• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your most anticipated but cancelled Nintendo games?

Maxrunner

Anything Rare Gamecube, specially Perfect Dark, miyamoto said in one e3 interview he had footage of it running on GC but never showed it.

The original Twilight Princess:

https://youtu.be/ViTiPDZGLBc

Not gonna lie, I'm wondering why they changed many things about this trailer.

-No swimming
-No Giant
-Forests
-That Gohma boss

And also these Moblin's:
zeldatpbetamoblin.jpg

Moblintwilight_princewss.jpg

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Earthbound 64 had me jizzing my pants and dreaming of that wondrous, magical 3D gameplay when I was the screens in a magazine as a kid.

I remember some first-party Wii game that was basically Endless Ocean but on a space station. It was announced at the same time as Another Code: R, and we've only seen few heavily compressed seconds of it.

Can't remember its name, though. Cosmic... Cosmic Whatever. (EDIT: Googled it, it was called Cosmic Walker. https://youtube.com/watch?v=AYjhCxGg2Ew)

Also, what the hell happened to Project Giant Robot?

Maxrunner

Metroid 64

Metroid64Final.jpg
Is this real?

I believed it was never started.

edited, from wiki:

games™: "This apprehension over 3D gaming, is that the reason there was never a Metroid 64?"

Sakamoto: "I was actually thinking about the possibility of making a Metroid game for N64 but I felt that I shouldn't be the one making the game. When I held the N64 controller in my hands I just couldn't imagine how it could be used to move Samus around. So for me it was just too early to personally make a 3D Metroid at that time. Also, I know this is isn't a direct answer to your question but Nintendo at that time approached another company and asked them if they would make an N64 version of Metroid and their response was that no, they could not. They turned it down, saying that unfortunately they didn't have the confidence to create an N64 Metroid game that could compare favourably with Super Metroid. That's something I take as a compliment to what we achieved with Super Metroid."

games™: "Can you say who that company was?"

Sakamoto: "Sorry, I cannot."

Peltz

Do English localizations that never materialized count? Because Mother 3 is still a glaring omission.

If not, then Starfox 2 on SNES would be my choice.

Pinky

Banned
Is this real?

I believed it was never started.

Yeah, I'm not so sure myself. This image has been around for a long time, so I've always assumed it was a prototype build of sorts. Nintendo wanted a Metroid game for N64, but Sakamoto couldn't figure out how to use the controller to move Samus in a 3D world. I even read that they tried to outsource the project to another studio, but they never disclosed who they had in mind.

Edit: Ahh, beaten! :)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I mean there was a lot of cut content but the game itself exists. I wonder how much the game changed though during the porting process? Things like tutorials and areas which would be enhanced by more camera control I imagine were changed.

The story goes that the original director was losing grip on the project and it was basically a mishmash of ideas. It required Aonuma to step in and basically take what worked and piece it together. That's why some mechanics (like picking up animals) are still in the game, but serve no real purpose.

Sakujou

Banned
there was oracles of seasons and oracles of ages and there was supposed to be a third game which name i forgot. i wonder how this amazing game would have turned out.

three complete campaigns and after finishing all of them, you can play another campaign...

i wonder what exactly and why it was scrapped.

actually there is so much misinformation on the internet, i have the mags in my parents basement, the game was canned early in dev because nintendo wanted to release all three at the same time. they canned the third one after realising that you cant use the link cable with more than 2 people connected together. thats what i remember.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I was really looking forward to Disaster: Day of Crisis, bummed that didn't get a US release.

Also Captain Rainbow, while never announced for the US, is something I would have loved to play.

there was oracles of seasons and oracles of ages and there was supposed to be a third game which name i forgot. i wonder how this amazing game would have turned out.

three complete campaigns and after finishing all of them, you can play another campaign...

i wonder what exactly and why it was scrapped.

tumblr_n0r3dq1VIf1r28k5co1_540.jpg

duckroll

I wanted to know more about Cosmic Walker...

Playing an astronaut exploring a space station seemed like it could be fun. Especially if it wasn't combat focused and didn't have weird aliens/zombies/whatever.

This this this. I remember when everyone was obsessing over that Dread reference in Prime 3

Since we're on the subject, I remember there being some evidence that Dread existed in some form at some point. But does anybody have the links or know exactly what the "evidence" was? I recall interview conversations where it was mentioned I think?

Nepenthe

The F-Zero game that was being toyed with by Criterion is the one that absolutely kills me. I would've happily taken Burnout Revenge with a futuristic skin.

I also forgot to mention Crash Twinsanity on GC. It was underway but canned for no reason. My theory is that it had to do with disc size. If it was due to poor sales of WoC and/or Nitro Kart, the GC wouldn't have gotten Tag Team Racing afterwards.

Since we're on the subject, I remember there being some evidence that Dread existed in some form at some point. But does anybody have the links or know exactly what the "evidence" was? I recall interview conversations where it was mentioned I think?

if I remember correctly Matt C. previously of IGN posted a video of it at one point, although I could be confusing it with something else.

I wanted to know more about Cosmic Walker...

Playing an astronaut exploring a space station seemed like it could be fun. Especially if it wasn't combat focused and didn't have weird aliens/zombies/whatever.
This has been mentioned a few times already.

if I remember correctly Matt C. previously of IGN posted a video of it at one point, although I could be confusing it with something else.
I'm pretty sure there is no video of Metroid Dread in existence, publically anyway. Would love to be proven wrong though.

This has been mentioned a few times already.

I'm pretty sure there is no video of Metroid Dread in existence, publically anyway. Would love to be proven wrong though.

man I could have sworn someone showed something. Maybe it was a Halo game for the DS though that im thinking about.

Rodin

Does Metroid Dread count?

Übermatik;216877447 said:
If you're referring to the 2012 demo, I agree. The aesthetic looked like a high-def Twilight Princess, and for that I was well on board. I'd kill for another TP universe/inspired game. They got the blend of traditional Zelda and the darker overtones just right.
That WAS Twilight Princess. Armogohma boss fight in the temple of time dungeon.

drspeedy

Not gonna lie, I'm wondering why they changed many things about this trailer.

-No swimming
-No Giant
-Forests
-That Gohma boss

And also these Moblin's:
zeldatpbetamoblin.jpg

Moblintwilight_princewss.jpg

As someone who has never gotten into TP, how much of this was removed? That trailer makes the game look a lot scarier than I feel my time with it has been.

Probably Super Mario 128

I know some of the parts of it were cannibalized into Pikmin and other Mario games. But 128 never came out

TheMoon

You're confusing this with Halo DS. Which nobody has mentioned yet btw^^

Also, what the hell happened to Project Giant Robot?

Nothing. TBA. Was on ice, not canned.

The US version of Disasters Day of Crisis. It looked like a fun game but not enough to buy a PAL Wii just to play it

Homebrew. It's so easy.

I was going to post this. Game looked really fun - love anything with flight. It was supposed to be part of the "Capcom 5" if I remember correctly.

Yep, it looks quite interesting and more like an interesting take on Panzer Dragoon which looked pretty similar to this game.

Top Bottom