• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World Cup 2010 7/03: Argentina vs. Germany, Paraguay vs Spain |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rad-

I just have to say that the ref in the Spain game was great. I wouldn't be surprised if he reffed himself to the finals with that. Made some calls that no other ref would've had balls to make (and right calls).

Yagharek

Rad- said:
I just have to say that the ref in the Spain game was great. I wouldn't be surprised if he reffed himself to the finals with that. Made some calls that no other ref would've had balls to make (and right calls).

Seconded. The calls looked a bit suspicious in the pace of normal play. Then you see the replay and it was totally the correct call.

Salazar

"The Hand of God now belongs to me. Mine is the real Hand Of God," said Suárez. "I made the best save of the tournament. Sometimes in training I play as a goalkeeper so it was worth it. There was no alternative but for me to do that and when they missed the penalty I thought 'It is a miracle and we are alive in the tournament'.

"Now we are in the semi-finals although I was very sad because no one likes to be sent off. The celebration afterwards was impressive, but very quiet because nobody gave us a chance but, with courage, we move forward."

Epic douchebag, as is anybody who defends him. 'There was no alternative' - except honour, you fuckwit.

Dresden

SalsaShark said:
Oh dear god, every page. LET IT GO ALREADY.
Why? I don't mind Uruguay being in the semis. But Suarez is a huge douche for making that statement--Hand of God? Really? :lol What a fucking egomaniac.

Salsa

Dresden said:

Because everyone asked me to let go when i was complaining about the referee, and i did. I ask you to do the same, we have moved on. All that there was to be said has been said, all that there was to discuss has been discused, its not like Salazar hadnt expressed his opinion before.

WE GET IT, YOU DIDNT LIKE THAT, no need for quoting it in every damn page. What do you wanna acomplish ? seriously deal with it people, stop bitching.

Dresden said:
I don't mind Uruguay being in the semis. But Suarez is a huge douche for making that statement--Hand of God? Really? :lol What a fucking egomaniac.

I already explained the out-of-context (with a translation in between) interview. Suarez sure is dumb for thinking that by talking and joking like that there wouldnt be any consequences, ill give you that.

I should add that i never said anything defending him, the only thing i said about Suarez hand in this whole thread is that any other player would have done the same.

megateto

Rad- said:

He didn't have the balls to call the red card on the first Spanish penalty and the red card and penalty to the goalkeeper after the Spaniards shot the second penalty.

So no, he doesn't deserve it.

124283431n3kt.jpg

englishsteak64vt.jpg

:lol :lol :lol

Blablurn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUKpW1YefRY

several months ago, maradona didn't want to attend at ther after-game press conference because he thought that thomas müller (on the left) was an random guy. he expected the german coach at the conference. he didn't know him. this is why müller left the stage.

but i guess he knows him now.

Enosh

Blablurn said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUKpW1YefRY

several months ago, maradona didn't want to attend at ther after-game press conference because he thought that thomas müller (on the left) was an random guy. he expected the german coach at the conference. he didn't know him. this is why müller left the stage.

but i guess he knows him now.
oh that was several months ago, i tought this was recent, before the arg-ger game, and was wondering the whole day how come he has a beard at the game but not at the press conference :lol

Was Mick Jagger really wearing an Argentina shirt or was that just a photoshop? I couldn't really see it yesterday and I can't find the pic anymore. :O

Roude Leiw said:
translation?

The Argentinian says "Wow, I'm as good as four years ago." "One week later" the German says "Wow, I'm even better than four years ago."

Well, at least that's what I think it means, if those 2 years of Spanish were worth anything. :eek:

Karud

Patrick Bateman said:
The Argentinian says "Wow, I'm as good as four years ago." "One week later" the German says "Wow, I'm even better than four years ago."

Well, at least that's what I think it means, if those 2 years of Spanish were worth anything. :eek:

What two years? I had three years (school) and even with the (currently switching) spanish teachers I think nobody in class got the the language. Should have taken french.

Facism

alg_worldcup_uruguay.jpg

Fucking hero, courageous acts of selflessness in taking one for the team and keeping the hope alive. What a legend, what a brilliant man. National treasure.

Karud said:
What two years? I had three years (school) and even with the (currently switching) spanish teachers I think nobody in class got the the language. Should have taken french.

I had five years of Latin before that.. :lol

SappYoda

Karud said:

Spanish and French are very similar. That doesn't make sense.

Wessiej

Facism said:
alg_worldcup_uruguay.jpg

Fucking hero, courageous acts of selflessness in taking one for the team and keeping the hope alive. What a legend, what a brilliant man. National treasure.
That is what you learn when you are playing at the best club in the world.

Karud

SappYoda said:
Spanish and French are very similar. That doesn't make sense.

I should have mentioned that french started in the 7th grade and spanish in the 9th. So the people who selected french didn't necessarily do for the A-Levels. I did. It wasn't worse than other stuff, but meh…

Also: I have the impression that french would be more useful to me (personally).

Karud said:
i had french for 9 years, still a mystery to me :lol

thy_

Patrick Bateman said:
Btw. if Germany would advance further would it make any difference to the UEFA Country Ranking 2010?

Or when's the end of those 5 years? Is there still a chance to get a 7th place for the international cups?

http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/data/method4/crank2010.html

I'm pretty sure only club games are considered for this ranking.

There is a different ranking for the national teams (to decide group headings in qualification and Euro's)

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
i'm not sure if Spain has the physicality needed to disrupt Germany's offense. Italy neutered a likewise exciting German team in 2004 through bare-knuckled defense, and Ghana dictated the tempo of the game during the first half (the only half either team really seemed like playing).

the ebb and flow battle between Schweinsteiger and Xavi/Iniesta is going to be tremendous to watch.

womfalcs3

Banned
A little off-topic:

US numbers...

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/29/sports/soccer/29sandomir.html

Through the first 52 games of the World Cup finals, ESPN averaged 2.86 million viewers per game, and Univision averaged 2.1 million viewers per game.

The US-Ghana game drew 19.4 million viewers (prime time MLB World Series level for a round of 16 game that had no championship implications.) on both ESPN and Univision. The Argentina-Mexico game drew 14.9 million viewers on both ESPN and Univision.

7.9 million people watched Germany vs. England.

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/06/2...illion-viewers-team-usa-ratings-jump-68/55272

In the group stage, the US-England game drew 17.1 million viewers. The US-Slovenia game drew 7.5 million viewers. The US-Algeria game drew 8.6 million viewers.

The NBA is barely getting these ratings in the finals in prime time.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
scorcho said:
i'm not sure if Spain has the physicality needed to disrupt Germany's offense. Italy neutered a likewise exciting German team in 2004 through bare-knuckled defense, and Ghana dictated the tempo of the game during the first half (the only half either team really seemed like playing).

the ebb and flow battle between Schweinsteiger and Xavi/Iniesta is going to be tremendous to watch.
I think the ball is going to be even a bigger issue. Germany knows how to deal with the Jabulani thanks to its long experience with it, whereas Spain struggles with anything that's not a short pass using that piece of shit. Not even Casillas can get ahold to it.

Some of Spain's biggest fuckups have been long passes that go way, way further, and you can tell they are pretty insecure about it. It has become a serious fucking problem for Spain, since ball control is everything to us.

Zapages

is there any place to re-watch Germany vs Argentina. My Father missed the match yesterday and would like to see it.

PS: ESPN 3 is not available in my area. Thanks Cablevision. :(

Karud

shas'la said:
… Deutschland uber alles!

It's a phrase of the "Lied der Deutschen", but it's commonly unused, except for some right-winged people/ parties. I you visit Germany some day, or Germans, I recommend not to use it. No offence here, just nice to know, I think.

An early critic was Friedrich Nietzsche, who called the grandiose claim in the first stanza ("Deutschland über alles") "the dumbest phrase in the world."

From wiki, don't know if true but I agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom