• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Escape 3 is "Zero Time Dilemma"; Logo and Key Art Revealed

Eusis

Huh, are we getting a new artist, or is that just guest artist type stuff like the haccan Kiseki covers?

. . . Well, I'd miss the old stuff, but that is some amazing looking artwork so I can't be TOO sad.

xzeldax3

Fuck yes I'm so excited! I'll never forget the day I stumbled across 999. VLR delivered IMO and the wait for chapter three has been agonizing.

The cleaned up art looks amazing as my iPhone wallpaper.

By the way, I don't mind the lack of updates from Aksys. The less you know the better I think.

Eusis

The cleaned up art looks amazing as my iPhone wallpaper.

By the way, I don't mind the lack of updates from Aksys. The less you know the better I think.
The twist is that everyone who pre-ordered gets abducted and plays a real life version of the game. That's why there's no media, there literally is nothing they can show.

Blasphemy! The voice acting in VLR is the GOAT.

It's just run-of-the-mill anime-quality voice acting. Some of the voices fit the characters, others do not; most of the performances are over the top and/or forced. However, that alone wouldn't have been enough to turn me off from completing the novel. What kept me from ever finishing VLR was the annoying fact that I read faster than the actors deliver their lines, and the speed of the text does not sync up with their delivery. In 999 and any other VN without voice acting (or has the option to turn it off), I can control the flow of the text; I can speed through or linger on any line I want. Here the flow is dictated by the voice acting, and my only options are to either wait for the VA to finish reading what I finished reading 5 seconds before, or, even more annoying, cut short every spoken line of dialogue just so that I can advance at my pace.

It's a pretty standard option in VNs with voice acting, so it boggles my mind that someone thought it was okay to omit it.

GSR

Something I'd like to see, actually: have that woman (
Diana
, presumably) be the protagonist instead of the "plot-important female sidekick" like Akane and Phi. If she is who everyone thinks she is, that gives us some instant investment in our protag and adds a certain tension to our decisions - since presumably [VLR spoilers]
our actions could directly lead to Sigma losing his arms for the player character's sake - and unleash Radical-6

Right now though, all we can do is wait! Though I am curious as to when Spike-Chunsoft will start promoting the game in Japan - it's been pretty much radio silence from them AFAIK, Aksys has been handling the promotion.

999, VLR and ZTD. I can dig it.

More than anything, I'm fascinated to see if they can take the crazy escalation in VLR and actually tie things up in a satisfying way. I loved 999 as a little standalone thing that introduced a whole lot of insanity and tied it up in an incredible little bow, and while I enjoyed VLR, I worry that it let the insanity get a bit out of control and that it could go later-seasons-of-Lost in the finale.

Right now though, all we can do is wait! Though I am curious as to when Spike-Chunsoft will start promoting the game in Japan - it's been pretty much radio silence from them AFAIK, Aksys has been handling the promotion.

This, though I'm still curious about how the whole simultaneous dev cycle is working (I could just be making this up, but ZTD is coming out in the east and west at the same time, right?). I know we may never get a full answer, but it's just so inter sting...

Side note: Yes, my account was activated in time for the next round of scouring every single news source for ZE3 info! It was so hard to just sit on the sidelines during 4infinity and read.

Dice//

Banned
Here's a pic I made for my site and maybe for a future OT.:p

H7ZxVW6.png

It's absurd to me that anyone can say this. Laura Bailey, Cindy Robinson, and Karen Strassman turned in incredible performances. The whole cast was remarkable.

Different strokes, I guess.

I didn't say it was a bad thing, just that there are nuances in the Japanese performances and in the script itself that aren't always captured by English voice actors (and I happen to be a huge fan of Laura Bailey). But I almost always turn off the voice acting in games that require lots of reading, because I'm just old fashioned like that. Power of imagination, yo.

GamerJM

Banned
The VA work in VLR is really great, but I think I prefer VNs to not be voiced in general. It just makes the game feel slower than it should IMO.

SkyOdin

It seems I am in the minority, I liked "Virtue's Last Reward" more than "Good People Die".

I like it too, since Virtue's Last Reward is a pretty good title, even ignoring everything else. Particularly since "Good People Die" isn't a perfect translation of the original Japanese title, which was actually a play on words with the second meaning of "I want to be good". "Virtue's Last Reward" both directly evokes the "Good People Die", while retaining ambiguity. On top of that, it is nice and poetic.

Wasn't it Aksys who got the ball rolling?

takoyaki

I can't wait for this. Hope we get some screenshots soon.

I really want to see how the new artstyle translates in game.

Yup, same here. I really want to see how the game looks. Now that ZE3 is announced and the title is official, screenshots should be up next. I guess the waiting continues ;)

I didn't know this, but 'Zero Time' means "the ability to react instantaneously - in an instant.
In other words, zero time is right away at that moment."

Interesting....

AniHawk

ze 1 + 2 spoilers

my speculation on the purpose of this game is
not just to create a future without an apocalypse, but that this is akane's super long game way of making sure she could live a normal childhood in at least one timeline.

Two Words

I liked the 3D art in VLR. I really hope they still at least have full voice acting. VLR had an excellent localization as well as a great performing cast. The thing holding me back the most from playing/watching 999 is having to read text on the terrible DS screen. I wish it was voiced as well.

AniHawk

Wow. This looks great. I hope they go with this style for the whole game.

i think they will. vlr was a huge step down mostly in ways done to appeal to a japanese marketplace - the anime promo, zero iii being a mascot thing like monokuma, clover being in the game despite being dumb and useless and i hate her, etc.

Nezzhil

I imported the 999 and I will import this game too. I want all these games in physical form and the region lock will not stop me!

Thinking of buying a new 3DS only to play VLR again. Left my old one at home in another country and never finished VLR because dammit I felt some guilty in going down some 'betraying' paths.

Absolutely loved what I played though.

Top Bottom