• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your most anticipated but cancelled Nintendo games?

t1gerjaw

Too Human (GameCube)

02TH.jpg

https://www.unseen64.net/2008/04/09/too-human-gc-cancelled/

-shadow-

Does Project Zero 4 localisation count? We know it was worked on by NOE because of a magazine commercial teasing that game would be released the following month, but after that NOA made it clear it would never happen and Europe never (de)confirmed its existence outside of, iirc, the commercial being okay'd by accident.

Also I wonder how Too Human would've been on the GameCube before the game was retooled for UE3 and bame such a mess of a production.

There's only six seconds of footage from it, but Cosmic Walker was such an interesting concept: https://youtu.be/Y4V2XPVCXO4

I've always wondered what happened to this. The concept seems really interesting and I'm rather curious what it would've been like. I love me some Endless Ocean!

The original Twilight Princess:

https://youtu.be/ViTiPDZGLBc

If the OOT debug ROM is anything to go by most of the locations you see were solely for testing purposes to see what would and wouldn't work. Although most of what's there did end up in the game in one way or another. I remember being really disappointed that Armogohma was so boring in the final game after this trailer. Though it's really interesting they bought that exact same section back for Spirit Tracks.

Disaster: Day of Crisis US release

You can thank Reggie for that one. He was shit talking the game even before the release in Europe. Which really didn't do the game any good. Speaking of which, because of you I'm reminded of the prototype of the game that didn't use the Wiimote yet but just the classic controller supposedly. I believe this is the only screenshot and this trailer are the only two sources of the pre-Wiimote phase of the game. I wonder how differently it would've played out.

Feffe

Wind Waker 2 for GameCube, they haxed it to focus on Twilight Princess. Wind Waker art style was so beautiful, the DS hardware couldn't do it justice.

Mael

Wind Waker 2 for GameCube, they haxed it to focus on Twilight Princess. Wind Waker art style was so beautiful, the DS hardware couldn't do it justice.

It never existed.
It's not cancelled when it was never greenlighted or even prototyped to begin with.

The cancelled Argonaut Yoshi game could have been great, but I hadn't anticipated it in any way.

That pretty much became Croc for PS1 and PC. Nintendo burned Argonaut hard. They developed the Super FX chip and did a lot of work on Star Fox, then developed Star Fox 2, only to have it cancelled shortly before launch. That was a huge loss in profit for them. Then because they were close with Nintendo before the N64 launch, they made a prototype Yoshi game and pitched it. Nintendo said no, but according to someone at Argonaut, Nintendo took a lot of inspiration from them when making Mario 64. They were burned really hard twice by Nintendo which is why Croc never came to N64.

Another fun fact about Croc and Nintendo is that the Mario 3D World theme rips off part of Croc 2's theme pretty blatantly.

woopWOOP

A lot of the canceled stuff ends up being repackaged into a new release one way or another, but I'm still very curious to see what could have been with:

- The 4-player Kirby game for Gamecube where the other players could play as regular enemies like in Super Star.
- The N64 version of Mother 3. Seems like some segments (like the whole minecart bit) got removed when they remade it for GBA.
- Starfox 2. Actually this is pretty much playable, but I'd like it if the two newcomers were actually canon and Slippy was still a party dude.

EndMerit

I haven't played Tokyo Mirage Session yet (apparently it's pretty good), but that's definitely not the game people initially anticipated of Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem.

Herne

Super Mario 64 2

And no, Sunshine definitely doesn't count.

Wasn't it just a demo of Mario and Luigi on-screen? Experiments that lead to Mario 128 when development shifted to GameCube, and then onto Sunshine? I mean, that's all I remember of it, an interview with Miyamoto who said he had the two running around on his monitor?

I wasn't aware real development had begun beyond that on an actual game.

Semajer

I thought Winter looked amazing. I watched that trailer so many times.

Metroid Dread too.

Since we're on the subject, I remember there being some evidence that Dread existed in some form at some point. But does anybody have the links or know exactly what the "evidence" was? I recall interview conversations where it was mentioned I think?

I seem to recall the Official Nintendo Magazine UK saying that it was on the NoE release schedule that they had access too. I'm pretty sure Sakamoto mentioned it in an interview once too.

-shadow-

I dont know how many times RE4 changed, but i liked the Supernatural version, or at least it looks more interesting to me.

Wasn't this the version that would make us piss our pants or something along that line? Still seems great though. Also that blue filter was actually in one of the old (but final form of) RE4 demos along with a couple of other stuff of this build. I really wish we'll ever see this resurface. It looks great!

Shame it never happened, but Silent Hill Shattered Memories looks so much like it. Oh well...

brau

I haven't played Tokyo Mirage Session yet (apparently it's pretty good), but that's definitely not the game people initially anticipated of Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem.

Im just really really disappointed that the game won't do all audio through the wiiU tablet. Only TV audio. Can't use my headphones :(

GamerJM

Banned
Not actually a Nintendo game, but since the OP mentioned the Grinder I guess that proper Super Monkey Ball 3 that was apparently in development at one point.

Also Fire Emblem 64 would have been cool. Idk if it would have ever come stateside.

Not a game but I wish the Twilight Princess Wii U tech demo actually became something. BotW looks great but I loved how that tech demo looked.

Actually I think the thing that I really want the most is whatever Paper Mario game was shown for the 3DS at E3 2010. Because iirc it looked a lot different than Sticker Star.

TheMoon

That has nothing to do with what this thread is about.

Oh right! Winter! Too bad about that one :(

Also Fire Emblem 64 would have been cool. Idk if it would have ever come stateside.

This reminds me: I want that Fire Emblem Wii RPG. :/

Honorable mention would have to go to the "Zelda 2 remake on SNES" proof of concept that ended up being used as the basis for OoT on the N64. I loved Zelda 2, so I just remembered being mystified that there was supposedly some type of "BS-remake" ROM that never saw the light of day, years ago.

Yes! I feel like the only person in the world who played through OoT and found the game disappointing. It was not the 3D Zelda 2 I wanted and was at least semi-expecting. All the stuff from the very old OoT screenshots and footage is almost not at all representative of the game that came out (so I should get my money back, right?)

As for cancelled N64 games I was excited for, I was pretty excited for RE0 though I was FAR more excited about what the game was rumored to be about than what it actually was. Having said that, I can't currently clearly recall what that rumored premise was. I feel like it had something to do with ninjas, but that seems really weird for RE. I just remember IGN reporting on it a lot and it sounded really weird and wild for RE.

Also, I was excited for original Conkers. I ultimately wound up hating all of Rare's 3D platformers, so no matter what I probably would not have liked it.

I was excited for Tonic Trouble and for a long time it seemed like that game just wasn't going to come out. Eventually it did come out and I was a fan of it but I want to say a sequel was rumored or announced at some point and that never happened.

Ghost N' Goblins 64 was a thing I was excited about at some point. I don't think anything related to that game has ever seen the light of day but it was announced at some point and the idea of a Mario 64-like Ghost N' Goblins game sounded great to me. I want to say that game WAS NOT connected to Maximo on PS2 in any significant way.

This has been mentioned a few times already.

I'm pretty sure there is no video of Metroid Dread in existence, publically anyway. Would love to be proven wrong though.

I'm not sure if there is anything publicly available, at least in my brief moment searching youtube, but I was at E3 the year I think it was mentioned and at the Nintendo booth they had a video wall playing a sizzle reel of various games and Dread was one of them. It was like 30s or maybe a minute or something. Really short. Game looked like ass. You could tell it was super early in development. Maybe someone out there took video of that video wall when it played and has it sitting somewhere. Or maybe my Google skills are lacking.

I'm not sure if there is anything publicly available, at least in my brief moment searching youtube, but I was at E3 the year I think it was mentioned and at the Nintendo booth they had a video wall playing a sizzle reel of various games and Dread was one of them. It was like 30s or maybe a minute or something. Really short. Game looked like ass. You could tell it was super early in development. Maybe someone out there took video of that video wall when it played and has it sitting somewhere. Or maybe my Google skills are lacking.
That's the first I've heard of it (a sizzle reel). Surely if it existed something would have surfaced about it by now?

Are you sure it wasn't an early Fusion or Zero Mission promo?

@MUWANdo

Banned
Since we're on the subject, I remember there being some evidence that Dread existed in some form at some point. But does anybody have the links or know exactly what the "evidence" was? I recall interview conversations where it was mentioned I think?

Someone from IGN (Craig Harris?) claimed they'd been shown a script or GDD or some other internal document related to Metroid Dread, I forget the specifics.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Yeah, Mother 3.

Also...does Dinosaur Planet count ?

dps008.JPG

I would argue it doesn't. Star Fox Adventures incorporated most of its content with a prettier coat of paint and perhaps a bit more on top of that.

Anything Rare Gamecube, specially Perfect Dark, miyamoto said in one e3 interview he had footage of it running on GC but never showed it.

Perfect Dark Zero you mean.

TheMoon

Someone from IGN (Craig Harris?) claimed they'd been shown a script or GDD or some other internal document related to Metroid Dread, I forget the specifics.

Don't you mean that it showed up on a list of games Ninty was exhibiting at that one E3? That's the only "document" story I know of in relation to Dread.

Shiggy

Don't you mean that it showed up on a list of games Ninty was exhibiting at that one E3? That's the only "document" story I know of in relation to Dread.

From what I remember, they showed even more but none of the gaming media cared to look at it properly.

Top Bottom