• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World Cup 2010 7/03: Argentina vs. Germany, Paraguay vs Spain |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Raging Spaniard said:
Muller is definitely the best new player of the World Cup though, and if Germany advances to the final, World Cup MVP.

If Uruguay get there, Forlan would have to be close to MVP as well

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
chicko1983 said:
If Uruguay get there, Forlan would have to be close to MVP as well

If Uruguay makes it to the Finals they should just name Forlan Prime Minister and be done with it :lol The guy already looks like a Greek God as it is.

BTW I looooove how in every single FK, no matter where its from. Forland and ONLY Forlan is there to take it. Its like they dont even bother with pretense "why yes his leg is made of the divine spirit and he will fucking use it all day long, gracias"

CTLance

Whelp, as a German I can say that yesterdays' brutalizing of Argentina was high in entertainment value. People were going nuts.

Neuer was way more busy than I'd have liked though, Argentina put on some good pressure in the beginning of the second half (IIRC).

What comes next for the boys will certainly be an interesting pairing. Spain could go either way. Frankly, I'm a bit scared.

Still, dare I hope for it, a GER/NED game would surely be a sight to behold. This WC has potential to become legendary.

Paul is really starting to freak me out though.
All hail our cephalopod overlords! Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Ephemeris

Raging Spaniard said:
Its like they dont even bother with pretense "why yes his leg is made of the divine spirit and he will fucking use it all day long, gracias"

If he was on GAF.

That would be his tag.

$200

Banned
Before this game I thought Neuer was spelled "Never" and thought how awesome that name was for a goalkeeper...

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
SamuraiX- said:
You do realize that Netherlands are going to embarrass them on Tuesday, right?
Given that Uruguay is already in the top 4 regardless of the upcoming results, they are already heroes in the eyes, mind and heart of the people that care about them the most.

That said, the orangies are the ones to be an embarrassment after we beat them :lol :lol

Lightning said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
21578_1178107688183_1092856997_30423402_5892158_n.jpg

Koodo

Banned
I really wasn't rooting for any team in particular (although I thought it would've been funny if Uruguay and Paraguay were in the finals), but after seeing the Spanish team today... damn. UNFFFF.

Rooting for Spain now.

Blablurn

btw, this is thomas müller's first complete season as a pro. he scored 19 times in 52 matches. in the beginning of the season bayern coach louis van gaal said: "müller is always playing".

what a year for that boy.

604890468-thomas-mueller-bayern.9.jpg

Lightning

Banned
AFreak said:
but that's what everyone said Brazil would do.
Brazil faced a highly ranked and high quality opponent in the Netherlands though, the same cannot be said about Uruguay who are a pathetic team. Brazil were favored but it's not awe inspiring that they lost and they were never going to "embarrass" the Netherlands. Brazil are a good side but they are not that good...

It's not an embarrasment to be beaten by the Netherlands. It would be an embarrasment if the Dutch were to lose to Uruguay though due to the large gap in quality between the 2 sides.

SamuraiX-

AFreak said:

:lol You mean the Brazilian fanboys? I'm sure they said that Brazil would go through the tournament without losing or drawing as well.

I expected a good match between Netherlands and Brazil. I got that for the first 45 minutes, until Brazil pretty much gave up in the 2nd half.

Netherlands over Brazil was an upset, but a practical one. Uruguay over Netherlands? Well, I expect it will at least be a better game than Germany vs. Spain.

rodvik

Lightning said:
Brazil faced a highly ranked and high quality opponent in the Netherlands though, the same cannot be said about Uruguay who are a pathetic team. Brazil were favored but it's not awe inspiring that they lost and they were never going to "embarrass" the Netherlands. Brazil are a good side but they are not that good...

It's not an embarrasment to be beaten by the Netherlands. It would be an embarrasment if the Dutch were lose to Uruguay though due to the large gap in quality between the 2 sides.

Wut? really? I mean I like Uruguay much less after the Ghana game but I dont think they are a pathetic team at all.

Look at their matches so far, they have the talent and the mental strength to take the pressure of the WC. I will be rooting for the Netherlands (sorry Suarez made me a hater) but imho Uruguary has displayed every bit as much form in this wc. I think it will be a tight game.

Noshino

rodvik said:
Wut? really? I mean I like Uruguay much less after the Ghana game but I dont think they are a pathetic team at all.

Look at their matches so far, they have the talent and the mental strength to take the pressure of the WC. I will be rooting for the Netherlands (sorry Suarez made me a hater) but imho Uruguary has displayed every bit as much form in this wc. I think it will be a tight game.

Yah, outside of the asshole of Suarez, Uruguay has a great team, Forlan at the front and their defense seemed superb.

Now, I would have never put them on the top 4, but had Suarez not done that fucking shameless handball, I would have been rooting for them to take the cup home.

Sorry, but yah, its a shame that people are actually praising Suarez, fuck him

Mindlog

Exactly. People should be praising Gyan. Gyan is a damned hero.

Uruguay will be missing 3 other starters besides Suarez.

soultron

Banned
Muller played a fantastic match, but Germany wouldn't have done nearly as well without
36757_441139311390_502876390_6265279_1689497_n.jpg

Bastian was literally eating defenders for breakfast as he threaded some of the most amazing set ups I've seen this WC.

I'm also happy that Podolski is actually
A) holding the ball until he's <30m away from goal if he decides to shoot, rather than some of the bizarre 40-50m shots from the left wing we've seen.
B) starting to pass the goddamned ball when there's an unmarked teammate nearby rather than just, as previously mentioned, completely ignoring that and blasting one from 40-50m away from goal.

This was Germany's toughest match of the cup in my mind, and I think it only gets easier until we face the Orange.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Totes agree with Schweinsteiger. He needs more props.

So deadly, so much fun to watch.

People have underestimated Uruguay before.

4161372219.jpg

As for germany, the turkish dude was shockingly absent this past match. He had been on fire the previous two. Wonder what happened?

Noshino

AFreak said:

Of course,

but Melo happened

hwa6h2.jpg

jamesinclair said:
People have underestimated Uruguay before.

As for germany, the turkish dude was shockingly absent this past match. He had been on fire the previous two. Wonder what happened?

But that is said about Uruguay

every

single

time

and they always underperform. It sucks because just like Argentina and Brazil, they have the talent (Suarez aside)

Lightning

Banned
The only thing good about Uruguay is the luck of the draw they got to even make it this far. They haven't faced any of the best sides, crappy performing France aside who they couldn't even beat I might add, and yet some how these guys have gathered themselves a following that believe these guys can topple the best teams in Europe? Yeah... no I've seen nothing from these guys to even remotely give me anything to worry about.

Uruguay fans should brace themselves for a loss and then another loss in the 3rd/4th play off game and thank your lucky stars that you even achieved that because your side didn't deserve it.

Noshino

Lightning said:
The only thing good about Uruguay is the luck of the draw they got to even make it this far. They haven't faced any of the best sides, crappy performing France aside who they couldn't even beat I might add, and yet some how these guys have gathered themselves a following that believe these guys can topple the best teams in Europe? Yeah... no I've seen nothing from these guys to even remotely give me anything to worry about.

Uruguay fans should brace themselves for a loss and then another loss in the 3rd/4th play off game and thank your lucky stars that you even achieved that because your side didn't deserve it.

and... Netherlands does?...

Seriously, if you are going to bitch about the teams that Uruguay faced, you should first take a look at the ones the team you are supporting faced as well, which aside from Brazil, weren't much either.

And let's not talk about your top players, fucking Robben probably takes diving lessons twice a week.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Noshino said:
and they always underperform. It sucks because just like Argentina and Brazil, they have the talent (Suarez aside)

Theyre on the semifinals of the World Cup. I dont think you can call that underperforming this time around :p

Noshino

Raging Spaniard said:
Theyre on the semifinals of the World Cup. I dont think you can call that underperforming this time around :p

Sorry, but as much as I love the team (Suarez aside) they did slip through. You can't, with a straight face, claim that they dominated all of their matches.

Dresden

Noshino said:
Sorry, but as much as I love the team (Suarez aside) they did slip through. You can't, with a straight face, claim that they dominated all of their matches.
But they got there. That's what counts, in the end.

Raging Spaniard

Noshino said:

I'm not saying that at all, but they got to the semifinals of a fucking World Cup man, you cant take that away from them. They have OVERPERFORMED by any stretch of the imagination.

soultron

Banned
Dresden said:
This. Also, the World Cup is about unity through the game. Why trash another nation just because you're either bitter that your side's out or worried your side could get totally underdog'd by someone?

Talk about your own team, poorly if you will, but don't outright trash other teams. :]

Blablurn

soultron said:
Muller played a fantastic match, but Germany wouldn't have done nearly as well without
36757_441139311390_502876390_6265279_1689497_n.jpg

Bastian was literally eating defenders for breakfast as he threaded some of the most amazing set ups I've seen this WC.

this.

Noshino

Dresden said:

Oh, Im not saying that it doesn't count.

I think I might have my definition of "underperforming" a bit confused, and if so, I apologize, but I thought that "underperforming" wasn't necessarily connected to the end result, basically meaning that they just didn't play as at the well as they could have.

Lightning

Banned
Noshino said:

Seriously, if you are going to bitch about the teams that Uruguay faced, you should first take a look at the ones the team you are supporting faced as well, which aside from Brazil, weren't much either.

And let's not talk about your top players, fucking Robben probably takes diving lessons twice a week.
Netherlands have won all of their games and knocked out Brazil.

Why attack Robben? The situations do not come close to comparing. All I said was that Uruguay don't deserve their semi final place as imo they cheated to get there. They didn't get through by skill, they didn't get through by showing talent, they got through because they cheated and their opposition couldn't hold their nerve to make them pay.

One of the most shameful acts in the world cup. I was disgusted by it and I don't even support the African teams.

But that aside, I just don't think they are capable of toppling the Netherlands. I just don't think their squad is strong enough, talented enough, to match it with Europe's best teams.

Blablurn

Noshino said:

what the fuck? robben a diver? did you see the games where he played? it seems like every defender wants to injure him on purpose.

CassSept

Noshino said:
they have the talent (Suarez aside)
Hating is one thing, but no talent? Do you really believe your words?
He is one of the best players of this World Cup and it's due to him and Forlan that they got as far as they did.
Additionally, he is responsible for one of the best goals of the tournament.
Get real man, your hate won't change he is a great, talented player.

Salsa

Lightning said:
the same cannot be said about Uruguay who are a pathetic team.

top 4/semi finals = pathetic team

Sounds about right. Sure.

Lightning said:

Glad to see my post about stopping it with the smugness worked.

Good way to keep up the thread guys. Lets just all laugh in smugness AHAHAH MY TEAM IS BETTER.

Yagharek

Blablurn said:
what the fuck? robben a diver? did you see the games where he played? it seems like every defender wants to injure him on purpose.

Agree with this. Robben's problem wasnt diving - it was overusing the ball for the first 60 minutes of the game. He did a lot better in the last 30 minutes though (in terms of more impact and meaningful attacks).

SalsaShark said:
top 4/semi finals = pathetic team

Sounds about right. Sure.

The semi finalists have all earnt their spots. You could argue Uruguay had the 'easy' draw on paper but they have played well and you can only beat who you line up against. Mexico and Ghana arent teams to sneeze at though.

If they beat Netherlands then all doubts will be gone, but my money is on Netherlands winning a close game.

edit: and Forlan has put shame to all excuses about the jabilani ball.

Lightning said:
All I said was that Uruguay don't deserve their semi final place as imo they cheated to get there. They didn't get through by skill, they didn't get through by showing talent, they got through because they cheated and their opposition couldn't hold their nerve to make them pay.

One of the most shameful acts in the world cup. I was disgusted by it and I don't even support the African teams.

Agree, they should never have been allowed through but then France would have had to have their arses kicked because of Henry.

Was definetly the most shameful thing this world cup, followed by Englands disallowed goal against Germany.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Noshino said:
One couldn't really say that the other teams in the semis dominated all their matches either :)

Raging Spaniard said:
I'm not saying that at all, but they got to the semifinals of a fucking World Cup man, you cant take that away from them. They have OVERPERFORMED by any stretch of the imagination.
This.

soultron said:
This. Also, the World Cup is about unity through the game. Why trash another nation just because you're either bitter that your side's out or worried your side could get totally underdog'd by someone?

Talk about your own team, poorly if you will, but don't outright trash other teams. :]
And also this.

Lightning said:
Netherlands have won all of their games and knocked out Brazil.

Why attack Robben? The situations do not come close to comparing. All I said was that Uruguay don't deserve their semi final place as imo they cheated to get there. They didn't get through by skill, they didn't get through by showing talent, they got through because they cheated and their opposition couldn't hold their nerve to make them pay.

But that aside, I just don't think they are capable of toppling the Netherlands. I just don't think their squad is strong enough, talented enough, to match it with Europe's best teams.
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Salsa

Youre so right guys, Uruguay has no talent. Because they cheated! it was handball! and of course ONE GAME gets you to the semi-finals, there must have been a handball as well in every other match they played!

Yagharek

SalsaShark said:
Youre so right guys, Uruguay has no talent. Because they cheated! it was handball! and of course ONE GAME gets you to the semi-finals, there must have been a handball as well in every other match they played!

Goals denied by handball = same as goals denied/scored by bad offside calls. Once the ref makes the call, thats all there is to it. No point arguing. There will always be controversy. Sometimes its the right call, sometimes its the wrong call. Nothing you can do about it.

I personally like the resistance to technology in football. It keeps the game 'pure'. I would just like to see more 'right' calls made than bad calls.

eg bad call = the denied goal for england vs germany that crossed the line
eg good call = the penalty decisions in the 2nd half in spain vs paraguay

The call in uruguay v ghana was the right call. Not pretty way to end the game, but the right call. Its just more contentious than some decisions like goals scored from offside. Mistakes are part of the game. Cant stop it from happening.

Salsa

RandomVince said:
Goals denied by handball = same as goals denied/scored by bad offside calls. Once the ref makes the call, thats all there is to it. No point arguing. There will always be controversy. Sometimes its the right call, sometimes its the wrong call. Nothing you can do about it.

I personally like the resistance to technology in football. It keeps the game 'pure'. I would just like to see more 'right' calls made than bad calls.

eg bad call = the denied goal for england vs germany that crossed the line
eg good call = the penalty decisions in the 2nd half in spain vs paraguay

The call in uruguay v ghana was the right call. Not pretty way to end the game, but the right call. Its just more contentious than some decisions like goals scored from offside. Mistakes are part of the game. Cant stop it from happening.

Im not complaining about any bad call anymore, im tired of that since no one`s listening to me, and i couldnt care less, i know what happened, and thats enough for me.

Im just saying, for example, that this:

Lightning said:
They didn't get through by skill, they didn't get through by showing talent

Is the funniest thing ive read in a loooooooooooooong time.

Apparently one handball, in wich the consequences were given, counts for all the games and the whole world cup.

Yagharek

SalsaShark said:
Im not complaining about any bad call.

I know, I was just replying to agree with what you are saying in a round-about way.

Case in point: you could probably show examples of at least 2 or 3 world cup winners/finalists who got there by technically dubious decisions. Italy in 2006 (round of 16) and germany in 2002 (usa denied goal in quarter final) and argentina via hand of god are all prime examples of controversy.

But only a fool would say that those teams weren't "good enough" to be there.

In the end, the four semi finalists this year have all earnt their place, despite a few controversies which are inevitable.

Salsa

RandomVince said:
I know, I was just replying to agree with what you are saying in a round-about way.

Case in point: you could probably show examples of at least 2 or 3 world cup winners/finalists who got there by technically dubious decisions. Italy in 2006 (round of 16) and germany in 2002 (usa denied goal in quarter final) and argentina via hand of god are all prime examples of controversy.

But only a fool would say that those teams weren't "good enough" to be there.

In the end, the four semi finalists this year have all earnt their place, despite a few controversies which are inevitable.

Oh, sorry i didnt get that. Completely agreed.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
man those penalty calls in paraguay spain were BANANAS! made that game soo interesting :lol

really hoping Germany holland can be the final. Although I'm scared that Germany would rip on NL, their defense looked terribad against brazil in the first half and germany loves those massive counters and probably won't choke like brazil did.

Yagharek

SalsaShark said:
Oh, sorry i didnt get that. Completely agreed.

No worries.

Another point: you could argue that even germany this year, the netherlands, brazil and argentina all had not proven anything until their knockout matches. No team had really been tested in the group stages, and eventually they all come up against other top sides.

Thats why the world cup is played out as it is.

Argentina, england, brazil and portugal all got shown up as pretenders to the crown by vastly or slightly superior teams.

You might say the uruguay or spain have not really been 'tested' yet, since they have played teams that are weaker 'on paper'. But they will be tested this week and on the day of the final if they get there and if they win that they will have to earn it as would any team.

Anyway its easy for me to say this since my team (australia) rarely does much damage in a world cup :lol

:(

Salsa

RandomVince said:
No worries.

Another point: you could argue that even germany this year, the netherlands, brazil and argentina all had not proven anything until their knockout matches. No team had really been tested in the group stages, and eventually they all come up against other top sides.

Thats why the world cup is played out as it is.

Argentina, england, brazil and portugal all got shown up as pretenders to the crown by vastly or slightly superior teams.

You might say the uruguay or spain have not really been 'tested' yet, since they have played teams that are weaker 'on paper'. But they will be tested this week and on the day of the final if they get there and if they win that they will have to earn it as would any team.

Anyway its easy for me to say this since my team (australia) rarely does much damage in a world cup :lol

:(

Yeah, you could totally argue that.

Given that we played against weaker teams before, and lost. I think weve been tested, at least four ourselves.

We really are happy over here, no matter what the outcome will be, we already made history, and we are already celebrating.

Argentina could easily be who got it worst. I really think Argentina was the "not tested" team, i mean they went to play against Germany with all the confidence in the world, and got fuckin crushed. Im thinking/hoping that this wont happen to us.

Why am i saying this ? all the other teams choked, Germany made one goal right away ? Argentina choked, and lost by 4. We started 0-1 (losing) in two games, and yet, we havent lost one.

Peru

Blablurn said:

Robben is without a doubt a huge diver, and rolls around the pitch more than anyone, including all the italians.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom