• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X Price Won’t Be Revealed During The July Event

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I don't see any of them being more than $500 even if they have to eat the cost. Sony has already went on record as saying they understand price is important. If they were going to launch at a high price I think they would have already announced it by now to get the negative press out the way.

They are both playing chicken because they both plan to lose money but they are hesitant on how much. If you start too low you shoot yourself in the foot.

I believe that Sony wants the vast majority if not everyone to buy the digital console and the best way to do that isn't by making it more reasonable, it's by making the disc edition simply too expensive.

PlayStation 5 reportedly costs $450 to manufacture before packaging, shipping and distribution. Even taking away $30 for the 4K Blu Ray drive, I don't see Sony taking a loss to sell the digital console at $400. I don't believe that $450/$550 is going to happen. It will either be $400/$500 or $500/$600. I'm simply going with $500/$600.

THE:MILKMAN

I believe that Sony wants the vast majority if not everyone to buy the digital console and the best way to do that isn't by making it more reasonable, it's by making the disc edition simply too expensive.

PlayStation 5 reportedly costs $450 to manufacture before packaging, shipping and distribution. Even taking away $30 for the 4K Blu Ray drive, I don't see Sony taking a loss to sell the digital console at $400. I don't believe that $450/$550 is going to happen. It will either be $400/$500 or $500/$600. I'm simply going with $500/$600.

That $450 BOM came from Bloomberg right? And honestly I can't really take them too seriously when they also say the PS5 cooling system is unusually expensive at a few dollars instead of under a dollar or the RAM/SSD combo costing $250 for both consoles. Completely contradictory right there! Which is pretty normal from what I've seen of BOM breakdowns over the years.

Also I would say its a terrible business plan to overprice the disc addition to try and force the masses (that prefer physical media, BC and used games/sharing) to buy the DE.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
That $450 BOM came from Bloomberg right? And honestly I can't really take them too seriously when they also say the PS5 cooling system is unusually expensive at a few dollars instead of under a dollar or the RAM/SSD combo costing $250 for both consoles. Completely contradictory right there! Which is pretty normal from what I've seen of BOM breakdowns over the years.

Also I would say its a terrible business plan to overprice the disc addition to try and force the masses (that prefer physical media, BC and used games/sharing) to buy the DE.

I think it was Bloomberg but not 100% sure. Regardless, I do believe that the SSD and cooling system in the PS5 was very expensive. Sony would piss off fans if PS5 Disc Edition is $600 but at the same time, I don't see those fans jumping ship or anything and they would still buy the Disc Edition or perhaps choose to finally go all digital. Either way, Sony wouldn't lose anything.

THE:MILKMAN

I think it was Bloomberg but not 100% sure. Regardless, I do believe that the SSD and cooling system in the PS5 was very expensive. Sony would piss off fans if PS5 Disc Edition is $600 but at the same time, I don't see those fans jumping ship or anything and they would still buy the Disc Edition or perhaps choose to finally go all digital. Either way, Sony wouldn't lose anything.

My point was the estimates of RAM/SSD being $250 is too high and the cooling system being 'a few dollars' is far too low. Between $10 and $25 is much more likely depending on how 'lavish' Sony have been. For reference IHS had the PS3's lavish cooling system estimated at $23 back in 2006.

bitbydeath

Theirs a good chance the S model is $399 IMO. X1X currently costs $399 and is lacking the SSD, more powerful CPU, more powerful GPU and a lot of the other modifications.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Lack of pricing for both is scaring me, it makes me worried they are both $599. (549 digital). This is too high.......

Needs to be $499 or less....

Theirs a good chance the S model is $399 IMO. X1X currently costs $399 and is lacking the SSD, more powerful CPU, more powerful GPU and a lot of the other modifications.

Nah, series S is being produced on a smaller node, so even though it is more powerful the APU itself will be much smaller and cheaper to produce. Also the X1X often goes on sale for $299.

rob305

399 Series S is dead on arrival unless the PS5 and Series X cost 599

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Nah, series S is being produced on a smaller node, so even though it is more powerful the APU itself will be much smaller and cheaper to produce. Also the X1X often goes on sale for $299.

I got mine for $299 with a few free games and some amount of Game Pass, yes.

Also to add to the chorus I am pretty sure that at this point the build cost of the new consoles are going to be relatively cheap compared to what it cost Sony and Microsoft at the start of this gen. Much of the tech is aged at this point and factories probably already produce other goods using much of the same parts. When this gen started they both took on pretty radical, for the time, changes.

bitbydeath

X1X is likely losing money while on sale to move stock for next-gen otherwise that’d be the price all the time. Also being produced on a smaller node won’t make up the difference considering all the parts I mentioned would still be more expensive.

The SSD alone would be at least $50 more compared to a HDD, if not more expensive.

quest

Not Banned from OT
It won't be the point of lockheart is to replace the xbox one in the gamespass eco system over 12-24 months. To do that it needs to be 299.99 or less when casuals begin to purchase systems. The lockheart won't have a big premium apu 16 or 20 active Cu vs 54 or build quality of the one x or series x. I am also guessing the SSD will be only .5 tb to cut costs with ram chip reduction and bus size reduction cutting cost. It also should be easy to cool with a standard cooler like the regular xbox one.

Sony

Nintendo
It makes sense for Microsoft to wait after Sony announces their prices. In general, going second and being closer to launch is a better move because you'll be more relevant in the headlines. There is basically one win scenario for Microsoft:

Scenario 1:
Microsoft goes first, Sony goes second - Series X is Cheaper. PlayStation will steal all the attention from Xbox because they go second and because PlayStation is a bigger brand. That's a lose for Microsoft even though Xbox is cheaper.

Scenario 2:
Microsoft goes first, Sony goes second - PS5 is Cheaper. PlayStation being a bigger brand, getting headline attention due to being second ánd being cheaper? That's a lose for Microsoft.

Scenario 3:
Sony goes first, Microsoft goes second - PS5 is Cheaper. PlayStation being a bigger brand, getting headline attention due to due to it being cheaper? That's a lose for Microsoft.

Scenario 4:
Sony goes first, Microsoft goes second - Series X is Cheaper. Being second and closer to launch gives Microsoft headline/ news attention/ more relevancy, where there can be expressed that Series X is more powerful and cheaper. That's a win for Microsoft.

Last edited:

HeresJohnny

They need to get the price out there and let the public acclimate to it and plan for it. Everyone knows they’re both going to be expensive; dropping the price on everyone a couple months before launch will hurt sales.

This, along with $70 games and you’re giving people reasons to wait... the absolute last thing you want to do when launching new hardware.

Last edited:
I think with the two distinctly different consoles and likely multiple new ways to purchase them like bundles with Game Pass contracts etc. Microsoft is going to need an event that has a lot of time dedicated to explaining how all that is going to work. The August event is perfect for that.

This July event is there to show nothing but games and build the hype so that you want to know the price because you're gonna want the new console.

I am personally expecting MS to find some kind of pricing plan that lets people get the new consoles with little or no initial out of pocket fees. Its going to be a game changer. Can't wait.

sinseers

It is fascinating to watch develop. One of the only interesting things in the lead up to release right now to be honest.

I will go out on a limb and suggest these consoles might be cheaper than many think and talk of $549 or even the panic inducing $599 is frankly crazy talk. If either even get close to this pricing they will be laughed at and especially in this current economic climate. I know I wouldn't mind waiting a short while until they clear their heads and cut the pricing. Which they will have to do.
I'm not even going to begin to guess this time around. It is something to watch this thing play out though like you said.

martino

It makes sense for Microsoft to wait after Sony announces their prices. In general, going second and being closer to launch is a better move because you'll be more relevant in the headlines. There is basically one win scenario for Microsoft:

Scenario 1:
Microsoft goes first, Sony goes second - Series X is Cheaper. PlayStation will steal all the attention from Xbox because they go second and because PlayStation is a bigger brand. That's a lose for Microsoft even though Xbox is cheaper.

Scenario 2:
Microsoft goes first, Sony goes second - PS5 is Cheaper. PlayStation being a bigger brand, getting headline attention due to being second ánd being cheaper? That's a lose for Microsoft.

Scenario 3:
Sony goes first, Microsoft goes second - PS5 is Cheaper. PlayStation being a bigger brand, getting headline attention due to due to it being cheaper? That's a lose for Microsoft.

Scenario 4:
Sony goes first, Microsoft goes second - Series X is Cheaper. Being second and closer to launch gives Microsoft headline/ news attention/ more relevancy, where there can be expressed that Series X is more powerful and cheaper. That's a win for Microsoft.
giphy.gif

quest

Not Banned from OT

Scenario 1:

Scenario 2:

Scenario 3:

Scenario 4:
Sony already knows what it will charge Microsoft won't change that. They are in the drivera seat. They are making Microsoft wait so they have less time for pre orders and ad campaigns ect. It is smart short of 599.99 or more Sony has this with ease and they know that.

Sony already knows what it will charge Microsoft won't change that. They are in the drivera seat. They are making Microsoft wait so they have less time for pre orders and ad campaigns ect. It is smart short of 599.99 or more Sony has this with ease and they know that.
MS has much more wiggle room with pricing and MS has said "They will not be beat on Price" Interesting to see how this plays out.

quest

Not Banned from OT
MS has much more wiggle room with pricing and MS has said "They will not be beat on Price" Interesting to see how this plays out.
Microsoft can be 50-!00 cheaper and still lose badly. Sure they would gain some ground in the US but the in east and mainland EU Sony could include a poop bag in the box at 100 usd more and still outsell Microsoft 3-1. They just can't make up that deficit because of that Sony firewall and Sony knows this. Sony has the ultimate mindshare and a juggernaut of first party studios. It sent Nintendo to mobile only.

Microsoft can be 50-!00 cheaper and still lose badly. Sure they would gain some ground in the US but the in east and mainland EU Sony could include a poop bag in the box at 100 usd more and still outsell Microsoft 3-1. They just can't make up that deficit because of that Sony firewall and Sony knows this. Sony has the ultimate mindshare and a juggernaut of first party studios. It sent Nintendo to mobile only.
Thats a testament to the Sony fan base I would say.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Thats a testament to the Sony fan base I would say.
Depends Sony treated customers like crap to start the PS3 generation. The good games and fixes to the multiplatform games took years. Those customers in the mainland EU and the east happily ate shit sandwiches. The only reason Sony changed was poor sales in the US and UK forced them to. If not for those disgruntled customers arrogant Sony would still be a thing. Blind loyalty is not always a good thing.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member

Scenario 1:

Scenario 2:

Scenario 3:

Scenario 4:
Oh so Sony should just wait and they win then whether they're cheaper or more?

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Depends Sony treated customers like crap to start the PS3 generation. The good games and fixes to the multiplatform games took years. Those customers in the mainland EU and the east happily ate shit sandwiches. The only reason Sony changed was poor sales in the US and UK forced them to. If not for those disgruntled customers arrogant Sony would still be a thing. Blind loyalty is not always a good thing.
But Sony lost billions just to get their customers a super powerful CPU and Blu-ray machine. They can't lose hundreds on each console and be screwing over consumers.

wardener89

Neo Member
If Xbox Series X will not have its pricing announced in July, then should we expect same from Sony about their PS5 pricing point on July 13th?.:pie_worried: OR it looks like that Microsoft and Sony are just playing tug-of-war hoping whoever announces it first will give benefit to their competitor for adjusting pricing for consumers. THAT SHOULD NEVER HAPPEN AT THIS POINT! Because we are almost 4 MONTHS AWAY till next gen console launches (maybe less if it might launch late October). We need to know pricing right now so we could start saving up ASAP!:messenger_angry: I also prefer to trade in my old PS4 Pro towards PS5 for some savings and get new PS5 games at launch as well!😰....WHATEVER NEEDS TO HAPPEN IT HAS TO HAPPEN IN NEXT FEW WEEKS!

Top Bottom