• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Live Arcade - Announcements and News 2011 Edition

Some new permanent price cuts:

Comic Jumper 800msp
Puzzle Quest 2 800msp
Droplitz 400msp

Also a handful of Games on Demand have gotten $10 cuts.

Question that you guys might be able to help me out with.

A friend of mine has some random DLC on his 360 S with the 4 gigs of memory. He just recently got the Borderlands Game of the Year edition, and when he puts in the disc, it says he has to have a hard drive connected. I've never messed with a 360 S so I don't know the ins and outs of that platform, but shouldn't he be able to just delete whatever DLC he has on his HD or put it on a thumb drive and play it that way? Then his 4 gigs on board will let him install the DLC for borderlands, right?

The reason I'm asking is I want to play borderlands with him, and wanted to pick up monday night combat as well, but I don't think he wants to keep deleting and re-downloading content.

jgkspsx

Picked up BC:R and will pick up Shadow Complex. (Even if the devs creep me out.) My "must buy" list shrinks as my backlog grows. Now if only Ikaruga and Super Puzzle Fighter would go on sale.

Hey, Capcom, I might even buy the rest of your rapacious Harmony of Dissonance dlc at 50%...

Nelo Ice

Banned
jgkspsx said:
Picked up BC:R and will pick up Shadow Complex. (Even if the devs creep me out.) My "must buy" list shrinks as my backlog grows. Now if only Ikaruga and Super Puzzle Fighter would go on sale.

Hey, Capcom, I might even buy the rest of your rapacious Harmony of Dissonance dlc at 50%...

seriously why does capcom refuse to let puzzle fighter go on sale?!
also ikaruga was on sale like last year i think got it for 400 pts :p

RoninChaos said:
Question that you guys might be able to help me out with.

A friend of mine has some random DLC on his 360 S with the 4 gigs of memory. He just recently got the Borderlands Game of the Year edition, and when he puts in the disc, it says he has to have a hard drive connected. I've never messed with a 360 S so I don't know the ins and outs of that platform, but shouldn't he be able to just delete whatever DLC he has on his HD or put it on a thumb drive and play it that way? Then his 4 gigs on board will let him install the DLC for borderlands, right?

The reason I'm asking is I want to play borderlands with him, and wanted to pick up monday night combat as well, but I don't think he wants to keep deleting and re-downloading content.

The 4 gig 360 actually doesn't have a hard drive, it's flash memory.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Backbreaker: Vengeance Coming This Summer to Xbox Live Arcade
http://www.pastapadre.com/2011/04/12/backbreaker-vengeance-coming-this-summer-to-xbox-live-arcade

The initial reveal of a new Backbreaker came yesterday with the first screenshot that hinted at a “Tackle Alley” concept rather than a full sequel. That idea seemed well suited to be distributed digitally as a downloadable-only game. Now NaturalMotion has confirmed that Backbreaker: Vengeance is headed to Xbox Live Arcade this summer.

There are different potential reasons why Vengeance would be released only on XBLA and not for the PS3 as the announcement made no mention of the game being made available on PSN. That could mainly be due to bandwidth charges that Sony lays on the publishers whereas Microsoft covers the costs. The 360′s user base is larger and downloadable offerings sell better on the platform. There could also be some sort of exclusivity or marketing agreements involved. NaturalMotion is a relatively small studio and they may be self-publishing this title.

Backbreaker 2: Vengeance released late last year for the iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad to great reviews and very strong sales. NaturalMotion now looks to transition the “Tackle Alley” concept to its own console-based product, which in Vengeance added various obstacles to the challenge.

daviyoung

Banned
RoninChaos said:
When he plugs in a thumb drive he gets the same error. Can you not do expansions on thumb drives?

Nope, for example the Fallout 3 GOTY Edition makes it clear on the cover that a hard drive is required.

OnPoint

Princess Skittles said:
Moon Diver, why you hurt me so?

After spending a bit of time with the PSN version, I can say that you aren't missing out too much, especially if you only have to wait a few weeks. I've sadly been letdown by it.

hitoshi

I don't know how but i always have a blast on my first multiplayer match in any new game.
This time: Clash of Heroes. I had a little lead in the first few turns, built walls on my left side but i left my right open. And i... got what i deserved, magic arrow blasted through my ranks lowering my life from 87 to 68, then more attacks came and i was at 28 and... then i went to 1. ONE HP. I didn't even notice it until later but when i saw it i started building walls like a madman on my right - and the enemy HP downgraded to 17. I had a few lucky hits, enough that one arrow would have been enough for a really REALLY lucky victory. In the end i had 3 rows of defense on the whole table and prayed like hell that no attack reaches me - and to have enough units to launch at least 2 attacks to have my magic arrow ready. It took 20 minutes (!) then done: one of my attacks landed, i launched the missile and after 40 minutes of fighting and praying, I've won my first 1:1 match. Simply AMAZING!

scaled.php

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
OnPoint said:
After spending a bit of time with the PSN version, I can say that you aren't missing out too much, especially if you only have to wait a few weeks. I've sadly been letdown by it.
That's a bummer, I think it was probably my most anticipated XBLA game so far this year.

hitoshi said:
I don't know how but i always have a blast on my first multiplayer match in any new game.
This time: Clash of Heroes. I had a little lead in the first few turns, built walls on my left side but i left my right open. And i... got what i deserved, magic arrow blasted through my ranks lowering my life from 87 to 68, then more attacks came and i was at 28 and... then i went to 1. ONE HP. I didn't even notice it until later but when i saw it i started building walls like a madman on my right - and the enemy HP downgraded to 17. I had a few lucky hits, enough that one arrow would have been enough for a really REALLY lucky victory. In the end i had 3 rows of defense on the whole table and prayed like hell that no attack reaches me - and to have enough units to launch at least 2 attacks to have my magic arrow ready. It took 20 minutes (!) then done: one of my attacks landed, i launched the missile and after 40 minutes of fighting and praying, I've won my first 1:1 match. Simply AMAZING!

scaled.php
Respect. That's a hard-earned victory :)

BigMack

RoninChaos said:
When he plugs in a thumb drive he gets the same error. Can you not do expansions on thumb drives?

Someone's already answered your question, but I just wanted to say that I LOVE your avatar. Please don't ever change it <3

randomlyrossy said:
You may have heard already but Marble Blast Ultra has been delisted. Shame to see it go, it's a great little game.

You can still get the DLC packs for it though.

Ah fuck! Really? That was on my to buy list, but I never got around it. They also recently delisted Diner Dash and Dream Chronicles. Really wish MS would at least just give us a week's warning so anyone who wants them can grab them real quick before they pull them down. That pisses me off how they do things sometimes.

BigMack said:
Ah fuck! Really? That was on my to buy list, but I never got around it. They also recently delisted Diner Dash and Dream Chronicles. Really wish MS would at least just give us a week's warning so anyone who wants them can grab them real quick before they pull them down. That pisses me off how they do things sometimes.

I've been thinking the same thing myself. Would be simple as hell to put a notice up on the dashboard letting people know about these things. There was a lot of content I would've easily snatched up if I knew it was getting delisted. At the same time I can agree on the view that you should've got it when you had the chance. But MS has to start letting us know when these things happen. Just seems fair in my view.

And I'm so on Perfect Dark. Missed it during the holiday sale and I'm not making the same mistake twice.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
So, anyone else try out Yar's Revenge?

Demo has 2 player local Co-Op available in it, and allows you to play to the middle of the first boss fight.

I was suprised that the game has a lot of default weapon options, 3 power-ups, a health-regenerating shield, and an unlocakable chargeable mega-cannon. Also, you "Lock on" attack is actually LIMITED, you have to get pickups to replenish the supply. My Panzer Dragoon-focused mindset doesn't understand this! XD

I'd probably buy this if I had the points (recent sales and good games have me spent OUT!), as it seems pretty nice. Some overly HD Text/Font is a bit annoying (quick moving words should be easy to see in passing, not something you have to FOCUS on), but I appreciate that they really seem to want this game to have a story, and history to it. In that way, it feels very well-rounded, going by the trial.

Bangai-O, Trouble Witches NEO!, This, and Strania, all within weeks of each other... XBLA really has been very awesome as of late.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
TIKGAMES REVEALS XOTIC FOR XBOX LIVE ARCADE FOR XBOX 360

San Mateo, California – April 13, 2011 – TikGames revealed Xotic today, a unique hybrid of the first-person shooter and arcade genres. Published by Valcon Games LLC, co-published by TikGames, and developed by WXP Games, Xotic is expected to come to Xbox LIVE® Arcade for the Xbox 360 ®video game and entertainment system from Microsoft this summer.

“ Xotic is an all-new twist on a genre full of likeminded games,” said Anatoly Tikhman, Founder and CEO of TikGames. “Instead of running around and shooting the same old soldiers with the same old guns, in this game players will be exploring a unique bio-organic environment while aiming to rack up millions of points and a spot at the top of the leaderboards.”

Xotic is more than just killing enemies. Players can compare their shooter skills with their friends’ on the leaderboards as they rack up chain combos by shooting targets like the life-choking Scab plants around each level, picking up Orb Essence, and, yes, blasting enemies. Balancing all of these elements while attaining the best time in each level is the key to becoming the top scorer. In their quest to become number one, players will also earn experience points that they can use to upgrade their skills and weapons and can pick up power-ups around each level.

“I think players will be surprised by the creativity and uniqueness of Xotic,” said Patrick Moynihan, Studio Director of WXP Games. “There isn’t another shooter like Xotic, with its blend of FPS action and arcade-style compulsion towards achieving ever-higher scores.”

Xotic has been rated T for Teen (Animated Blood, Violence) by the ESRB.

SAB CA said:

Demo has 2 player local Co-Op available in it, and allows you to play to the middle of the first boss fight.

I was suprised that the game has a lot of default weapon options, 3 power-ups, a health-regenerating shield, and an unlocakable chargeable mega-cannon. Also, you "Lock on" attack is actually LIMITED, you have to get pickups to replenish the supply. My Panzer Dragoon-focused mindset doesn't understand this! XD
limited how? number of shots (a la rez) or like, limited ammo?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Jack Random said:
limited how? number of shots (a la rez) or like, limited ammo?

Limited as in, you have to get pick-ups to replenish use. I believe each pickups gives you something like 6 lock-ons. Your rail-gun has to be recharge after firing, and your default gun (pulse gun) is, of course, unlimited.

The triggers/bumpers are mapped to those 3 attacks, plus LB being used for a barrel-roll dodge. Was suprised how much there was to take in, considering I was just expecting the "mash button to fire, hold to lock on!" motif...

SAB CA said:

I'd probably buy this if I had the points (recent sales and good games have me spent OUT!), as it seems pretty nice. Some overly HD Text/Font is a bit annoying (quick moving words should be easy to see in passing, not something you have to FOCUS on), but I appreciate that they really seem to want this game to have a story, and history to it. In that way, it feels very well-rounded, going by the trial.

Bangai-O, Trouble Witches NEO!, This, and Strania, all within weeks of each other... XBLA really has been very awesome as of late.

I'm on the review for it, just got a code a little while ago. Played a bit of it just now and it seems kinda cool so far. There's a nice bit of strategy to think about with all the weapons and power-ups.

It looks lovely too, the painted backgrounds are wonderful. Looking forward to checking out more.

SAB CA said:

I just tried Yar's Revenge. The dual stick aiming really threw me off at first, as I'm used to and was expecting Starfox/Panzer Dragoon controls, but this is nice once you get used to it, maybe could be an even better control scheme for a future Panzer Dragoon (wouldn't make sense for Starfox).

No trail behind the lock on projectiles seemed cheap. They could have alt least given them a short tail, but I do realize this is the Panzer Dragoon talking.

The rail gun is satisfying to use.

Graphics were decent and the character is a decent size on screen. Low poly and low res textures but it's passable.

The music lacks presence. It was low and is just an ambient sound and background rhythm, which is lame. They should have hired me. ;)

"6 unique environments". I take that as 6 stages and 6 bosses.

Great deal for 800msp.

My girlfriend is pissed that they completely changed the game from what it used to be on Atari, but I never played the first one and I LOVE on rail shooters, so I ain't even mad.

Yar's Revenge is a buy for me.

jgkspsx

Thanks for the Yar's impressions! I will try the demo soon. I'm glad to hear it's more than a Panzer Dragoon/Sin and Punishment clone.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Outland coming to PSN on April 26, XBLA on April 27
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/04/13/outland-coming-to-psn-on-april-26-xbla-on-april-27/

Outland, a vibrant 2D adventure that exudes elements of Ikaruga, N+, Tron, Super Metroid and a bunch of other things that you like, is set to launch on PlayStation Network and Xbox Live Arcade later this month. Developed by Finnish outfit Housemarque, the game will be available on Sony's platform for $10 on Tuesday, April 26, followed by the Xbox version on April 27 for 800 Microsoft Points.

moonbeam

I asked in the Vampire Smile OT but didn't get a reply...

I'm wondering if Vampire Smile can be played using an arcade stick? (I tend to get sore shoulders when using the standard Xbox controller for games that require lots of button pressing.) The demo played really well for me using a stick and the alternate button layout but in the demo you never get to use "gun" which is mapped to the right analog stick. Anyway, I suspect that the game is not stick friendly but I would be very happy to learn otherwise. Thanks.

see5harp

moonbeam said:
I asked in the Vampire Smile OT but didn't get a reply...

I'm wondering if Vampire Smile can be played using an arcade stick? (I tend to get sore shoulders when using the standard Xbox controller for games that require lots of button pressing.) The demo played really well for me using a stick and the alternate button layout but in the demo you never get to use "gun" which is mapped to the right analog stick. Anyway, I suspect that the game is not stick friendly but I would be very happy to learn otherwise. Thanks.

I don't think so because the dash moves are mapped to the second analog stick. You can certainly play it that way, but the way you air dash to close distances in that game make it seem like less than ideal with an arcade stick.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Red Bull X-Fighters World Tour Coming To XBLA
http://www.gamerbytes.com/2011/04/red_bull_xfighters_world_tour.php

Red Bull X-Fighters, the freestyle Motocross stunt competition, have been making their way to consoles recently with the release of an iPhone and PSP Minis title. Now it appears that developer Xendex are also bringing it to the Xbox Live Arcade.

A new addition to the German USK rating board has revealed Red Bull X-Fighters World Tour for the Xbox 360 and PC. We believe it's an Xbox Live Arcade title due to the fact Xendex is a developer, and has only published a few games themselves via the PlayStation Store previously.

It's been a while since Trials HD came out, and X-Fighters is far less based on puzzles and more on crazy tricks, so it'll be a pretty good addition to the Marketplace. Bet Red Bull loves it too.

Daigoro

"It's been a while since Trials HD came out, and X-Fighters is far less based on puzzles and more on crazy tricks, so it'll be a pretty good addition to the Marketplace. Bet Red Bull loves it too."

uh, yeah Ryan Langley, Trials is puzzle based. good call.

Cave announced today an April 27 release date for Nin-2 Jump, an original Xbox Live Arcade action title from Makoto Asada. The C rated title will carry a 400 Microsoft Point price.

Your 400 MS Points will get you two modes of play, an adventure mode featuring 50 stages across five worlds, and a score attack mode where you attempt to continue killing enemies until you run out of life.

As detailed earlier in the week, Cave will be donating all sales of Nin-2 Jump through June 30 for earthquake relief efforts.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/04/14/nin_2_jump_date/

That makes the upcoming schedule:
April 20: Section 8 Prejudice – 1200 MS Points
April 20: The Fancy Pants Adventures – 800 MS Points
April 20: Pinball FX2 Mars Table - 240 MS Points
April 27: Nin-2 Jump - 400 MS Points
April 27: Outland - 800 MS Points
April 27: Trouble Witches Neo - 800 MS Points
May 4: Bangai-O HD - 800 MS Points

TheOddOne

HadesGigas said:
That makes the upcoming schedule:
April 20: Section 8 Prejudice – 1200 MS Points
April 20: The Fancy Pants Adventures – 800 MS Points
April 20: Pinball FX2 Mars Table - 240 MS Points
April 27: Nin-2 Jump - 400 MS Points
April 27: Outland - 800 MS Points
April 27: Trouble Witches Neo - 800 MS Points
May 4: Bangai-O HD - 800 MS Points
Effin' great prices.

Daigoro said:
is Sega Rally due on the 27th too?

im going to have to spend like 8000 pts this month. (im good at math)

Seems maybe? I see it listed at that date on a few sites as I'm googling it, but I don't see any actual news announcing it.

Top Bottom