• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With the reveal of Armor Core 6 Gameplay: Mech Games Appreciation Thread

ill start off with a game that never came out

Project HON

HAWKEN

M.A.S.S. Builder​

Phantom Brigade​

Figureheads​

BORDER BREAK​

Mech Arena​

Its amazing that most of the Mech game resurgence is indy stuff. I guess we had Mechwarrior 5 (which, come to think of it, I may start facetiously calling games like MW5 and Skyrim Indy games because modders made them good games rather than janktastic brokefests) and now Rubicon, but something terrible happened after the ps2 era and mech games stopped happening.

ZoE 3 would be cool, even though ZoE wasnt a customization series.

Drizzlehell

Banned
The only actual mechs of my childhood was this, lol:

tumblr_pr3gmvKZ3q1qj6sk2o1_500.gif

ThinDistortedGalapagosdove-max-1mb.gif

tumblr_mhgz2cWOl81qedb29o1_500.gif

The unforgettable penis chainsaw
chainsawpenis1.gif

Crash and burn, baby
robotjocks-fist-bump.gif

That one Dreamcast Gundam game I never got a chance to play fully was pretty fun for what little I played at a friend's house.

sodstall

Are they any good?
I'd say so but i played em back in the day as a kid. They are aged i cant deny that but revisiting the 2nd game last week reminded me of how focused these games were on their multiplayer since it existed in the early Xbox live days. Not as sophisticated as say an armored core or Daemon X Machina.

A 3rd installment was also supposed to happen but then got canned. Its a shame really cause that 2nd game had a lot of cool new ideas in it that IF it was a series that survived to this day, i think it would've paired well next to halo and its game/combat design.

CGNoire

Working on a Battletech (Genesis) Remake in Dreams.
Remaking it with twin stick shooter controls. So far have almost completed the MadCat and have a working demo with Radar screen. Ill post picks on gaf when its closer to completion.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
The only actual mechs of my childhood was this, lol:

tumblr_pr3gmvKZ3q1qj6sk2o1_500.gif

ThinDistortedGalapagosdove-max-1mb.gif

tumblr_mhgz2cWOl81qedb29o1_500.gif

The unforgettable penis chainsaw
chainsawpenis1.gif

Crash and burn, baby
robotjocks-fist-bump.gif

Holy shit that brings back some memories LOL.

I used to think this was the coolest thing in the world, I can't believe how ass it actually looks :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

There was another one with a giant Robo Scorpion that fired a laser from its tail. I remember it attacking like pyramid or something. And for some reason they were in Chorpus Christi, Texas of all places lol.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Such an under utilized genre.

We need a mech game with actual high quality production values.

Imagine a game that looked like Horizon Forbidden West but centered around mech combat, large scale battles, and destruction.

Instead FROM is still making PS4 games with cool art design and calling it a day.

Danjin44 Danjin44 what are you laughing at

Last edited:

Represent.

FROM should never ever NEVER EVER follow Guerrilla Games example. Horizon represents everything I hate about modern western games so........FUCK NO!
never-ever.gif
I’m not talking about copying horizon. I’m talking about a game that looks as good graphically

Even the biggest Guerilla hater can admit horizon looks spectacular.

How would you not want to see those graphics on a mech game with large scale battles, destruction and amazing mech customization?

Not made by GG

Represent.

I take FROM visuals style over Horizon’s graphics any day. FROM knows where they put their focus instead of trying to please bunch of graphic whores on internet.
FROMS visual art style would objectively look better when fused with Horizons graphics and tech prowess.

Talented studios can nail both.

A mech game with good production values and good art should not be a fucking unicorn.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
FROMS visual art style would objectively look better when fused Horizons graphics and tech prowess.
I’m personally VERY happy with the visuals FROM putting out, it’s you people like you who are not happy about it and I don’t think the games made for people who love to obsess over high tech BS all day.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries is still the best and the best reason to have a flight stick. Just love how it feels. Not so much into anime mechs since they tend to just feel like 3rd person action games just with mechs instead of people, rather than war machines. Except Gungriffon, the first two were ace.

Though when anime robot games tried to be more simy they were all the better for it too, case in point Gundam Side Story 0079: Rise from the Ashes.

And others are rad as action games, like Bulk Slash or, naturally, Virtual On which is more of a fighting game and works pretty great.

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

Virtual-On Oratorio Tangram [Series X]
All day every day. Good luck against the Japanese players online.

Assault Suit Leynos - Target Earth [Genesis]
Best ending music of all time. Theres a fairly recent reload hack/patch which makes the game more playable and fair.

Assault Suit Leynos 2 [Sega Saturn]
Zoomed in and out sprites? Yes please. The mega drive version on steriods.

Armored Core For Answer [XB360]
Still the fastest action game ever created. Completely insane.

Armored Core V and Verdict Day [XB360]
100% different gameplay from FA. Im a fan of the more slowed down pace here - and longer missions.

Armored Core games are infinitely replayable in my eyes - experiments with different builds in each of the missions and trying new strats against bosses. Too bad none of the 360 era ACs are backwards compatible (yet).

Last edited:

Danjin44

From visuals are fine. More than fine in fact.
I fucking love FROM game’s visuals. I played and beat Ghost of Tsushima but can’t for life of me remember single local from that game but I remember EVERY single area from Sekiro.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Holy shit that brings back some memories LOL.

I used to think this was the coolest thing in the world, I can't believe how ass it actually looks :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

There was another one with a giant Robo Scorpion that fired a laser from its tail. I remember it attacking like pyramid or something. And for some reason they were in Chorpus Christi, Texas of all places lol.
Hell yeah, man, that was Robot Wars, lol.

My local VHS rental store had plenty of trashy movies like that and I must have rented them all dozens of times when I was a kid.

Represent.

Danjin44 Danjin44 Agree to disagree.

My dream game would be a Wide-linear mech game with:

Decima engine.
Large scale battles.
Real destruction.
Compelling story.
Mech customization.
In-mech and on foot combat.
High end production values.

If I was a billionaire I would legit fund this game myself, and the sequel after it sold 40 million.

Last edited:

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Hell yeah, man, that was Robot Wars, lol.

My local VHS rental store had plenty of trashy movies like that and I must have rented them all dozens of times when I was a kid.

Yes!!!! Thats it lolol. Same my buddy and I would go rent these things like every weekend. I was convinced this was the pinnacle of film haha

Danjin44

Danjin44 Danjin44 Agree to disagree.

My dream game would be a Wide-linear mech game with:

Decima engine.
Large scale battles.
Real destruction.
Compelling story.
Mech customization.
In-mech and on foot combat.
High end production values.

If I was a billionaire I would legit fund this game myself, and the sequel after it sold 40 million.
I guess its a good thing you are not in charge of game development.

Represent.

I guess its a good thing you are not in charge of game development.
Its shocking how awful your taste is. Gets me triggered.

Im here saying Good production values, customization, large scale combat, destruction, varied combat all mized with next gen graphics and you are saying ... that .. sounds.. .bad?

What DO you like?

Guilty_AI

Im here saying Good production values, customization, large scale combat, destruction, varied combat all mized with next gen graphics and you are saying ... that .. sounds.. .bad?
I mean, i could also say:

"oh yeah a cyberpunk game with top-of-the-line graphics, ultra in-depth role playing and character building - oh and ALSO the best cyberpunk story evah! - on a multiplanetary scale, and everything including the planets are 100% destructible. Oh, and the gazillion people living in this world all have their own backstories and routines and affect the world from their individual perspective"

Anyone can dream any bullshit game without actually giving it any further thought.

Danjin44

"oh yeah a cyberpunk game with top-of-the-line graphics, ultra in-depth role playing and character building - oh and ALSO the best cyberpunk story evah! - on a multiplanetary scale, and everything including the planets are 100% destructible. Oh, and the gazillion people living in this world all have their own backstories and routines and affect the world from their individual perspective"

Anyone can dream any bullshit game without actually giving it any further thought.
He seems has zero understanding of game development, I mean literally made a thread about games should only be 3 hours long just for sake of having “high production value”.

Represent.

Apparently you can't though? It seems all you care about is art design and standard open world gameplay.

I've had enough of that.

You'll have to forgive me for wanting to see those 200 million dollar budgets and 500+ team studios want to do something other than the status quo.

edit: thought you were Danjin44 Danjin44 wrong quote

Last edited:

Represent.

He seems has zero understanding of game development, I mean literally made a thread about games should only be 3 hours long just for sake of having “high production value”.
Do you lack reading comprehension? Read that thread again.

Also, the votes were split down the middle. Half the people who read the thread were in agreement.

Honestly, some people want to see the medium evolve, try new things. Some people are cool with how it is.

You and Guilty_AI Guilty_AI fall into the latter group from what I gather.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Apparently you can't though?
No, you cannot. Game-development isn't vodoo magic, there are things that can and can't be done.

Honestly, some people want to see the medium evolve, try new things. Some people are cool with how it is.

You and Guilty_AI Guilty_AI fall into the latter group from what I gather.
I like seeing the medium evolve, but graphics-rendering is far from what i'd consider a priority nowadays on that end. If anything i'd say graphics whoring is just holding the medium back.

Heck, you said "Large scale battles. Real destruction.". Do you think thats feasible nowadays? Even with the best of the best in terms of hardware?

It isn't, destruction tech has a loooong way to go still, even on smaller scales, let alone in a large scale battle with tons of npcs and enviromental props.

Last edited:
Top Bottom