• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 12•30•16-01•02•16 - New Year, same old 'One' as Sing continues back-up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the new Transformers being filmed in China again? Isn't that partly why the last one ended up making so much even though domestically they're down every film?
Definitely played a part, though the third one was pretty massive at the time with $166M in China.

The central government will protect Hong Kong at any cost!

I can't see Dunkirk being SPR-big. Most non-Europeans don't even know what Dunkirk is.

Was SPR big because of the battle it covered or because or it was a Spielberg directed movie starring tom hanks hailed as one of if not the greatest war movie ever made? I'm not sure a war movie will be that big in the modern market but I don't think that will be because of the specific battle it covers.

kswiston

What is Sing tracking towards?

Hard to say. We just got through two very unusual weekends. 2011 is the only recent year that offers same date comparisons.

Sing's 4-day New Year's weekend bump (62.5%) was between Chipmunks 3 (70.7%) and Tintin (58.0%) on the same Dec 30-Jan 2nd weekend in 2011/2012.

Both of those fell around 56% from the 4-day total in the following weekend. The same 56% drop would give Sing a third weekend of $25.2M.

Both films also had pretty similar legs after that weekend ending Jan 2nd. The same legs for Sing put it at $275M domestic total. Actual legs could vary some obviously.

Sing has the #10 spot of the year locked. Sorry to spoil your epic battle Moana, Doctor Strange, and Fantastic Beasts.

Between Zootopia, Jungle Book, Dory, Secret Life of Pets, and now Sing... talking animals were the true winners of 2016.*

*Unless that animal had the misfortune of being in a Fox film.

Penguin

Between Zootopia, Jungle Book, Dory, Secret Life of Pets, and now Sing... talking animals were the true winners of 2016.*

*Unless that animal had the misfortune of being in a Fox film.

Ha if I'm Warner/Disney looking into DC/Marvel's catalog... greenlight that Superpets animated movie or some Squirrel Girl spin-off or Detective Chimp.

Ha if I'm Warner/Disney looking into DC/Marvel's catalog... greenlight that Superpets animated movie or some Squirrel Girl spin-off or Detective Chimp.
latest

in the DCCU

Branduil

Was SPR big because of the battle it covered or because or it was a Spielberg directed movie starring tom hanks hailed as one of if not the greatest war movie ever made? I'm not sure a war movie will be that big in the modern market but I don't think that will be because of the specific battle it covers.

Saving Private Ryan had a massive amount of word-of-mouth hype from early screenings about the opening D-day scenes. Everybody in America knows about D-day; ask them about Dunkirk and you'll get blank stares.

Sean C

Saving Private Ryan had a massive amount of word-of-mouth hype from early screenings about the opening D-day scenes. Everybody in America knows about D-day; ask them about Dunkirk and you'll get blank stares.
But it was the content of the scenes themselves that was special.

I'm sure Dunkirk is less famous in the US than it is in the Commonwealth, but I don't think that's a big problem. It's a Christopher Nolan war film; that's plenty of hook.

Dunkirk will at the most be like 400 ww. And that's being optimistic I think

But god damn was that prologue amazing. Basically confirmed it will be a lock for best big movie of the summer easy if that is consistent with the rest of the film. Tense as shit and amazing sound design

They might give Howard the Duck another shot at film
if the hype over his cameo in the GotG stinger was anything to go by

Do you seriously just compare Chris Evans to Gal Gadot? The man has no range but compared to her he's motherfucking Daniel Day Lewis.

Oh god I just envisioned the Chris Evans laugh meme but if he was wearing an Abe Lincoln top hat and beard and now I can't get this image out of my head. lmao

i don't really see a war movie having that big of a box office pull with today's audience. even with Nolan blessing it with his name.

edit: holy shit american sniper made 550...never mind. I think Nolan can do 6-700 with this. the footage was very edge of your seat.

duckroll

Yeah I mean, I think you really underestimate word of mouth and marketing. It's not that war films can't make a shitload of money, it's that there hasn't been a "big" war movie with the full marketing machine behind it for ages. Even something like Fury which is R-rated made over 200 million WW. Nolan can easily double that at the very least.

Worth noting that for all the "scifi hook" people talk up, Inception was a far more successful film than Interstellar was. I think grounded settings are still the easiest sells. Even with all the mind bending stuff, Inception was a crime thriller about criminals pulling a heist. That's something people can relate to more than space portals.

Huh, maybe I'm overestimating a bit, but I really don't think so. In an environment where SS puts up the numbers it does I don't reasonably see a scenario where WW can't do $600

I think that Harley and Joker helped pull people in for Suicide Squad. They are hugely popular characters. Shit, just look at all the merchandise and Hot Topic at any time of year to see that. While Wonder Woman is an extremely well known character, I still don't know just how big of a draw she will be for a summer audience, especially in such a competitive slot in the season. SS would have done great numbers anyways, but coming at the tail end of the season with almost zero competition was definitely a help.

Personally, I am thinking WW pulls in Ant-Man numbers in the end. Respectable, but not setting the world on fire.

3N16MA

Banned
Huh, maybe I'm overestimating a bit, but I really don't think so. In an environment where SS puts up the numbers it does I don't reasonably see a scenario where WW can't do $600

MoS failed to reach 700M and Superman has more pull than Wonder Woman. BvS failed to reach 850M and those two character combined have as much influence and impact as anyone. 600M is not out of the question as I think it can get close to MoS with a well reviewed film. However if the reviews are poor and audiences do not gravitate towards it like SS, then it could be in trouble.

MCU films like Ant-Man and Doctor Strange have the benefit of doing well in China. Both out grossed BvS.

I think that Harley and Joker helped pull people in for Suicide Squad. They are hugely popular characters. Shit, just look at all the merchandise and Hot Topic at any time of year to see that. While Wonder Woman is an extremely well known character, I still don't know just how big of a draw she will be for a summer audience, especially in such a competitive slot in the season. SS would have done great numbers anyways, but coming at the tail end of the season with almost zero competition was definitely a help.

Personally, I am thinking WW pulls in Ant-Man numbers in the end. Respectable, but not setting the world on fire.

I think people are overselling the draw of SS in the aftermath of what it brought in. Both BvS and SS were reviewed horrendously and still had major Box Office performance.

I'm now supposed to believe regardless of reviews, that WW is going to draw like Ant-Man? I just don't see it.

I think people are overselling the draw of SS in the aftermath of what it brought in. Both BvS and SS were reviewed horrendously and still had major Box Office performance.

I'm now supposed to believe regardless of reviews, that WW is going to draw like Ant-Man? I just don't see it.

Working in a book store and selling so much Harley and Joker merch for years to casual comic readers told me that those characters were a draw. Anecdotal, I know. Also, just look at how saturated places like Hot Topic were for the year or so leading up to release. Those characters were the draw. People could give less than a shit about Boomerang or Deadshot, even if they are draws to more hardcore comic fans.

Having said that, I don't mean for my comments to seem dismissive of how well the film did. It did exceptional business, especially on those reviews.

MoS failed to reach 700M and Superman has more pull than Wonder Woman. BvS failed to reach 850M and those two character combined have as much influence and impact as anyone. 600M is not out of the question as I think it can get close to MoS with a well reviewed film. However if the reviews are poor and audiences do not gravitate towards it like SS, then it could be in trouble.

MCU films like Ant-Man and Doctor Strange have the benefit of doing well in China. Both out grossed BvS.

Ant-Man and Doctor Strange also have the benefit of MCU goodwill. Marvel Studios is a brand now that has earned a lot of trust with audiences. While it isn't matching the numbers that Avengers put up, it is still reliable enough to keep pulling in a lot of money.

3N16MA

Banned

The next Mummy film drops the very next week after Wonder Woman and it will compete. Cars 3 comes in the week after and Transformers after that.

SS had nothing to compete with in August.

EDIT: Should point out that I said WW could hit 600M sometime last year. It just needs things to fall into place. Being well reviewed in the face of stiffer competition helps.

I keep forgetting about Kong: Skull Island. Is anyone expecting $600m+ out of that?

And Wonder Woman being sandwiched between Pirates, Tom Cruise and Cars 3 doesn't look too good for doing SS numbers imo. Even if Pirates and Tom Cruise don't set the box office on fire, they'll still take a chunk out. And I fully expect Cars 3 to make some money regardless of quality.

I keep forgetting about Kong: Skull Island. Is anyone expecting $600m+ out of that?

And Wonder Woman being sandwiched between Pirates, Tom Cruise and Cars 3 doesn't look too good for doing SS numbers imo. Even if Pirates and Tom Cruise don't set the box office on fire, they'll still take a chunk out. And I fully expect Cars 3 to make some money regardless of quality.
I think Kong will do alright. $400m+ or so, decent chance of $600m+. The trailer wasn't too bad, and John C. Reilly will carry that film.

Wonder Woman will do $500-800m regardless of what it's placed against. You could release it next to Star Wars Episode VIII and people will just watch both films on the same day.

Pirates won't quite crack a billion, but it'll do okay. Cars 3 has $500m+ in it. The Mummy is a tricky one... I don't know if the Cruise Missile can carry it.

Fate Of The Furious will crack $2 billion.

duckroll

Have you considered the possibility that BvS and SS managed to make a shitload of money despite the reviews because... of... Batman?

Truly I don't see how it comes under that.

Are there people that actually think it won't?

You missed a whole couple of pages about this lol. A lot of people are low-balling WW around here. But I'm like you, I think it'll do well. People let their pessimism of the DCEU color a lot the movie has going for it. I don't think $600 million is unreasonable at all.

I think WW will have the most competition when compared to BvS and SS. Biggest movies I see around their releases are:

BvS
Week prior: Divergent
Week after: Big Fat Greek Wedding 2
2 Weeks after: Meet The Black, God's Not Dead 2
3 Weeks after: The Boss, Hardcore Henry
4 Weeks after: Captain America Civil War

SS
Week prior: Jason Bourne, Bad Moms
Week after: Pete's Dragon, Sausage Party
2 Weeks after: Kubo, War Dogs, Ben Hur
3 Weeks after: Don't Breathe
4 Weeks after: Morgan (I guess, nothing worthy released here)
5 Weeks after: Sully (I guess, nothing worthy released here)
6 Weeks after: Blair Witch (I guess, nothing worthy released here)
7 Weeks after: Magnificent Seven, Storks

WW
Week prior: POTC
Week after: Mummy
2 weeks after: Cars 3, Book of Henry
3 weeks after: Transformers
4 weeks after: Despicable Me 3

Looking at that, I think SS had the easiest time and WW will have the hardest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom