• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the old WebOS tablet, I wouldn't mind putting W8 on it if I could.

This UI is definitely going to shine on Tablets, I honestly believe that it will all but wipe out Android Tablets and probably hurt Apple's market share more than the "Tech Sites" want to admit.

I agree it will wipe out android tablets. I don't agree that it will have a significant impact on iPad sales. By the time this is released out iOS6 will probably be released, maturing the OS even more. I just don't see ipad owners jumping ship for a Windows 8 tablet. I agree that iPad marketshare might go down.. but it will still be the best selling tablet on the planet by a wide, wide margin. I honestly think Apple WANTS microsoft to do reasonable well in the tablet space, as it will impede much of the traction Android might have.

Anyway, whats the best way to try this on a mac without installing it to the HDD? I successfully installed it in VB, but the performance annoyed me. I want a more native environment.

shamo42

Where the fuck is my start button? I don't want to use that weird xbox360 style touchscreen interface.

And to close one of those ugly colored fullscreen apps I'm supposed to drag my cursor from the top all the way down to the bottom of the screen? WTF...

If there's is no way to get 100% rid of this kindergarten shit, I'm skipping windows 8.

Honestly I've used a shit-ton of OSes, but this is the first time that I've truly been confused on multiple occasions while using the OS, and dumb-founded as to how to accomplish basic tasks. I agree with Engadget's assessment:
Now, as we creep closer to a likely release near the end of this year, we can’t shake a sense of doubt. Windows 8 still feels like two very different operating systems trying to be one.

It seems.. overwhelming in a way.

shamo42

Honestly I've used a shit-ton of OSes, but this is the first time that I've truly been confused on multiple occasions while using the OS, and dumb-founded as to how to accomplish basic tasks. I agree with Engadget's assessment:

I agree. Users should be able to chose during installation between "tablet/metro" or "desktop".

MrBig

Where the fuck is my start button? I don't want to use that weird xbox360 style touchscreen interface.

And to close one of those ugly colored fullscreen apps I'm supposed to drag my cursor from the top all the way down to the bottom of the screen? WTF...

If there's is no way to get 100% rid of this kindergarten shit, I'm skipping windows 8.

I've actually been having a really nice time with it during the couple hours I've been playing around. Right click a window in the side panel to close it without dragging anything.
Might want to play around with it some more and see how it can help you before you shun it.

kehs

Banned
I agree it will wipe out android tablets. I don't agree that it will have a significant impact on iPad sales. By the time this is released out iOS6 will probably be released, maturing the OS even more. I just don't see ipad owners jumping ship for a Windows 8 tablet. I agree that iPad marketshare might go down.. but it will still be the best selling tablet on the planet by a wide, wide margin. I honestly think Apple WANTS microsoft to do reasonable well in the tablet space, as it will impede much of the traction Android might have.

Anyway, whats the best way to try this on a mac without installing it to the HDD? I successfully installed it in VB, but the performance annoyed me. I want a more native environment.

This might get you started, haven't done it myself though.

http://tweaks.com/windows/52279/how-to-create-a-windows-to-go-usb-drive/

This is actually more a problem of presentation than it is if usage functionality. Hidden controls are fantastic, but the user needs to be hand held through the usage pattern. webOS had the same hump to get over with their gesture bar. I LOVE hidden controls, but I definitely see frustration from regular people trying to comprehend them for the first time.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Closing the apps is not an issue for me, and you don't really need to close them either.

The USA today app is nice. Funny though, the mouse scroll wheel won't go from left to right in the article, but you can use the left/right click of the scroll wheel to cycle articles. Dev's have a lot to learn with metro, but the potential is great.

Milchjon

Bummer. I'm a huge fan of WP7 and Metro, and hoped they could make it work. But it looks like early suspicions came true. The thing is, I'm sure there are a lot of improvements and I've seen some nice details, but in the end it won't matter if it's a half-assed concept.

Blah blah, you just don't like change, blah blah...

I love change. But there should be some tutorial after install for mouse gestures etc, instead of having to randomly stick the mouse in different corners to find out how to do stuff. There's absolutely no discoverability.

I still don't get it.

ylZS3.png

How does this layout make any sense.

And how can I deselect twitter from the stream? I don't any twitter accounts or messages in my people hub, but I don't want to delete the account either.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I still don't get it.

ylZS3.png

And how can I deselect twitter from the stream? I don't any twitter accounts or messages in my people hub, but I don't want to delete the account either.

Yeah there is definitely a lot of app tweaking that needs to happen, which shouldn't be too difficult. Looking forward to seeing what the MetroTwit guys come up with.

None, really. windows 8 is going to be great for new users/devices, but most users currently on win 7 won't be moving to 8 unless it's on a tablet.

That's what I thought. This is a bad move for Microsoft. They are going to screw up their core money maker to try and get a cut of tablet sales.

Somnid

Again, what are the benefits to this OS if you don't want to use metro?

Faster
More stable
Uses less resources
More secure
Faster boot
UEFI support
Native USB 3.0 support
Trusted module support
Better power management
Better management of metered connections
Better management of file transfers
Improved task manager
Native PDF reader
Native support for mounting/writing ISOs VHDs
Better virtualization support
Better language support
Better accessibility options
Better support for sensors (gyro, magnetic, accelerometer)
Skydrive integration (browse hard drive via web, app support)
Cloud profile
App Syncing
New security options (Picture password, pin, 2-step auth)
New recovery options (reset apps, reformat)
Windows Store (Metro)
Better support for Pen and Touch interfaces
Better harddisk management (ReFS, Storage Spaces)

Basically it's better in every single way.

PaulLFC

Wanted to try and get this installed tonight but it's not going well so far!

I've created a VHD, and I can see it in Windows (it's at C:\vhd\w8.vhd), but every time I get to the "select a partition" part of the Windows 8 install where you have to attach the vdisk, it doesn't seem to work.

I launch Diskpart, type select vdisk file=C:\vhd\w8.vhd and press enter, but I always get an error that Diskpart can't find the specified file (or something similar, can't remember the exact wording). I've tried the file path with and without quotes, and with C:\ capitalised and not capitalised, but I always get the same error.

When I reboot into Windows 7, I can see the .vhd file in the right location, so I'm not sure what the problem is really.

Mr_Zombie

I still don't get it.

Same here:

The main message covers about 2/3 of the screen (even though twitter/facebook messages are usually rather short), and just 1/3 of the screen is devoted to comments. Oh, and check out this tiny comment box down there. :|

Some of those apps have serious usability problems. However, according to an article on supersite for windows, most of those apps started development process in november, after the release of Win8 DP, so that justify those problems a little bit.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I love change. But there should be some tutorial after install for mouse gestures etc, instead of having to randomly stick the mouse in different corners to find out how to do stuff. There's absolutely no discoverability.

It's a preview. If you're installing beta software expect to do a little extra work to figure stuff out and expect that not everything is working or finished yet.

andshrew

Wanted to try and get this installed tonight but it's not going well so far!

I've created a VHD, and I can see it in Windows (it's at C:\vhd\w8.vhd), but every time I get to the "select a partition" part of the Windows 8 install where you have to attach the vdisk, it doesn't seem to work.

I launch Diskpart, type select vdisk file=C:\vhd\w8.vhd and press enter, but I always get an error that Diskpart can't find the specified file (or something similar, can't remember the exact wording). I've tried the file path with and without quotes, and with C:\ capitalised and not capitalised, but I always get the same error.

When I reboot into Windows 7, I can see the .vhd file in the right location, so I'm not sure what the problem is really.

Try putting the file location in " " if you haven't already ie. select vdisk file="C:\vhd\w8.vhd". You could also check that what the Windows install process has mapped as C is actually the same as in your Windows 7 install. It could be D:\ or something.

Can I update from the first preview build?

I installed a fresh copy on Parallels Mac
Touch pad didn't.work
Graphics went all shitty so I deleted

I opened up the dev version i had before and updated .... now Works like a charm.
Have my Gmail and exchange accounts synching. Facebook stuff showing up. All my contacts and calendars are right there.

I'm thinking of using this Metro style a little in a web app I'm building
Not too much of it just a bit. Its pleasant to navigate and bold.

PaulLFC

Try putting the file location in " " if you haven't already ie. select vdisk file="C:\vhd\w8.vhd". You could also check that what the Windows install process has mapped as C is actually the same as in your Windows 7 install. It could be D:\ or something.
I tried the first one but had no luck with it, thanks though! How would I find what the install has mapped Windows 7 to? I suppose I could just keep trying different letters in place of C:\ but I'm guessing there's a better way
3AQmK.gif

Edit: Ah, according to one of the tutorials I found I can just launch Notepad and use the File dialog to see where the file is. Will give that a try!

andshrew

I tried the first one but had no luck with it, thanks though! How would I find what the install has mapped Windows 7 to? I suppose I could just keep trying different letters in place of C:\ but I'm guessing there's a better way
3AQmK.gif

Edit: Ah, according to one of the tutorials I found I can just launch Notepad and use the File dialog to see where the file is. Will give that a try!

That's certainly an interesting way! I was just going to suggest typing DIR and working through the drive letters until you find the one you want... I can't imagine it being too far up the alphabet if it isn't C :p

Somnid

Any evidence of these compared to Windows 7?

Definitely. Trusted platform module and UEFI (if you have it) secure the boot process which offers protection from root kits. You also have 2-step in case you lose your laptop, and picture password which is easier to remember and harder to brute force. Windows store also provides a bit of wall-garden so it's most definitely more secure for users.

It is absolute faster and performs better. Also because of the improved task manager you can pause programs as well as profile them to see which is using the most RAM/Network/CPU time. It will keep a lower RAM footprint than 7 and should perform better in general.

Stability is a harder one to vouch for especially since this is still beta. One notable area of improvement is large file transfers. They don't completely bog down your system and you can pause and resume them where in Win 7 these were slow and could get messed up if you were doing other things (I lost a harddrive this way).

jagowar

You won't see current ipad owners jumping ship but the growth will significantly stall in the wake of windows 8 imo. ipad now is at like 100 million units.... in the windows world that really isn't that much.... windows 8 will have that after a year even if it gets branded as vista 2.0. Which is the beauty and curse of windows 8 in that the same os will be on pc's and tablets and potentially phone.

zou

Any way to disable the focus input field on hover? I always hated it with Chrome and it's absolutely fucking annoying, it's impossible to use when tabbing through fields. If I barely move the mouse pointer, it selects whatever field I clicked into to in the beginning. Fucking garbage.

Also, how do I disable the damn location bar popping in ever single time I load a page or click a link? Or alternatively, can I force it to always show?

Reversed

Looks okay. I'm glad the MOD4 functions still work (because I roll like that).

Right now it's a sin; no drivers installed, and some won't work according to the installer. :'( Will fix ASA... I find my CD driver installer. Wanna see this baby at 1920 x 1080. :D

Edit: I suggest you people to resize your disk to create a partition.

2nd: That fish is hella weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom