• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 12•30•16-01•02•16 - New Year, same old 'One' as Sing continues back-up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meier

I liked Rogue One more than TFA (my wife certainly did as well) but I think they're both excellent films. It's inevitable that it wouldn't do nearly as well as it is as it's a side film. It'll probably do around $575m domestic which is fucking bonkers when you think about it.

BLACKLAC

$775M for Rogue One worldwide. China opens next weekend. Given that TFA wad at $1.5B by this point (also with China left to open), Civil War will keep the worldwide crown.

Good effort Star Wars, better luck next time.
YN4AMq2.gifhttp:

kswiston

That's sort of a weird thing to compare though as it only tells part of the story. Assassin's Creed will probably end up making $60-70m domestically and at least double that overseas. It's surely not what they were hoping for but with home video, selling to HBO, etc., it'll come out as a wash which frankly isn't that bad. Ratchet and Clank was a huge bomb but I have no clue why anyone had any expectations for success with it.

Assassin's Creed won't sniff $70M domestic. Next weekend will be in the $3M range, with mass venue dumps shortly after. Maybe $55M. $60M if it magically develops legs.

The film does have a bunch of openings left, but based on what we have so far, I'd be surprised if it breaks 125M overseas minus China. I'm expecting something a lot closer to $100M.

The film is coming out in China on Feb 12th, so I guess it has has a shot at $200M+. However, no one is going to be rushing to greenlight more video game films based on that.

Best case scenario for AssCreed:

$60M domestic ($33M studio take)
$125M overseas ($50M studio take)
$50M China ($12M studio take)

Around $95M studio earnings against that $125M production budget.

What I think is more likely:

$55M domestic ($30M studio take)
$100M overseas ($40M studio take)
$25M China ($6M studio take)

$76M against the $125M production budget.

Prince of Persia was ~$150M vs its $200M production budget and was never heard from again. AssCreed is going to be in the same category.

Those overseas numbers for Moana are just sad. I assume some of it is due to the weak European currencies, but it's still disappointing.

well, for one it's been transmorphed into Vaiana here (NL), so it's not surprisingly that there is no brand overlap between countries.
I also think European are probably just not that interested in watching animation in cinema without kids.

Star Trek 4 will probably happen simply because Paramount has basically nothing in 2019 except Transformers 7 (!!!). Maybe they'll pump out World War Z 3, but the jury's out on that.

Effect

Star Trek 4 will probably happen simply because Paramount has basically nothing in 2019 except Transformers 7 (!!!). Maybe they'll pump out World War Z 3, but the jury's out on that.

If Star Trek 4 happens I hope they fire whoever was responsible for Beyond's marketing. Keep going in the direction they've going story wise. Continue to ignore Into Darkness the way Beyond did. Try to make it clear there is a good balance between character development, emotion and action. Beyond was a good balance I feel and what was needed. I do think Into Darkness and the marketing for Beyond hurt Star Trek Beyond. I think they can bounce back though. They also need to pick their release date better. Don't stick it in the crowded summer. Beyond was a bump for them but I don't think it's because of Beyond itself.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Maybe this is just me being painfully naive, but it seems like a bit of a stretch to assume that Moana has been a bit of a disappointment at the box office because the protagonist didn't happen to be Caucasian, especially when it's found itself competing against the likes of Fantastic Beasts and Rogue One.

Assassin's Creed won't sniff $70M domestic. Next weekend will be in the $3M range, with mass venue dumps shortly after. Maybe $55M. $60M if it magically develops legs.

The film does have a bunch of openings left, but based on what we have so far, I'd be surprised if it breaks 125M overseas minus China. I'm expecting something a lot closer to $100M.

The film is coming out in China on Feb 12th, so I guess it has has a shot at $200M+. However, no one is going to be rushing to greenlight more video game films based on that.

Best case scenario for AssCreed:

$60M domestic ($33M studio take)
$125M overseas ($50M studio take)
$50M China ($12M studio take)

Around $95M studio earnings against that $125M production budget.

What I think is more likely:

$55M domestic ($30M studio take)
$100M overseas ($40M studio take)
$25M China ($6M studio take)

$76M against the $125M production budget.

Prince of Persia was ~$150M vs its $200M production budget and was never heard from again. AssCreed is going to be in the same category.

So, that would mean it wins 'biggest bomb of the year 2016' versus previous contender for the title Ben-Hur, right? Or are we not counting 2017 earnings along with that?

Man, I want it to be that movie. It deserves it. Assassin's Creed wasn't even offensively stupid enough for Mark Kermode to include it on his 'worst movies of 2016' list, and he kind of liked AC for what it does too.

Europe + Aus/NZ had no problem spending close to $400M on Minions last year.

That would be with kids though, since it was mostly marketed directly at those. Moana isn't, as far I can tell.
With kids: fine. Singular person without kids: creep.

DeathyBoy

Banned
If Star Trek 4 happens I hope they fire whoever was responsible for Beyond's marketing. Keep going in the direction they've going story wise. Continue to ignore Into Darkness the way Beyond did. Try to make it clear there is a good balance between character development, emotion and action. Beyond was a good balance I feel and what was needed. I do think Into Darkness and the marketing for Beyond hurt Star Trek Beyond. I think they can bounce back though. They also need to pick their release date better. Don't stick it in the crowded summer. Beyond was a bump for them but I don't think it's because of Beyond itself.

Star Trek Beyond got MUCH better on 2nd viewing (from boring to rather good.) But yes, fire the marketing guy. Fucking horrendous job.

Schlorgan

I think the timing hurt it more than the marketing (even though the marketing was poor). That movie got buried under Bourne and Suicide Squad hype. It should have come out after those two movies turned out to be massively disappointing and been a great surprise to end the summer with.

kswiston

So, that would mean it wins 'biggest bomb of the year 2016' versus previous contender for the title Ben-Hur, right? Or are we not counting 2017 earnings along with that?

Man, I want it to be that movie. It deserves it. Assassin's Creed wasn't even offensively stupid enough for Mark Kermode to include it on his 'worst movies of 2016' list, and he kind of liked AC for what it does too.

Assassin's Creed isn't the biggest 2016 release flop, no. Probably not in the top 20 looking at films that opened wide (over 1500 venues at some point in their run). If we restrict our films to those with larger budgets (say $50M+), it still would probably miss the Top 10.

ERC Box Office named these 5 as the biggest bombs of the year (no order):

Gods of Egypt - $31M DOM, $150M WW, $140M budget
Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk - $1.7M DOM, $31M WW, $40M budget
Ben-Hur - $26M DOM, $94M WW, $100M budget
Deepwater Horizon - $61M DOM, $119M WW, $110M budget
Rules Don't Apply - $3.6M DOM/WW, $25M budget

I don't agree with all of the picks for a Top 5, but all of them will be less successful than Assassins Creed.

Idk could be total antecedal but every casual Star Trek fan I know (people who like the new movies but don't watch the show) unanimously liked Into Darkness more than Beyond

Schlorgan

Idk could be total antecedal but every casual Star Trek fan I know (people who like the new movies but don't watch the show) unanimously liked Into Darkness more than Beyond

The people I know preferred Beyond, so public opinion on the movie is probably just as divided as the GAF opinion.

DeathyBoy

Banned

I did at the time.

Mostly it's because casual people like the idea of Star Trek, but they don't want to see a big budget TOS episode.

kswiston

That would be with kids though, since it was mostly marketed directly at those. Moana isn't, as far I can tell.
With kids: fine. Singular person without kids: creep.

I very much doubt that Minions hit ~$400M in EU/AUS based on kids and parents alone. If that was the case, we would see way more animated films hitting $1B.

I agree that Europe overall isn't as big on animation as the US (though animated films can make bank in France and the UK).

Sony technically still have James Bond right? Or has the deal with EON/MGM ran out yet.

It ran out with Spectre and there were reports of a bidding war in 2015. Haven't heard if the deal was renewed yet. There was a rumor that Sony was offering Craig $150 million for two more films, which would point to the deal being renewed, but that wasn't confirmed.

Star Trek needs to find a way to tame the budget.

It's trending towards 320M WW with a 180M+ budget.

Kill the entire cast except for Zoe Saldana

It ran out with Spectre and there were reports of a bidding war in 2015. Haven't heard if the deal was renewed yet. There was a rumor that Sony was offering Craig $150 million for two more films, which would point to the deal being renewed, but that wasn't confirmed.

150 million, fuck me sideways

I get that Spectre was draining as shit on him but take that deal Danny

kswiston

When the next Bond only makes $725M (putting it at #3 in the franchise), Sony will announce that the series is no longer profitable because they couldn't recoup the $300M they spent on its production.

BLACKLAC

When the next Bond only makes $725M (putting it at #3 in the franchise), Sony will announce that the series is no longer profitable because they couldn't recoup the $300M they spent on its production.

I just looked at Specters production budget..... You aren't even joking.

How the fuck did it cost that much?

jett

D-Member
Sony is such a poorly-ran studio.

They have a new studio head right? I wonder if he'll be able to turn things around. Sure hope he knows the first order of business is to stop greenlighting straight garbage.

Mendes really made some damn elegant and expensive looking movies. I could actually believe they cost that much

The problem with spectre was that it was boring as shit. But god damn did the locations and cinematography and clothes and cars etc. look amazing

I still don't understand how Sony's response to Spectre's enormous budget growth and $200m+ drop from Skyfall was "let's throw even MORE money at it!". That $150m offer to Craig is fucking obscene.

Sony is such a poorly-ran studio.

They have a new studio head right? I wonder if he'll be able to turn things around. Sure hope he knows the first order of business is to stop greenlighting straight garbage.

They've got a good thing going with smaller movies, but it seems like anything they spend a decent amount of money on is destined for poo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom