• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox LIVE Indie Games - The January 2011 Thread

Alpha Squad:

- Great character portraits and music.
- I like the idea of a twin stick shooter with a sort of Zelda-esque exploratory element. However, going inside buildings interrupts the game's flow and so on one playthrough I just skipped all the buildings.
- The door graphic is weird. Sometimes I'll try to exit a building and immediately get sent back inside.
- HUD elements cover up part of the room and make it hard to tell if I can interact with anything near the corner of the screen.
- You die way too quick. Enter a room with the enemies that shoot, get the shit blown out of you in seconds, and then it's game over. You don't even get another life or anything. Lame.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
I think I've found it.
The first serious turkey of 2011.

Yeah I know Avatar Zombie Girlfriend Massage games are easy targets but good lord.
Mazeoto? Holy crap it's like somebody just pissed out a turd. What the heck.

http://www.xblaratings.com/component/content/article/3620-mazeoto

Funny thing is when I saw the screenshots online I thought "wow this looks good".

Little did I know that playing the game was basically like playing a screenshot. No animation, no music, almost no noise aside from freakishly awful robot noises.

Only plus this game has going for it is enemy variety. There are a lot of different kinds of pictures of robots to shoot, each with their own ridiculous screams. There's even an alien in there.

Feep said:
1) Learn to program
2) Profit

I'm serious, man. I consider myself a writer and actor first and foremost, but XNA makes it EASY. Just do something like 999: massively story based, with some simple point-and-click puzzles to go with it. Very easy to program, and all you need is a decent artist to partner up with.
Yup, there is even the RPG Starter Kit, which doesn't involve any programming, all the game metadata is loaded at runtime from XML.

Kafel

Banned
I've just tried the game and it's the perfect cooperative casual game you can play with your friends. It takes one minute to understand how it works and where to go and then it's basically a little "capture the flag" game with charming bomb passes.

Plus at 80 points it's correctly priced. I can see myself playing this during evenings with friends, then alternate with Qoccer and so on.

Enk

makes good threads.
I see that Feep's Sequence game has already gotten a sequel before release! Super Sequence!

OnPoint said:
I just finished Astroman and put my review up. It's seriously one of the fullest adventures I've played on this service. It's seriously awesome if you're into exploratory platformers.

If you'd like you can post it in the Astroman |OT| since that thread got quickly buried. I still haven't finished this game. I have to find the last pieces of the Warp Drive but a little lost as to where to look. As much as I like the game some of the stages are a little unfriendly when it comes to backtracking. I dread having to seach through that last Nighttime level with the giant maze again.

the_dannobot said:
Yup, there is even the RPG Starter Kit, which doesn't involve any programming, all the game metadata is loaded at runtime from XML.

Hmm I've always wanted to do an RPG. I have too much ambition and zero drive though. My first game would be like Final Fantasy 1 in that it could be played normally but it could also be attempted with any variety of class combinations and any level of experience. I don't think that's something that can be done on most ready-made engines(or at least to the degree vanilla FF1 made possible).

There'd be maybe 10-15 hours to the main game but then 25-30 hours of optional stuff and about a dozen or so optional ultimate bosses. After getting past all that the level-cap would be bumped up to 65,535 and the developer's dungeon would be unlocked. All random encounters with special dark versions of the ultimate bosses, floating decapitated heads, and it would be the developer's dungeon ala Chrono Trigger so some asshole would say "Thanks for talking to me!....and...now....RESET!" and kick you back to the beginning.

I was into RPG Maker 2000 way back and was working on something. I wouldn't call it a parody so much as a completely non-sequitur attempt at an RPG. Like you'd get the airship but suddenly the mountains in the overworld became 300,000 foot-tall walls so you couldn't fly over them.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
There'd be maybe 10-15 hours to the main game but then 25-30 hours of optional stuff and about a dozen or so optional ultimate bosses. After getting past all that the level-cap would be bumped up to 65,535 and the developer's dungeon would be unlocked. All random encounters with special dark versions of the ultimate bosses, floating decapitated heads, and it would be the developer's dungeon ala Chrono Trigger so some asshole would say "Thanks for talking to me!....and...now....RESET!" and kick you back to the beginning.
There's your problem dude, you need to learn to walk before you can run. Maybe try doing a little 3 act dungeon crawl with a few side quests, that takes at most 2 hours to complete. You'll have a easier time completing a project with smaller scope. After you have done a few games like that, you'll have enough experience to make something that isn't rubbish. That's when you try to tackle the 60+ hour rpg epic.

Cheers!

Feep

Banned
Enk said:
I see that Feep's Sequence game has already gotten a sequel before release! Super Sequence!
What?

God...goddammit. That really sucks. Why play Sequence when you can play SUPER Sequence? = (

I had a lot of good press today, including a big writeup on Kotaku. Joystiq will be in a few days. To all indie devs: register with GamesPress, it's free. Type up press release. Click send. Tons of websites get it. = D

Ventron

Feep said:
What?

God...goddammit. That really sucks. Why play Sequence when you can play SUPER Sequence? = (

I had a lot of good press today, including a big writeup on Kotaku. Joystiq will be in a few days. To all indie devs: register with GamesPress, it's free. Type up press release. Click send. Tons of websites get it. = D

How did you get your press releases noticed by those sites? I've used GamesPress too but I've never managed to make it to the big sites :(

OnPoint

Enk said:

If you'd like you can post it in the Astroman |OT| since that thread got quickly buried. I still haven't finished this game. I have to find the last pieces of the Warp Drive but a little lost as to where to look. As much as I like the game some of the stages are a little unfriendly when it comes to backtracking. I dread having to seach through that last Nighttime level with the giant maze again.

I'll put the review up in the topic tomorrow so it has a better chance of not getting buried again. Thanks for the heads up.

I agree with you about the night levels, especially that last one. Did you find the object that tells you there are items hidden on the planets in the stage select screen? It made a world of difference when it came to backtracking. Without it, I might have hated this game.

Feep

Banned
Ventron said:
How did you get your press releases noticed by those sites? I've used GamesPress too but I've never managed to make it to the big sites :(
I had a friend who works in PR draft up the release to make it as professional as possible, and included some good screenshots and video to help out.

I also, uh, used to work at Joystiq. >.>

Some impressions:

Onager!
Surprised it took this long for a Angry Birds clone to surface. So yeah Angry Birds except not cute, less interesting level design, and unforgiving catapult controls. Can only increase angle. You go to far? Oh well! Made even worse by it fighting with my controller's dead zone, slight tap and it could move it a tiny bit or set it all the way to the max. Other than the aiming it's a pretty satisfactory clone.

Paper Sky
The music... dear god. It repeats the same horrible bleeps over and over. Then it stops after a few minutes, dead silence. And then it starts again.... As for the game, horizontal shooter. The graphics are pretty nice and stylized. You play as a paper airplane shooting down ufos made of construction paper I guess. Unfortunately it seems way too easy. The enemy bullets are very slow, as are most of the enemies, you can survive one hit, and are given powerups that will make it even more of a breeze. Trial time ran out for me on the second boss, an evil window fan that tries to suck you in while shooting stuff at you. Up to that point the only times I died were when I was experimenting to see what kind of damage you took. There is also a power beam you never need to use that has it's own charge meter, and an experience system I didn't figure out but seemed unimportant. With some tweaks this could be pretty good.

The Charge
Simple gameplay concept + joke song = profit. Add in some pictures of girls in bikini tops and female voice acting and you have a mega hit! In truth this game is pretty well put together, good graphics, looks to be 60fps. It all seems a bit boring though, going forward and flying through rings. Basically a rail shooter like Rez or Starfox without shooting. Add in the second half of the gameplay and I'd be interested. Could do without the song, though. Can only understand the "this is the charge" and the "will she spit/swallow" part. Everything else is British accented gibberish to me.

Cosmic Cab
If Gravitron360 and Astro Taxi mated. I'd recommend both of those over this. But they don't have avatars in them so this will probably outsell both of them combined.

Junk Fields
Informed a Enemy began move up.
We're toast if they arrivalle here.
Destroy them all at all of costs. We Not downed this place. Good Luck.

Yeah. It's a Japanese game. About mechs destroying tanks and trucks with sword beams or something. I couldn't figure it out even though it was in "English".

Distant Galaxies
Hypership On Cruise Control. Retro looking vertical shooter that just feels soooo slow. Also your bullets have a very limited range, I guess you can fix that if you find enough powerups, but the powerups are as scarce as the enemies. First level consists mostly of one enemy appearing on screen at a time that you just fly up to and shoot it in the face. Near the end of the level you might get two... And you can literally count off several parts of the stage where there's 5-10 seconds of nothing happening. Maybe it eventually gets challenging, but I'm not sticking around to find out...

Honor in Vengeance
Unskipabble painfully slow black screen with white text. Great start to this supposed "full blown voice acting". Something something Earth, Mars, resources, kill all Martians or Earthlings or something... Oh hey the game started. Can barely hear the voice "actors", can barely see the black enemy ships against the black void of space, can barely see anything in front of me because of the awful camera angle that shows me a wonderful view of things below where I am shooting. I am shooting orange balls also. I give up.

TwinStick
You know what would make a twin stick shooter fun? Changing the controls every 30 seconds and making everything painfully slow? No, that's wrong.

Block Destruction
Breakout clone. Yeah. Though I liked that one of the power down items is the red ring of death. Blacks out the screen except for the paddle/ball. Clever. Also bizarre thing... one of the tracks in the game was used in the far more interesting bricks4ever as it's title track. Is there something about this song that makes people want to break bricks??

Ventron

Feep said:
I also, uh, used to work at Joystiq. >.>

I knew it :p

The best coverage I've gotten so far for Bonded Realities is RPGamer, which is still fantastic mind you, but it'd be nice to break the big guys with Kotaku or Joystiq...

Speaking of Bonded Realities, it's getting closer.

snneir.png

That's one of the last things I've implemented in the game, the home of the extra-content boss. Should be a good one. I'm still hoping to get it out this month and I'm praying my eyes out that I'll win the Gold award.

Incidentally that pic's tinyurl address is "snneir". Don't sneer at my game you fucking smug hosting site.

One last thing, you can still buy my first game Hyper Button: http://marketplace.xbox.com/games/media/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258550767
Or if you don't want to buy it, redeem this code instead.
B4F8D-VJD7Q-JKFY9-V23HC-8KH6D
(and if you get the code, please post what you think in this thread)

OnPoint

PepsimanVsJoe said:
http://xblaratings.com/component/content/article/54-action-a-adventure/3620-mazeoto

Oh for God's sake.
I like writing for xblaratings but when I get insulted like this I wonder why I even bother.

Eh, that's the internet for you man. People love speaking their mind when it isn't attached to their public persona. You should see the comments people made when I wrote a piece on how Activision should handle things if they decided to charge for CoD multiplayer -- it was a laugh riot. So long as you're honest and well written who cares what these people think?

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Good call on Astroman, guys. Absolutely loving it, it's rare enough for me to play an Indie game long enough for the "trial over" message to pop up, let alone pay whatever they're asking without thinking :p

OnPoint said:
Eh, that's the internet for you man. People love speaking their mind when it isn't attached to their public persona. You should see the comments people made when I wrote a piece on how Activision should handle things if they decided to charge for CoD multiplayer -- it was a laugh riot. So long as you're honest and well written who cares what these people think?
I actually find the whole grass-roots aspect entertaining. Whenever I write a negative review I either get the developer or friends of the developer giving me dislikes and writing their own reviews where they say I'm full of shit.

At one point not only did I get a dislike for one of my more current reviews I also got a dislike for every single one of the reviews I wrote in the past.

Bebpo

Banned
Tried Astroman but wasn't feeling it as much as I thought I would. I love exploration/metroid games like Knytt and most metroidvanias, but I dunno, it just wasn't very engaging.

Are there new abilities you get as you progress? Do you ever open a MAP? Lack of map is kind of a game-breaker in metroid-ish games for me because I get lost really easily :( It was the only thing I really hated about the Knytt games.

Also tried Vorpal and it was actually kind of solid. I thought it was a better shmup fighter than Senko no Ronde. Liked the patterns here more. For a $1 it seems like a good game.

Finally, tried out Junk Fields and wow, not a bad armored core 1 clone. Obviously it's super super janky like every damn mech game out of Japan and your starting equipment sucks, but it's kind of neat and I can see potential for it to be fun when you get better parts. At the start you run out of boost way too fast. Also extra points for the amazing google translator engrish translation job. PS. If you start it and wonder why you have no weapons and only a sword slash, you need to equip weapons before your sortie. The default mech comes with nothing equipped lol

OnPoint

Astroman does unlock new abilities, but nothing super crazy. Just stuff that affects your jump. There's no map so it may not be for you, sadly.

I reviewed Vorpal a few days back and loved that one as well. It's an incredibly solid game -- hard mode is a total bitch haha Totally worth a dollar.

OnPoint

There's a lot more to it than just moving to the right, but it's pretty hard to actually get lost since the design is all fairly distinct and the nine levels are entirely seperate from each other. I can see where backtracking to find hidden, required items would be an annoyance for some people, though.

Beach Bubbles is a pretty simple game where you move around collecting balls while avoiding smaller, bouncing balls. Plays out sort of like Jezzball or Qix in a way, but not in enough of a way for my liking. The trial levels are very easy. It probably gets more difficult but you only get to play the first levels for each stage because...

screen3.jpg

...Beating the levels unlocks parts of pictures...

screen1.jpg

Yeah.

The game is $3 and labeled "chapter 1", so I guess we can expect some more of this.

SmallCaveGames

Neo Member
Alpha Squad - the graphical polish is about as good as you can find on the platform. And the overthetop style is cool IMO. I enjoyed what I played, but agree with some of the crits. There are some design flaws that seems minor but end up making it fall a little flat.

EDIT: ALSO HUGE PROPS FOR 4 PLAYER CO-OP. This is a pretty massive undertaking so as a dev my hat is off to them on that.

Astroman was right up my alley. Of course my game is an explorary platformer too so I guess that shows. At first the controls felt a little off to me, but I eventually got in the groove.

SmallCaveGames said:
Alpha Squad - the graphical polish is about as good as you can find on the platform. And the overthetop style is cool IMO. I enjoyed what I played, but agree with some of the crits. There are some design flaws that seems minor but end up making it fall a little flat.

Astroman was right up my alley. Of course my game is an explorary platformer too so I guess that shows. At first the controls felt a little off to me, but I eventually got in the groove.

I bought (and finished) your game, Ophidian Wars: Opacs Journey. Really dug it, one of the best on the service, imo. Really polished, great graphics and sound, the writing and story were even pretty good. I actually felt bad for only paying a buck for it.

Shame that it doesn't or hasn't seemed to get as much attention as other titles have.

Are you working on anything else at the moment?

SmallCaveGames

Neo Member
LocoMrPollock said:
I bought (and finished) your game, Ophidian Wars: Opacs Journey. Really dug it, one of the best on the service, imo. Really polished, great graphics and sound, the writing and story were even pretty good. I actually felt bad for only paying a buck for it.

Shame that it doesn't or hasn't seemed to get as much attention as other titles have.

Are you working on anything else at the moment?

Thanks a ton man - appreciate that. It was on the experimental side so I wasn't expecting too much in the way of sales, but we actually have done okay (just over 1500 now) and there's profit, so that's saying something :).

We also "cut our teeth" on that project and so we're going big on the next one. I don't want to spam the thread, but you can check out what I mean by that on the dev blog. It's a fully original 3D action RPG. We're well on our way, but we backpeddled to upgrade the terrain engine from 2D-plane-with-3D-objects to full 3D terrain. We have that working now, so I should have a big update soon on the blog.

This next chapter (Ophidian Wars: Legend of Kilflame) is a sequel, and will explain what happens after Opac reaches the surface and encounters the new protagonist, Maya. With full dialogue and what we're calling an "internal monolgue system, I get the chance to really flush out the story and do some character development that I've been itching to do.

/pitch :)

龍炎高校伝説 (The Legend of the Dragonflame High School), 80msp. Think River City Ransom or Scott Pilgrim. Brawling with stat upgrades, purchasable moves, swinging/throwing/sliding weapons... Seems like you start off really weak (moreso than in Scott Pilgrim), using the book store and hamburger shop is pretty much required to not get owned a couple screens into the game. Gonna have to play it some more to see how it feels once you're properly upgraded, it feels a bit off compared to RCR/Pilgrim. The game actually has an English option, which is good because there's some dialogue that happens during gameplay River City Ransom style. It's all very horribly translated Engrish, which probably makes it better.

Ventron

Bonded Realities is in peer review, which is the last stage before getting onto market.

If anyone else in this thread is an XNA premium member, I would appreciate your help.

Feep

Banned
(sigh) I'm quite aware my game is in no way, shape, or form meant for the gaming masses, but it's still depressing to see a bunch of Black Ops-playing idiots comment that your game looks "gay" and "needs more zombies".

Man, this being a developer stuff is hard.

Edit: For political correctness.

With the economic situation being what it is, we all have to tighten our belts. Myself, I have to cut down on games so now I only buy the ones that are about straight zombies.

Sorry ;)

besiktas1

Feep said:
(sigh) I'm quite aware my game is in no way, shape, or form meant for the gaming masses, but it's still depressing to see a bunch of Black Ops-playing retards comment that your game looks "gay" and "needs more zombies".

Maybe because I have a downs member in the family, but I really do hate the word "retart" :(

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
besiktas1 said:
Maybe because I have a downs member in the family, but I really do hate the word "retart" :(
That's a whole other topic, but to be fair, I have never heard anyone use that word to describe someone with down syndrome.

To make up for the derail, I'll mention that Bad Golf is actually pretty good. It was made with the Farseer Physics Engine. They Came From the Ground is another great physics based multiplayer sports game, only volleyball instead of golf.

GhaleonEB

So the developer of Cthulhu Saves the World announced a fundraiser to pay for a port to PC and to add extra content to it (and then patch that content in for free to the XBLIG version). Since the game came out late in December, they only get two days of sales from Microsoft until April, as MS pays royalties quarterly, and they need to branch out to PC in addition to XBLIG to stabilize and expand income to support full-time development. So they asked the community for bridge funds, essentially.

The goal was $3,000 raised in 30 days. They've hit $3600 in two. I'll be tossing a few their way tonight.

Made me a little warm and fuzzy inside.

GhaleonEB said:
So the developer of Cthulhu Saves the World announced a fundraiser to pay for a port to PC and to add extra content to it (and then patch that content in for free to the XBLIG version). Since the game came out late in December, they only get two days of sales from Microsoft until April, as MS pays royalties quarterly, and they need to branch out to PC in addition to XBLIG to stabilize and expand income to support full-time development. So they asked the community for bridge funds, essentially.

The goal was $3,000 raised in 30 days. They've hit $3600 in two. I'll be tossing a few their way tonight.

Made me a little warm and fuzzy inside.

Wow, that's an average of about $55 per donation.

Squid is an interesting twist on the Geometry Wars Pacifism-type game. Instead of luring a large amount of enemies into clumps to explode them, there's a small amount of enemies that shoot homing bullets at you, which you need to outrun and redirect at enemies. Pretty good concept I think, but the game seems way too easy since it's not one hit and you're dead (with health restoring items on top of that). And it never seems to get quite busy enough, I probably could last the whole trial without getting hit at all if it mattered enough to do so. If it were tweaked to be more dangerous and hectic I'd probably buy it. Also wish the graphics had more of their own identity than just straight up GeoWars-cloning.

Ventron

Feep said:
(sigh) I'm quite aware my game is in no way, shape, or form meant for the gaming masses, but it's still depressing to see a bunch of Black Ops-playing idiots comment that your game looks "gay" and "needs more zombies".

Edit: For political correctness.

What can you do? As another developer once said, "cry yourself to sleep".
The Bonded Realities trailer on GameTrailers is rated less than 5/10. That and the comments did hurt at first, so I understand. Everyone in this business has an ego, so it will be bruised occasionally. If the game does well, then he who laughs last...

Top Bottom