• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox LIVE Indie Games - The January 2011 Thread

GhaleonEB

Kid Marin said:
Watching that trailer gave me fits. Looks brutal.
Neuromancer said:
Also what do you guys think about the respawning enemies? My friend says most roguelikes don't do that so I wonder why the creator put them in.
Hate'em. I got more used to them as time went on, but if you read the thread for that month, I was bitching big time about them. Thing is, he put in a mechanic to motivate players to move quickly through levels: the lantern. The respawning enemies was not needed and I find them very frustrating.

Barryman

HadesGigas said:
I look forward to playing this sometime in the next decade.

Sorry, I guess that part of my post could've been a little blowhardy...:D

Thanks for posting that, glad you enjoyed the first game. Hopefully I'll get this game out there with plenty of time in the decade left to go.

GhaleonEB said:
Hate'em. I got more used to them as time went on, but if you read the thread for that month, I was bitching big time about them. Thing is, he put in a mechanic to motivate players to move quickly through levels: the lantern. The respawning enemies was not needed and I find them very frustrating.
Maybe in a future update he'll make it an option. I think it would have been more satisfying to be able to clear out a whole level. Maybe as a compromise if you returned to a level again, some would respawn.

Gowans

Just completed crossfire2 a bit of a disapointment after I loved the first.

It's so easy and your way overpowered with the upgraded. The first was a rewarding challenge, this one was a cake walk.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Beezy said:
Kind of ironic that NeoGAF has become a bigger source of cited journalistic content than Gaming Age recently.

I never considered the reasoning behind the aspect ratio of vertical shooters. Now that I think about it, dual analog could make for a pretty interesting Zero Gunner 2 remake.

Feep

Banned
Ek4iU.jpg

Beezy said:
Stalker! How are sales so far?
Not releasing figures, but the sales are not what they should be. That applies for the entire XBLIG channel. I've been quite the advocate for improving the channel over the years, with a few direct proposals to Microsoft last year:

- Changing the Face of XBLIG: Proposed Changes to XBLIG Dashboard (Final Draft)
http://xona.com/2010/11/15.html
https://connect.microsoft.com/site2...uality-assurance-system-based-on-user-ratings

- Improve Traffic Flow to XBLA and XBLIG: More Proposed Changes to Xbox LIVE Dashboard
http://xona.com/2010/11/17.html
https://connect.microsoft.com/site2...-demos-xblig-to-improve-traffic-flow-to-games

- Microsoft, We Need More Than 50 XBLIG Tokens!
http://xona.com/2010/12/06.html
https://connect.microsoft.com/site2...-50-xblig-tokens-for-xblig-marketing-purposes

Each of those issues has a Microsoft Connect issue (their bug/issue tracking system), that anyone can vote on. The links are inside the articles. You need a free Connect (Live ID) membership to vote.

More issues you could all vote on that I agree with:

- game-library-lacks-rating-system-difficult-to-rate-games-after-youve-played-them:
https://connect.microsoft.com/site2...fficult-to-rate-games-after-youve-played-them

- xblig-leaderboard-highscore-access:
https://connect.microsoft.com/site226/feedback/details/621605/xblig-leaderboard-highscore-access

- xblig-achievement-access:
https://connect.microsoft.com/site226/feedback/details/621602/xblig-achievement-access

- include-indie-games-in-best-of-2010-xbox-live-dashboard-promotion:
https://connect.microsoft.com/site2...in-best-of-2010-xbox-live-dashboard-promotion

Once you get into Connect, there's tons of issue to vote on and discuss, as well as the opportunity to submit your own.

Feep

Banned
Diablohead said:
I spent about 4 minutes trying to work out that logo, rather bad design if you can't read it!
You're the second person who's ever told me that, but the second person nevertheless.

(sigh) Logos are the most horrible thing in the world.

(Seriously though? Four minutes?)

Feep said:
You're the second person who's ever told me that, but the second person nevertheless.

Well I was trying to work out each letter and what angle it was, now that I know I can see it instantly but it did boggle me for ages. Maybe if I knew the game name it would have clicked earlier :p

Feep said:

I had trouble, but now I can't unsee it.

It's difficult to say it's a bad job, as I spent a lot of thought and time on the logo (maybe 30 seconds).

I don't know! :) Keep it, I say.

Feep

Banned
Diablohead said:
Well I was trying to work out each letter and what angle it was, now that I know I can see it instantly but it did boggle me for ages. Maybe if I knew the game name it would have clicked earlier :p
I think it'll be difficult to view the trailer of the game or play it without first seeing "Sequence" somewhere (YouTube title, Xbox 360 marketplace, whatever).

Still...I'll consider it.

Out of interest, do you have any big plans re: promotion/marketing to get this game noticed? It seems really professional in every other aspect, so I'm curious as to what you have planned!

Edit: I like the logo, but I think the N could look better, maybe the U should be clearer somehow too, its kinda, less stand-outy

Feep

Banned
toythatkills said:
Out of interest, do you have any big plans re: promotion/marketing to get this game noticed? It seems really professional in every other aspect, so I'm curious as to what you have planned!

Edit: I like the logo, but I think the N could look better, maybe the U should be clearer somehow too, its kinda, less stand-outy
Well, I used to work in gaming journalism, so once I finish this launch trailer here (a few days or so, I'd wager), I'm gonna spam every contact I've ever had. I'm already confirmed a Joystiq writeup on the game, so that's nice.

I also had an article on Kotaku, and a big feature in Hardcore Gamer Magazine. But the more the merrier.

Also GAF

Feep said:

I'll be the third then. Pretty terrible design all the way around if you ask me.

I'd go with something readable and also something that gives an idea of what your game is. I probably wouldn't even try it based on that logo alone (it's very pretentious, btw) and I'm actually interested in your game and have been following the development of it, but I didn't know what it was and dismissed it as more indie game garbage.

Anyway, just my opinion. Don't mean to sound harsh.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Diablohead said:
I spent about 4 minutes trying to work out that logo, rather bad design if you can't read it!
You have to tilt your head at an angle, then it becomes obvious. I think it might work better as a title logo than a promotional one because it's kind of a neat example of how changing your perspective can make everything clear. So, maybe the logo slides in and then tilts diagonally.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
SEQUENCE: Maybe if you changed the colors of the letters? Like a sequence of values, to make each one a different shade, of maybe just more onvious breaks between letters?

I think I made mention about the difficulty to read it quite a while back as well, and I think it'd also be hard to figure on a mini-box on XBL.

A shame... I actually like the little X the U and E form in the center, and I think the style would be best on a simplier word (like FUSE or something), so I hope you can figure SOMETHING out...

Alpha Squad: It failed due to a misdescription of what "language" meant on the description. They'll redubmit on the 9th, hope to have it out by the 10th-11th. Soundtrack will be available at the MAGFest gaming convention, too.

Polk

Diablohead said:
You should listen to more black metal bands :)
You'd decipher it in the seconds (or just look at the bottom of the poster, title is written there).

Intruder_qc

Neo Member
qupe1975 said:
Having played this I seriously hope it is not released yet and some things are adjusted. The game has the potential to be really addictive but at present it's just too damn frustrating.

Nope it wont be release yet... I was the big meanie on this one...

Yup I had to fail it due to no supporting the controller #2 properly, if I got the requester for selecting the storage device such as the MU I couldn't use controller #2 even though this is the one I was using to play the game. Remember code is the law!

I dunno who else report a fail, but after I did mine the game disappear from the peer review about an hour later. Several people complained in the review thread that the game was really too harsh.

Ventron

Can't wait to see your fake links for Add Some Light and SSRGFM next month :p

I did have a bit of fun with Color, though. It's a genius concept once you understand it.

Intruder_qc

Neo Member
Ventron said:
I did have a bit of fun with Color, though. It's a genius concept once you understand it.

rant

Sadly this game should have been failed also due to the buying privilege problem, luckily for the devs he ignore the issue and following reviewer simply PASS it... sigh!

Ain't fun failing game :-(, but its even more frustrating after people document the fail that nobody try to reproduce it and just put a PASS.

/rant

I think I should add the quote from Capt. Teague and the video link about "Code is the law" then hopefully people will get it ahahaha :D :lol

GhaleonEB

Another Cthulhu Saves the World update.

Cthulhu Saves the World has been out for a little over a week and the initial response has been very positive! We’ve sold over 4500 copies in the first 8 days, the average user rating in the US is 4.5/5 (same as Breath of Death VII), and we’ve gotten a number of great articles and reviews at very sites[....]

We also got a rather nice 2 page spread on Cthulhu Saves the World and the Indie Games Winter Uprising in the US February 2011 issue of Official XBox Magazine so be sure to check that out!

I’m very pleased with how the game is doing! Not only is it getting rave reviews, but it’s selling about as well as Breath of Death VII did at this stage of its life, despite being more expensive. From the look of things, the 1st quarter of 2011 will be our highest profit quarter to date – it’s quite possible that we’ll make enough money just from Cthulhu Saves the World in Q1 to support full time development in Q2.

In other news, the patch has been submitted but hasn’t passed peer review yet. I’m just about done transferring our game code to XNA 4.0 and about to start work on adding PC support. We have a big project that we’re going to be working on that should come out in the second half of the year and a smaller project that we’ll work on when we feel like a change of pace. 2011 is shaping up to be an exciting year for Zeboyd Games – stay tuned!​

Glad it's doing well. I haven't gotten that far into it yet, but what I've played has been hilarious.

Intruder_qc said:
rant

Sadly this game should have been failed also due to the buying privilege problem...
What is this?

Glad Cthulhu is doing well, I'm sure it deserves it! I bought without trialling :D

Anyone having problems running out of MP in Cthulhu? I know you can get a little back after battles, it's not not much. And there aren't that many of those white pools around.

Elixist

Feep I think that your logo is brilliant its like an alien font or something. If you want people to be able to read it immediately its not tho, its like spray paint "tagging" style you have to really pay attention to make out the letters cause it almost looks like a symbol at first glance.

Intruder_qc

Neo Member
toythatkills said:
What is this?

Glad Cthulhu is doing well, I'm sure it deserves it! I bought without trialling :D

Ohhh that was for the game Colour, someone had reported that you could buy the game in the trial mode even though you had set your Xbox LIVE account with the permission to purchase content to be blocked. As the rule from peer review this isn't allowed. The game should have been failed but other reviewer ignore it as well as the devs.

Hehehe ohhh you also bought CSTW without downloading the trial? I did too, this must have falsify the data for the conversion ratio :D :lol

Ventron

toy! Have you gotten good internet back? I can't wait to see your mini reviews again, especially your funny ones for the bad games!

Looking forward to checking out Sequence! Love the cover art.

We're putting the final wraps on our first game Doc Logic....finishing up the boss level, and tweaking a few screens. Were using XNA3.1, rushing to meet the Feb7 deadline as opposed to converting to XNA4.0....anyone else in the same boat?

I have a feeling we'll see a flood of games coming out around Feb7 as devs using XNA3.1 launch their games.

We have a PC demo of doc logic if anyone has any final gameplay suggestions before we launch.

Feep

Banned
I'm still not sure I'm going to change the logo, but I took a bit of time in Photoshop and made this (The game's name, "Sequence", also refers to DNA code) Comments?

h2q9P.jpg

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
New logo's easier to read but the old one looked much better aesthetically. In fact, the more I see the old logo the more I like it. Reminds me of the Wipeout font.

Innie Q looks weird though.

Ventron

I like that logo much better because it's more readable, but if your game is music-based then you should include something musical-themed in the logo.

To other news:

My first released XBLIG game Hyper Button is available. Yay!

http://marketplace.xbox.com/games/media/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258550767

I'd appreciate some impressions, during Peer Review I got unanimous praise which is a good sign :D

If you write for a games review website, PM me! I might have something nice to give you.
EDIT: Oh, and please rate the game! A high star rating helps more than you think!

In the meantime, you plebs can fight over this code:
P3J3R-4QV4K-BT3WH-Y9HCG-896BT

Ventron said:
I like that logo much better because it's more readable, but if your game is music-based then you should include something musical-themed in the logo.

To other news:

My first released XBLIG game Hyper Button is available. Yay!

http://marketplace.xbox.com/games/media/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258550767

I'd appreciate some impressions, during Peer Review I got unanimous praise which is a good sign :D

If you write for a games review website, PM me! I might have something nice to give you.
EDIT: Oh, and please rate the game! A high star rating helps more than you think!

In the meantime, you plebs can fight over this code:
P3J3R-4QV4K-BT3WH-Y9HCG-896BT

You have successfully redeemed a code for:

Hyper Button

It has been added to your Download Queue. If you have an additional code to redeem please enter it above.

Not gonna have a chance to play it until the afternoon, hope it's good.

Ventron

HadesGigas said:
You have successfully redeemed a code for:

Hyper Button

It has been added to your Download Queue. If you have an additional code to redeem please enter it above.

Not gonna have a chance to play it until the afternoon, hope it's good.

I hope so too, I'd hate to disappoint a GAFfer :lol

All aboard the Red Crest Studios express! Next stop, Bonded Realities!

Feep

Banned
Family Fry said:
RE: Sequence, is that THE Ronald Jenkees I spot composing the battle music?
Are these all new tracks?
Ah, sorry I missed this one.

Yeah, it's THE Ronald Jenkees. :D Nine tracks were licensed from his CDs, and one was extensively remastered by another composer for use in this game (Fast Piano Jam, heard here, without any work done on it), which has not been commercially released.

Nothing technically new, alas, but still amazing stuff.

Feep said:
I'm still not sure I'm going to change the logo, but I took a bit of time in Photoshop and made this (The game's name, "Sequence", also refers to DNA code) Comments?

http://i.imgur.com/h2q9P.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
I like this one a lot better.

Top Bottom