• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will PS4K lead to a new generation of bullshots and downgrades?

jdstorm

Banned
I think the new Xbox as a Windows platform will lead to far more bull shots then anything Sony can offer.

Microsoft will be able to show footage running on a computer easily worth 10 thousand dollars, and Truthfully say that the game will be able to run like that. however clearly that experience will be beyond the average user for a very long time.

orioto

Good Art™
Of course, but the bullshots are not the real problems i think.

The real problem is when you won't know how bad the vanilla version is till you buy it, cause the press won't ever have it. I can feel that.

Alphahawk

Of course, but the bullshots are not the real problems i think.

The real problem is when you won't know how bad the vanilla version is till you buy it, cause the press won't ever have it. I can feel that.

I can see why you would say that, but I think there's a big difference between the hundreds of SKU's you could get for PC and Playstation which has two options.

Honestly it would make more sense for journalist to ignore the Neo version or add that as an aside later, than it would in the opposite scenario.

I expect all marketing for games now to be used with the ps4k, and as an excuse for shitty performance on the ps4.

"we weren't lying, we were just showing the ps4k version!".

It just means we can't take footage at reveals seriously anymore.

Nice!
I would argue the opposite. Devs will focus on the model with 30 million units in the wild and the improvements to the model with a couple million will be marginal.

Early adaptors who upgrade to PS4k are the ones who spend much money on games. These are the ones most publishers/developers target. The rest who plays CoD/Madden/FIFA and barely buys other games or the ones who can not afford PS4k or many games are only an afterthought.

Fbh

I've said it in another thread, but I bet everything we've seen of Uncharted 4 so far has been running on a PS4K.

If the ps4k was already out then absolutely.

But the game is comming months before the console.

It would give them a lot of bad press if the game releases with a considerable graphical downgrade and they go like "You can still get the version we advertised....in a few months on the ps4k"

orioto

Good Art™
I can see why you would say that, but I think there's a big difference between the hundreds of SKU's you could get for PC and Playstation which has two options.

Honestly it would make more sense for journalist to ignore the Neo version or add that as an aside later, than it would in the opposite scenario.

I remember cross games or multi games where we didn't really see the weakest link till it's released. Some early xbo ports where they didn't want journalists to talk about the rez for example.

Devs WILL try to hide the embarrassing facts. Only if the vanilla versions are bad of course.

KORNdoggy

As someone who refuses to upgrade to a PS4K.... I hate to hear that but you're totally right. I don't feel like a second class citizen though.... but if finding original PS4 footage of games becomes a rarity.....

it's only natural tbh. it's not like many devs where eager to demo xbox one footage of multiplatform console games. they always opted for PS4. showing off the best version of your game is hardly new.

Melchiah

I've said it in another thread, but I bet everything we've seen of Uncharted 4 so far has been running on a PS4K.

The hyperbole never ceases to amaze and amuse me. It would be absurd to show the PS4K version, when the game is out in 20 days, and the system doesn't even have a launch date yet.

Clockwork5

Early adaptors who upgrade to PS4k are the ones who spend much money on games. These are the ones most publishers/developers target. The rest who plays CoD/Madden/FIFA and barely buys other games or the ones who can not afford PS4k or many games are only an afterthought.

No publishers target the largest possible audience.

Oh wait, your Fifa/Cod/Madden comment shows how little thought you have put into this. It seems like there are a lot of GAFers who won't be buying NEO do they only play Madden or are they broke? Which one is it?

JRW

Yea I'm not to sure about this idea either but kind of glad we're not stuck with the same hardware for 7+ years like with 360 / PS3.

Sony shouldnt show PSPoor footage alongside PS4K/Neo footage, thats just going to tell people how much better the NEO is compared to the piece of shit you have connected to your TV and Im not sure Sony wants to do that.

After October, every developer HAS release a patch that support Neo Mode and by November games need to have a Neo Mode incorporated with all shipped games.

This to me doesn't seem like a lot of time for basically what is another version of the game

Why on earth would they ever show the ps4k version of multiplatform games over doing what they're doing right now: showing it running on a high end pc that is much more powerful , or even showing an offline in engine render (so many games do this).

Maybe for exclusives they'll now show the ps4k version in trailers, but for most games nothing will change and the ps4k version will not even be a factor in marketing

mclem

This, the only difference is that for PS4 exclusives they'll always show the PS4K versions for PR purposes.

It reminds me of these days:

pJpxOPU.jpg

...but with a screenshot on a cassette inlay being replaced with a bells-and-whistles massive trailer being played out on an E3 stage.

(Actually, I wonder if we'll see that footnote reappear on boxes?)

hodgy100

They aren't bullshots if they are running on actual hardware. We will just have to rely on news outlets to still use the base PS4. I assume reviews will cover both versions and digital foundary most certainly will cover them.

Top Bottom