• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your most anticipated but cancelled Nintendo games?

Since we're on the subject, I remember there being some evidence that Dread existed in some form at some point. But does anybody have the links or know exactly what the "evidence" was? I recall interview conversations where it was mentioned I think?

IIRC the first time people heard of it was through a big leak that covered a bunch of stuff Nintendo was supposed to show off at E3, all of which happened (among the leak was the first use of the "Twilight Princess" name) except for Dread. I think some news outlets backed it up and it seemed pretty damn ironclad from day one. Pretty sure Sakamoto confirmed it was a thing at one point, and that was unrelated to any Metroid project that has come since.

Actually, here we go: http://kotaku.com/5277377/nintendo-new-metroid-is-not-metroid-dread

Also: https://www.gamestm.co.uk/features/...e-unwritten-future-of-the-warioware-series/3/

You're confusing this with Halo DS. Which nobody has mentioned yet btw^^

Well, considering it was an unsolicited pitch that never made it beyond that demo (which was rumored to be built on the Goldeneye DS engine) I'm not sure it necessarily counts. :p

Borman

It was finished. There is a complete rom out there somewhere. It was just scrapped in lieu of the Nintendo 64 and its games.

The roms out there are all hacks of unfinished roms. Despite seeming mostly finished, they were still missing features from the final builds, which apparently still exist at Nintendo.

As for me, it would be a proper English version of For the Frog the Bell Tolls, if there was ever one in the works. Fan translation is great though.

Painguy

Mega-Man-Legends-3.jpg

LiamR

Since we're on the subject, I remember there being some evidence that Dread existed in some form at some point. But does anybody have the links or know exactly what the "evidence" was? I recall interview conversations where it was mentioned I think?

Dread existed.

It was a 2D sidescroller. A very early prototype was shown behind closed doors at E3 in 2008 or 9 (can't remember which). Members of various Nintendo studios, like NST were allowed to see it.

I asked Craig Harris about what he knew and he told me that a few members of the press were shown a plot synopsis at that same E3. He said they were handed some document with a basic treatment on it. I asked him if he could remember any of it, but he could not; nor did he know whether or not anyone kept a copy of it. It sounded a bit dubious to me, to be honest. If that doc was real, any members of the press who had access to a copy of that and didn't preserve it properly really fucked up.

Dread existed.

It was a 2D sidescroller. A very early prototype was shown behind closed doors at E3 in 2008 or 9 (can't remember which). Members of various Nintendo studios, like NST were allowed to see it.

I asked Craig Harris about what he knew and he told me that a few members of the press were shown a plot synopsis at that same E3. He said they were handed some document with a basic treatment on it. I asked him if he could remember any of it, but he could not; nor did he know whether or not anyone kept a copy of it. It sounded a bit dubious to me, to be honest. If that doc was real, any members of the press who had access to a copy of that and didn't preserve it properly really fucked up.

Wow, interesting. Thanks for the reply. I hope we get some unearthed design documents or something one day...crazy stuff gets discovered or "re discovered" every once in a while.

It was supposedly a DS game if I remember?

Edit: from WhiteRabbbitEXE's link:

"I cannot deny the existence of such a project in the past but cannot say if it will be what I move onto next or not. I’m sorry but we would like to keep that game a mystery. After all, there has been a lot of speculation surrounding Dread. And my hope, if at all possible, is to reset the situation at once and start from scratch."

NJD316

Neo Member
I still have the box my Gamecube came in with that screenshot of Rare's Donkey Kong Racing on the back as part of the "upcoming games" line up.

Sakujou

Banned
Is this real?

I believed it was never started.

edited, from wiki:

games™: "This apprehension over 3D gaming, is that the reason there was never a Metroid 64?"

Sakamoto: "I was actually thinking about the possibility of making a Metroid game for N64 but I felt that I shouldn't be the one making the game. When I held the N64 controller in my hands I just couldn't imagine how it could be used to move Samus around. So for me it was just too early to personally make a 3D Metroid at that time. Also, I know this is isn't a direct answer to your question but Nintendo at that time approached another company and asked them if they would make an N64 version of Metroid and their response was that no, they could not. They turned it down, saying that unfortunately they didn't have the confidence to create an N64 Metroid game that could compare favourably with Super Metroid. That's something I take as a compliment to what we achieved with Super Metroid."

games™: "Can you say who that company was?"

Sakamoto: "Sorry, I cannot."
i think at one point it was the company, who canned turrican 64,too in the end. i read something about this in 1998.

TheMoon

Seriously, was Sadness anything more than some pictures and hot air? People being it up like it was a legit game in development but I was certain it was dismissed back in the day as a load of codswallop.

It was. Sadness has always been the punchline of a vaporware joke. Doesn't mean people didn't want it to turn into something real and looked forward to it (like me).

god i wanted that version so much. with the creepy dolls and ghost hook zombie. looked so much better then the RE4 we got.

I know, opinions and all, but RE4 is one of those games I can't imagine not liking. I just played through it again for the 100,000th time, but I haven't played it in ten years. Nothing makes me feel like RE4 does, even as I am more critical of its terrible, terrible story.

RE4 is like Bloodborne for me. Unmatched mechanical and environmental masterpiece that I crave like a drug. The thought of somebody not liking it (which is an obvious reality) is as foreign to me as those people who say they don't like how water tastes. It is essential and you will die without it. How can you not like it?

Pardon my brief diversion.

Raitaro

Anyone else remember Dead Phoenix?

dead01-483961_640w.jpg

I sure do!

I'm still soured by this one as it was my most anticipated title out of the Capcom 5. Yes, even more so than Resi 4.

Could have been really cool as a spiritual sequel to Legendary Wings and perhaps even the start of a new big series for Capcom. That or a reboot of Kid Icarus if Nintendo had stepped in and offered the IP (which in those days wouldn't have been unthinkable, especially considering the number of gamecube exclusives they were supposed to be getting from Capcom).

@MUWANdo

Banned
Didn't it became something else? I can't remember...

I don't believe so. The primary reason that game was canned was Nintendo wanted and expected Tezuka Productions to be directly involved with the development of the game, so when it became apparent that Makoto Tezuka's interest had waned they simply killed it. There were also technical issues that mostly came about as a result of personnel being pulled all over the place (Zelda, Doshin, unreleased projects like Cabbage).

Harmen

Never knew about Donkey Kong racing. Damn, this one hurts retroactively. Ugh, I wish Rare of the old days was still there making Nintendo titles.

gabbo

Besides Project Hammer, Cosmic Walker, and The Grinder, which have already been mentioned:

The original Gladiator AD from High Voltage looked like a lot of fun - and different from what it eventually became (Tournament of Legends) if I'm not mistaken
https://youtu.be/IJ-3g3VM_iY

Not

Banned
Project H.A.M.M.E.R. looked pretty cool. I missed out on years of putting a little period between every capital letter every time

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
From those 3 in the op, only DK looks decent. The rest look like ass.

For me, probably Raven Blade. It looked really interesting and had a lot of potential.

The roms out there are all hacks of unfinished roms. Despite seeming mostly finished, they were still missing features from the final builds, which apparently still exist at Nintendo.
I think the "final builds exist somewhere in the universe" is what they were saying, not that you could find them online or in collector circles.

Boogiepop

Cosmic Walker would have been mine, yeah, despite how little of it we actually know.

For the opposite, I'm honestly kinda glad that nothing ever came of Factor 5 Kid Icarus, at least from the stuff that can be seen from it.

Oh, and to people bemoaning Disaster not coming stateside: it's not a good game, so I wouldn't worry about that one. There's some fun to be had from laughing at the pure stupidity of it, but it's definitely a kind of bad game (not like tragic levels of bad, but more crappy waggle-y minigames combined with terrible driving, bad platforming whenever it asks anything of you, and mediocre shooting gallery stuff)

Red Devil

In my case it'd be Raven Blade, but it's been mentioned already...

Star Fox 2 (Super Famicom).
And it was almost finished..... >_<"

Well, technically it might've been in fact finished but never released, didn't one of the developers of Star Fox Command said they got to play a build that's far more complete than the prototypes floating around the internet?

Is this only first party?

If not I would have to say I was crushed Robotech never made it
out.

robobox.jpg

robotechgoneg1.jpg

robotechgoneg2.jpg

Heh, I remember this one being hyped as hell around the launch of the N64.

Twelve Tales: Conker 64

latest

Rather have this than Bad Fur Day.

Personally I preferred Conker's Quest over Twelve Tales, but I'm fine with Bad Fur Day otherwise.

MooMilk2929

FX fighter is a game I was looking forward to. I thought it'd really show off the power of the SNES. Sadly it was cancelled but there was a PC port. I imagine it would have been better with nintendo's guidance tho.

Also, Killer Instinct 1 for N64.

Top Bottom