• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT2| Bellariology, Puellology and Simulacrumology

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your average anime fan is the kind of person who gives Asterisk War a 4/5 or a 5/5 for something like "hot girls tons of fast sword action" and watched something like Shirobako and says "bored after 1 episode they sat around taking about stuff the whole time 1/5". Generally people who are willing to post in this thread about anime aren't the average fan.

Ascheroth

Oh yeah I totally forgot Tokyo Ghoul. See that one, just like Psycho Pass, had a great first season in my opinion. It was when they began changing things in the second one that it all went down the drain. Hopefully they remain faithful to the original works in RE, from what I read, that one would hype as heck.

As for your second point, I loved Shirobako but I realize that the Western appeal is simply not there. We westerners want action, not cute, day-to-day stuff. Although I guess those interested in the industry probably did or will give it a watch, just to see what things are like in the anime industry. But again, why would the average anime viewer care about that.

The Tokyo Ghoul anime is an abomination.
They scrapped everything that made the manga great and turned it into a generic dark superpower action shonen.

They scrapped everything that made the manga great and turned it into a generic dark superpower action shonen.

I totally agree, 100%. I read the manga AFTER watching the anime, and I was mind blown by how different the two were after a certain point, and how much better it was in the manga. The anime's ending was the worst too lol.

Cornbread78

My Little Monster Ep 1
Saw some people mention this series so I gave it a shot. Wow so much development for a first episode. I wonder how they are going to continue this without it being stale. The two leads are cute together.

It's a pretty fun series, bit frustrating as hell at times..

Sölf

Well i never made it past episode one, theres just better anime outthere to spend my time and energy on.

KJIYU28.gif

HHDjcNd.gif

rrvv

in all fairness. "Stuck in deadly online game" anime sound more interesting than "how to make anime" anime. So not surprising really

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Shirobako is the best. I want more of it.

BTW, i saw that supersonico April fool thing...Yikes, i can see why this one creep people out.

duckroll

That.....would be a very unfortunate understanding of the Western anime community for someone in his position to take away. Someone know Japanese and wanna tweet to him we ain't all like that? LOL

We're talking about someone who originally worked as a production assistant at IG back when they were at the top of their game with GitS, before forming his own studio. I'm sure he knows that not every fan is like that, but the tweet is less of one where he is saying "look what I learned today" and more one where he laments that this is still a prevailing business attitude.

Just T

Assassination Classroom 2nd Season: Episode 13

Ah, so that's why the Principal turned out to be so horrible, tragic situation.

Andrew J.

Gundam AGE - Episode 1-49 (End)

Watched all 49 episodes in a single sitting without eating, drinking, or pooping. I felt a divine calling and just did it, and I'm glad I did. I was clearly too immature and ignorant when this was first released to understand the depth of Hino's genius. I laughed, I cried, and I was deeply moved by the uplifting, satisfying, and ultimately tragic story of three generations of Gundam pilots in this diverse and fascinating setting. The character designs were great and showed true artistic flair, and it has some of the smartest Mobile Suit designs in any Gundam series so far. I take back all the bad things I have ever said about Level5, and to make up for it, I have pre-ordered 50 copies of Yokai Watch 3.

I thought you didn't like April Fool's Day.

Taruranto

Your average anime fan is the kind of person who gives Asterisk War a 4/5 or a 5/5 for something like "hot girls tons of fast sword action" and watched something like Shirobako and says "bored after 1 episode they sat around taking about stuff the whole time 1/5". Generally people who are willing to post in this thread about anime aren't the average fan.

Shirobako is kinda boring tho'

phaze

Implying the manga isn't.
picturen6p3j.png

Code Geass 1-5

Sooooo, does this have some point after which it's generally agreed it gets better ? So far, not a fan in the slightest unfortunately, CC fucking around with Lelouch in the last episode is about the only thing I wasn't completely cold to.

Szadek

While I was bored and listened to the Utena soundtrack I came to the realisation that the anime world needs more shows where people transform into cows for no reason.

Code Geass 1-5

Sooooo, does this have some point after which it's generally agreed it gets better ? So far, not a fan in the slightest unfortunately, CC fucking around with Lelouch in the last episode is about the only thing I wasn't complete cold to.

I honestly fell in love with the show at episode 4. :l

Lelouch being a tactical genius in a Golbez costume messing with people's heads with his powers is super fun in its own right. The stuff he pulls later on goes into the batshit insane territory and it is a freaking spectacle to watch.

Soon you'll start to see things expand, and once things hit a certain point (in season 1, not R2), that's where the fun really starts.

Implying the manga isn't.
picturen6p3j.png

Code Geass 1-5

Sooooo, does this have some point after which it's generally agreed it gets better ? So far, not a fan in the slightest unfortunately, CC fucking around with Lelouch in the last episode is about the only thing I wasn't completely cold to.

Nah, I think the people that like it, like it pretty much from the get go. Maybe it gets sort of dumber and bigger in scale to the degree where you end up liking it.

Cornbread78

Elfen Lied ep.5
Did they really have to fu(kin' animate that shit with the little girl? Really? There is being edgy and there is straight fu(king senseless bull$hit. Like WTF. The guys head exploding at the end of the episode was fine but the first part of the episode was not needed at all and should have been done differently to show a backstory. I don't remember much else from the rest of the episode because I was still pissed at the beginning of it.

Oh yeah I totally forgot Tokyo Ghoul. See that one, just like Psycho Pass, had a great first season in my opinion. It was when they began changing things in the second one that it all went down the drain. Hopefully they remain faithful to the original works in RE, from what I read, that one would hype as heck.

As for your second point, I loved Shirobako but I realize that the Western appeal is simply not there. We westerners want action, not cute, day-to-day stuff. Although I guess those interested in the industry probably did or will give it a watch, just to see what things are like in the anime industry. But again, why would the average anime viewer care about that.

I don't even know how they're going to do a faithful adaption of RE with how the anime left off. We don't even know if [ENDING OF BOTH TOKYO GHOUL MANGA AN SEASON 2 SPOILERS]
Hide is actually dead or not

Code Geass 1-5

i love this show, it actually used to be ranked somewhere in my top 5 animes but over the years better ones have replaced it, I still really like it tho.

phaze

I honestly fell in love with the show at episode 4. :l

Lelouch being a tactical genius in a Golbez costume messing with people's heads with his powers is super fun in its own right. The stuff he pulls later on goes into the batshit insane territory and it is a freaking spectacle to watch.

Soon you'll start to see things expand, and once things hit a certain point (in season 1, not R2), that's where the fun really starts.

We'll at least always have GL, GBF and Shin Mazinger Z as the shows on whose quality we can at least agree to a degree. :p

Elfen Lied ep.5 There is being edgy and there is straight fu(king senseless bull$hit.

This show literally crossed into that territory in its very first minute, I dunno why you're surprised.
Nah, I think the people that like it, like it pretty much from the get go. Maybe it gets sort of dumber and bigger in scale to the degree where you end up liking it.
I'm pinning my hopes on that for a few episodes more ...
I don't even know how they're going to do a faithful adaption of RE with how the anime left off. We don't even know if [ENDING OF BOTH TOKYO GHOUL MANGA AN SEASON 2 SPOILERS]
Hide is actually dead or not
They're not going to do it because there's no incentive for them to go for it. + It's really impossible, well unless they retcon that root a ending. (Or better that entire cour)

Code Geass 1-5

It does get better, but it turns into a trainwreck (and not the good kind) by the time R2 rolls around. I'd say just stop watching now while you're ahead.

Just T

FFXV Brotherhood: 1

I was going to wait to watch them all together but decided to check the first out. I don't think it looks that good tbh but the interactions between the characters were straight and the fight had some decent choreography.

duckroll

That new Imaishi short anime people seem to be hyped about - Episode 1

Boring, cheap, kinda lame. Only sorta laughed at the gun joke, the rest was lame. This is what you get when you try to make a parody gag anime out of Mako from KLK, except with a less interesting character, and have the production values of Ninja Slayer.

Cornbread78

This show literally crossed into that territory in its very first minute, I dunno why you're surprised.

Physical violence is once thing (and quite laughable in this show since it is so over-the-top), but sexual violence or the depiction of sexual abuse of a minor is completely different and complete bull$hit. Who thought that was a good idea...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom