• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YESSSS x2! AVATAR trailer #2 is NOW LIVE!!!! (mark ALL spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

StuBurns

Banned
Zenith said:
Anyone who's watched a few movies could tell they're the good guys. Just look at the cliched "in touch with nature" crap. We know the hero joins their side. They're the underdogs. Even if they do a twist at the end that they were secretly evil all along, it's only a twist because everything before it has indicated they were good.
I would have assumed they were anyway, from the preview it's certainly fairly clear they appear to be, however my point was (until someone said the script is online) that we didn't know for a fact they were. Like the kissing complaint, to make an assumption, then get angry at your own assumption seems illogical to me.

I think the Na'vi design is just hated by a lot of people, and that's fair enough, if you can't get passed it, you probably won't enjoy the movie. I thought they were fine, and I brought it more than with any imaginary alien race talking before. Maybe because they're so human. I said we haven't seen them kiss, but it wouldn't surprise me, or annoy me in anyway if they do. They certainly socialize in a very human way in the preview. I don't think I would like to see a movie of aliens looking like they do in Alien talking and being friendly. Though it's not true the other way around, I think I'd be fine with them looking nice and being evil.

MUCH-ANTICIPATED FIRST-LOOK AT THE EPIC ADVENTURE FROM
“TITANIC” DIRECTOR JAMES CAMERON NETS OVER 4 MILLION STREAMS, SHATTERING PREVIOUS RECORD OF 1.7 MILLION

LOS ANGELES, (August 23, 2009) – Twentieth Century Fox announced today that the AVATAR teaser trailer has become the most-viewed trailer ever on the popular iTunes Movies Trailer section of apple.com, which Thursday hosted the long-awaited public first look at writer-director James Cameron’s motion picture epic. The teaser registered over four million streams in its first day on the site, shattering the previous record of 1.7 million.

pretty crazy

Jostifer

thenight11 said:
“TITANIC” DIRECTOR JAMES CAMERON NETS OVER 4 MILLION STREAMS, SHATTERING PREVIOUS RECORD OF 1.7 MILLION

LOS ANGELES, (August 23, 2009) – Twentieth Century Fox announced today that the AVATAR teaser trailer has become the most-viewed trailer ever on the popular iTunes Movies Trailer section of apple.com, which Thursday hosted the long-awaited public first look at writer-director James Cameron’s motion picture epic. The teaser registered over four million streams in its first day on the site, shattering the previous record of 1.7 million.

pretty crazy

thenight11 said:

pretty crazy

Wow. Well there is some moderately good news. At least the geeks will be out in droves.

http://livenews.com.au/entertainment/avatar-why-james-cameron-will-change-filmagain/2009/8/24/217153
Jesse Perez

I have to admit, when I enthusiastically popped open Apple trailers to take a look at the first glimpses of James Cameron’s upcoming digital epic, Avatar, after seeing the clip, I was more than under-whelmed.

On a 19 inch computer screen, presented in an even smaller window, Avatar looks like the kind of intro that would open up a sci-fi fantasy computer game – an eye candy mix between Fern Gully and Attack Of The Clones.

In fact, the computer-game look and feel was so convincing, I almost went to touch the arrow keys and mouse so I could get ready move the little blue warriors around the environment to hack and slash at the growling beasties.

It certainly didn’t look like the kind of film that would have a $US237 million budget – and certainly didn’t look like work from the man who brought us the Terminator franchise, Aliens, and lets not forget the highest grossing film of all time, Titanic.

So, armed with my recently deflated interest in Cameron’s work, I entered Sydney’s IMAX theatre to check out a series of preview clips from the upcoming film - and I wasn’t expecting much.

We were introduced on-screen by Cameron himself, who urged us to pop on the 3D glasses and see him in full depth.

When those glasses went on, that’s when it all made sense.

Even in the short introduction, Cameron was sitting in the room. The room was real. He was real. It was unsettling at first, but soon the eyes get used to this new way of seeing film, and the view becomes comfortable.

Then, as the sequence of clips played out, it was apparent that Cameron was indeed the genius we have all appreciated, and that again, the world would have to catch up to his vision.

This film is true 3D – not the kind of 3D we have experienced in the past, which essentially consists of 2D presentation with a couple of 3D surprises thrown in for good measure. This is a different world all together.

Cameron’s Avatar extends our initial relationship with celluloid, and features environments which are vibrant and rich in depth, the characters have true placement in the 3D setting and there is a real sense of being inside the picture, not just passively observing.

The computer generated imagery - which in general is a contentious issue for many people - is charged with a fresh potency, and in 3D, takes on a naturalism that has been lacking in many CG films previously.

It’s a bold statement, but I have no doubt the overall presentation of Avatar will completely revolutionize the way we see film.

It’s clear where the $237 million went – the techniques and technology used to create this astonishing digital world are beyond anything comparable. In fact, Cameron sat on the film for 14 years before the technology was advanced enough to begin work.

The only comparison that can be made is that Cameron’s new vision equals the impact revolutionary film techniques used in Jurrasic Park, Terminator 2 and The Matrix had on film-making.

Each of these films contained a great leap forward in terms of digital technology – but Avatar is a far more potent beast.

From what I have seen, this film seems to be less about digital tricks, and more about completely redefining the medium - akin to the switch from silent to sound, or black and white to colour.

Those who were lucky enough to see glimpses of Avatar in the way it was meant to be seen, on the big screen in 3D, were still mystified as to what was actually happening in the film – no plot details or explanations were given.

So despite this brilliant technical development in film, the true quality of the story, cast and direction remains to be seen – although the brief glimpses of Sam Worthington and Sigourney Weaver's characters gave an indication that there were some solid performances in store.

However, the buzz on the web shows that there is faith in Cameron’s ability to develop good characters and story – his Terminator and Aliens films have some of the finest plots and characters in sci-fi/action film history, and there is confidence he can deliver the goods again.

But clearly, at this stage in the game, it’s all an exercise to showcase the groundbreaking technology, and get the word out there that things are all about to change – and it will all come from the hand of Cameron.

You guys didn't tell me the intro from Cameron was in 3D! Fuck I knew I should have gone! I could have been closer than ever! :lol

StuBurns

Banned
I actually thought his intro was the least effective 3D. It was the only point I took the glasses off for a second to see what it looked like without them on too.

When I saw it come on I had a flash that it'd be a Ubisoft style ten minute monologue, but thankfully not.

Shawsie64

Banned
stuburns said:
I actually thought his intro was the least effective 3D. It was the only point I took the glasses off for a second to see what it looked like without them on too.

When I saw it come on I had a flash that it'd be a Ubisoft style ten minute monologue, but thankfully not.

Yeah i agree with you on that point. Though it was a good min to get used to the 3D i suppose..

-PXG-

I saw the trailer when I sent to see Inglourious Basterds (which was amazing) on Friday. Why is everyone all over this movie's nuts? I looks awful to me. Some care to explain?

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
-PXG- said:
I saw the trailer when I sent to see Inglourious Basterds (which was amazing) on Friday. Why is everyone all over this movie's nuts? I looks awful to me. Some care to explain?
15 minutes of footage was screened in IMAX and digital 3D cinemas on Friday. Apparently seeing it on the big screen is really, really impressive.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Scullibundo said:
You guys didn't tell me the intro from Cameron was in 3D! Fuck I knew I should have gone! I could have been closer than ever! :lol

i touched him! for reals. he was slightly bristly!

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Meus Renaissance said:
Someone else said on another forum that watching the trailer gives you the feeling that it's the 'white man' oppressing the indigenous population
They are right.

StuBurns

Banned
Meus Renaissance said:
Someone else said on another forum that watching the trailer gives you the feeling that it's the 'white man' oppressing the indigenous population
I think it's more analogous to Britain and the States invading a foreign country for oil.

-PXG- said:
jamescameron.jpg

stuburns said:
I think it's more analogous to Britain and the States invading a foreign country for oil.

In what way? I think regardless of the actual story it's clear the most distinctive aspect of the movie is the appearance of the Na'vi. This is how the audience will separate the two

StuBurns

Banned
Meus Renaissance said:
In what way? I think regardless of the actual story it's clear the most distinctive aspect of the movie is the appearance of the Na'vi. This is how the audience will separate the two
The basic story is
humans are going to war with the people of Pandora because they have a heavy dependency on a material called 'unattaium' or some such stupid word, and Pandora is rich of it.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
I'm so torn on whether or not I should see this movie 2D or 3D opening day. I have not really been too impressed with 3D in the past. It was a fun experience but slightly distracting overall... I read a few pages back that there are different types of 3D that certain theaters support. Is there a superior 3D tech that I should research to see if my IMAX has that might help me decide if I should go with that or stick with 2D?

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
XMonkey said:
A little sensationalistic in the description of the Cameron intro. You didn't feel like you were in the room at all. It was literally 2 planes: the flat wall behind him, and Cameron. Wasn't mindblowing or anything.
yeah, his description was totally over the top. and i thought my imperssions were exciteable :lol

UK Gafers,

Odeon cinemas over here use RealD 3D tech, sweet :)

Anyone seen Final Destination 4 yet? Think that might have to be my first 3D movie after Nightmare on Elm Street with the red and green specs :D

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
stuburns said:
So much for the 'no one knows what it is' bullshit. Good news.

I still think it's true, though. While there obviously are a lot of people (i.e. nerds) who know of it, the movie is far from known in general, I'd say. Although that's probably about to change during the next few months when the movie will generate more talk, if nothing else then because of the trailer and people now having something to talk about at least. But as it is now I can say that only a couple of my friends have heard about the movie but no one seem to know much at all about it--whether we're talking story, release date or anything, really.

And regarding the 3D I'm still not convinced. I haven't seen it yet so I can't say anything for sure of course, but I doubt it will make such a difference.

thenight11 said:

pretty crazy

It begins. :D

StuBurns

Banned
ItsInMyVeins said:
I still think it's true, though. While there obviously are a lot of people (i.e. nerds) who know of it, the movie is far from known in general, I'd say. Although that's probably about to change during the next few months when the movie will generate more talk, if nothing else then because of the trailer and people now having something to talk about at least. But as it is now I can say that only a couple of my friends have heard about the movie but no one seem to know much at all about it--whether we're talking story, release date or anything, really.

And regarding the 3D I'm still not convinced. I haven't seen it yet so I can't say anything for sure of course, but I doubt it will make such a difference.

It got a full page in most the UK papers the day after 'avatar day'. I think the main problem with it is, seeing the trailer doesn't tell you what an Avatar is. You see a Titanic trailer, it's clear, it's a boat, you're not going to forget and you instantly have something to talk about. You see the Terminator trailer, you have something to point to. You see the Avatar trailer and the only thing that you could really discuss unless you looked into it is the blue people. Without even really knowing what they are. The trailer shows a man waking up as one, for all a viewer knows, all the blue things are humans just like Jake.

The preview ended with a cut of the next trailer, assuming it's not the whole thing, because it was too short, I think it'll grab more attention.

As for the 3D, I hadn't seen 3D anything before, beyond shitty red/green crap, and I was completely blown away. I think if people come to think of that technology as hand in hand with Avatar, regardless of who did it first, or who ultimately does it best, Avatar could be incredibly huge. I really see it as a Jurassic Park type thing, where people will take their kids to see this new landmark movie. Regardless of if that actual film is good or not. The problem is, encouraging people to see it in 3D. Had I not been to the preview, I'd have been going to see it in 2D without a doubt. CG dinosaurs can be shown on TV, 3D can't.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
stuburns said:
It got a full page in most the UK papers the day after 'avatar day'. I think the main problem with it is, seeing the trailer doesn't tell you what an Avatar is. You see a Titanic trailer, it's clear, it's a boat, you're not going to forget and you instantly have something to talk about. You see the Terminator trailer, you have something to point to. You see the Avatar trailer and the only thing that you could really discuss unless you looked into it is the blue people. Without even really knowing what they are. The trailer shows a man waking up as one, for all a viewer knows, all the blue things are humans just like Jake.

The preview ended with a cut of the next trailer, assuming it's not the whole thing, because it was too short, I think it'll grab more attention.

As for the 3D, I hadn't seen 3D anything before, beyond shitty red/green crap, and I was completely blown away. I think if people come to think of that technology as hand in hand with Avatar, regardless of who did it first, or who ultimately does it best, Avatar could be incredibly huge. I really see it as a Jurassic Park type thing, where people will take their kids to see this new landmark movie. Regardless of if that actual film is good or not. The problem is, encouraging people to see it in 3D. Had I not been to the preview, I'd have been going to see it in 2D without a doubt. CG dinosaurs can be shown on TV, 3D can't.

Yeah, like I said, the movie will certainly get more attention the coming months simply because there's a trailer out now -- something to talk/write about. And the movie seems kinda polarizing to an extent as well, with some loving it and others disliking the character design. I do appreciate the epic scale of it and the look of that planet, but like others I think the Na'vi look distractingly much like silly computer generated characters. But who knows, the movie might be awesome in it's entirety.

About the 3D-thing, I'm sure it does look good but I worry that it's gonna be distracting as well, taking Eberts opinions into account.

StuBurns

Banned
ItsInMyVeins said:
About the 3D-thing, I'm sure it does look good but I worry that it's gonna be distracting as well, taking Eberts opinions into account.
My mate Dan said he thinks he'd have to see it three times just to watch the story, not the visuals. He was exaggerating of course, but there is something to that I think. But I don't see it as a downside as such. It's kind of like saying a band's music is so incredible you can't seem to pay attention to the lyrics.

As for the Na'vi design. I think the point is to make them as close to human as anyone could possibly accept. Real looking CG people are awful to watch. But when you see Weaver's Avatar, it looks like her, it's face is like it has the same sub-skin muscle structure. Which is another issue with the Avatar/Na'vi, you're meant to be constantly aware there are human's controlling the Avatars I think, so they have to have enough human in them for you to recognize, however the Na'vi, aren't human, but they have to share the same design, so where you're gaining something on the Avatar design, you're losing something on the Na'vi design.

They do look a little less perfect in 3D though, still rubbery looking, but more gritty, could just be that the image isn't as crisp though.

west

ItsInMyVeins said:
Yeah, like I said, the movie will certainly get more attention the coming months simply because there's a trailer out now -- something to talk/write about. And the movie seems kinda polarizing to an extent as well, with some loving it and others disliking the character design. I do appreciate the epic scale of it and the look of that planet, but like others I think the Na'vi look distractingly much like silly computer generated characters. But who knows, the movie might be awesome in it's entirety.

It is kind of distracting. But not as I tought it would be. It does not feel "like being there", but it definately does not feel like watching a movie either. Its like your brain has seen so much 2d CG that it just instantly pops out, but 3d sort of cheates your brain into thinking the screen has infinite detail. You can clearly tell its not real, but it does not look CG either.

The scenes in the preview where actually quite cliche and i doubt it would have had any effect on me in 2d. In 3d I just got a real rush out of it. 3d compared to the teaser is like taking a picture of something cool and knowing the picture can't do it justice.

I say you should most definately see this in 3d.

west said:
It is kind of distracting. But not as I tought it would be. It does not feel "like being there", but it definately does not feel like watching a movie either. Its like your brain has seen so much 2d CG that it just instantly pops out, but 3d sort of cheates your brain into thinking the screen has infinite detail. You can clearly tell its not real, but it does not look CG either.

The scenes in the preview where actually quite cliche and i doubt it would have had any effect on me in 2d. In 3d I just got a real rush out of it. 3d compared to the teaser is like taking a picture of something cool and knowing the picture can't do it justice.

I say you should most definately see this in 3d.

Just out of curiosity, is the Avatar preview the first time you've seen 3D footage of any kind?

west

MisterAnderson said:
Just out of curiosity, is the Avatar preview the first time you've seen 3D footage of any kind?

It was my first 3d experience with the current technologies. It did take a couple of minutes to get used to. In the first scene it looked like the effect was overdone and the people kind of looked like paper cutouts. But after a while it kind of normalized for me.

My friend had seen Ice Age 3 and Coraline before in 3d but was still impressed.

The event was not really a success though... the theater was maybe 20% full.

Edit: Oh yeah, and I really hope there is a subtitle free version available in Finland. They where just awful in 3d. Never been so distracted by that crap. They where in the "top layer" so to speak so it looked like someone was blocking the screen with big text. Ugh!

Busty

Banned
DieNgamers said:
Didn't the teaser (at least partially) feature music from another movie? However, considering who's responsible for the score it should be good.

I posted a few pages ago that the opening score over the Avatar title screen on the Avatar Day footage is Journey To The Line by Hans Zimmer from his The Thin Red Line score.

I posted links but you should be able to find it easily enough on Youtube.

Dabanton

Karma Kramer said:
We are still 4 fucking months from release... you guys freaking out over marketing make me laugh.

I know i find it amusing. If Fox started the full marketing campaign now we'd have them complaining saying that Fox is going to burn out everyone on a film four months away.

They can't win with these guys i don't know what it is about Avatar that has gotten them so wound up. The most hilarious thing is after all the bitching and moaning from these guys they'll still be there opening day to see the film. :lol

Alright GAF, so let’s start taking some bets. I’ve already come to the conclusion from the first time I heard about the story that one of the main characters is gonna die in the movie, but the question is, which one will die......

Ashhong

Dabanton said:
I know i find it amusing. If Fox started the full marketing campaign now we'd have them complaining saying that Fox is going to burn out everyone on a film four months away.

They can't win with these guys i don't know what it is about Avatar that has gotten them so wound up. The most hilarious thing is after all the bitching and moaning from these guys they'll still be there opening day to see the film. :lol

its the insane hype that sculli has brought onto this movie in GAF. many gaffers will just naturally rebel. they are the un-evolved gaffers.

WJD

I just have a feeling the internet geek massive will absolutely eat this film up, but when it comes to the mainstream audiences (who would make up most of the total gross) will laugh at it. Especially the blue-elf-cats.

I'm still not entirely sure whether I'll see it in theatres. But the art direction may pull me in eventually. It's certainly an intriguing movie.

Somebody make an AVATAR opinion flowchart where doubting Cameron's ability to make box office bank takes you back to the beginning of your thought process.

Ashhong

FooFighter said:
I just have a feeling the internet geek massive will absolutely eat this film up, but when it comes to the mainstream audiences (who would make up most of the total gross) will laugh at it. Especially the blue-elf-cats.

I'm still not entirely sure whether I'll see it in theatres. But the art direction may pull me in eventually. It's certainly an intriguing movie.

it really could go either way. he needs to have one hell of a love story and emotion to pull in the women. as i was leaving the preview this old dude asked my friend and i what we thought and he was going on and on about how he really liked it and thought it looked amazing. so yea, could go either way

I wrote a paper for film two years ago about Cameron's Avatar as a representation of the forthcoming '3D New Wave', whilst everybody else was writing solely about The Jazz Singer and the Sound of Music etc. I was marked down because some of my posturing was hypothetical and as such couldn't entirely reference scholarly sources on a film that was still 24 months away. Today I met that convenor and she remembered the paper I wrote about it and has been following the film since. Telling me about the preview and how interesting it all is and how my comments on how they would market the tech were right. She's in her late forties and will be taking her partner and many of her uni cohorts with her opening week.

Cheebs

Dabanton said:
Bitching and moaning about how Fox is marketing it means it'd be funny if we go to the movie? How does thinking Fox is fucking up how they handle the movie have anything to do with wanting to see the movie or not?

Scullibundo said:
I wrote a paper for film two years ago about Cameron's Avatar as a representation of the forthcoming '3D New Wave', whilst everybody else was writing solely about The Jazz Singer and the Sound of Music etc. .
I really don't think you can put 3D near the same level as any of those other innovations. It will never be like that. Jazz Singer changed EVERYTHING. 3D will only change big blockbusters which is just a small sliver of films. Indie movies, drama movies, rom-com movies..etc won't waste money to film in 3D lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom