• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zack Synder war on comics continues, Jesse Eisenberg to return in justice League

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleepey

Minor quibble but Victor Frankenstein turned on and abandoned his creation, not the other way around. It was one of the reasons the Creature was so pissed and arguably the reason he killed anyone at all - he had no upbringing or positive social interactions.

Oh, my bad. It's been years since i read it.

Toxi

Banned
If Tony have reacted differently to the video of
the murder of his parents
, then Zemo's plan would be a failure. He was lucky Tony got angry.
I mean, it's kinda common sense to assume Tony Stark would be pissed off when he learns Bucky, the guy Steve is constantly trying to save and forgive, murdered his parents. And if Tony is pissed off at Steve, that would probably damage their working relationship.

He certainly got lucky with how Tony reacted though.

G-Fex

Snyder is a dick to DC specifically superman characters.

It's pretty obvious he fucking hates superman and friends. I doubt any of Batman's friends or foes will die (robin doesn't count).

Also Age of ultron is far superior and a not a fucking mess of a film that BvS is.

No flowchart will ever clear up that fuck up.

I mean, it's kinda common sense to assume Tony Stark would be pissed off when he learns Bucky, the guy Steve is constantly trying to save and forgive, murdered his parents. And if Tony is pissed off at Steve, that would probably damage their working relationship.

He certainly got lucky with how Tony reacted though.

He would be pissed, but he's also a hero. He became Iron Man to stop wars in the first movie and he created Ultron to achieve piece. It is very possible that he would have reacted differently.

Why the fuxk is he still there?! I thought he was fired?

The time between Batman v. Superman's release and Justice League's shooting was too short to get rid of him in (even though they put the kibosh on George Miller's Justice League when it was even closer to shooting).

Why the fuxk is he still there?! I thought he was fired?

I think Snyder had made a lot of work or something in the pre-production of JL before BvS' critical reception and they couldn't fire him. He won't helm JL2 imo, unless JL makes a billion or something.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Can agree with Lex, not so much Zemo. Zemo is just a man without much resources. The only way for him to bring down the Avengers was how he did it, or at another time with that information. And if it wasn't for Cap he wouldn't even have that.

What is this nonsense?

Zemo wasn't a normal guy, he was part of a Sokovian death squad. The guy had connections and training. Which harms Civil War because he's not actually relatable in the slightest - dudes worse than anyone else in the film, and has probably broken up far more families than Bucky. He's just a douchebag who fell apart when tragedy struck, and his "I did it for them" rhetoric near the end shouldn't elicit any emotional response.

But this is a universe where every Shield bit of info leaks and yet no one knows Coulson is alive. Or wonders why a supermodel is also a spy.

The Kree

Banned
What is this nonsense?

Zemo wasn't a normal guy, he was part of a Sokovian death squad. The guy had connections and training. Which harms Civil War because he's not actually relatable in the slightest - dudes worse than anyone else in the film, and has probably broken up far more families than Bucky. He's just a douchebag who fell apart when tragedy struck, and his "I did it for them" rhetoric near the end shouldn't elicit any emotional response.

But this is a universe where every Shield bit of info leaks and yet no one knows Coulson is alive. Or wonders why a supermodel is also a spy.

Bucky was a HYDRA assassin for 90 years and you think Zemo somehow did more in his shorter time on earth because reasons.

Also, spies often have multiple identities.

Sandfox

Snyder is a dick to DC specifically superman characters.

It's pretty obvious he fucking hates superman and friends. I doubt any of Batman's friends or foes will die (robin doesn't count).

Also Age of ultron is far superior and a not a fucking mess of a film that BvS is.

No flowchart will ever clear up that fuck up.

Poor Jimmy.

TI82

Banned
Go read the reddit.com/r/dc_cinematic thread on this if you want a real laugh. Like people can't actually be this into these awful movies

Toxi

Banned
He would be pissed, but he's also a hero. He became Iron Man to stop wars in the first movie and he created Ultron to achieve piece. It is very possible that he would have reacted differently.
Tony's an impulsive and emotional guy with lasting trauma over his parents' death. He's a hero, but he's still human.

While it's certainly possible Tony could have reacted differently and Zemo got lucky with how extreme his reaction was, it was basically guaranteed the revelation would drive some kind of wedge between Tony and Steve.

It's cute that r/dc_cinematic still has movies like Cyborg and Shazam on the sidebar.

Didn't realize Flash was still scheduled for March 2018 either. Good luck releasing a $200m film with no director in 15 months, DC.

Ross61

It's cute that r/dc_cinematic still has movies like Cyborg and Shazam on the sidebar.

Didn't realize Flash was still scheduled for March 2018 either. Good luck releasing a $200m film with no director in 15 months, DC.

Flash had already lost it March spot even when it has a director......

DeathyBoy

Banned
Bucky was a HYDRA assassin for 90 years and you think Zemo somehow did more in his shorter time on earth because reasons.

Also, spies often have multiple identities.

Bucky was in stasis between missions.
And was seen as a spook story. Hydra wasn't going to send him out regularly. Plus you can Z argue morality - Bucky was brainwashed, Zemo chose to do the shit he did. And he wasn't killing before Sokovia for his family

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Well this just keeps getting better and better.

He's more complex than the standard villain. His motivation isn't revealed outright, nor is it black and white. He's got daddy issues and hates Superman's godlike status and physical power over him.

Lex wants to expose Superman and turn the world against him. He wants to destroy Superman's entire being, both his rep and physically... But not really, because his biggest fantasy is to gain control over him somehow and be his superior. That scene where he brings Clark to his knees is his proudest moment.

Basically... His lust for destroying Superman, fucking with his head, and controlling him all conflict with each other. He goes back and forth on what he's trying to do. He's smart but he's also a mess, which confuses people about what he actually wants.

Even Lex doesn't understand his own motivations. So many levels.

People are into awful comic books. Such is the law of superhero geek culture.

I think it's mostly people never discovering the super-liberating experience of accepting and admitting that something that you love is bad. Honestly, it's incredible therapeutic. I'll even lead us off in a round:

Deadly Premonition is a janky mess that's just straight-up cribbing from Twin Peaks the entire time, which is itself an over-acted corny mess. It's a completely terrible game and I absolutely love it.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders is such paint-by-numbers shonen tripe that it basically wrote the book on what paint-by-numbers shonen tripe is. The only thing even particularly special about it is how amazingly homoerotic the whole thing is. I love it and I will watch it five times.

The Attitude Era was when professional wrestling completely jumped the shark, becoming too lazy to even bother with interesting gimmicks and a fun storyline in favor of instead running an entire decade of shows about not having interesting gimmicks or fun storylines. It's my favorite decade of wrassling.

Now, I can't help with the BvS admission because I thought it was cat shit on screen and didn't derive a single moment of joy from the entire film, but I'm sure someone can tell you why they love it anyway without trying to convince you it's actually good.

ElNarez

Banned
Well this just keeps getting better and better.

Even Lex doesn't understand his own motivations. So many levels.

It is that, but it's actually way simpler? He's trying to prove that Power is inherently evil. That you can't be as powerful as Superman is and be the kind, selfless, caring person that Clark Kent is. He makes that assumption based on his experience, and the abuse he got as a kid, and I think that part is pretty well-covered?

Doomsday is the ultimate demonstration of that, in a sense: he's the greatest possible amount of power, and his aim is nothing other than violence and destruction. The whole point of the movie regarding Lex Luthor is summed up in the moment where Doomsday tries to punch Luthor, and Superman stops him.

Blader

Flash just hasn't been rescheduled yet. There's no way it's making that March spot now, but there's probably no reason to update it until they announce a new director or something.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
He's trying to prove that Power is inherently evil. That you can't be as powerful as Superman is and be the kind, selfless, caring person that Clark Kent is.

Lex uses his accumulated wealth and power to 'prove' Superman isn't "kind, selfless, caring" by framing him to look "inherently evil"? That's not 'proving' anything, that's just terrible sciencing!

ElNarez

Banned
Lex uses his accumulated wealth and power to 'prove' Superman isn't "kind, selfless, caring" by framing him to look "inherently evil"? That's not 'proving' anything, that's just terrible sciencing!

gee it's almost like lex luthor is some kind of evil scientist person

(also, "prove" is maybe not the exact word? he wants the world to agree with his view of Superman is the idea)

I like Eisenberg but good god was that original casting one of the worst casting decisions I've ever seen. Can't believe they're letting him reprise it. Whatever.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
yeah no shit that's how manipulating people works

That plan doesn't really match his supposed motivation, does it?

1) Daddy was a bad man who had lots of power, so Lex believes power is corrupt.

2) Lex spends life accumulating power.

3) Superman comes along. Very powerful and doesn't seem to be corrupt.

4) Lex doesn't trust that so... he... frames him? To look corrupt/not 'innocent'? Therefore... piss jar? What?

It's confusing.

ElNarez

Banned
At this point I think you're being willfully dense, so, last time: Lex Luthor sees Superman as inherently corrupt because of the power he wields. He puts in motion a plan that will show the world that Superman is bad. It doesn't matter that it's a setup. It doesn't matter that Superman is actually good. THE WHOLE THING is about making it look like Lex is right. THAT'S HOW FRAMING SOMEONE WORKS.

PS: Lex inherited his wealth and power from his dad.

Dimefan3

I thought Jesse Eisenberg did a pretty good take on Lex Luthor.

I've never understood why people are hating on Zack Snyder's version of the D.C Universe - both Man of Steel and BvS were fun movies. Yes there needs to be a bit more humor injected into the next lot of movies, but I always thought that was more of a Warner Bros decision than Snyder's call.

Bleepey

At this point I think you're being willfully dense, so, last time: Lex Luthor sees Superman as inherently corrupt because of the power he wields. He puts in motion a plan that will show the world that Superman is bad. It doesn't matter that it's a setup. It doesn't matter that Superman is actually good. THE WHOLE THING is about making it look like Lex is right. THAT'S HOW FRAMING SOMEONE WORKS.

PS: Lex inherited his wealth and power from his dad.

I find it weird that people are complaining that Lex Luthor has an irrational hatred of Superman. I guess this is why movies give Lex motives related to real estate because Lex spouting Epicurus's trillema and the problem of evil confuses people.

TI82

Banned

I've never understood why people are hating on Zack Snyder's version of the D.C Universe - both Man of Steel and BvS were fun movies. Yes there needs to be a bit more humor injected into the next lot of movies, but I always thought that was more of a Warner Bros decision than Snyder's call.

Go watch any other snyder film then, this bleak pseudo-art film is his style.

And can you please explain further on Lexberg?

This whole exchange is easily the cringiest scene in a movie this year. Even the actors are just like... are we really doing this?

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f736c6c61764a465f545369364a513d3d2d3234393832343239332e313434386662653364616362333066662e676966
68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f59583148335867584f56655363773d3d2d3234393832343239332e313434386639326535396135633864352e676966

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f66464a534e4e50633265497553773d3d2d3234393832343239332e313434386662666536393535363566622e676966
68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f776d4736674c6733487961426a673d3d2d3234393832343239332e313434386663303736376663326237372e676966

Blader

Which of Snyder's movies are tonally different from Man of Steel and BvS?

I don't think it's especially difficult to understand why people haven't liked either of his movies (both as DC superhero movies and movies period) or his overall vision.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
At this point I think you're being willfully dense

Cool your jets. You engaged me, remember?

Lex Luthor sees Superman as inherently corrupt because of the power he wields. He puts in motion a plan that will show the world that Superman is bad.

That's where I'm lost; where the motivation doesn't seem to match the following plan.

It doesn't matter that it's a setup. It doesn't matter that Superman is actually good. THE WHOLE THING is about making it look like Lex is right.

If he's manipulated the situation to make Superman seem corrupt (even when he's not and Lex knows he's not), what point is he making exactly? Who does this version of Lex respect enough to make such a point to? I DON'T GET IT.

You make it sound like he's an ascended and somewhat confused Internet troll. I think I preferred the other poster's explanation; the one where Lex was as confused as the rest of us.

I find it weird that people are complaining that Lex Luthor has an irrational hatred of Superman. I guess this is why movies give Lex motives related to real estate because Lex spouting Epicurus's trillema and the problem of evil confuses people.

Actually, basic philosophy I'm fine with, it's real estate talk I don't understand.

TheYanger

It pains me to see ANYONE that enjoyed Lex in BvS. The movie was awful on its own, but he was the single worst character. It was just an awful awful awful attempt to turn Lex into LedgerJoker and could not have fallen more off the mark. Even if you liked TDK Joker, Lex was a pale imitation that hit none of the high points. He was remarkably stupid as a character that is defined by being anything but, and his level of self control was nonexistent which made him a super poor choice for such a juggernaut in manipulation and mental acuity.

That said, maybne the problem wasn't Jesse but the direction. oh wait.

TI82

Banned
It pains me to see ANYONE that enjoyed Lex in BvS. The movie was awful on its own, but he was the single worst character. It was just an awful awful awful attempt to turn Lex into LedgerJoker and could not have fallen more off the mark. Even if you liked TDK Joker, Lex was a pale imitation that hit none of the high points. He was remarkably stupid as a character that is defined by being anything but, and his level of self control was nonexistent which made him a super poor choice for such a juggernaut in manipulation and mental acuity.

That said, maybne the problem wasn't Jesse but the direction. oh wait.

Yeah it was never Jesse's fault it's the writing and directing. Jesse is a fine actor and has played numerous smart/cold characters before. They told him to act like a Joker riddler character instead of actually Lex Luthor though so... here is what we got.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom