• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your most anticipated but cancelled Nintendo games?

drspeedy

I've been thinking back to a couple of games that showed such promise and had everyone amped up for release, some with trailers and playable demos, only to disappear into the ether... a few notable items for me:

Donkey Kong Racing (GCN).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ThbbN3o5yw
885x.jpg

This one could have been great, the DKC universe offers so much variety and opportunity for creative levels. Despite getting a trailer, a press release, and even an estimated release date of 2002, when Rare was purchased by MS the project was officially dead. Even after the sale, Rare's attempts to rework the game into Sabreman Stampede for 360 were also met by the cancellation hammer. Personally, I hold out hope that Ninty will someday produce a DLC pack for Mario Kart that follows closer to the wacky DKC world this game would have presented.

The Grinder (Wii)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NmnHJc4pvI
top7.jpg

This is one of the reasons the Wii should have had more non-casual support. First shown in 2009, sadly by 2011 all hardcore were completely over Wii, so when the development team began working with Infernal engine to support a top-down version for PS360 (previewed at E3 2011) rather than Quantum 3/FPS for Wii things just sort of... dissolved. After the limited success High Voltage had with The Conduit 1 & 2 (C2 is amazing, BTW) this wild west inspired vampire zombie shoot-em-up never saw the light of day. I'd pay good money to see the demo leaked... I still wonder if there's a nearly complete game out there somewhere...

Earthbound 64 (N64)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlVqMlMfiGU

Granddaddy of all the Nintendo lost treasures, this is the game that slipped away. Billed as the N64 DD game that would define the system, everything looked to be on track. Helmed by Shigesato Itoi himself and targeting the newest Nintendo hardware, press and fans were greeted with an exciting concept and new characters... except nothing ever materialized. First shown in 1997 and, after a few timeline shifts, planned for a March 2001 release, EB64 was unceremoniously cancelled without any clear path for resurrection. While Mother DID release years later as a Japan-exclusive GBA game, there's still hundreds of unused assets and music that have been discovered, indicating that the N64DD version was to have been a bigger and possibly even darker experience than we saw in Mother 3. Rumors on the interwebs theorize that the game was around 60% complete before being scrapped.

DJIzana

Mother 3 on the Nintendo 64

While Mother 3 is still a great game on handhelds, it never came out here officially... that and the fact I feel like I'm not playing the original intended version of the game (and I've also found it hard to get into dedicated gaming handhelds... despite how great the GBA lineup was).

TheMoon

Named all of them already.

Back in the day I was really curios about this "Mother 3" I kept seeing a logo of. Being in Europe and thus having never heard a peep about Earthbound this just sounded mysterious as hell.

Donkey Kong Racing of course too because Diddy Kong Racing was brilliant and I wanted to see what a next gen version of that would be.

Ah yes, The Grinder. Need more Wiimote FPS games.

Star Fox 2 I never knew about until the internet age over a decade later so that doesn't qualify here. Can't think of anything else

Didn't that just get renamed to Breath of the Wild? Don't really remember

lol

Of course. There's not been a single canceled Zelda game we know about.

Donkey Kong Racing was the first thing that came to mind, but OP has it covered.

I was looking forward to that one back in the day.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Virtual Boy: Mario Land.

Wario was god tier and I actually *liked* the platform.

I was young and easily impressed.

Donkey Kong Racing still hurts me to this day. A sequel to Diddy Kong Racing that has Donkey Kong himself in it and with ride-able animal buddies? Count me in.

Then Microsoft happened. Fuck.

About The Grinder...considering how lackluster High Voltage Software's output on the Wii was, I doubt it would of been worthwhile.

jonno394

Raven Blade by Retro Studios really grabbed my attention when it was first unveiled, really wanted that title. Its cancellation did give us Metroid Prime in its full glory though...

Three lost Kirby games
1. 4-player Kirby campaign
2. 3D Kirby (ala Mario 3D world)
3. traditional Kirby with smooth animated/pop-up book graphics

6a00d83452033569e20153929f2e35970b-800wi

bengraven

Sim City 64 - the first game I became hyped about via the internet. Read a long list of games coming in the future for the 64 back in 1996 on a random webpage. This and some game called Silicon Valley by some guys who made the Lemmings games...

Only available in Japan and on the 64DD but had been promised it was going to be coming to America on traditional cartridge.

Speaking of HDD games, Master Quest comes to mind as well.

Animal Crossing WiiU - maybe I'm just being negative. But between NX and the fact that we'll be getting a mobile AC game soon, I don't know...

Three lost Kirby games
1. 4-player Kirby campaign
2. 3D Kirby (ala Mario 3D world)
3. traditional Kirby with smooth animated/pop-up book graphics

6a00d83452033569e20153929f2e35970b-800wi

That did come out, though.

Kirbys_return_to_dreamland_boxart.jpg

Those were various prototype stages the game went through in its development before HAL settled on the final game we have today, which resembles the GCN version with its four player co-op.

EDIT: Whoops, sorry!

Mother 3 on the N64 for sure. That system seriously lacked RPGs and this was exactly what I needed at the time.

True Fantasy Live Online for the Xbox.

It looked really cool. I was drooling for console MMOs back then. Final Fantasy XI to this day is my most played game. I love those early 2000's MMOs.
Something about this post isn't right... Can't put my finger on it though....

Sim City 64 - the first game I became hyped about via the internet. Read a long list of games coming in the future for the 64 back in 1996 on a random webpage. This and some game called Silicon Valley by some guys who made the Lemmings games...

Only available in Japan and on the 64DD but had been promised it was going to be coming to America on traditional cartridge.

Speaking of HDD games, Master Quest comes to mind as well.

Animal Crossing WiiU - maybe I'm just being negative. But between NX and the fact that we'll be getting a mobile AC game soon, I don't know...

There's a Wii SimCity game called Creator, it's actually really good.

Aranjah

+1 for pre-Starfox-branding Dinosaur Planet

And this is third-party, so I'm not sure it counts, but I was pretty excited for the GameCube version of StarCraft:Ghost before that one got canceled (even before the game as a whole did).

deleted

The 3D Kirby Game for the GCN. My guess is it could have been awesome!

And what was the name of the studio again that formed from Perfect Dark developers and tried to make a 1st person shooter for GCN that never made it? Game Zero or something like that?

lol

Oracle of ages/seasons originally included a third game which was cancelled during development, back when they were called seed of courage/wisdom/power, with wisdom ending up as ages and power as seasons. Though presumably any developed content for courage was used in the other two games.

TheMoon

Oracle of ages/seasons originally included a third game which was cancelled during development, back when they were called seed of courage/wisdom/power, with wisdom ending up as ages and power as seasons. Though presumably any developed content for courage was used in the other two games.

Right, that one. Fair enough. Might as well throw original URA Zelda into the mix then.

You've been around. You know that posting pics without any explanation what it is in threads is annoying as hell.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

Well, depending on your definition of cancelled, you could argue the third game of the original vision of the Oracle games was cancelled, but that also included the two other games being Zelda 1 and 2 remakes, so really it was a change of direction which meant three games became two.

EDIT: Oh already covered.

Top Bottom