• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 12•30•16-01•02•16 - New Year, same old 'One' as Sing continues back-up

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
China hated TFA?

I wasn't all that impressed personally by the film (TFA), I liked Rogue One better, but explained to a greater extent in the article from China's viewpoint:
Those new to the universe, however, were bored stiff by The Force's by-the-numbers plot, outright confused by its character relationships, and unimpressed with a level of swordplay that they were more used to seeing in low-budget television series.

vinnygambini

And these are the same people that eat up every Transformers movie?

China grew-up watching the Transformers cartoons as oppose to most of us in North America with Star Wars so their affinity to the former is greater. Kinda understandable, it's their nostalgia property.

What's wrong with Transformers?

transformers-romeo-and-juliet-law.jpg

Anth0ny

China grew-up watching the Transformers cartoons as oppose to most of us in North America with Star Wars so their affinity to the former is greater. Kinda understandable, it's their nostalgia property.

oh wow, had no idea it was a nostalgia thing.

oh my god lol

I had fun with Warcraft. I wouldn't vehemently defend it like I would other underappreciated flops like Lone Ranger and John Carter, it's nowhere near on that level for me. But i didn't hate being in the theater for it like I did for certain comic movies this year and the last.

that's the best praise I can give Warcraft..I didn't hate sitting down for it.

China likes what I tell them to like

TFA was trash so I told them to take it down
Rogue One was good so I'll give em the iggy to give it a boost

Cheebo

Banned
China likes what I tell them to like

TFA was trash so I told them to take it down
Rogue One was good so I'll give em the iggy to give it a boost

TFA did 125 million in China. While not to the same scale of record breaking numbers we saw in Europe and America that is far from bad. It beat Doctor Strange & Batman v Superman for example.

kswiston

67M Yuan first day for Rogue One in China. 71M including previews. It had much stronger walkups than typical. About $9.7M on Friday in USD.

kswiston

How does this compare to TFA?

About a third of TFA's first day, but that opened on a Saturday. Unlike here, opening night is usually not the biggest Box office day for a film in China unless it is a Sat/Sun.

First weekend should be $30-35M. Maybe a bit higher if the Sat increase is good. TFA was around $50M.

Surfinn

TFA did 125 million in China. While not to the same scale of record breaking numbers we saw in Europe and America that is far from bad. It beat Doctor Strange & Batman v Superman for example.

I don't get how people say TFA did "bad" in China. China isn't (at all) known for their interest in SW and 125M is still top 35 all time there.

this_guy

I saw Warcraft (at home not in theatres) and thought it wasn't horrible, which is way better than I expected.

If the Fast & Furious crew can add Donnie Yen in a future movie it could probably beat Titanic's worldwide total. That or shoot on location somewhere in China (which they should do before the series goes into space).

kswiston

Hidden Figures is beating expectations based on early numbers. Gitesh from Box Office Guru is saying $9M for Friday, so probably low-mid 20s for the weekend.

He has Underworld at ~$6M which is basically what was expected.

Ross61

Hidden Figures is beating expectations based on early numbers. Gitesh from Box Office Guru is saying $9M for Friday, so probably low-mid 20s for the weekend.

He has Underworld at ~$6M which is basically what was expected.

Black women doing big things :)

kswiston

Black women doing big things :)

I have to imagine that someone is getting an oscar nomination for that film.

In other news, Boxoffice.com updated their long term forecast again, taking us into March, and giving their first prediction for Logan.

Opening Week: $81M
Domestic Total: $205M

They seem pretty confident on the film's appeal.

EDIT: The Wolverine was $53M OW and $133M total

I don't get how people say TFA did "bad" in China. China isn't (at all) known for their interest in SW and 125M is still top 35 all time there.
I think it's just one of those relative things. Like, most of GAF is gonna be from English speaking countries, particularly the US, where Star Wars is a dominating force, versus China where TFA was decent but unremarkable success.

kswiston

Friday Studio Estimates:

1) Hidden Figures - $7.6M
2) Rogue One - $6.1M - $461M total
3) Sing - $5.1M - $199M total
4) Underworld Blood Wars - $4.9M
5) La La Land - $3.1M - $45M total
6) Passengers - $2.5M - $75M total
7) Why Him? - $2.1M - $44M total
8) Moana - $1.6M - $221M total
9) Fences - $1.4M - $37M total
10) Assassins Creed - $1.1M - $47M total

xx) A Monster Calls - $660k

GhaleonEB

Looks like Sing passes Moana today. Illumination is doing some pretty solid competition with Disney, and with lower budgets. Not a fan of their films, but I have to hand it to them, they're on a solid streak.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Looks like Sing passes Moana today. Illumination is doing some pretty solid competition with Disney, and with lower budgets. Not a fan of their films, but I have to hand it to them, they're on a solid streak.

Couldn't believe it when I saw Secret Life of Pets had outdone Despicable Me 2 and Zootopia and was just $20m shy of 400M

I wouldn't put them in the sam pedigree as Pixar or Disney Animation but I've enjoyed everything they've put out (bar hop and sing which I haven't got round to seeing). What upcoming projects do they have coming up?

Depending on this weekend and holds next weekend, Sing may become the highest grossing film to not hit number 1, snatching it away from My Big Fat Greek Wedding after 15 years

vinnygambini

Passengers is having a better hold than I assumed early on. It's not a $100m grosser but it'll get to low $90. Not bad.

kswiston

Depending on this weekend and holds next weekend, Sing may become the highest grossing film to not hit number 1, snatching it away from My Big Fat Greek Wedding after 15 years

Sing (and Rogue One) will lose quite a few screens next weekend given how many wide releases are scheduled. They may do alright on the venue count, but fewer places will bother with multiscreen scheduling as they dip into the teens next weekend.

I think Patriot's Day is also tracking to open over $20M. So that record should happen.

I was sort of sad last year when Inside Out narrowly defeated Jurassic World in its third weekend to place #1. It would have been cool to have a $350M film that never took a #1 weekend.

I wouldn't put them in the sam pedigree as Pixar or Disney Animation but I've enjoyed everything they've put out (bar hop and sing which I haven't got round to seeing). What upcoming projects do they have coming up?
Despicable me 3, Secret life of Pets 2, and How the Grinch stole Christmas.

On a different note, I just found out that How to train your dragon 3 is scheduled for 2019. What the fuck?

How long are we estimating Moana and Rouge One to be in theaters? I haven't been to the movies in a while and wanna see both of them. Im assuming Moana will be leaving first since that's been playing since before Thanksgiving.

Rogue One is at $22M after 2 days in China. Saturday's increase was poor. User reviews arent that good.

Man that's crazy Star Wars can't catch on with China at all. Just seems kinda weird. I could get them not really getting too into Episode VII as it carries with it a lot of baggage of having to know what happened with the earlier movies, but Rogue One is pretty self-contained. Obviously there are a million connections to A New Hope, but the plot itself really pretty much works on its own.

duckroll

I wonder if this has anything to do with the fact that the new Star Wars movies rely heavily on female leads carrying the narrative without a strong dashing white man protecting everyone and saving the day?

Schlorgan

RO is currently at $844m, is it still hitting $1b?

I would hate for that prediction (that it just barely misses $1b), out of all the terrible ones I made this year, to be the one to come true.

'Nine Lives' probably had better character development than R1.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the fact that the new Star Wars movies rely heavily on female leads carrying the narrative without a strong dashing white man protecting everyone and saving the day?

Naw, the old SW movies had White male leads and didn't do gangbusters in China.

DeathyBoy

Banned

I would hate for that prediction (that it just barely misses $1b), out of all the terrible ones I made this year, to be the one to come true.

Should do. Depends if it comes close to clearing 900m this weekend or not.

I imagine it'll make it with about 50m or so to spare.

That figure isn't taking into account China's opening yet, which should add another 28-30 million to the gross for the weekend. Add the other 16-17 million in the US from Sat-Sunday, it should be at about 890 million without the remaining overseas markets to take into account.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom