• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your favorite lead character in a mainline Final Fantasy game? Give reasons.

Plus1Attack

Neo Member
Mine has to be Cecil. He is probably the only protagonist in the series to have such a transformative arch that applies not just to his character but to his actual role in the party going from Dark Knight to Paladin. Not a super subtle use of symbolism, but one I enjoy nonetheless.

Burbeting

Banned
Zidane for me.

latest
Just felt very believably written character to me. Yeah, some of his antics can be annoying (hell, he even gropes the female lead in the first 3 hours of the game), but his story and the character arc he goes through was just very good to me. He also feels like a breath of fresh air after Terra, Cloud and Squall.

Opa-Pa

I think I love almost every protagonist from the ones I've played almost equally. Terra (and Celes!), Cloud, Tidus, Cecil, Zidane... They're all great, but I think my favorite is Zidane. The guy is just a joy as a protagonist and seeing him go from fooling around all the time to actually show he's a reliable friend is great, not to mention that fucking scene with You're not Alone, wow.

Cloud is fantastic too and many people have said why, I just wish Advent Children and KH hadn't kinda soured me on him, because in the original game he's great. Also Cecil was kinda whatever originally but the DS remake really elevated the character for me. He's still not GREAT, but I like him a lot.

I played this game in High School, where I had a crappy time and suffered from anxiety and social awkwardness. Then I played this game and I really connected with him, granted I was never an arse to people and didn't act like him. But his withdrawn nature really spoke to me, to see him grow and accept people was so satisfying. The fact that he turned out to be a sweet guy was a definite plus. I was 13 when I played this, it spoke to me.

You know, VIII is one of the few FF games I've played and not completed. I can't stand early game Squall and the overall tone just doesn't do it for me, but this post might actually make me give it another try.

Also the Blitzball from X has the most personality in that game so that's a close 2nd.

No wonder that kid wants to be one.

Starts out as an angsty teenager but develops into a decent leader followed by opening up more personally and finally opening up enough to show love towards others.
That slow build romance with Rinoa is one of my favorite romance stories ever.

Doesn't hurt that his design was also cool as hell(didn't seem generic Jpop boy at that time)
One of the coolest weapons in gaming,
Finally probably had the best showing of all the Square Enix characters in Kingdom Hearts.
tumblr_n0ka7vkHCN1qk6vrmo2_500.gif

+1

I'll always have a soft-spot for Squall. Especially since his character-arc involved with him coping with and later overcoming depression. Something people were quick to write off as "being emo."

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
1. Noctis and bros. - Their dynamic is good, they're fun and charming, and they feel incredibly grounded. I feel attached to them, almost like how I felt attached to Persona 4' cast.

2. Tidus/Yuna duo - I'd say more towards Yuna actually. She always showed strength to overcome the troubles and never backed out. Initially my top FF protagonist/s but was toppled over by Noctis and bros.

Cloud7

Man i'm really sorry you had it tough as a kid but it feels good to know how much a video game and a fictional character can help someone go through hard times especially when they are young.

Thanks dude. I hope you had good memories with the franchise too. ^_^

jett

D-Member
Thinking about this, I think I've come to the realization that this franchise has some weak-ass characters. In terms of personality I remember very little about any of them, especially the PS1 era. Vivi's cute, but I remember little else.

I'm gonna go with Kain, if only because as a ten year-old a character that kept turning on you and betraying you at a moment's notice was pretty cool.

AgeEighty

img_4

It's this guy, and it's not particularly close. Adventurous, upbeat, dashing (though not as much as he wishes he were), loyal, and a man whose faith and trust in his friends is unwavering. He was the perfect antidote to the wave of reluctant anti-heroes FF seemed preoccupied with.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
My answer is Cloud too.

I don't usually care much for the stoic, asshole type. But what makes Cloud different is that his caring nature belies the tough exterior he puts up. The things this guy has endured through the full VII story would break anyone. But he always finds a way back, even in his weakest moments and fighting his own mental gymnastics, because he cares so much for the people in his life and he doesn't want to let them down or see them hurt.

It's been said before that whatever hurts you the most, only makes you stronger. It seems like one of those pointless platitudes you mutter when you don't know what else to say, but in Cloud, it shows how true and inspiring it can be.

Cloud is awesome, and I'm smiling like a dork seeing so many other people in this thread say the same.

And frankly, a lot of what you just said really resonates with me on a deeply personal level, as I reckon it could resonate with anyone who has endured hardship (ie many of us). I was first introduced to the guy when I was 11 years old, but now, all these considerable years later, I find more and more in him that echoes my own struggles and triumphs each time I replay the game.

I don't know if that's art imitating life imitating art imitating life or what. But damn. It's something.

SoulUnison

Banned
Balthier is one of the greatest party members in a Final Fantasy game, and has the best voice acting and dialog in a game that's already the pinnacle of the series' voice acting and writing.

PK Gaming

Zidane for me.

Just felt very believably written character to me. Yeah, some of his antics can be annoying (hell, he even gropes* the female lead in the first 3 hours of the game), but his story and the character arc he goes through was just very good to me. He also feels like a breath of fresh air after Terra, Cloud and Squall.

He accidentally touches Garnet's butt.

As much as I want to say Balthier (and I have his Play Arts on my desk. I freaking love him.) he isn't the main character of XII no matter how much he says that he's the "leading man." Unfortunately, Vaan was pushed as the main protagonist. (even though the story was about Ashe. I can see an argument the story was about Bashe too.)

Honestly, I've had a lot of time to mull over this, and I truly believe Noctis to be one of the best main characters in the series. I would love to see people really reflect on his character and see how much depth there is to him. The supporting cast help round him out and have him grow as a character.

noctis.jpg

Otherwise, I really like Terra, Cloud, and Squall. Squall has some great character development as the game goes on.

Cloud's up there. His character transition, his awkwardness, his mental issues, and his sense of humor are all very engaging to me. I also thought his relations to the characters was fairly well done, despite the game having several who don't get nearly enough screen time. One of my favorite little gags is early on in the tutorial room where he walks the player through front and back row stuff and declares that "weak characters go in the back," shoving Barret back there. It was such a nice little touch that complimented their shitheaded rivalry at that part of the game.

Celes is up there for me too. She's not as complicated, but she was an engaging foil to Terra, the protagonist in the fist half of the game, and I thought her growth was pretty believeable.

I don't want to say it before I let some more time pass, but Noctis is up there for me as well. I'm a sucker for character arcs about someone growing into responsibility, helped out by tough love from those who care (same reason why I love Tales of the Abyss so much). His growth felt believable, and his relation to the immediate cast members added so much to his personality.

Refresh my memory, why did people dislike Lightning?
Toriyama kind of ruined her for me with how he wrote her in the sequels, and the skeevy design decisions he made later on have kind of tainted my impression of her. I actually think that Lightning in XIII's a solid character - pig headed, extremely flawed leader, selfish and childish (WORST BIRTHDAY EVER), and gradually working through most of it - but then she got put into increasingly ridiculous roles where her flaws were completely glossed over. XIII didn't do a great job showing how these flaws impacting her actions and the story, but making her Jesus was just a bit goofy.

All-time is Cloud, but right now it's Estinien from FFXIV: Heavensward, who I believe is the lead of that expansion.

tumblr_o9gl7oGFjC1vy7pi2o1_500.gif

In the base game, he was just a side character in the Dragoon on job questline, but he was promoted to the main cast of the expansion. His story about losing everything to the dragon war and his seething hatred of dragons and quest for vengeance was really interesting.

RWt6913.jpg

Plus, part of his story was an homage to Kain from FFIV, which is awesome.

But if anyone argues that Estinien isn't the lead, than it has to be Aymeric, who is equally awesome....and pretty.

Damerman

Noctis... he is a real one. he is funny and he's always down for anything and doesn't take shit from nobody ( not even big 'ol gladio). obviously he is spoiled here and there and can throw some stupid tantrums but by the end of the story, he reveals himself to be a really good character. That last extra scene was freaking brilliant. reminded me of when we had to let go of temps at my job that we all enjoyed to have around.

he is a really cool guy.

Fury451

Banned
I've only played VII, XII, and XV.

Out of those, Noctis. Despite his dorky hair, I like where his story goes a lot. He also has a grsat interplay with the others, and develops in a realistic way. Saying more would be spoilers.

Uhhhh today prolly Balthier but if u ask tmrw maybe Ramza? I go back and forth but Ivalice is seriously top tier in this regard. Haven't playex XV yet tho so who knows

Damerman

I never finished FFIV but Cecil for me.

I love his story. The fall from great Knight to seeing the horrors his kingdom committed and become a paladin to fight against them.

It was the first FF with a mature story that wasn't just "collect Crystal's and grind" .

latest

Cecil? really? that cookie cutter mary sue?

Cloud is my favorite since his story arc was better than the others. I love the twist. My second favorites are Squall and Noctis, mainly because of their personalities. I'm biased since I love seeing introverts in game since I am one.

Screw Lightning, she was a damn abusive person with a terrible personality. She rates as my worst FF protagonist.

img_4

It's this guy, and it's not particularly close. Adventurous, upbeat, dashing (though not as much as he wishes he were), loyal, and a man whose faith and trust in his friends is unwavering. He was the perfect antidote to the wave of reluctant anti-heroes FF seemed preoccupied with.
+1

Coolhandleek

Neo Member
I gotta go with Cecil. I just love the idea that of the dark knight who questions his actions and decides to make up for all the tragedy he inflicted.

Gotta say that Noctis has surprised me with the presentation of his character and how he develops. Maybe a top 5 FF lead at the end of the day.

Vic_Viper

For the Mainline games it has to be Cloud for me.

With Noctis and Squall Leonheart closely following behind.

But Zack would win if Crisis Core counted.

Celes - I can't quite put my finger on why but I guess it's because of her character development. Without giving too much away she has alot of revelations that lead her to question everything about herself. Stealth Lead character right there.

Zidane - The best hero of the FF world. Great story development, great writing, playful etc... perfect

Tidus - Annoying as hell voice acting but his story with Yuna is probably the best duo story in the series. That finale scene.... we all know the one. Only one that's truly hit me on an emotional level

IrishNinja

i get the cloud votes, but man, i liked Zack even better in crisis core

The Leading Man

Why?

- he has the best lines
- he sleeps with Fran
- true Sky Pirate
- never surrenders, never backs up
- best art and clothing in FF game

this is my real vote, though. loved the shit out of that dude.

It's a shame Bartz is from an "early" entry in the series, because if he were in a post-FF7 entry he would have got more scenes and more dialogue and I think he'd be just as popular as Zidane. Dissidia did a decent job at expanding him I guess.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
It's a shame Bartz is from an "early" entry in the series, because if he were in a post-FF7 entry he would have got more scenes and more dialogue and I think he'd be just as popular as Zidane. Dissidia did a decent job at expanding him I guess.
Zidane is a slightly goofier Bartz with a tail anyway

I agree though

Jennipeg

I've learnt two things from this thread. I need the FFXII remaster right now, and I really should play IV, I got to the moon last time and the difficulty spike put me off. I just wasn't into it enough to power through. I blame the ugly DS version I played.

mclem

I think I'd go for Zidane? Partially because after two fairly brooding ones, it was nice to go to a more cheerfully roguish hero type. It helps that I found much of the cast very likable there, too, which lent extra enjoyment to his interactions with them.

Haven't played beyond X, can't speak for XII, XIII or XV.

Kalentan

All-time is Cloud, but right now it's Estinien from FFXIV: Heavensward, who I believe is the lead of that expansion.

In the base game, he was just a side character in the Dragoon on job questline, but he was promoted to the main cast of the expansion. His story about losing everything to the dragon war and his seething hatred of dragons and quest for vengeance was really interesting.

Plus, part of his story was an homage to Kain from FFIV, which is awesome.

But if anyone argues that Estinien isn't the lead, than it has to be Aymeric, who is equally awesome....and pretty.

Isn't Alphinaud more or less the main character of Heavensward? He's there with you beginning to the end and more or less makes all the big decisions.

(I know you know what he looks like but for others)

We (The Warrior of Light) are basically his body guard at this point.

I will say I honestly expected to hate Alphinaud when he's first introduction back in 2.0's early quests but really begin to actually like him later on. Since he can come across as a bit... "know it all" I guess at the start? Or maybe not so much know it all but someone who sees themselves as more important than they really are.

But then everything that happens in the final patches of ARR and then 3.0 ~ Soul Surrender really allow him to grow.

Terra from FFVI. She grows from a mindless weapon to essentially a (mental) child caught up in a war where people place their hopes on her. It's only after
after the end of the world
that she feels she's truly discovered her purpose caring for orphans. Only then when her charges are under that does she realize she didn't have to be afraid of her powers, and that they exist not just to cause harm but to protect.

Easily the most balanced female character... She has great moments of strength, great moments of weakness, and she's not tied to a male character. She gets rescued by Locke, but it's not a damsel in a castle situation as she recovers from the slave crown and controls her own destiny in the end.

Top Bottom