• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wipeout HD getting in-game ads!

you know what.....if this is the way they can subsidize getting me a $20 game instead of maybe a $40 one.....then I don't really care at all.

naib

The first WipEout had Red Bull ads in it. I didn't even realize they were ads 'cause they fit in well, and I had no idea what Red Bull was at the time. State Farm ads on the other hand..

Zeliard

anddo0 said:
... And rare at that. You'll probably see it once or twice out of every ten loading screens. I have yet to see it during a track.

It felt like I frequently saw that State Farm ad while playing Fury last night, though that could be because it seems to be the only ad up in the game right now. It's jarring, too. Dollar bills and Wipeout's menu aesthetic seriously do not match.

evolution

There not frequent enough for me to bitch about. *shrugs*

edit: Also why State Farm? I think thats why its kinda jarring to some. It would be cool if they created the ads as if they were from the wipeout universe.

Eric_S

MikeE21286 said:
you know what.....if this is the way they can subsidize getting me a $20 game instead of maybe a $40 one.....then I don't really care at all.

How nice of you and Sony Liverpool to make that judgement for all consumers, aspecially Liverpool who in all their benevolence simply decided not to tell anoybody about the whole advertisement thing before hand. ... This is assuming that the whole $20-$40 thing is true and has nothing at all to do with a ressession and an industry howling for additional revenue streams. Yeah.

Mudkips

Banned
So if I already paid my moneys and have the game, I now get shitty ads inserted?

That's some bullshit.

Can I just take my PS3 offline and never update Wipeout to avoid it?

woodypop

MikeE21286 said:
Yes, but how would you know it wasn't already a $20 game to begin with, and they're just telling you it would have been $40 otherwise?

AndyD

aka andydumi
If it indeed slows down the loading for the ads, then it sucks. And we should not take this lightly.

If it was a free game that is supported by watching a 30 second ad every loading screen, that's something else entirely and would be welcomed by some if not many. Buy game for XX dolars, no ads, or play free by watching ads at loading screens. Good model to me.

Ploid 3.0

That youtube vid with the comparison looked fake to me. The game never loaded that fast unless it was a reload of the same track like after the results screen. During said scenario I never got a ad. I've noticed that the ads were the same load length as the load screens without the ads although I didn't take out a stop watch. I just treated it like any other load screen, but with something to look at.

I love the new battle mode. Being able to flip your craft around and unleash quake while at the front is awesome! Powa

Eric_S said:
How nice of you and Sony Liverpool to make that judgement for all consumers, aspecially Liverpool who in all their benevolence simply decided not to tell anoybody about the whole advertisement thing before hand. ... This is assuming that the whole $20-$40 thing is true and has nothing at all to do with a ressession and an industry howling for additional revenue streams. Yeah.

Obviously I only speak for myself.

noire said:
Ugh.

It's weird. If it had been in at the beginning, I still would have bought the game and had no issue with it. Patching it in after purchase seems shady.

Shady as fuck.

I've been loving this game for a while now. Showed it to my buddy last night and whammo-WTF-is-this-shit-picard action ensued.

Sale -1.

LiK

evolution said:
There not frequent enough for me to bitch about. *shrugs*

edit: Also why State Farm? I think thats why its kinda jarring to some. It would be cool if they created the ads las if they were from the wipeout universe.

state farm covers auto accidents. i guess it fits with the game ;)

Ploid 3.0

I wonder how many people here got the game via game share. Not saying that there's nothing wrong with the game ads but with the savy people of the gaming forum there has to be at least one here that game shared it for free. Maybe not received ti for free, but used it as currency to obtain another game.

bj00rn_

Banned
This is the thanks I get for buying ALL your console Wipeout games since 1995..? Fuck you too Psygnosis/SCE Studio Liverpool/Sony. Seriously.

LiK

Ploid 3.0 said:
I wonder how many people here got the game via game share. Not saying that there's nothing wrong with the game ads but with the savy people of the gaming forum there has to be at least one here that game shared it for free. Maybe not received ti for free, but used it as currency to obtain another game.

the Aus store had Wipeout HD free for a while. i think a lot of people made Aus accounts to get it that way. the offer was featured in many deal sites so i think Sony lost a lot of potential sales with that.

anddo0

Ploid 3.0 said:

Bought the at launch, and the add-on. I would never use game-share under any circumstance. I want a game bad enough I buy it. No one is saying in-game/loading screen ads are fine. But, on the same hand this issue is a little overblown.. Not buying Wipeout HD/Fury, and possibly not buying another game from Sony Liverpool. Really?

Eric_S

Ploid 3.0 said:

According to that arument, the used game market and piracy validates companies putting ads retroactively into games, becasue they're too incompetent to make decent economic assessments including said factors?

woodypop

anddo0 said:
Bought the at launch, and the add-on. I would never use game-share under any circumstance. I want a game bad enough I buy it. No one is saying in-game/loading screen ads are fine. But, on the same hand this issue is a little overblown.. Not buying Wipeout HD/Fury, and possibly not buying another game from Sony Liverpool. Really?
Maybe some people have strong convictions about this matter, or it could be simple hyperbole.

Shurs

woodypop said:
Maybe some people have strong convictions about this matter, or it could be simple hyperbole.

Is anyone else sick of the constant use of the word hyperbole on this forum? Its over use is rivaled only by the word 'generic.'

Ploid 3.0

Eric_S said:
According to that arument, the used game market and piracy validates companies putting ads retroactively into games, becasue they're too incompetent to make decent economic assessments including said factors?

Hey I said I wasn't supporting it. I can see how ads would piss people off. Some people replied with we paid $30 for this game to get ads.

Dr. Light

This sucks, sucks, SUCKS.

The first time I saw the ad, I swear to God I thought I was hallucinating. It just made no sense. I almost convinced myself it was a dream, then I saw it again.

1. Wipeout HD launched without ads.

2. These ads apparently only started to appear in the last week or so, after Fury was already reviewed by most sites. This is a shameless ninja patch by Sony.

3. No one was informed of the existance of ads when buying the game.

4. It seems to be US-only, why don't Europe and even Canada have it? Fuck you SCEA.

5. I paid $30 total for a downloadable game, not something I make a habit of doing, and this is how I'm repaid.

This had better stay out of other games. There must be a backlash over this, or it will continue to snowball.

picard.jpg

The line must be drawn HERE! This far, no farther!

If there are going to be ads, then I prefer them in the loading screen.

That said, it's outrageous and distasteful in any shape or form. Keep that shit outta my games. Especially works of art like Wipeout HD.

We all need to raise hell otherwise shit like this is only going to get worse.

Oh, and if you really want to vomit, I suggest you go play Madden 10. There are snickers before, during, and after loading. It's really, really shameless. Even my non-gamer friends were laughing at it.

Here you go.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KyUtA0AKXI&feature=related

"Statsifying"
"Chompetiton"
"Chews Wisely"

Completely and utterly disgusting. Every fucking time you play the game.

We need to tell game makers that a 60$ game is not a fucking TV show. Keep this fucking shit out of my games.

Dr. Light

Arpharmd B said:
Oh, and if you really want to vomit, I suggest you go play Madden 10. There are snickers before, during, and after loading. It's really, really shameless. Even my non-gamer friends were laughing at it.

Those were jokes right? Certainly can't be in the retail release. "Chews wisely". "Chompetition". I know it's a sports game which tends to have these kind of things, but... I mean.....really. I mean......really now.

woodypop

Shurs said:
Is anyone else sick of the constant use of the word hyperbole on this forum? Its over use is rivaled only by the word 'generic.'
lol, guess I haven't been reading the same posts as you. Had I been, I would have used "exaggeration" instead. ;)

Reminds me of a time years ago when every other review I saw contained the word "replete." Found that sooooo grating.

Back to the topic at hand...

roxya

Haven't seen any ads yet (EU) but fuck, this is not acceptable. They are having their cake and eating it.

Free games can be ad supported. Games I pay good money for, no thanks.

Shambles

And the more we take it the more we're going to be paying people money to watch their ads (EA Sports, NXE, Wipeout etc etc). Sure these games can be fun, but I have a lot of other fun things in my life I can spend money on without dealing with all this bullshit. If consumers push back enough to stop this trend from happening I'm more than happy to keep buying games. If not, i'm more than happy not buying their games either. The devs loss, not mine.

Ploid 3.0

Arpharmd B said:
If there are going to be ads, then I prefer them in the loading screen.

That said, it's outrageous and distasteful in any shape or form. Keep that shit outta my games. Especially works of art like Wipeout HD.

We all need to raise hell otherwise shit like this is only going to get worse.

Don't they have menus designed around snickers or something? Like the oldspice redzone stuff but even more elaborate? I did chuckle a bit about that. Looked very weird and brown.

Ploid 3.0

roxya said:
Haven't seen any ads yet (EU) but fuck, this is not acceptable. They are having their cake and eating it.

Free games can be ad supported. Games I pay good money for, no thanks.

I was surprised that Sprint gave away Ragdoll Kung Fu on psn with no sprint boot screen or anything in the game. You just pretty much went to sprint page on psn and download it, never to know what connection sprint had going on at all. Fighting = sprint.

Ads are bad enough, but at least you can make the choice about whether you'd mind them or not before purchase.

Ninja patching this in is all kinds of wrong and fucking shameless. That's the real problem here.

And at the very least - patching in new functionality like this, after the fact, should be grounds enough for a refund.

Crye

Haven't come across any ads yet thankfully (UK). Seems like there is no avoiding them later down the line though...

Even for something purely digital I felt Wipeout HD was great value and had I known before of the soon to be in-game ads, I would still have purchased it. But shoving ads into the ad-free game everyone has already bought is fucking disgusting. If I do notice any difference in track load times... well what can we do now... rage in caps?

Shurs said:

Between NeoGAF and the 1up podcasts the word "hyperbole" is grossly overused! Believe me, you're not the first to notice.

LiK

Crye said:
Haven't come across any ads yet thankfully (UK). Seems like there is no avoiding them later down the line though...

Even for something purely digital I felt Wipeout HD was great value and had I known before of the soon to be in-game ads, I would still have purchased it. But shoving ads into the ad-free game everyone has already bought is fucking disgusting. If I do notice any difference in track load times... well what can we do now... rage in caps?

hey, it worked for TMNT: turtles in time's pricing :p

Psy-Phi

This reminds me of XBL and it's non-gaming adverts...people paid for that already. Some say it's no big deal, others are in an uproar. Personally I don't want ads in anything that I pay for. If they want to add the ads, put them in the new subcribers or new purchasers and offer them a higher price point for ad free. Makes it an incentive to become a member or buy it sooner than later too.

Basically be open about it, and charge more for the non-ad version.

Though in a racing game, ads don't feel so bad. Race tracks around the world have ads all over them. We see them in the various GT games we play. I don't mind them in a racing title even if it's "the future", so long as it doesnt' break the continuity of the unvierse laid before us. E.G. F-Zero would seem jacked up with ads from "earth bound" advertisers. But for some reason it works in Wipeout. It worked in SSX too.

Just keep ads out of my FPS games unless the world feels like "this" one, and not some foreign one. Gears of War...no ads. Halo..while on earth...perfectly acceptable.

Ploid 3.0

For euro people, did you guys get a patch yet? If not just don't download it if you only play offline. I play only offline and I don't really pay attention to my flist laps and records. Maybe that will prevent ads. It sucks that you won't be able to play online without updating though.

Double Fusion said it plans to launch in-game advertising in "another handful" of PS3 games by the end of the year. The San Francisco-based company services more than 30 game publishers via its ad network.

That's from the article.

Unless there is a backlash, it's only going to get worse. Dairy Queen ads in Fat Princess, Better Home and Garden ads during Flower ...

Eric_S

Crye said:
If I do notice any difference in track load times... well what can we do now... rage in caps?

If it hits the EU, I'm pretty sure you can push legal actions on the grounds of false advertisement or some such. There may well be a clause in the EULA that talks about this, but if it's considered "anti consumer" by it's form or it being burried in a gazillion lines of text that no sane man would read, there is most likely a case to be had.

Ploid 3.0

Psy-Phi said:
This reminds me of XBL and it's non-gaming adverts...people paid for that already. Some say it's no big deal, others are in an uproar. Personally I don't want ads in anything that I pay for. If they want to add the ads, put them in the new subcribers or new purchasers and offer them a higher price point for ad free. Makes it an incentive to become a member or buy it sooner than later too.

Basically be open about it, and charge more for the non-ad version.

Though in a racing game, ads don't feel so bad. Race tracks around the world have ads all over them. We see them in the various GT games we play. I don't mind them in a racing title even if it's "the future", so long as it doesnt' break the continuity of the unvierse laid before us. E.G. F-Zero would seem jacked up with ads from "earth bound" advertisers. But for some reason it works in Wipeout. It worked in SSX too.

Just keep ads out of my FPS games unless the world feels like "this" one, and not some foreign one. Gears of War...no ads. Halo..while on earth...perfectly acceptable.

Now that would be a great idea. I would buy the cheaper one but no one would be able to complain. However it will most likely never happen. Especially if it's a blu ray disk & psn release. Gamestop would complain about the cheaper psn version.

Arpharmd B said:
That's from the article.

Unless there is a backlash, it's only going to get worse. Dairy Queen ads in Fat Princess, Better Home and Garden ads during Flower ...

This would have me laughing.

Sonos

Banned
Shurs said:
This sucks. I didn't mind the billboard ads in Burnout Paradise because they seem like they could be part of the game world. Loading screen ads, on the other hand, are out of place and, judging by that video, delay the start of the game. Bad deal.

I didnt mind Burnout's ads because EA did offer us up a bit of free dlc. I'll suffer through some small Gillette vans for some decent dlc. Plus, if you hate Gillette you can blow them up with your car.

Mr Jared

K2Valor said:
Am I the only one that doesn't care?

I don't. It's an ad on a loading screen. I don't know about you, but I'm not even paying attention to the TV during the loading screen ... it's your chance to check twitter between games :lol

Edit: lawl, caught with the stealth edit. I thought I was playing into the GAF hyperbole meme :lol

Seriously though. I really don't care and I had to pay for both Wipeout HD and Fury, so I probably have the right to be upset.

Mr Jared said:
I sure don't. It's an ad on a loading screen. I don't know about you, but I'm not even paying attention to the TV during the loading screen ... it's your chance to check twitter between games :lol

It would be different it were Fight Night style, with replays screaming "That INCREDIBLE ELIMINATION was brought to you by [loading] BURGER KING and the delicious FLAME BROILED WHOPPER. Burger King, reminding you to have it ... YOUUUUR WAAAAAY."

But it's not. It's random, but it's not intrusive.
Mr Jared
SCEA Home Community Manager

Ploid 3.0

Mr Jared said:
I sure don't. It's an ad on a loading screen. I don't know about you, but I'm not even paying attention to the TV during the loading screen ... it's your chance to check twitter between games :lol

It would be different it were Fight Night style, with replays screaming "That INCREDIBLE ELIMINATION was brought to you by [loading] BURGER KING and the delicious FLAME BROILED WHOPPER. Burger King, reminding you to have it ... YOUUUUR WAAAAAY."

But it's not. It's random, but it's not intrusive.

I was thinking about Half-Life 2's loading screen. Red screen, I'd love to have something to pay attention to during that. It would be a bonus to me. However I just plain like videos that play during loading screens. It helps the time fly by. Too bad namco have the monopoly on the game during loading thing. There's a game that has something interesting during loading that's almost like the namco thing, I forgot which at this time though. Oh killzone 2's holograph loading screen. I loved that.

shuri

Banned
I never did that before, because it looked like too much of a hassle, but I will thank Sony Liverpool this developpement by 'gamingsharing' this game with people, in exchange of nothing at all. gg Sony Liverpool.

It is after all, gaf-mod and sony-approved to do this. I suggest other gaffers do the same.

Top Bottom