for his anguish to go.

The Cloud at the end of the game who had again grown confident and accepting of his peers WAS shown in Advent Children, by the way. Ironically (with regards to your post) the entire plot regarding Cloud is about how he went from being like that(his endgame FF7 self, the type of self that is living with Tifa and running an orphanage in the Advent Children years) to his current loner ways. If you choose to ignore that stuff and pretend they just magically show him as a loner then your point may have some merit, but that is not the case. Everything is explained, perhaps not in a straightforward manner and some novel reading is necessary (which may be worthy of criticising Square over), but there is NOTHING out of character.

And it is quite obvious that anything contained in the novelizations was already decided upon at the time of Advent Children's plot conception, as they mesh together perfectly, in fact Advent Children was clearly made with the assumption that the viewer should be familiar with the novels.

Beth Cyra

There's a huge difference between having input into a collaborative project where you are just a junior member among many senior designers....

It is fair to call AC Nomura's story, but it is not fair to call VII Nomura's story.

True, but Nomura did play a role and from the words of both writer and director of Final Fantasy VII he was indeed significant and both of these people feel that he knows the character of Cloud Strife best.

He had a significant role that shapped the plot of the game and continues to be brought into handle the character of Cloud.

As it is there is very little to support your stance.

jaxword

Nojima wrote Advent Children.

No need for Gooch, almost all of the original part of VII and the detective stuff was gone and that was really Nojima and Kitasea's game.

I do agree that Toriyama should stay back, and this is coming from someone who loved X-2 and XIII.

The only thing making me not completely write the guy off is the fact that he's responsible for the whole Wall Market section in VII which many people (including myself) loved. It's amazing but it really seems like so long as he doesn't have full creative freedom, he's capable of coming up with some really charming and fun stuff. (How it all spirals so far down when he's given free-reign is beyond me.)

BocoDragon

Nomura created Cloud along with Kitase. Nojima wrote the actual FF7 story.

So Nomura was part of the original design and personality.

Also, reminder that the Chocobo art is the ONLY art of Cloud happily smiling. You have to realize that an argument is really weak if it's based around one single piece out of 30.

There really weren't 30 pieces of Cloud art floating around back then... there were probably less than 5 :p As someone who ran FF websites back then, I know that well. And the smiling one was something they chose to release to give an indication of the character.

The point is, no one at Square thought that was out of place for Cloud back then... it was well in line with the simple characterization contained in the game.

And the secondary point: AC Cloud would NEVER smile like that. And the smiling Cloud would never brood in an emo pose like that. There was a change. For better or for worse, there was a change.

Ra1den

That art of Cloud is out of sync with the retcon of his character, which based on how much you embrace AC and its novels, you readily accept.

This is where you are going wrong. That art is out of sync with not only Advent Children, but ALL of FF7 as well. There is no retconning going on, other than your attempting to retcon FF7 Cloud into a different character based on a couple pieces of unusually cheery artwork.

The point is, no one at Square thought that was out of place for Cloud back then... it was well in line with the simple characterization contained in the game.

This is rather irrelevant, as the game speaks for itself, regardless of how Square was attempting to portray the character in promo artwork. They wanted to show an image that they felt would be most popular. Remember those full CG FF7 commercials? Square was quite comfortable showing those dishonest ads, weren't they. My point is, it doesn't matter what you see in some art of him, what matters is FF7...the game. And Cloud was NEVER like that Chocobo pic in the game.

Modern Squenix is incapable of releasing the kind of games that made me love them so much in the 90s. Which isn't to say that they don't put out good games still, but compare FF4 to The After Years. I have no doubt in my mind that an FF7 remake would be Advent Children bullshit instead of the goofy game that 7 really was.

Just like the author of this meaningless piece?

Why on earth would you think that. FFVII and FFVII:AC are two years apart and AC explains why cloud is depressed. There is no rational reason to believe that they would have Cloud come of as sulky and depressed instead of stoic and arrogant as he first was.

Comparing those two pic's is lousy as well.

There was nothing sulky about the KH version of cloud
KingdomHeartsCloud.jpg

nor the BC version
CloudCGModel-CrisisCore.png

jaxword

There really weren't 30 pieces of Cloud art floating around back then... there were probably less than 5 :p As someone who ran FF websites back then, I know that well. And the smiling one was something they chose to release to give an indication of the character.

And the secondary point: AC Cloud would NEVER smile like that. And the smiling Cloud would never brood in an emo pose like that. There was a change. For better or for worse, there was a change.

You're losing any point you're trying to make here. Now you're agreeing that there was a change. So therefore whatever you saw him as in F77 is irrelevant as now his personality and character have become something else. There's no error or disconnect here. Things changed. That's it.

Also, Crisis Core has Cloud being the happy kid he was back then, too. So the creators DID deliberately acknowledge he was a different person back then.

Just admit your point is you just don't like current Cloud. It's just dishonest to try to argue that somehow this was an oversight or mistake against the original staff's vision when it's been repeatedly proven that this is just plain wrong.

BocoDragon

This is where you are going wrong. That art is out of sync with not only Advent Children, but ALL of FF7 as well. There is no retconning going on, other than your attempting to retcon FF7 Cloud into a different character based on a couple pieces of unusually cheery artwork.

So you think VII is quite in line with Advent Children styling... and original release artwork is "out of sync".

While I find that original release artwork is quite in line with VII.... and Advent Children seems out of sync.

Clearly we just have a difference of perspective. My playthough of VII was informed by art like that, many years ago.... while someone who embraces what AC brought to the table is unlikely to see it as incongruous with the original game. Let's agree to disagree.

zoukka

Square-Enix won't give a rats ass whether new Cloud is in line with what we thought about him ages ago when the first game was released. If the new audience knows him by AC and all the spin-offs, then that is the "official" Cloud. And if the remake would some day happen, it would be FFVII: AC the game, because that is how it can be assimilated to their production model of today.

Just like the author of this meaningless piece?

Why on earth would you think that. FFVII and FFVII:AC are two years apart and AC explains why cloud is depressed. There is no rational reason to believe that they would have Cloud come of as sulky and depressed instead of stoic and arrogant as he first was.

Comparing those two pic's is lousy as well.

There was nothing sulky about the KH version of cloud
KingdomHeartsCloud.jpg

nor the BC version
CloudCGModel-CrisisCore.png

Pretty much this. I don't know why people think that just because he was one way in AC, then surely that's the way Cloud will be in anything released in the future ever again.

BocoDragon

You're losing any point you're trying to make here. Now you're agreeing that there was a change. So therefore whatever you saw him as in F77 is irrelevant as now his personality and character have become something else. There's no error or disconnect here. Things changed. That's it..

Huh? There being was a change was my only point from the start. Wasn't that basically Parish's point too? They treat the story differently than they did back then.

Just admit your point is you just don't like current Cloud. It's just dishonest to try to argue that somehow this was an oversight or mistake against the original staff's vision when it's been repeatedly proven that this is just plain wrong.

Didn't I say this as well? I said "for better or for worse" many times. It's not objectively worse.... but it is different. That's all.

I just think it's absolutely foolish to say that his characterization in AC was "how he's always been", that it's all a perfect unbroken vision of character who has always been thus.... Or that it can be explained by the fact of him being sad about Geostigma or whatever. He's brooding because Nomura's style is now in charge, and that's what he likes.

jeremy1456

Basically Square-Enix should let Nomura do his own thing.

If anything he has ever influenced has an effect on anything relevant to the past it is going to suck.

In a perfect world Nomura would be no more than a graphics artist... wait... perfect world he wouldn't be working for any game company anywhere.

BocoDragon

If anything he has ever influenced has an effect on anything relevant to the past it is going to suck.

In a perfect world Nomura would be no more than a graphics artist... wait... perfect world he wouldn't be working for any game company anywhere.
I actually like Nomura in some way... I just wish he was only in charge of, like... 1/4th of all FF output. I only dislike that he's become the lord of all things Square Enix.

Square-Enix won't give a rats ass whether new Cloud is in line with what we thought about him ages ago when the first game was released. If the new audience knows him by AC and all the spin-offs, then that is the "official" Cloud. And if the remake would some day happen, it would be FFVII: AC the game, because that is how it can be assimilated to their production model of today.

FFVII might be old, but I doubt any fan of the game, or anyone that watched AC for that matter would consider AC to be the reference point and model of what the game and characters should be like. Even if that was the case though, it's not like SE is a company known for giving the fans exactly what they want as opposed to making risky decisions. Just look at the past recent FF games and how polarizing they are. (Or you know, the fact that we got a crappy AC compilation as opposed to just giving us the damn remake in the first place.)

I get that everyone has different likes and preferences, but I honestly do not get all the unjustified Nomura hate.

jeremy1456

I actually like Nomura in some way... I just wish he was only in charge of, like... 1/4th of all FF output. I only dislike that he's become the lord of all things Square Enix.

He has basically become the Sakaguchi from the 90s of Square, minus the talent in game design.

He's a decent artist though.

Ra1den

So you think VII is quite in line with Advent Children styling... and original release artwork is "out of sync".

What I have been saying is that the character Cloud is at the END of the game had a logical progression into the character we see in Advent Children. I am not letting any art sway my opinion. I'm looking at Cloud in the actual games/movies/novels only.

The earliest glimpses we see of Cloud in Advent Children and the novels are of the Cloud we know from the end of FF7, who has forged something of a relationship with Tifa and is slowly getting his life together. This is shown and refernced repeatedly in AC and the novels.

Now, the main plot of Advent Children is the gradual depression he starts to feel as his burdens weigh on him, again, this is explained and makes PERFECT sense given how FF7 transpires.

I just think it's absolutely foolish to say that his characterization in AC was "how he's always been", that it's all a perfect unbroken vision of character who has always been thus.... Or that it can be explained by the fact of him being sad about Geostigma or whatever. He's brooding because Nomura's style is now in charge, and that's what he likes.
Yourself and some others are dishonestly acting like Cloud is just magically portrayed as super gloomy and emo, but that is not the case. The entire plot of the movie and novels as far as Cloud goes revolves around why he has become depressed, and how he rises above it. It's the whole theme of the film. It is a very appropriate direction for the film to take, to logically continue FF7's story. There is nothing inconsistent. The scars from FF7 didn't just magically disappear after defeating Sephiroth, even if he was able to pull it together to take his revenge.

And a word about Nomura...he obviously likes brooding characters. Does this mean that it is the only reason for Cloud's brooding? What nonsensical logic. What it means is that Nomura was PERFECT for this project, because his style meshes perfectly with the logical path for this story to take. As soon as somebody points out Mr Happy cheery fully healed Cloud to me in the latter parts of FF7, I'll change my mind.

BocoDragon

He has basically become the Sakaguchi from the 90s of Square, minus the talent in game design.

He's a decent artist though.
In his early years he was great, and in recent years he's been great. He found restraint. Around the FFX/KH era, I think he went insanely over the top :p Asymmetrical pants, belt skirts, leather and hoods, etc. :p

See I actually like the first Kingdom Hearts, but, eh...

The absolute majority (if not all) the games that he's been in charge of have been well received by the majority of critics and gamers. I understand that even popular things cannot appeal to everyone, but to completely write him off is nuts.

As for his designs, he has his distinct, signature look and style that's instantly recognizable. If anything, you can argue that its in too many games, but that'd be SE's management's fault for overusing him.

Beth Cyra

Except he isn't.

Since FF VII there have been more Final Fantasies without Nomura then with him.

VII
VIII
X/X2
XIII
VS

compared to
IX
XI
XII
XIV
XIII-2
FF Remakes

This is just main stuff, I think the spin offs are actually more none Nomura then him being in.

BocoDragon

What I have been saying is that the character Cloud is at the END of the game had a logical progression into the character we see in Advent Children. I am not letting any art sway my opinion. I'm looking at Cloud in the actual games/movies/novels only.

The earliest glimpses we see of Cloud in Advent Children and the novels are of the Cloud we know from the end of FF7, who has forged something of a relationship with Tifa and is slowly getting his life together. This is shown and refernced repeatedly in AC and the novels.

Now, the main plot of Advent Children is the gradual depression he starts to feel as his burdens weigh on him, again, this is explained and makes PERFECT sense given how FF7 transpires.

Yourself and some others are dishonestly acting like Cloud is just magically portrayed as super gloomy and emo, but that is not the case. The entire plot of the movie and novels as far as Cloud goes revolves around why he has become depressed, and how he rises above it. It's the whole theme of the film. It is a very appropriate direction for the film to take, to logically continue FF7's story. There is nothing inconsistent. The scars from FF7 didn't just magically disappear after defeating Sephiroth, even if he was able to pull it together to take his revenge.

And a word about Nomura...he obviously likes brooding characters. Does this mean that it is the only reason for Cloud's brooding? What nonsensical logic. What it means is that Nomura was PERFECT for this project, because his style meshes perfectly with the logical path for this story to take. As soon as somebody points out Mr Happy cheery fully healed Cloud to me in the latter parts of FF7, I'll change my mind.

I don't think that storyline beats explain the change in characterization at all.

I believe that if Nomura remade VII today, the whole game would have Cloud as a sullen-but-pretty, posturing asian pop star.... before, during and after Aerith, Zack revelations, Meteor, etc.

I don't disagree that Nomura is "right" for VII, though. VII was made with a pioneering dash of Nomura-ism, so cranking his style up to 11 actually makes a kind of sense. I'd just argue that the storyline and world of VII was not defined by being a kind of Nomura reality back in the day. It's soul was actually classic jRPG, with little squat characters bouncing around in silly situations. It wasn't beautiful anime people standing around all cool. But I know, too, you can never go back again.....

jackdoe

I don't disagree that Nomura is "right" for VII, though. VII was made with a pioneering dash of Nomura-ism, so cranking his style up to 11 actually makes a kind of sense. I'd just argue that the storyline and world of VII was not defined by being a kind of Nomura reality back in the day. It's soul was actually classic jRPG, with little squat characters bouncing around in silly situations. It wasn't beautiful anime people standing around all cool. But I know, too, you can never go back again.....
It was to an extent. However, that silliness clashed with the grim dark aspects of the game and playing it today, it feels kind of off. For example, they have situations where mass murderers who do extremely evil things get caught in some silly situations meant to elicit laughs. I just rolled with it as a kid though.

Ra1den

Thinking more about Geostigma, it was not the cause of peoples anguish(well I'm sure seeing others afflicted caused some anguish), but it was actually the reverse, that it only was able to take hold of the person when that person had fallen into despair, as Cloud and Denzel both did. Put's something of a different spin on those calling it a cheap plot device to give Cloud an excuse to be emo.

And seeing as it came from the corrupted Lifestream (thanks to Sephiroth), it actually is a very well fitting element of the FF7 plotline, in fact it would be perfectly at home in FF7 itself.

jeremy1456

The absolute majority (if not all) the games that he's been in charge of have been well received by the majority of critics and gamers. I understand that even popular things cannot appeal to everyone, but to completely write him off is nuts.

As for his designs, he has his distinct, signature look and style that's instantly recognizable. If anything, you can argue that its in too many games, but that'd be SE's management's fault for overusing him.

As far as I've noticed, the only games highly received were the first Kingdom Hearts and The World Ends With You.

As far as this forum goes, anyway.

Beth Cyra

As far as I've noticed, the only games highly received were the first Kingdom Hearts and The World Ends With You.

FF VII, FF VIII, FF X, KH, KH BBS all had important influences by Nomura and did extremely well both sales wise and critically. Even KH 2 was well recieved just not as postively as the first.

Dissidia which was an idea created by Nomura did well in both sales and reception.

Granted he isn't perfect, 358/2 Days and Coded where both meet pretty harshly and CoM/ReCom where very divided.

Plenty of people love the other Kingdom Hearts games as well. Not to mention the Dissidia games too! The guy has a good track record. I mean, VersusXIII's hype as SE's potential redemption isn't there just cause the game looks pretty.

Ra1den

I will agree that FF7 and Advent Children have different "feels", but I would also say that the feel of Advent Children is perfectly appropriate given where it falls in the mythos timeline, and also the subject matter is deals with. Dirge of Cerberus, Crisis Core, whatever...they all have their own feels, as they should. The important thing is that they keep the canon consistent and logical, and do a good job at whatever path they decide to take with it, which IMO Advent Children does (but don't get me started on Dirge of Cerberus).

Except he isn't.

Since FF VII there have been more Final Fantasies without Nomura then with him.

VII
VIII
X/X2
XIII
VS

I think you just proved his point. If a person is involved in 5 games in the last 15 years from your company's main series - yeah, he is a big shot. You point would be true if he was only involved in 1-2 games over the same time period.

Beth Cyra

I think you just proved his point. If a person is involved in 5 games in the last 15 years from your company's main series - yeah, he is a big shot. You point would be true if he was only involved in 1-2 games over the same time period.

No, he said overlord.

Nomura has had major influence on even less then what is listed there.

Nomura didn't even design all the cast of XIII for god sake.

So less then half of the games isn't overlord. He is popular and he makes characters that alot of people love. That said, there are plenty of Final Fantasies without him.

jeremy1456

Plenty of people love the other Kingdom Hearts games as well. Not to mention the Dissidia games too! The guy has a good track record. I mean, VersusXIII's hype as SE's potential redemption isn't there just cause the game looks pretty.

Birth By Sleep does get quite a bit of hype in these parts.

Does anyone really like the Dissidia games here? REALLY?

Beth Cyra

Birth By Sleep does get quite a bit of hype in these parts.

Does anyone really like the Dissidia games here? REALLY?

They are fun. Granted there wasn't enough content in 012 to make it worth my money but overall they are enjoyable games and a great way to celebrate FF and bring together characters alot of people love.

Lothar

Banned
An interesting reasoning that I haven't seen before. You go T-Frog!

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=9096181

Can you even imagine Zack personality Cloud in HD? HD Cloud that's smiling? Crazyness I say!

This person and anyone agreeing with him did not understand FF7.

The Cloud on the right IS the real Cloud in FF7. The over confidence and the wise remarks were all a front. Deep down he really considered himself a loser and not even close to being good enough to be with Tifa. He was so ashamed that he didn't make it into Soldier that he hid from Tifa and all of his friends. That's why she didn't remember when Cloud returned to their hometown. Because he hid himself from her. He hated himself so much that he created a false identity. Cloud in FF7 is as emo as it gets.

BocoDragon

No, he said overlord.

Nomura has had major influence on even less then what is listed there.

Nomura didn't even design all the cast of XIII for god sake.

So less then half of the games isn't overlord. He is popular and he makes characters that alot of people love. That said, there are plenty of Final Fantasies without him.

Even the games he didn't really design, like XIII-2 have "Character Design: Tetsuya Nomura" right on the title screen. I mean who else in the industry gets credit like that?

Seems pretty fair to call him the current lord of Final Fantasy. Even games he didn't design seem to be shoehorned into his artstyle, with only a few exceptions (XII?).

As I said, I think he's fine enough.... but take the main point: FF should be doing far, far more than Nomura games and Nomura look-a-like games. We are talking about a series that used to be designed by freakin' Amano. They can and should be going in all kinds of bold artistic directions, but they aren't.

At least there's Yoshida. There should be even more divergent artstyles.

jeremy1456

They are fun. Granted there wasn't enough content in 012 to make it worth my money but overall they are enjoyable games and a great way to celebrate FF and bring together characters alot of people love.

I personally guarantee you that they would not be so heralded if they were released for another platform, say the Wii for example.

Final Fantasy VII is a gem, I don't want it to be touched, I don't want it to be remade !

Move on with the series Squeenix ! leave FFVII alone in video game heaven.

Beth Cyra

Even the games he didn't really design, like XIII-2 have "Character Design: Tetsuya Nomura" right on the title screen. I mean who else in the industry gets credit like that?

Seems pretty fair to call him the current lord of Final Fantasy. Even games he didn't design seem to be shoehorned into his artstyle, with only a few exceptions (XII?).

As I said, I think he's fine enough.... but take the main point: FF should be doing far, far more than Nomura games and Nomura look-a-like games. We are talking about a series that used to be designed by freakin' Amano. They can and should be going in all kinds of bold artistic directions, but they aren't.

At least there's Yoshida. There should be even more divergent artstyles.

That happened one time, and it was less Nomura being overlord and OH SHIT WE ARE MAKING A SEQUEL THAT WE SHOULDN'T HAVE FUCKING MADE.

I personally guarantee you that they would not be so heralded if they were released for another platform, say the Wii for example.

For others maybe not, but for me my praise and feelings on the game would be exactly the same. As it stands the PSP was the worst part of Dissidia.

That is why we don't see his name plastered all over Final Fantasy XI despite him designing the elves or why the very first thing we see when boot into Dissidia is about Amano and the game being in part a celebration of his type of art design.

They have had multiple types of designs from the Western Euro look of XII and XIV to the less detailed but crazy stuff in the Crystal Chronicles games and even stuff like 4 Warriors of Light and now Bravery Default Flying Fairy.

BocoDragon

That happened one time, and it was less Nomura being overlord and OH SHIT WE ARE MAKING A SEQUEL THAT WE SHOULDN'T HAVE FUCKING MADE.

That is why we don't see his name plastered all over Final Fantasy XI despite him designing the elves or why the very first thing we see when boot into Dissidia is about Amano and the game being in part a celebration of his type of art design.

They have had multiple types of designs from the Western Euro look of XII and XIV to the less detailed but crazy stuff in the Crystal Chronicles games and even stuff like 4 Warriors of Light and now Bravery Default Flying Fairy.

Well I'm down with that, and I hope they do more.

If FFXV shows up, and it's another Nomura-like anime fantasy with a half braindead anime plot to look forward to in 4 years, I'm gonna get depressed :( We need some variety in the main series, like XII was.

Beth Cyra

If FFXV shows up, and it's another Nomura-like anime fantasy with a half braindead anime plot to look forward to in 4 years, I'm gonna get depressed :( We need some variety in the main series, like XII was.

That I won't argue. I may not like all Final Fantasy's but I like to that they change and bring new experinces so keeping them fresh is nothing but good even if I don't like the end product.

Umm variety in what? Different, gorgeous art-direction? Sure, XII nailed that. Competent and compelling story? Might wanna use a different game as an example.

Top Bottom