• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 12•30•16-01•02•16 - New Year, same old 'One' as Sing continues back-up

Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

I wonder if this has anything to do with the fact that the new Star Wars movies rely heavily on female leads carrying the narrative without a strong dashing white man protecting everyone and saving the day?

They weren't huge fans of the other big female-led franchise of recent years

Code:
Title				DOM Gross	China Gross

The Hunger Games		$408M		$27M
Catching Fire			$425M		$28M
Mockingjay pt1			$337M		$36M
Mockingjay pt2			$282M		$22M

For Comparison:

Maze Runner			$102M		$24M
Maze Runner: Scorch Trials	$82M		$30M

RO is currently at $844m, is it still hitting $1b?

I would hate for that prediction (that it just barely misses $1b), out of all the terrible ones I made this year, to be the one to come true.

Rogue One will be over $900M after this weekend. Even with poor legs, we're probably looking at another $25-30M from China. Add in the rest of the domestic and overseas take and you still get >$1B.

They weren't huge fans of the other big female-led franchise of recent years

Code:
Title				DOM Gross	China Gross

The Hunger Games		$408M		$27M
Catching Fire			$425M		$28M
Mockingjay pt1			$337M		$36M
Mockingjay pt2			$282M		$22M

Maze Runner			$102M		$24M
Maze Runner: Scorch Trials	$82M		$30M

Rogue One will be over $900M after this weekend. Even with poor legs, we're probably looking at another $25-30M from China. Add in the rest of the domestic and overseas take and you still get >$1B.

Was Maze Runner female lead?

BumRush

Looks like Sing passes Moana today. Illumination is doing some pretty solid competition with Disney, and with lower budgets. Not a fan of their films, but I have to hand it to them, they're on a solid streak.

I wonder how much more the Disney movies make in merchandising though.

kswiston

As of the end of today, Rogue One should take it's place as the #5 film of 2016 worldwide, finally giving Disney its clean sweep of the Top 5. As far as I can tell, that has never happened before (at least in the past 40 years), and might not happen again for several more decades.

I don't know about immediately. Illumination is good at getting their films plastered over everything at release. However, Disney is skilled at continuing to drive merchandising money out of their films for decades. No one is going to be playing with SLOP toys in 10 years.

BumRush

I don't know about immediately. Illumination is good at getting their films plastered over everything at release. However, Disney is skilled at continuing to drive merchandising money out of their films for decades. No one is going to be playing with SLOP toys in 10 years.

Right, that's exactly how I feel. Also, every new success gives disney another reason to get you in the parks. My daughter is so excited to "meet" Alena of Avalor later this year.

Branduil

Yeah but there will still be people posting fucking minions image macros on Facebook.

Obviously Disney make a shitload more, they just have so many huge franchises and long standing ones at that.

Having said that I'd say minions has would be an absolute beast in terms of merchandise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom