• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 12•30•16-01•02•16 - New Year, same old 'One' as Sing continues back-up

Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

I'm saying $650-750M for Pirates 5. I wouldn't be all that surprised if it's lower, but I think the Chinese gross will be solid.

I bet Avatar cost more then that, but we'll never know. Just the R&D alone had to be absurd.

Avatar was mostly digital, so I doubt it cost as much as Pirates 4. Avatar made so much money that they could have boasted about a $500M budget, and it still would have been a huge success. As such, I doubt the production budget was all that much higher than the reported $240M.

The 3D filming tech developed in the decade prior to Avatar probably isn't included, but Cameron's been doing stuff like that as side projects for awhile now.

Quake1028

I'm going to chime in a day late and a dollar short, like always, with my Star Wars rankings, since I finally got to see Rogue One.

ESB > ANH > TFA > RO > RotS >> RotJ >> AotC > TPM

kswiston

So now that Rogue One has a lock on the Domestic Crown, and Civil War more or less has a lock on the Worldwide Crown (China pending), I went back and took a look through our earlier predictions thread.

One I ran 3 months ago with no completely right guesses: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1288085&highlight=

3N16MA's thread from the beginning of the year. He didn't specify if people were guessing worldwide grosses or domestic grosses, so there's ambiguity to hide behind, but most people were off base. I haven't made my way through all of the pre-BvS release posts yet though.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1192721

One of my favourite in the early posts though:

Civil War will not win worldwide, that will be between Batman vs Superman and Rogue One. You do realize that Marvel movies aren't very popular outside the US, right? The only way I could see Civil War getting that popular is if they decide to market Spidey hard the coming months, as if he was the main character.

Said at a point in time where Avengers, Age of Ultron, and Iron Man 3 were the 5th, 7th, and 10th biggest films of all time worldwide, with the 7th, 8th, and 12th biggest overseas grosses of all time. Definitely a US only thing!

Unpopular Civil War ended up virtually unwatched at 12th of all time worldwide and a terrible 16th of all time overseas. :p

EDIT:

And because I don't pretend to get everything right, my statements:

I am going to go with Rogue One overall domestic. I think that BvS versus Civil War is a bit of a toss up. I think that BvS will open higher though.

R1 was #1. Civil War and BvS weren't much of a toss up. Civil War opened higher.

I have a very hard time seeing Fantastic Beasts in the race domestically. Potter was never all that big domestically outside of the first and last film.

Overseas is a bit of a wildcard, but as a spin-off, I don't even know if $1B is all that probable. I think all three films in the thread title will hit the $1B mark worldwide.

Fantastic Beasts will finish close to or just over $800M, and the domestic total was indeed not all that large ($240M maybe). Lol to BvS over $1B.

It's all because of that kickass one-take opening

Mendes really made some damn elegant and expensive looking movies. I could actually believe they cost that much

The problem with spectre was that it was boring as shit. But god damn did the locations and cinematography and clothes and cars etc. look amazing

Spectre certainly looked expensive as fuck that's for sure

I thought it was a step down from Skyfall, cinematography wise.

Koodo

Banned
3N16MA's thread from the beginning of the year. He didn't specify if people were guessing worldwide grosses or domestic grosses, so there's ambiguity to hide behind, but most people were off base. I haven't made my way through all of the pre-BvS release posts yet though.

This thread is so embarrassing in hindsight.

The only correct prediction came through everyone ignoring X-Men Apocalypse in their bets.

Anth0ny

From that predictions thread:

So I'm thinking Star Wars hype is at an all time high and Rogue One will end up on top.

Rogue One > Civil War > Batman v Superman

BvS will have bad legs because I have a feeling it will review poorly and word of mouth will be negative :(

Civil War will be the complete opposite. 90%+ on RT, everyone losing their shit over Spider-Man, Spidey in teasers on TV... It's going to be nuts.

But Rogue One will just dominate in the Winter like TFA just did and come out on top. Once the Vader teasing begins... oh man.

That's from March.

I was wrong on Civil War > Iron Man 3, though. Still can't believe that. stupid masses, stop being stupid. Needed more Spidey in the marketing!

From that predictions thread:

That's from March.

I was wrong on Civil War > Iron Man 3, though. Still can't believe that. stupid masses, stop being stupid. Needed more Spidey in the marketing!

Wasn't that only because of exchange rates though? IIRC if you adjust either to the other's current rates Civil War wins.

kswiston

Wasn't that only because of exchange rates though? IIRC if you adjust either to the other's current rates Civil War wins.

Iron Man 3 would have earned about $1.04B WW if adjusted to December exchange rates. If you want to adjust for exchange and ticket inflation, it would be sitting at aroun $1.075B

Civil War with the same exchange rate adjustment would be sitting at $1.11B. Mostly because the Chinese Yuan has depreciated since May.

Exchange rates don't account for it coming in lower than IM3 in the states (albeit barely).

It even had worse legs than IM3, which I can only explain by assuming that the number of casual Marvel viewers has shrunk.

BLACKLAC

No idea about Rogue One, but Batman v Superman will expose the MCU for the rinky-dink operation it is.

A portion of GAF will be flustered by this, but ultimately give in after Suicide Squad release, which will end up the most liked here.

nLkqpgs.gif

Exchange rates don't account for it coming in lower than IM3 in the states (albeit barely).

It even had worse legs than IM3, which I can only explain by assuming that the number of casual Marvel viewers has shrunk.

Pace isn't as quick and the heroes keep yelling at each other.

kswiston

Iron Man 3 was also riding the Avengers high. I think the same thing is going to end up being true for Rogue One in the US. I doubt every anthology film from here on out breaks $500M domestic.

That thread kswiss posted is memorable because of disco's destructive betrayal towards me

Also I don't think I made a prediction again

Pace isn't as quick and the heroes keep yelling at each other.
That's CRAZY.

There's a 20 minute sidequest in IM3 where Tony Stark builds a potato gun for a brat kid.

Iron Man 3 was also riding the Avengers high. I think the same thing is going to end up being true for Rogue One in the US. I doubt every anthology film from here on out breaks $500M domestic.
I would think not, especially if the Boba Fett film actually happens. I know he's supposedly super popular, but that doesn't even scream $300M to me.

Only part of my predictions I feel dead wrong about is Independence Day 2 possibly catching on. I blame Jurassic World for that false confidence in '90s nostalgia.

Well, money wise basically every guess is overestimated by $300 thousand. The order is about the same as reality.

3N16MA

Banned

Could do a 2017 edition but with Episode VIII dropping at the end of the year it's pretty much a lock to top everything.

Perhaps a top 3 would be better.

Depends if we hear anything more regarding Depp's alleged wife-beating.

Though Alice 2 bombing as hard as it did probably has Disney worried.

Both parties seem to be working hard to keep that story out of the news (the only thing I've heard about it in the past 6 months is people trying to say she hadn't donated the money, and an anti-domestic abuse thing where she never actually mentions him by name). I think, at this point, Pirates will stand or fall on it's own quality, and Depp has enough bombs over the past few years that you can attribute his bad box office to that instead of his personal issues.

I think it's a pretty different situation. Alice was a one of success buoyed by the 3D boom. Pirates has now had 4 successful movies despite the quality of the last 2 instalments. I don't think 5 will come close to the billion mark but it won't be an Alice style collapse IMO.

Bluth54

Star Trek Beyond got MUCH better on 2nd viewing (from boring to rather good.) But yes, fire the marketing guy. Fucking horrendous job.

It's crazy that 2016 was the 50th Anniversary of Star Trek and Paramount did nothing to celebrate that and help cross promote Star Trek Beyond. You can get a ton of free publicity for the 50th anniversary of a franchise.

You can't compare a TV show to a movie franchise 1:1, but Doctor Who turned their 50th Anniversary episode into an event (which is a little harder to do with a movie like Beyond but still could be done). The BBC did a lot of great things to cross promote it, like making a drama about the creation of Doctor Who (something that would be perfect for Star Trek) and a funny web movie about 3 of the former Doctors trying to get on the 50th anniversary episode with tons of cameos from people associated with the show past and present.

Beyond had nothing but some shitty, generic trailers.

It's crazy that 2016 was the 50th Anniversary of Star Trek and Paramount did nothing to celebrate that and help cross promote Star Trek Beyond. You can get a ton of free publicity for the 50th anniversary of a franchise.

You can't compare a TV show to a movie franchise 1:1, but Doctor Who turned their 50th Anniversary episode into an event (which is a little harder to do with a movie like Beyond but still could be done). The BBC did a lot of great things to cross promote it, like making a drama about the creation of Doctor Who (something that would be perfect for Star Trek) and a funny web movie about 3 of the former Doctors trying to get on the 50th anniversary episode with tons of cameos from people associated with the show past and present.

Beyond had nothing but some shitty, generic trailers.

yeah... whoever they put in charge of marketing campaigns on that one (or perhaps the entire company) should probably be made to walk the plank.

Anth0ny

how many bombs does depp have at this point? even before the wife beating stuff came about.

I think general audiences are just sick of his shit. his name is like box office poison at this point. it's crazy.

kswiston

how many bombs does depp have at this point? even before the wife beating stuff came about.

I think general audiences are just sick of his shit. his name is like box office poison at this point. it's crazy.

Depp hasn't had a clear hit since the last Pirates film. Everything since has ranged from "Bomb of the year competitor" to "disappointing but not a bomb".

kswiston

Huh? It opens in China on Friday and doing a billion. That has to be more then they were expecting.

I think that Domestic is exceeding expectations, while overseas is matching or underperforming expectations depending on the territory. Rogue One is still a $200M tentpole, so it's not like they would have been happy with $500-600M WW.

What did you expect from a spin off? 1 billion WW is pretty good.

Huh? It opens in China on Friday and doing a billion. That has to be more then they were expecting.

Oh come on. It's a spin off for us, for the audience at large it's a Star Wars movie. The big drop off suggests TFA's number was super inflated due to hype, and interest in the franchise has cooled off a bit.

I'm curious to see what VIII's numbers will be.

kswiston

Oh come on. It's a spin off for us, for the audience at large it's a Star Wars movie. The big drop off suggests TFA's number was super inflated due to hype, and interest in the franchise has cooled off a bit.

I'm curious to see what VIII's numbers will be.

I think that Ep VIII will easily clear $1.5B WW. I do expect it to drop from TFA, especially in territories like Japan which tend to be a bit lukewarm on immediate sequels.

El Topo

It does kind of drive home the unfortunate viewpoint that if you don't have white people as your primary characters, you're going to take a hit at the BO.

Nah. That would be a simplified conclusion. I'm sure Disney is going to take a close look at Moana/Vaiana (and e.g. The Good Dinosaur) to see why exactly things went wrong.
We've also seen movies perform disappointingly before, e.g. Brave didn't exactly set the world on fire either and The Good Dinosaur bombed.

So Black Panther is doomed?

No. I will not rule out that it *might* suffer in international markets, but I doubt (or at least hope) it won't be severe. Fast&Furious for example does extremely well internationally.
I will admit though that I'm a bit worried.

No. I will not rule out that it *might* suffer in international markets, but I doubt (or at least hope) it won't be severe. Fast&Furious for example does extremely well internationally.
I will admit though that I'm a bit worried.

Fast & Furious has a multi-cultural cast, while Black Panther is looking to be a primarily black one. I do think that'll make a difference, we'll just have to wait and see how big that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom