• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your favorite lead character in a mainline Final Fantasy game? Give reasons.

Daeoc

Squall, carries the cast of VIII to make it my second favorite FF. My favorite FF, probably because it has my favorite cast, is IX.

Leeness

Zidane will always be my favourite because IX is one of my favourite games ever and Zidane is a huge part of that. He's so charming.

Noctis is nipping at Zidane's heels though. I genuinely adore Noct and really felt for him throughout the game.

Ezalc

Easily Zidane.

He's an outgoing guy, who is just a genuine good person and not afraid to help people out. He's fun and witty and the perfect representation of a rogue with a heart of gold. He's not afraid to actually show interest and try to get closer to in those he's attracted to and doesn't put them on some kind of bullshit pedestal nor does he do any of this in a creepy fashion.

Pretty much everything I like about in a protag. He doesn't have the "cool" factor but his charm and earnestness makes him stand out after two completely awful dour and angsty stoic protags who had much more interesting and fun characters in their own games who should have been the actual protags (Zack and Laguna) and the cheap jock imitation that immediately followed him.

Zidane also has one of the few actually good romances in FF history, so more points there.

His relationship with the rest of the cast is great, especially with Vivi whom he looks at kind of like a kid brother and is always there to help him, or anybody else really, out with a lot of patience and kindness.

Tyaren

Noctis. :)
I love that he is such a badass fighter and probably one of the most powerful FF main protagonists ever (and royalty) but doesn't act like it. He isn't arrogant, he isn't brooding, he isn't aggressive. He's just a dork, sometimes shy and insecure, a bit spoiled and lazy but has a good heart (also is a cat person and loves fishing). And he truly grows on his journey. :)

Answer comes down to 3 candidates for me - Cecil, Locke, and fucking Vivi from 9. If it had to be only a contest between main characters of the game itself, then I think i'm gonna go with Cloud, with the caveat of that he gets picked almost entirely out of nostalgia, as I think several of the other main characters, save for maybe Lightening, have better arcs.

Answer comes down to 3 candidates for me - Cecil, Locke, and fucking Vivi from 9. If it had to be only a contest between main characters of the game itself, then I think i'm gonna go with Cloud, with the caveat of that he gets picked almost entirely out of nostalgia, as I think several of the other main characters, save for maybe Lightening, have better arcs.

Lightnings "arc" from cold bully to slightly cheerful introvert to crystal time Jesus to God to fashion model in RL Paris is... something else entirely.

Castef

Banned
Actually, I just published an article on IGN Italy with a list of "awards" about the whole Final Fantasy saga.

And for the "Best Character" spot there is...

Zack Fair

(i'd also like to discusse the remaining "awards"), yet I don't know if I can do it without being banned :D)

I know that many people have negative or conflicting feelings towards FFXV but I am super happy that Noctis is being loved by many. I haven't played the game yet (waiting for finals to end) but at least I know that I can enjoy Noct.

Top Bottom