• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 12•30•16-01•02•16 - New Year, same old 'One' as Sing continues back-up

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeathyBoy

Banned
May 26

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales, Baywatch

Jun 2

Wonder Woman, Captain Underpants, Lady Macbeth

Jun 9

The Mummy

Jun 16

Cars 3, The Book of Henry, Rock That Body

I got WW sub 500. Capt Underpants is coming for that ass.

I hope the POTC bubble bursts.

God. Awful. Franchise.

Anth0ny

To be fair, if it's actually a good film then the ceiling is scary high.

And I may be underselling it, but y'all jokers are crazy if you think WW is bottoming out at Ant-Man levels. Six months after BVS, Suicide Squad got even worse reviews and topped 700 million worldwide.

we were saying "y'all jokers are crazy if you think BvS isn't smashing $1 billion with ease" at the beginning of last year

and yet here we are

I now assume the worst for DC films. 500-600m for wonder woman sounds about right to me, maybe less.

we were saying "y'all jokers are crazy if you think BvS isn't smashing $1 billion with ease" at the beginning of last year

and yet here we are

I now assume the worst for DC films. 500-600m for wonder woman sounds about right to me, maybe less.

You say this after SS with an almost entirely unknown crew of characters with terrible reviews and WoM made $700 million in the box office. Lol, I mean, sure a lot of people said that about BvS, but still, the thing made a ton, even if it didn't break a billion. Assuming the worst on those numbers is pretty silly.

DeathyBoy

Banned
You say this after SS with an almost entirely unknown crew of characters with terrible reviews and WoM made $700 million in the box office. Lol, I mean, sure a lot of people said that about BvS, but still, the thing made a ton, even if it didn't break a billion. Assuming the worst on those numbers is pretty silly.

That and people want a strong female led franchise.

I mean fuck, Hunger Games cleaned up.

SS was powered by Harley & Deadshot, the best trailer of the year, and Joker bait n switches

Ross61

Definitely gonna take note if all this WW doubt.

hCuyP3ql.jpg

SS was powered by Harley & Deadshot, the best trailer of the year, and Joker bait n switches

And yet, the movie wasn't front-loaded after some of the worst reviews and WoM of the year, and managed to make more than just about anyone here predicted. The denial is a deep one.

BLACKLAC

SS was sold on Joker, Batman, Will Smith(his effect is minimal), and Margot Robbie in short shorts. Combined with releasing in a dead month and good hot topic marketing campaign, plus 2 years of hype buildup.

WW has none of this. The cast isn't even a draw.

jett

D-Member
May 26

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales, Baywatch

Jun 2

Wonder Woman, Captain Underpants, Lady Macbeth

Jun 9

The Mummy

Jun 16

Cars 3, The Book of Henry, Rock That Body

I got WW sub 500. Capt Underpants is coming for that ass.

I thought 2016's movie summer was bad, but it seems like we ain't seen shit yet.

SS was sold on Joker, Batman, Will Smith(his effect is minimal), and Margot Robbie in short shorts. Combined with releasing in a dead month and good hot topic marketing campaign.

WW was none of this. The cast isn't even a draw.
Hul.

We need to stop pretending like WW is going to bomb. Did anyone even know who Chris Evans was before Captain America?

Wonder Woman at the very least has decades of iconism and familiarity within the general public. Certainly much more than Iron Man or Captain America during their debuts.

She'll be fine

Yeah. And Suicide Squad didn't release in China. Same with Deadpool. Both were hugely successful.

Having the full context of the year makes seemingly underperforming movies like BvS and Civil War not too shabby. I think despite the fatigue narrative audience continue to go see these movies.

That said, I'm expecting less for Wonder Woman. In that upper $500mil range, which would still be big success all told.

SS was sold on Joker, Batman, Will Smith(his effect is minimal), and Margot Robbie in short shorts. Combined with releasing in a dead month and good hot topic marketing campaign.

WW was none of this. The cast isn't even a draw.

And yet, the movie wasn't front-loaded after some of the worst reviews and WoM of the year, and managed to make more than just about anyone here predicted. The denial is a deep one.

WW has an iconic figure larger than any character in SS (besides Batman and Joker, but each are barely in the movie, and Batman wasn't in the marketing at all), and being the first solo female superhero film of the modern era, coming off a movie where she was well-received and garnered interest. The marketing may not be 'brilliant,' but nothing about it has been ill-received outside people super pessimistic about the DCEU in general thinking it will suck. The trailers have all mostly been well-received from what I can tell, and that movie is a direct lead-in for Justice League.

So, yeah, WW has enough. It'll do fine.

I mean, I'm not going to sit here and say WW is a guaranteed $700 million or whatever, but the total dismissal of the potential of it is pretty silly to me. There's a decent amount working for the movie that it could be a big success. We'll see when we get there, though. I think people are just so cynical here about the quality of the DCEU they can't see past that.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Hul.

We need to stop pretending like WW is going to bomb. Did anyone even know who Chris Evans was before Captain America?

Wonder Woman at the very least has decades of iconism and familiarity within the general public. Certainly much more than Iron Man or Captain America during their debuts.

She'll be fine

Also, no MCU actors sell. Their franchises sell.

As proven by Chris Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence being not worth a damn in terms of getting people to go and see Passenger.

I mean, I'm not going to sit here and say WW is a guaranteed $700 million or whatever, but the total dismissal of the potential of it is pretty silly to me. There's a decent amount working for the movie that it could be a big success. We'll see when we get there, though. I think people are just so cynical here about the quality of the DCEU they can't see past that.

Personally I don't feel excitement polls are worth a damn, but for those who do, recently Wonder Woman is quite high on the list. Below Star Wars, obviously, and GotG2 but above Spider-Man HC and Logan. Also has it above Fast 8, and I don't believe it'll make more than that.

I'm not sure how realistic that is though, given the DCU budgets so far. That would make the movie cheaper than all (recent) DCU and MCU movies.

Yet the sad reality is it's the largest budget for a female directed, female led blockbuster.

What I wouldn't give to have had boxofficeGAF around when Matrix Reloaded gotten beaten by a fish movie and a pirate movie that was expected to be the biggest bomb of the summer.

El Topo

Yet the sad reality is it's the largest budget for a female directed, female led blockbuster.

I know, but if we look at DCU movies, we have 225m (MoS), 250m (BvS) and 175m (SS). We get another 200m if we take Green Lantern into account. Surely they would not cut their usual budget in half for WW.
Somewhat unrelated, but is it just me, or did they kind of drop the ball with the casting for WW? There's Chris Pine and...uh...Robin Wright?

It's clear the DC movies have a much higher ceiling on them than Marvel's offerings.

The only reason they're not taking over the bank is because they keep making poor films. Once they get that under control, the money will come rolling in.

Of course, you also have to hand it to Marvel for making magic out of what it had.

It's clear the DC movies have a much higher ceiling on them than Marvel's offerings.

The only reason they're not taking over the bank is because they keep making poor films. Once they get that under control, the money will come rolling in.

Of course, you also have to hand it to Marvel for making magic out of what it had.

Agree, however DC is making movies with higher tier characters. Where as Spidey and X-men are locked up elsewhere. Marvel makes movies with B tier scubs all the way to D listers like Strange.

Hul.

She'll be fine

Do you seriously just compare Chris Evans to Gal Gadot? The man has no range but compared to her he's motherfucking Daniel Day Lewis.

Do you seriously just compare Chris Evans to Gal Gadot? The man has no range but compared to her he's motherfucking Daniel Day Lewis.

He's pretty shit but yeah much better than gadot at this point.

But no he's comparing their bankability with audiences. Which to be fair he had like none at that point, much like gadot. So chill.

He's pretty shit but yeah much better than gadot at this point.

But no he's comparing their bankability with audiences. Which to be fair he had like none at that point, much like gadot. So chill.

He still doesn't. As has been said above, none of the MCU actors have a draw outside the films, not even RDJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom