• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your most anticipated but cancelled Nintendo games?

drspeedy

Trago

Raven Blade by Retro Studios. First party Nintendo western RPG?!?! I'll take 20.

1096542-ravenblade.jpg

372831-ravenblade_0607_017.jpg

372826-ravenblade_0607_012.jpg

Servbot24

Banned
Lol, Raven Blade looked so fucking bad. Thank god they cancelled that.

I was pretty interested in the 3D adventure Kirby though.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
There was Factor5's pilot wings like game. There was also a GC exclusive in development by Peter Molyneux and Jeff Minter that never materialized.

First-Party: Donkey Kong Racing (GC).

Third-Party: Sword of Legendia (Wii), Shining Force Gear (Wii), and Sonic '06 (Wii).

Sonic '06 was poop of course, but during development, I was HYPED and was hoping for it to be Revolution-bound. Turned out it was, but was canned for Secret Rings when the Wiimote interested the team and the hardware difference meant they couldn't get the port out soon enough after launch.

If you're referring to the 2012 demo, I agree. The aesthetic looked like a high-def Twilight Princess, and for that I was well on board. I'd kill for another TP universe/inspired game. They got the blend of traditional Zelda and the darker overtones just right.

Garraboa

Dragon Hopper and Zero Racers are the holy grails of the Virtual Boy cancelled catalog. Especially considering that DH is already finished.

Mother 3 on the Nintendo 64

While Mother 3 is still a great game on handhelds, it never came out here officially... that and the fact I feel like I'm not playing the original intended version of the game (and I've also found it hard to get into dedicated gaming handhelds... despite how great the GBA lineup was).

It hurts to look at this

What's this? I've never heard of it.

It was supposed to be a spinoff of the Rouge Squadron series where instead of you controlling the rebel alliance like in the previous games you got to control the empire.

Previously there was a secret mission in Rouge Leader where you can play as Darth Vader piloting a tie fighter and Dark Squadron was supposed to be a continuation of this. Unfortunately Lucas Arts turned this project down in favor of the Chewbacca action game which eventually was released as The Force Unleashed though Dark Squadron never saw the light of day.

If you're interested in learning more Liam Roberson who is a good friend of GAF did a video on DYKG about various cancelled Star Wars games and Dark Squadron is one of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVJzHSGp9aQ

bigmac996

EDIT**

Misinterpreted the thread, thanks for letting me know guys! Haha.

Back on topic, my most anticipated cancelled NINTENDO game was probably Mario 64 2 back in the day.

The cancelled Argonaut Yoshi game could have been great, but I hadn't anticipated it in any way.

LewieP

Wasn't Giftpia planned for a worldwide release at one point? I was always very curious about that game.

There was Factor5's pilot wings like game. There was also a GC exclusive in development by Peter Molyneux and Jeff Minter that never materialized.

Unity, and to the best of my knowledge Molyneux had nothing to do with making it, it was just published/funded by Lionhead.

I think some of the work done on Unity ended up in Space Giraffe.

Fisico

Was expecting some mention of Project Hammer or Nintendo Pennant Chase Baseball but maybe no one cared (that's the main reason games are cancelled after all lol)

Yeah, Mother 3.

Also...does Dinosaur Planet count ?

dps008.JPG

This absolutely counts.

There are so many things that got changed/messed with by the time we eventually got this that it barely resembled the game it set out to be at all.

It's a shame that the star fox skin was seemingly pushed on this game because it made it totally lose focus from its original vision. The history behind this game is pretty interesting and it is always sort of sad for me to hear about what they were going for originally because it sounded so much more interesting/promising than what we eventually got.

TreIII

Definitely Earthbound 64. Considering that there were shots of Lucas and Claus together in different sections of the game, it makes me wonder if the story might have turned out a bit different
or at least hold off what happened to Claus until later in the story

Honorable mention would have to go to the "Zelda 2 remake on SNES" proof of concept that ended up being used as the basis for OoT on the N64. I loved Zelda 2, so I just remembered being mystified that there was supposedly some type of "BS-remake" ROM that never saw the light of day, years ago.

stilgar

This absolutely counts.

There are so many things that got changed/messed with by the time we eventually got this that it barely resembled the game it set out to be at all.

It's a shame that the star fox skin was seemingly pushed on this game because it made it totally lose focus from its original vision. The history behind this game is pretty interesting and it is always sort of sad for me to hear about what they were going for originally because it sounded so much more interesting/promising than what we eventually got.

I wanted a Zelda with dinosaurs. And it totally looked like it in the original n64 screens.

The GC, starfoxized version what a complete borefest.

Danneee

The Capcom 5 is my pick. I remember thinking that every one of those games would fill a void in the gamecube library.

Was expecting some mention of Project Hammer or Nintendo Pennant Chase Baseball but maybe no one cared (that's the main reason games are cancelled after all lol)

So you only read the op? Both are mentioned, PH more than once.

higemaru

Space Station Tycoon for the Wii had a whole multi-page write up in Nintendo Power and then was never heard from again. Even in threads like this, it always takes a while for it to be mentioned considering how far along it looked.

Justinh

Gee, the only cancelled stuff that I knew about from Nintendo before they were already dead and was hyped for were the 64DD zelda stuff.

I remember reading articles (pretty sure it had already changed to IGN by then) and being excited about the N64DD.
Would Star Wars Dark Squadron count? That was supposed to be a Gamecube exclusive
Yeah, that sounded so cool from the Unseen 64 stuff (it was revealed by those guys right?). I would've been so into it too, because I loved the Rogue Squadron games at the time. I had no idea it existed back then, so I guess it wasn't anticipated for me.

Top Bottom