• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You can now remotely deactivate your PS3s

Crossposting (SamBishop posted it on SomethingAwful):

http://totalplaystation.com/ps3/news/8952/

Who knew the TPS forums would become the new hotbed for potential scoops? Our own intrepid superfan and TPS contributor freemantim stumbled across something that's apparently been percolating through the corners of the intertubes far from the normally gin-soaked gills of the usual editorial haunts. The short version? You can deactivate you PlayStation 3s remotely.

You can do this right now. As in, this second.

Accessed via the new, painfully-composed Qriocity web site (sound it out.... yes, that's "curiosity"), this may well be a portent to some of the advanced features being rolled out in just a few hours. Regardless of any rumored premium features, this one -- at least for right now -- is something that every PSN user can access. How? Simple, superfriends:

1) Hit up that Qriocity (ugh, just typing it nearly breaks our fingers) URL and click the "Sign In" link, then log in with your normal PSN account.
2) Behold the new PlayStation 3 link there on the left side of the site. Click it and you'll see all your linked PS3s under "Options".

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
How to Deactivate a PlayStation 3 System
Deactivate a PlayStation 3 System
Some types of media that are available in PlayStation®Store can only be used on a limited number of systems per account. The number of systems that can be used depends on the type of media. You manage access by activating and deactivating systems from your PlayStation®Network account. You may also wish to deactivate your system if you plan on giving it to someone else or if you need to send it in for service. If you are not on the system or cannot see the XMB™ menu you will not be able to deactivate the system.

You can only deactivate your PlayStation 3 system from PlayStation®Network using your PS3™ system. You cannot deactivate it using a PSP (PlayStation®Portable) system or PC.

Spy

You can only deactivate your PlayStation 3 system from PlayStation®Network using your PS3™ system. You cannot deactivate it using a PSP (PlayStation®Portable) system or PC.

Speevy

Banned
Well it WOULD HAVE been sweet if this worked, but apparently it doesn't?

Bah. So much for risk-free gaming.

Why can I not do this in 2010? They're my accounts.

Freedom = $1.05 said:
Says that I've reached the max for ps3s. Is the max 3 instead of 5?
I've got 2 and it says I'm maxed out.

Also, there's a "Automatically Add Funds to Renew Subscription" option in Account > Wallet.
PSN Premium confirmed? :lol

Speevy

Banned
The PS3 tech support team is useless. I fear for the day I have to call them and try to deactivate about 7 accounts.

mik

mik is unbeatable
Really?
On the XMB™ menu, go to PlayStation®Network and sign in to your PlayStation Network account.
Go to Account Management > System Activation > PS3 System.
Select the type of content you no longer want your PS3 system to use.
Highlight [Deactivate System] and press the X button. Your system is now deactivated.
Highlight [OK] and press the X button.
For more information or assistance, please visit PlayStation Support.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
we got a leak!
295p8o5.jpg

It says maxed out because qriocity is for movies, so you can only have one active.

Old old old though, I got excited about this months ago only to see this same bs. I hope they allow remote deactivation, I have a stolen system out that they won't help me with.

fernoca

UPDATE: Looks like we spoke too soon. While you can track and edit the names of the PS3s, you can't actually remotely deactivate them any more than before. Weak. We're hoping that something with this kind of easy remote access will be just a bit more flexible in the near future (after all, why offer a button for it if you can't do it?), but for now our hopes are dashed..
Oh well..

SamBishop

Banned
Arrrrrgh. Yeah, we jumped the gun. I was a little puzzled as to why the option would be offered at all if it didn't work, but the movies thing makes a lot of sense.

Miburou

Well, if you could deactivate from the website, you'd still need the deactivated PS3 to connect to the net to really get deactivated. Probably why we'll never see this feature.

Revolutionary said:
I've got 2 and it says I'm maxed out.

Also, there's a "Automatically Add Funds to Renew Subscription" option in Account > Wallet.
PSN Premium confirmed? :lol

Thats on the psn dash too, it was auto set to renew my firstplay sub.

C-Jo

Zombie James said:
I'm getting really tired of US-only features.
No kidding. Xbox Live Gold is a complete fucking sham in Canada. PSN too, but to a lesser extent since you don't have to pay for it (yet).

well, I was able to login with my US account even though I'm from Germany.
So at least I could check one of my share accounts.

With the help of activation date + ICQ history I managed to identify and nickname all the activated PS3s (from me and my buddies). Though they should show the model number to make it easier.
Former activated PS3s are not listed at all btw.

They should let you deactivate the systems from the website by additionally asking for the birthday&security question of the PSN account. That info is not available to random Sharers and you can't edit it later IMO. Login-only might be too "dangerous", if you share your login.

Top Bottom