• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Not being able to multi-task in Metro certainly put a damper on my Win8 excitement. Running one app at a time kinda sucks with out easy access to a taskbar.

Also, the more I use this, the more I realize how unintuitive everything is. Accessing the charms bar and the open apps by mousing to the extremes of the screen is stupid. My friend and I (both comp sci majors and tech geeks) couldn't figure out how to do it. It just seemed to come up randomly. The gestures never worked consistently (probably an issue with my touch screen drivers not being optimized), but touch just sucks on my HP TM2. Not being able to click-drag the main start screen is stupid, I still can't figure out how to move icons using touch. Some menus in some apps move by mousing to the edge, some don't, so there's no consistency across the UI even on MS apps.

I know this is MS, not Apple, but this just isn't cohesive or intuitive, it's a mess. I hope MS doesn't think this thing is anywhere near ready for prime time. I can't imagine the headache of teaching someone how to use this compared to regular windows (which they're used to) or iOS, which just fricking works like you expect it to.

Edit: I thought Brotkasten was trolling or being hyperbolic, but this thing is so far removed from Windows Phone 7. That just works, is intuitive and all that. This thing is just all over the place.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
In the People App I get an error for my personal tab stating...

"We can't get your notifications because your account info isn't up to date. Update your info."​

Yet I've updated my info and it's all good?

Also do I need to install Zune to get my Samsung Focus to work?

Xyber

I generally like it. Metro when done right looks way better than 7/Vista/XP. Start screen, welcome screen, windows update, etc make 7 look as old as XP. At first ribbon on desktop is "goddammit, I'm old and refuse to change" but it actually makes sense and has a short learning curve. Putting Control Panel in My Computer makes sense.

Some minor annoyances:
1. I go out of my way to put My Computer on desktop so I can open multiple instances of network paths or directories. I used to do this with network paths using the start menu text box, which doesn't exist with the metro start screen.
2. Rebooting, windows update, etc seem buried, which makes sense for the general public but not for power users.
3. Recycle bin has ribbon...why? I just want to empty or restore.

I like it enough to use it in my next PC built, definitely with a tablet/touchLaptop, but not enough to upgrade 7 PCs.

1: Press Win+E to open up a new explorer window, if that's what you mean.

2: It took me like 20 minutes to find the reboot button, that's fucked up. Yes, I know I can use Ctrl+Alt+Del to get that button but I wanted to find the real one that didn't require me using the keyboard.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
2: It took me like 20 minutes to find the reboot button, that's fucked up. Yes, I know I can use Ctrl+Alt+Del to get that button but I wanted to find the real one that didn't require me using the keyboard.

Yeah it's in the right gadget/sidebar/charm or whatever it's called under...settings? It's not a setting. It's an action. Unless a computer's state being off is a setting...

kehs

Banned
Not being able to multi-task in Metro certainly put a damper on my Win8 excitement. Running one app at a time kinda sucks with out easy access to a taskbar.

Also, the more I use this, the more I realize how unintuitive everything is. Accessing the charms bar and the open apps by mousing to the extremes of the screen is stupid. My friend and I (both comp sci majors and tech geeks) couldn't figure out how to do it. It just seemed to come up randomly. The gestures never worked consistently (probably an issue with my touch screen drivers not being optimized), but touch just sucks on my HP TM2. Not being able to click-drag the main start screen is stupid, I still can't figure out how to move icons using touch. Some menus in some apps move by mousing to the edge, some don't, so there's no consistency across the UI even on MS apps.

I know this is MS, not Apple, but this just isn't cohesive or intuitive, it's a mess. I hope MS doesn't think this thing is anywhere near ready for prime time. I can't imagine the headache of teaching someone how to use this compared to regular windows (which they're used to) or iOS, which just fricking works like you expect it to.

Edit: I thought Brotkasten was trolling or being hyperbolic, but this thing is so far removed from Windows Phone 7. That just works, is intuitive and all that. This thing is just all over the place.

To bring up the recent apps drag cursor along the side of the screen after mousing to the corner of the screen. This works for both top and bottom left gestures. I love the fact that they further expounded on the zero pixel idea. It's an inverse relation to the zero pixel idea when using a touch screen from the outside in.

You can't click and drag on the start screen? Don't you just long press and then drag with a touch screen? Shit works perfect with a mouse, and if you drag straight up or down, you'll go to semantic view to make moving easier.

Apps are buggy as mentioned numerous times, assumption being that they'll work like the start menu does.

I'm in fucking bizarro world, I'm enjoying the shit out of w8 and all the winheads are hating it.

MrBig

Put your mouse in the bottom/top right corner to bring up the charms menu, enter the settings, click power.

Xyber

I'm in fucking bizarro world, I'm enjoying the shit out of w8 and all the winheads are hating it.

I really like it too, just some stupid things that needs to be fixed. Just being able to get to my mail in like 2 seconds without signing in somewhere is really nice.

There is some issues with side scrolling and stuff, but I hope they can make it more usable for us desktop users soon.

Put your mouse in the bottom/top right corner to bring up the charms menu, enter the settings, click power.

Yeah, I know that now. Rebooting your computer is not a damn setting though and I don't see why anyone would check there when looking for it.

cbox

I hope they allow us to click and drag the scrolling sections, much like unlocking the main screen.

Vanillalite

To bring up the recent apps drag cursor along the side of the screen after mousing to the corner of the screen. This works for both top and bottom left gestures. I love the fact that they further expounded on the zero pixel idea. It's an inverse relation to the zero pixel idea when using a touch screen from the outside in.

You can't click and drag on the start screen? Don't you just long press and then drag with a touch screen? Shit works perfect with a mouse, and if you drag straight up or down, you'll go to semantic view to make moving easier.

Apps are buggy as mentioned numerous times, assumption being that they'll work like the start menu does.

It's harder to keep things running though as Win 8 always wants to suspend tasks. Like lets say you want to just listen to something from youtube, but you don't want IE up at all. If you go to another program it auto suspends IE.

Of course if you have something playing in the old desktop sandbox and try and multitask it works like normal.

PS: Hard to tell if I like it or not yet as like the dev preview I spend like 99% of my time in the old desktop sandbox because all of my programs I actually use don't have metro apps yet.

rozay

Banned
It's harder to keep things running though as Win 8 always wants to suspend tasks. Like lets say you want to just listen to something from youtube, but you don't want IE up at all. If you go to another program it auto suspends IE.

Of course if you have something playing in the old desktop sandbox and try and multitask it works like normal.

PS: Hard to tell if I like it or not yet as like the dev preview I spend like 99% of my time in the old desktop sandbox because all of my programs I actually use don't have metro apps yet.
Is this always the case for metro apps (suspending) or are there background services that can be used? Example a metro skype app-would it be suspended and not answer incoming calls?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Is this always the case for metro apps (suspending) or are there background services that can be used? Example a metro skype app-would it be suspended and not answer incoming calls?
Steven Sinofsky - Windows Blog said:
So basically, this means that an app can be in one of three possible states:

• Actively running in the foreground
  • Suspended in the background
  • Performing some defined background activity
Steven Sinofsky - Windows Blog said:
We took a scenario-focused approach to enable the most common tasks that apps would need to do in the background. Here is what we enable in the background for Metro style apps in WinRT:

• Playing music
  • Downloading a file from or uploading it to a website
  • Keeping live tiles alive with fresh content
  • Printing
  • Receiving a VoIP call
  • Receiving an instant message
  • Receiving an email
  • Sharing content (like uploading photos to Facebook)
  • Synchronizing content with a tethered device (like syncing photos)
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/02/07/improving-power-efficiency-for-applications.aspx

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

I don't know what you're talking about, but none of that works on my laptop. Pinch/zoom works for semantic view, but I can't click/drag like I can in the lock screen. It makes navigating the Start screen and apps a royal pain.

1: Press Win+E to open up a new explorer window, if that's what you mean.

Glad I'm not the only one. I actually couldn't find it and just gave up, shutting down the whole virtual machine. The start thing is just weird. Move the mouse to extreme bottom left, wait for the start pop-up to appear, then move the mouse again to click on it making sure it doesn't disappear. WTF?

teh_pwn

Glad I'm not the only one. I actually couldn't find it and just gave up, shutting down the whole virtual machine. The start thing is just weird. Move the mouse to extreme bottom left, wait for the start pop-up to appear, then move the mouse again to click on it making sure it doesn't disappear. WTF?

I just kind of twitch to the bottom left and click and it goes to start.

kehs

Banned
Someone posted a pdf earlier with the mouse/touch screen equivalents, but I can't find it, does anyone have it handy?

I don't know what you're talking about, but none of that works on my laptop. Pinch/zoom works for semantic view, but I can't click/drag like I can in the lock screen. It makes navigating the Start screen and apps a royal pain.

I just realized what you meant. The click and drag I was talking for moving icons around, not panning. For panning I'm using scroll section of the touchpad. Also if you pin your cursor to the right side of the screen, and then keep moving in that direction it'll pan the screen.

MCD

Honestly, if they find a better solution for the Start/Hot Corners then I can see myself enjoying this much more.

MrBig

You don't have to do any of the steps you listed. All you have to do is click in that corner as if the start button is still there.

Windu

You don't have to do any of the steps you listed. All you have to do is click in that corner as if the start button is still there.
yeah the preview pane doesn't even need to be up. you click as fast as you want and it switches.

Windu

Start screen/Metro

The following Windows key shortcuts work in the new Windows shell/Start screen.

WINKEY (tap)- Toggles between the Start screen and the foremost running app (Metro-style) or the Windows Desktop.

WINKEY + 1, WINKEY + 2, etc. - Switch to the (classic) Windows desktop and launch the nth shortcut in the Windows taskbar. So WINKEY + 1 would launch whichever application is first in the list, from left to right.

WINKEY + B - Switch to the (classic) Windows desktop and select the tray notification area.

WINKEY + C - Display Charms and time/date/notification overlay.

WINKEY + D - Switch to the (classic) Windows desktop and toggle Show Desktop (hides/shows any applications and other windows).

WINKEY + E. Switch to the (classic) Windows desktop and launch Windows Explorer with Computer view displayed.

WINKEY + F - Display File Search pane

WINKEY + H - Display Share charm.

WINKEY + I - Display Settings charm.

WINKEY + J - Swaps foreground between the snapped and filled apps.

WINKEY + K - Display Connect charm.

WINKEY + L - Lock PC and return to Lock screen.

WINKEY + M - Minimize the selected Explorer window.

WINKEY + O - Toggle orientation switching on slate and tablet PCs.

WINKEY + P - Display the new Project (for "projection") pane for choosing between available displays.

WINKEY + Q - Search (within) Apps using the new Search pane.

WINKEY + R - Switch to the (classic) Windows desktop and display the Run box.

WINKEY + U - Switch to the (classic) Windows desktop and launch the Ease of Access Center.

WINKEY + V - Cycles through Notification toasts.

WINKEY + W - Display Settings Search pane

WINKEY + SHIFT + V - Cycles through Notification toasts in reverse order.

WINKEY + X - Switch to the (classic) Windows desktop and display the Windows Mobility Center application.

WINKEY + Z - Display the App Bar.

WINKEY + ENTER - Launches Narrator.

WINKEY + SPACEBAR - Switch input language and keyboard layout

WINKEY + TAB - Cycle through apps in Switcher.

WINKEY + SHIFT + TAB - Cycle through apps in Switcher in reverse order.

WINKEY + CTRL + TAB - Cycle through apps, snapping them as you go.

WINKEY + , - Peeks at the Windows desktop.

WINKEY + . - Snaps application to the left.

WINKEY + SHIFT + . - Snaps application to the right.

WINKEY + PGUP - Moves the Start screen to the display on the left.

WINKEY + PGDN - Moves the Start screen to the display on the right.

Windows desktop/Explorer

The following Windows key shortcuts work in the classic Windows desktop. Note that while many of these shortcuts also work in Windows 7, some are new to Windows 8.

WINKEY (tap)- Toggles between the Windows desktop environment and the new Start screen.

WINKEY + 1, WINKEY + 2, etc. - Launch the nth shortcut in the Windows taskbar. So WINKEY + 1 would launch whichever application is first in the list, from left to right.

WINKEY + B - Select the tray notification area.

WINKEY + C - Display Charms and time/date/notification overlay.

WINKEY + D - Toggle Show Desktop (hides/shows any applications and other windows).

WINKEY + E. Launch Windows Explorer with Computer view displayed.

WINKEY + F - Search Files using the new Windows Search pane.

WINKEY + I - Display Settings pane for Windows Desktop (also provides access to Networks, Volume, Screen Brightness, Notifications, Power, and Language).

WINKEY + L - Lock PC and return to Lock screen.

WINKEY + M - Minimize the selected Explorer window.

WINKEY + O - Toggle orientation switching on slate and tablet PCs.

WINKEY + P - Display the new Project (for "projection") pane for choosing between available displays.

WINKEY + Q - Search (within) Apps using the new Windows Search pane.

WINKEY + R - Display Run box.

WINKEY + U - Launch Ease of Access Center.

WINKEY + W - Search Settings using the new Windows Search pane.

WINKEY + X - Display Windows Mobility Center application.

WINKEY + ARROW KEYS - Aero Snap.
http://www.winsupersite.com/article...preview-windows-key-keyboard-shortcuts-142358

kehs

Banned

That virtual machine must be running slow as shit, cause the corners trigger their actions in less than half a second for me.

BTW - If nobody has noticed, the settings button in the charms panel will bring up settings for whatever app your currently in. For example, that's where you can go add more email address if you closed the initial setup part in the main window.

Cynar

I can't seem to figure out how to pin someone as a tile. Pretty sure I saw this mentioned in a video earlier but no explanation on how to do it.

Owen

Oh yikes, that really scares me. If all that carried over from Windows Phone 7 was the aesthetic (and not the whole experience), I'm officially worried about Windows 8.

(I haven't tried it myself; I don't want to bother with the desktop consumer preview when it's clearly designed for touch.)

kehs

Banned
I can't seem to figure out how to pin someone as a tile. Pretty sure I saw this mentioned in a video earlier but no explanation on how to do it.

Go view the person's contact in the people hub, bring up the options and you'll see a "pin" button.

Troll

Banned

Go to their main profile on the People Hub, Right-click somewhere that is not a link and there will be a banner that appears on the bottom of the screen. The option to pin will be there. "Pin to Start" will show on the bottom right.

Vanillalite

I don't hate it as much as he does, but I agree that it's nothing really like my phone. My phone seems initially intuitive. This just lacks that finesse. Maybe because it's just trying to juggle a shit ton more stuff than a phone on different platforms with different inputs. It's like a totally different "Metro" experience from our phones though.

Repeating what I asked earlier:

Okay, so I have it, but I need to install it. I don't have the space on my C drive, and want to install it on my external TB hard drive, but it said I can't do that? Is there any way around this?

Cynar

Go view the person's contact in the people hub, bring up the options and you'll see a "pin" button.

Go to their main profile on the People Hub, Right-click somewhere that is not a link and there will be a banner that appears on the bottom of the screen. The option to pin will be there. "Pin to Start" will show on the bottom right.

Thanks, you guys are my saviours. It's going to take a while to get used to this whole thing but it seems to be pretty intuitive once you realize how to access settings in everything. I like it a lot. Now all I want is the xbox live companion app to work in Canada and I should be set. :D

kehs

Banned
Thanks, you guys are my saviours. It's going to take a while to get used to this whole thing but it seems to be pretty intuitive once you realize how to access settings in everything. I like it a lot. Now all I want is the xbox live companion app to work in Canada and I should be set. :D

Definitely, I finally got a change to sit down and mess around with. It's really really nice in terms of accessing stuff once you grab couple of gestures.

Troll

Banned
Definitely, I finally got a change to sit down and mess around with. It's really really nice in terms of accessing stuff once you grab couple of gestures.

I can't help but feel that I would enjoy it more on a Tablet/Touchscreen device. Not that I am not enjoying it, I just imagine it being more satisfying on that form factor.

Vanillalite

So I hate the built in messaging app only because it makes you open up the people app to start a new thread. Why not just let me type a contact to start a thread with and pull that info from the people app without having to open a 2nd app?

This gets to a more general point I have that everything seems to take an extra step just to get certain things done. Like powering down requires you to go to the charms menu, then settings then power. Before it was click on the start menu, and boom there were your shutdown options.

I can't help but feel that I would enjoy it more on a Tablet/Touchscreen device. Not that I am not enjoying it, I just imagine it being more satisfying on that form factor.

I feel this exactly.

Sure if you learn all of the keyboard shortcuts it makes things easier with a M+KB, but your average computer user won't learn all of that.

PS: Still of the mind I won't know if I truly love or hate this until I get apps made. Considering right now as I type this I'm using Spotify, FireFox, GTalk, and Steam it basically makes the metro interface a moot point for me.

Windows 8 is where I get off the Windows train.

Every new version of Windows over the years has been a marked and welcome improvement over the previous one. (Aside from Windows Me, which ran waaaay too bloated for what it offered.) This one... nope.

yogloo

I got the blue screen of death in vmware. Anyone have any idea how to install this on vmware? It says initialization failed.

Btw, regarding the fuss about the shut down button. My hunch is that they are aiming for an always on computer just like the ipad. So the correct usage might be one where you never really shut the thing off. Just my take on it.

jagowar

So I hate the built in messaging app only because it makes you open up the people app to start a new thread. Why not just let me type a contact to start a thread with and pull that info from the people app without having to open a 2nd app?

This gets to a more general point I have that everything seems to take an extra step just to get certain things done. Like powering down requires you to go to the charms menu, then settings then power. Before it was click on the start menu, and boom there were your shutdown options.

I expect these apps to be improved before the final version.... I think the core os is "feature complete" but the apps will get significantly overhauled as time goes on. Hell when I first loaded it there were updates for 4 apps on day 1.

Maybe I am different but I never shut down my computer unless its restarting for an update. I just set my sleep timer take care of putting my computer to sleep and then wake it up when I want to start using it again. I think that is how they are designing it (esp with the "always on" tablets)

I don't hate it as much as he does, but I agree that it's nothing really like my phone. My phone seems initially intuitive. This just lacks that finesse. Maybe because it's just trying to juggle a shit ton more stuff than a phone on different platforms with different inputs. It's like a totally different "Metro" experience from our phones though.

To me wp7 especially recently has become very limiting.... w8 is way way beyond my focus in the "stuff" it can do (and as importantly how much better it can do things like multitasking and notifications). I really hope they allow w8 on devices similar to the galaxy note because I would ditch wp7 in an instant for w8 and use Skype for my phone. Even things like the roaming profile and how it syncs all my settings between my work pc and home pc.... would love to have that also sync as completely to my phone.

Still alot of rough edges (my damn MBP touchpad isn't working!), but overall seems like they can get the desktop workflow to be pretty decent. I imagine once pivotable MT monitors are being shipped the complaints will go away for the most part. I kind of like having a monitor with Metro playing music and personal mail while I code and read exchange on my external (its pretty much how i work already).

I think its very exciting and bold. Metro feels so airy and light, its really very refreshing. Now that they have more dev articles out and I'm reading up on the dev concepts, it seems like its going to be VERY easy to make apps for this.

Going to be a very interesting 2 years here, if I was MS I'd be pushing the Xbox division to get out something next gen spring 2013 to maintain brisk momentum. I hope that they will push Hyper-v and sell vendors on thin client tech to basically enable any display in the home to instantly switch to a MT/Kinect terminal. Given the overkill of Core i7 etc for your average consumer its a very workable scenario.

Vanillalite

I expect these apps to be improved before the final version.... I think the core os is "feature complete" but the apps will get significantly overhauled as time goes on. Hell when I first loaded it there were updates for 4 apps on day 1.

Maybe I am different but I never shut down my computer unless its restarting for an update. I just set my sleep timer take care of putting my computer to sleep and then wake it up when I want to start using it again. I think that is how they are designing it (esp with the "always on" tablets)

I don't disagree. Just on my end with what I use on a day to day basis this isn't a whole helluva lot different for me from the dev preview I've been running since day 1 that came out to the public. The OS core seemed rather feature complete before quiet honestly.

I just need more apps in the app store to actually use the metro interface.

teh_pwn

I got the blue screen of death in vmware. Anyone have any idea how to install this on vmware? It says initialization failed.

Btw, regarding the fuss about the shut down button. My hunch is that they are aiming for an always on computer just like the ipad. So the correct usage might be one where you never really shut the thing off. Just my take on it.

Yeah. But it's a general purpose OS. Maybe the Pro/Enterprise edition should have stuff more accessible.

Windu

you can power off through the lockscreen as well btw. (just like in every other version of windows)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom