• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.

jagowar

I don't disagree. Just on my end with what I use on a day to day basis this isn't a whole helluva lot different for me from the dev preview I've been running since day 1 that came out to the public. The OS core seemed rather feature complete before quiet honestly.

I just need more apps in the app store to actually use the metro interface.

Agreed... I said from the first day we saw that youtube of the metro interface and then when they dropped back to the classic interface for office that the failing of windows 8 would be how many times you had to "go back" to the classic interface. It will be interesting to see how many apps are there when it launches..... just a wild guess from me but I am expecting something around 100,000 apps day 1 and unlike wp7 it has all the ones people are expecting.

The apps in general also need a lot of tweaking.... especially music and video they really need to add transport controls to the live tile since I assume there will not be any universal controls on the core os level.... I think controls on the live tile would work very well.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
too bad we didn't have the internet back when the transition from dos to windows was happening, i bet people had a lot of the same complaints about going back and forth. (and there are also the mouse transition/touchscreen transition parallels as well.)

clav

too bad we didn't have the internet back when the transition from dos to windows was happening, i bet people had a lot of the same complaints about going back and forth. (and there are also the mouse transition/touchscreen transition parallels as well.)

I remember going to DOS from Windows 95/98 was jarring.

Hated that you couldn't play games from command prompt.

Then DOSbox came along.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I don't even really mind it. I mean like I said I had the dev preview installed since day 1. I just load up Win 8 and click over to the desktop sandbox. Plus I still get the added benefit of the new updated and lightweight kernel.

clav

The experience feels snappier, so even if people were allowed to disable the Metro launcher in the final, I think overall, everyone will be pleased.

Lighter kernel. Built-in refresh/reinstall. Faster boot.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
On a side note I love how installing Zune which needs .Net installed goes. As soon as you try and install Zune it comes up and say hey this program you want to install needs this other stuff in a cool easy to read box. Then it's like we can do that for you now if you'd like.

PS: I still say my favorite thing is I really like how the desktop sandbox looks with all of the really square looking corners and such coupled with the new interface boxes we get for things like copy and paste along with the type font.

Agreed... I said from the first day we saw that youtube of the metro interface and then when they dropped back to the classic interface for office that the failing of windows 8 would be how many times you had to "go back" to the classic interface. It will be interesting to see how many apps are there when it launches..... just a wild guess from me but I am expecting something around 100,000 apps day 1 and unlike wp7 it has all the ones people are expecting.

The apps in general also need a lot of tweaking.... especially music and video they really need to add transport controls to the live tile since I assume there will not be any universal controls on the core os level.... I think controls on the live tile would work very well.

If you use your hardware volume keys, you get global transport controls (pause, play, etc), even if you're not in the app.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Alright so I just made a new partition on my laptop to preserve my W7 install, went through the setup via the ISO I had on my USB, and apparently it's installing now.. 15% complete..

problem being, it never asked me where I wanted to install it, because I wanted to be able to dual boot it with W8 on my new partition. Did I just inadvertently overwrite my W7 install or what? HALP

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Alright so I just made a new partition on my laptop to preserve my W7 install, went through the setup via the ISO I had on my USB, and apparently it's installing now.. 15% complete..

problem being, it never asked me where I wanted to install it, because I wanted to be able to dual boot it with W8 on my new partition. Did I just inadvertently overwrite my W7 install or what? HALP

lol

Not sure what the default behavior is. I always, always use advanced setup, select the partition to format and write.

Troll

Banned
Is anyone else having an issue as to where the titles of your groups disappear? My Music / Video collection seems to come and go. This can be alleviated by zooming but it is kind of annoying... .

On a side note I love how installing Zune which needs .Net installed goes. As soon as you try and install Zune it comes up and say hey this program you want to install needs this other stuff in a cool easy to read box. Then it's like we can do that for you now if you'd like.

PS: I still say my favorite thing is I really like how the desktop sandbox looks with all of the really square looking corners and such coupled with the new interface boxes we get for things like copy and paste along with the type font.

Just had that happen to me. Pretty slick.

My GOD I am having such problems trying to get this damned thing installed.

I have an external HDD that I wanted to use to install W8, but it keeps on telling me that it won't work during installation. So I try to get rid of excess files on my primary HDD (which is only 80GB), so that I had enough room to make a second partition. I have 27GB free now, which should be enough, but I can't seem to make a partition larger than 1.57GB!!

I don't know what to do anymore!

Been using it most of the afternoon today. Very impressed in the build quality and completeness over the Dev Preview, and the improvements for KB + mouse are very welcome (especially multitasking).

As we have discussed in the Build thread at great length the switch between Metro and Desktop is still jarring as can be, but it does all run very smoothly once I get used to the massive UI clash.

I hope the mail, messaging, calendar, and people apps get updated over the course of the CP because they are obviously in a very early development stage right now (I thought you would be able to SMS with the messaging app, probably just hasn't been implemented).

I installed this on my workstation at the office.. so far everything is working with very few hitches..

I did the fresh install there.. but I did the upgrade at home and it went very smoothly.

Had it keep all of my programs and settings.. only had to reinstall my ATI driver for my 7970.. aside from that, it's been working great.

Very impressed with IE 10.. going to use it as my main browser for a bit..

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
My GOD I am having such problems trying to get this damned thing installed.

I have an external HDD that I wanted to use to install W8, but it keeps on telling me that it won't work during installation. So I try to get rid of excess files on my primary HDD (which is only 80GB), so that I had enough room to make a second partition. I have 27GB free now, which should be enough, but I can't seem to make a partition larger than 1.57GB!!

I don't know what to do anymore!

The reason you couldn`t make a bigger partition is because files are written scattered over different parts of the drive and the partition needs to be in a continuous blank space. You can try defragmenting although by default Windows 7 should be doing that already so might not help. You can also try making a virtual drive. Someone posted instructions on how to do that earlier in the thread.

What error are you getting with trying to install on your external drive?

The more I use the OS the more I like. Navigating the UI is getting much faster and even faster than using Win7 in some cases. It helps to finally wrap my head around the concept of not closing apps. What's cool about that is instead of alt-tabbing through a bunch of open apps or having to use the multitask thumbnails on the side you can simply press the win key to bring up the start screen and just hit the icon for the app, if it was running it'll just pop back up in the state you left it.

big_z

Very impressed with IE 10.. going to use it as my main browser for a bit..

how is the text in IE10? does it look more like chrome and ie8 or are they still forcing that subpixel blurry shit like in IE9?

VertPin

I still hate Windows 8 in general. The consumer preview is still a disappointment. But for fun, I did somehow manage to blue screen after running my main OS (7), my XP mode, and 8 crashed randomly. I then got blue screen. lmaooooo

The reason you couldn`t make a bigger partition is because files are written scattered over different parts of the drive and the partition needs to be in a continuous blank space. You can try defragmenting although by default Windows 7 should be doing that already so might not help. You can also try making a virtual drive. Someone posted instructions on how to do that earlier in the thread.

What error are you getting with trying to install on your external drive?

The more I use the OS the more I like. Navigating the UI is getting much faster and even faster than using Win7 in some cases. It helps to finally wrap my head around the concept of not closing apps. What's cool about that is instead of alt-tabbing through a bunch of open apps or having to use the multitask thumbnails on the side you can simply press the win key to bring up the start screen and just hit the icon for the app, if it was running it'll just pop back up in the state you left it.
It simply says that Windows 8 can't install on a drive through USB or IEEE 1394. I might try again and take a picture just to be sure.

peakish

I still hate Windows 8 in general. The consumer preview is still a disappointment. But for fun, I did somehow manage to blue screen after running my main OS (7), my XP mode, and 8 crashed randomly. I then got blue screen. lmaooooo
What is there to actually hate about it? Everyone can just stick to the desktop for an almost 100% Windows 7 experience with some performance improvements, no?

Open question to all, not singling you out especially.

Mr_Zombie

So this is a build-in system feature? Neat. :]
I stumble upon this box when I was installing Paint.net but thought this comes from the program installer and not from the system.

One thing they should add to the system (for example as an app or as a part of system installer) is tutorial to learn all new things. Finding out some of the stuff (bringing up charms, bringing up left pane with open applications etc.) isn't very intuitive.

talkinghead

Neo Member
Help...
Somehow W8 didn't install to a new Partition like i selected in the Installer, so now my main Windows 7 install is gone. Or rather, moved to "Windows.old" together with all my programs and settings…

Is there any way to revert the system?

how is the text in IE10? does it look more like chrome and ie8 or are they still forcing that subpixel blurry shit like in IE9?

It looks about the same as chrome to me...

Here's a comparison of the two browsers at roughly the same size..

aNL3g.png

Everdred

Had the same problem... I said good bye to my whole build. Luckily I could grab a few saves from windows.old but other than that I had to start over.

Even worse is my wireless adapter drivers didn't work so I couldn't get online and just reinstalled windows 7.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
So my wireless refuses to work.

Driver won't install because apparently the device isn't present. You would think that hardware from 2009 would simply work.

MrHicks

Banned
Faster
More stable
Uses less resources
More secure
Faster boot
UEFI support
Native USB 3.0 support
Trusted module support
Better power management
Better management of metered connections
Better management of file transfers
Improved task manager
Native PDF reader
Native support for mounting/writing ISOs VHDs
Better virtualization support
Better language support
Better accessibility options
Better support for sensors (gyro, magnetic, accelerometer)
Skydrive integration (browse hard drive via web, app support)
Cloud profile
App Syncing
New security options (Picture password, pin, 2-step auth)
New recovery options (reset apps, reformat)
Windows Store (Metro)
Better support for Pen and Touch interfaces
Better harddisk management (ReFS, Storage Spaces)

Basically it's better in every single way.

i don't care for metro so this seems pretty nice
not exactly "OMG must upgrade now" stuff butt atleast its something

although your tag makes me wonder your post is just PR BS :)

tci

You might have lost the Win 7 install, but your files are safe. In the case of installing over an existing Windows installation, it will move the old files to Windows.old.

Whogie

UI still feels a little confusing, but at least Desktop Mode is a lot more functional now. It's a little annoying without the Start Orb, but I can get used to it (hint: right click bottom left corner/Windows Key + X.)

pYbh9.png

Mobility Modded driver or bust. Used to work just fine in the Dev preview, but I guess they locked it down further. :/ I'm replacing this laptop when Ivy Bridge comes out anyways.

When I first heard there were going to be hotspot corners, I was not pleased by that news at all. I'm finding they're alright, though. Unlike Mac where the whole screen can shift just for touching a corner, it seems to just affect a small insignificant spot. I can't quite figure out how the lower-left corner hotspot works, but it may have something to do with my generic video drivers being finicky.

Edit: I thought Brotkasten was trolling or being hyperbolic, but this thing is so far removed from Windows Phone 7. That just works, is intuitive and all that. This thing is just all over the place.

What the fuck man. :(

When did I become something like Copernicus?

Lynn616

I hate how the switcher thumbnail disappears when I move out of the corner. Can it please stay there so I can click the thumbnail and not just the tiny corner. Same goes for the Start thumbnail in the bottom left corner. I should be able to trigger the thumbnail then move the cursor over to the thumbnail and click it. That is the only complaint I have.

The push scroll on the Start screen works great.

Nero3000

Use the vhd tutorial on page 2.

Rather than partition your had, you'll create a virtual hard disk that you will install to and boot from. At the end of it all you have to do is delete the file (and change the boot manager).

okenny

Banned
So I was watching the presentation video tonight and the nice man who came out carrying the Tegra3 based tablet who was then cut-off by Steven did something:

He went into the desktop on an ARM based tablet. Is it safe to say that that if they are showing this this late in the game, that they will keep the desktop on ARM processor based PCs?

I supposed it could be the desktop apps run full screen only or something weird like that but there seemed to be a lot of controversy that the ARM-based PCs would not support the desktop but this seems to dismiss all that.

Kyuur

I hate how the switcher thumbnail disappears when I move out of the corner. Can it please stay there so I can click the thumbnail and not just the tiny corner. Same goes for the Start thumbnail in the bottom left corner. I should be able to trigger the thumbnail then move the cursor over to the thumbnail and click it. That is the only complaint I have.

The push scroll on the Start screen works great.

If you put your cursor into the corner, then drag up/down it brings up a whole black bar and you can click on thumbnails to your hearts content.

So I was watching the presentation video tonight and the nice man who came out carrying the Tegra3 based tablet who was then cut-off by Steven did something:

He went into the desktop on an ARM based tablet. Is it safe to say that that if they are showing this this late in the game, that they will keep the desktop on ARM processor based PCs?

I supposed it could be the desktop apps run full screen only or something weird like that but there seemed to be a lot of controversy that the ARM-based PCs would not support the desktop but this seems to dismiss all that.

They've already confirmed you can use the desktop on ARM.

Video about Windows on ARM

Mr_Zombie

Am I the only one who would prefer a button to toggle charms and preview tabs on/off instead of going to the left/right corner and sweeping up/down? There's too much unnecessary gestures required for some of this stuff.

peakish

Am I the only one who would prefer a button to toggle charms and preview tabs on/off instead of going to the left/right corner and sweeping up/down? There's too much unnecessary gestures required for some of this stuff.
No, I agree, it's unintuitive and (right now) doesn't work all the time for me. As is having to right click for more options in some apps, I think there needs to be indicators for most of this stuff.

I also think that the options should be more consistent across apps, feedback buttons are strewn all over the place in different apps and it's confusing. I'm never sure of what to expect in them right now. I'm expecting all this to improve as the apps mature of course.

maeh2k

I, for one, am actually glad they introduced those edge metaphors. They are one of the things I like best in Mac OS X where I can just move to the edge to see the empty desktop / see all virtual desktops / view open windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom