• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.

Totakeke

No region locking problems for me so far. Some of the Store links aren't working though.

Also doesn't seem to work with WHS2011, connector won't install fully.

Haven't been following the thread too closely but Thurrott posted something about a power user feature for the Start Menu:

You can click this tip to invoke the Start action. However, power users will want to check out the unique right-click menu which is only available from the mouse:

start_tip2.jpg

Keyboard: To access the Start action from the keyboard, just tap the WINKEY button. Or, tap CTRL + ESC.

Kud Dukan

Installed and so far, I like it. Installing Visual Studio 2010 right now and hoping that goes well so I can use this for my class work.

NH Apache

Banned
It's annoying to have to swype down with my mouse to access sounds and network and stuff. Is there an alternative?

Also, say I install an older program that I usually run in compatibility mode for win7. How can I do that in 8? when I right click on a program in metro, I have limited options, not even a properties.

PSGames

That Josh guy doesn't get on your nerves? On all the shows and Podcasts they do he comes off as a complete dufus.

Yes he does. His need to throw idiotic jokes around constantly is very annoying. But TheVerge is better than the alternatives.

KevinRo

Just ran this on virtualbox. Not impressed. A UI layered on another UI. smh

Looks like I'll be sticking with Windows7 for another XP 10 year run.

t-ramp

Posting from Windows 8 Consumer Preview. It's working now, but I had some bad freezing problems before I got my video drivers installed.

Do they have a ETA for this to hit the store shelves?

I'm not sure If I will replace my main Win7 with Win8 or not, but since it has its own form of drive extender I will definitely be updating my other PC running windows home server

Randdalf

Well, this preview has told me one thing - I'm not upgrading from Windows 7. Metro feels really tacked on and is really unnecessary on desktops.

Just ran this on virtualbox. Not impressed. A UI layered on another UI. smh

Looks like I'll be sticking with Windows7 for another XP 10 year run.

I'm installing on Virtualbox now but from what I remember from the dev version was that it performed like garbage on VMs but worked great natively. I'm guessing thats still the case.

Yes he does. His need to throw idiotic jokes around constantly is very annoying. But TheVerge is better than the alternatives.

Joshua Topolsky is going to come to your house...

clav

...because my download speeds start at 500kbs and slow down to 90kbs every time I try?

Use a program like GetRight to store your download.

Also, I'm going to guess you're on cable, so SpeedBoost kicks in for the first part (10 MB?) and then you're throttled.

Totakeke

Messaging app is kinda confusing, there's no list of contacts currently online?

Also there needs to be a shortcut key for searching within apps.. or I'm missing something.

kehs

Banned
You can close apps by right clicking. Thank you MS.

As soon as a tablet with a keyboard docks shows up, it's mine.

Messaging app is kinda confusing, there's no list of contacts currently online?

Also there needs to be a shortcut key for searching within apps.. or I'm missing something.

All searching within apps is done via the search charm. You can get to it via mouse (right corners), keyboard (win + c), or you can jump straight to the Search charm specifically via hokey (win + q).

Kaladin

Well fuck, I can't do Windows 8 Consumer Preview.

PlayReady PC runtime

This app won't work in Windows 8 Consumer Preview, and needs to be uninstalled before Windows 8 Consumer Preview can continue installing.

I need this app for my tv tuner.

Since I am doing a partition, should I be able to uninstall this, and re-install it after I install Windows 8?

okenny

Banned
here is the preview conclusion from Verge

http://www.theverge.com/2012/2/29/2832640/windows-8-consumer-preview-pictures-video

Who to believe? Engadget or Verge? ;)

I think Engadget is digging for reasons simply to sound critical. The said that the removal of the start button would be confusing to people who've never used Windows (in the video attached to their Windows 8 story). That sounded so silly I shook my head.

Their anger that IE 10 are different application is a bit silly. While I agree that it would have been slick to share favorites and history, it's been clear from day 1 that metro apps and desktop apps were not the same. They hinged their entire argument on not coexisting on that silly premise.

kehs

Banned
You can close them even faster by just using middle click. It's still far from necessary though.

Using it on a chromebook with just a touchpad at the moment. I do wish the recent apps would show at least the icon, kinda hard to tell what's what.

Jadedx

Banned
I think Engadget is digging for reasons simply to sound critical. The said that the removal of the start button would be confusing to people who've never used Windows (in the video attached to their Windows 8 story). That sounded so silly I shook my head.

Their anger that IE 10 are different application is a bit silly. While I agree that it would have been slick to share favorites and history, it's been clear from day 1 that metro apps and desktop apps were not the same. They hinged their entire argument on not coexisting on that silly premise.

Engadget is full of apple dickriders, I take none of their ms reviews seriously.

t-ramp

So how big is the size of the OS after it's installed?
One thing you can do to immediately free up a couple gigabytes is to disable hibernation. Start a command prompt with administrator authority and run "powercfg h off". Unless you want to use hibernation, obviously. You can also reduce the page file size through the advanced system settings panel.

Also, why the heck isn't .NET Framework 3.5 installed with the OS? It's in the .ISO for the love of God.

Kaladin

Well fuck, I can't do Windows 8 Consumer Preview.

I need this app for my tv tuner.

Since I am doing a partition, should I be able to uninstall this, and re-install it after I install Windows 8?

Ok, so I removed the program in question and everything seems to still be working. Proceeding with my install.

clav

One thing you can do to immediately free up a couple gigabytes is to disable hibernation. Start a command prompt with administrator authority and run "powercfg h off". Unless you want to use hibernation, obviously. You can also reduce the page file size through the advanced system settings panel.

Also, why the heck isn't .NET Framework 3.5 installed with the OS? It's in the .ISO for the love of God.

Just be warned if you turn off hibernation, you can't take advantage of fastboot.

You'll have Windows 7 boot speeds.

Ok, so I removed the program in question and everything seems to still be working. Proceeding with my install.
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=28966
(x64)

dLMN8R

the charms bar is a bitch to access with a mouse on dual monitors

Just FYI, a ton of people who work for Microsoft use dual monitors. This is well-known feedback, almost guaranteed to be addressed.

In the meantime, the shortcuts help a lot - win+C, win+Q, etc.

kehs

Banned
These metro apps need a sense of hierarchy. I have no idea what portion of the app I'm in, or in the case of messaging....that I left and am now in messenger.

Also accessing the options with jamming the mouse to the top, then right clicking, only to have the option bar appear in the bottom? wtf.

So how does file navigation work in Windows 8? With no start bar do you have to open file explorer from the dock and then start navigating? Seems like that's more annoying that having the shortcuts to user folder, my computer, etc. on the start menu or am I missing something?

Using it on a chromebook with just a touchpad at the moment. I do wish the recent apps would show at least the icon, kinda hard to tell what's what.

How does it run on the Atom? I found a crappy tablet with an N550 for about 260 and if Windows 8 runs okay-ish, then I'd seriously consider it. It even has a 4:3 XGA display <3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom