• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you ashamed of being a gamer/nerd in public?

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I forgot to add this
youre-like-16-and-pregnant.jpg

Megatron, keeping it 100 as always.

Hey I got an MD too, but I ended up not practicing. Does that still count?

............Oh god, it doesn't /ohgodwhy

Back on topic though, as a guy in his 30's, I personally don't have a problem with wearing a Gamer-related T-shirt or using a handheld now and then. If someone has a problem with it, fuck em. I'm this old, and I'll enjoy my hobby anyway I please.

Why you are not practicing?

AEREC

Not too ashamed of my hobby but I guess I am enough so that I don't feel the need to broadcast it, at least not to people I work with or am close too. Ill play my Vita or 3DS on public transportation but there's been times where I've wanted to play it at work while on my lunch break (office setting that has a wing that's just tables) but I would feel weird if I did.

I do find it odd that gaming has a certain stigma compared to people who read books as a hobby or movie enthusiasts. But then again gaming seems to have the most childish enthusiasts.

Sober

I do find it odd that gaming has a certain stigma compared to people who read books as a hobby or movie enthusiasts. But then again gaming seems to have the most childish enthusiasts.
Because to most people, the content of video games is almost entirely 'low brow'. And honestly, that's not far from the truth. Sure, the ratio in books/movies/tv are probably just as skewed but people recognize that, whereas they don't with games. Of course, it's not as simple as that either, but that's one reason.

Well, here on Rio de Janeiro, where I live, there's strong prejudice against nerds and gamers. It's already very normal to people to play gamers, but there's still a stereotypical view among the society, where it stigmatize gamers/nerds as freaks and bizarre people. If you are viewed as "nerd" in the people's eyes, makes sure will have a hard time to be accepted among many groups, as they buy this stereotype.

It's very stupid actually, because are many people who actually play games and enjoy it a lot, but adhere themselves to this nonsense in fear of rejection or being classified as a "nerd". Many people actually hide they like games because such rejection and prejudice against it, or even call other people who play games as "nerds".

I'm proud to be a gamer, but you got to have balls to admit it around here.

Not too ashamed of my hobby but I guess I am enough so that I don't feel the need to broadcast it, at least not to people I work with or am close too. Ill play my Vita or 3DS on public transportation but there's been times where I've wanted to play it at work while on my lunch break (office setting that has a wing that's just tables) but I would feel weird if I did.

Movies and books are respected art forms to the masses and especially with books, you can increase you generally knowledge and vocabulary just by reading them. Games havent reached that point because they are primarily designed for mindless entertainment.

at a certain time in life you gotta put away the video game tees. that time is 16 years of age.

plus 99% of society doesn't want to hear about this shit.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Honest question: how many are you in here put "Video Gaming" in the Interest or Hobby part of your CVs during interview or job application? Or answer "Video Games" when asked by an HR person what is your hobby?

Pfft. I'm 39! I run a gaming website, a gaming music website, put gunpla's together, goto gaming / geek culture events, listen to game music while speeding the highway and I love it. I've been married for 14 years, 2 kids and a decent salary and house.

My room is all "Geeked" out and entire family is into it. Fuck the haters, you like what you like and that's all that should matter.

Madao

it has cut into my chances of having a girlfriend and stuff so it's something i never mention unless people directly ask.

Bishop89

Pfft. I'm 39! I run a gaming website, a gaming music website, put gunpla's together, goto gaming / geek culture events, listen to game music while speeding the highway and I love it. I've been married for 14 years, 2 kids and a decent salary and house.

My room is all "Geeked" out and entire family is into it. Fuck the haters, you like what you like and that's all that should matter.
This, fuck everyone else. It's your life, do what you want. Judgemental people are pathetic.

h#shdem0n

GG has tarnished the term "gamer" for me.

I do have a couple of gaming ish shirts (they're not really game shirts per se just anime done in 8 bit style). I talk about games with other people who are interested in them, but I will not call myself a gamer.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
GG has tarnished the term "gamer" for me.

I do have a couple of gaming ish shirts (they're not really game shirts per se just anime done in 8 bit style). I talk about games with other people who are interested in them, but I will not call myself a gamer.

It was much worse after 2001 with L33t, n00b, bro(s), etc. etc. I wore a shirt my senior year of high school of Halo's Legendary. There's been a few rough years, but now a days the t-shirts look better and people generally have a better idea about it all.

You aren't wearing your Squall Lionheart necklace everywhere you go. There's occasionally the Naruto headband, but I think once you get older you save that stuff for cons or you just retire it altogether.

There's stuff that can make me cringe, but I also realize that I don't mind it if it's at the right place at the right time.

I knew a few people who played games, but in front of their wives they said they'd never collect anything that has to do with gaming or wear any shirts. It felt like they wanted to hide the fact that they enjoyed games. I have quite a few things myself, but I'm happy to own what I have. I don't go to someone and say, "hey man, I just bought this BioShock t-shirt and this Play Arts figure". I just give myself more dignity and respect that way. We don't have to be this open book to someone else.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
The best part about being an adult is that you don't have to give a shit about what other people think of your hobbies.

Unless you are doing something illegal I guess.

yamo

Some times when my coworkers ask "what did you do this weekend?" and all I did was play warframe for 32 hours I actually just say "eat good food, watched stuff on netflix and hung out with friends"

It's not that I'm ashamed it's that I don't wanna deal with the "what's that?" type of questions.

This is me, just exchange Warframe with some random RPG and browsing GAF.

Nesther

MD GAF unite!

I don't engage with people or spontaneously offer about my hobby, but I'll engage with people who want to engage about it. At work - I honestly find talking about it causes more issues than not due to preconceived perceptions about it, so I generally avoid it.

What an awful post - let people enjoy what they want to enjoy the way they want to enjoy it.

Please let us know what developer you're with so I can never buy your games.

I'm about to start my rotations! Got any video game related MD stories?

KaoteK

I'm coming up to 42 years old, I've been gaming since I was 5 or 6, and do not give a shit what people think about it. Actually the missus likes me playing games as it means I don't go out with my mates so often.

With all that said I don't consider myself a "gamer' just a guy who fucking loves games.

odhiex

This is an interesting topic, actually. I personally never feel ashamed with showing my affection to gaming to public. Although, I never wear any gaming related shirts or attributes outside. On my daily life, as employee of an International Organisation, I wear a normal dress and most of my co-workers aren't playing games.

Fortunately, in this city (or Country I'm in now) most people does not have that stereotypical mindset about how a gamer/nerd should looks like. I think we could blame the mainstream medias on how they portraying the "nerd or gamer" to have the same appeareances and attitudes i.e. geeky looks, anti-social, man-child, unhealthy lifestyles etc.

I am 32, maried and also a gamer. Maybe not quite like OP, but I never felt embarashed to tell everyone if they asked me "What is your hobby?" of course, playing videogames.

Akzel

I feel the same way. That feeling being watched by peoples when I wears video games related shirt or anything like that. So to answer, I feel shy sometimes.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Speaking about MD gamers. I was at the Skyrim launch and there was a 3rd year medical student standing in line with me. He was going to the same University I was going to at the time. We chatted for a bit. I've met people of all walks of life who were into it.

At times you do get one of those, "oh they do it because they're young", but in reality you don't see age if you're really into it. If you're young and you own an Xbox and just play a casual racer or FPS then you might see it with an age stamp on there. If you enjoy gaming and I mean are really into it then you won't see these judgmental calls some people make. I was hit with a few when I had friends who quit gaming. My old best friend from high school did that to me once. We sorta moved on in life, but after high school he came over to use my cable modem to play Halo 2. He'd travel to MLG tournaments and after a while he moved on to become a pastor. One night we were on the phone and he said, "I'm just not as big into video games as you are". That was kinda of done deal because I wasn't expecting to be called out so sudden.

We met playing Tekken 3 in the arcade at the mall. We were real big friends for a while, played games until the credits rolled, and then one day we just stopped being real good friends.

I meet people who are very different in how they feel and even some of the older forum guys seem to be taking the heat from what they call "being busy". Sure that's normal, I accept that, but it's like "What's next?". There's nothing really more to say unless they get more time to play or something.

I met some people who played the games they wanted to play and they had to be very jaded about the rest (console games and main franchises). It felt like I would have rather quit gaming altogether than to do step by step instructions on what games to play. To me, gaming is a choice that we make. We shouldn't have to be forced to dislike something just because someone doesn't like it anymore.

Sometimes I'd meet someone who was playing Halo or Call of Duty and I didn't want to always be bringing up the subject because that's all we connected on. I know I don't want to bring up the game I played last night unless I am truly comfortable and that same person knows exactly what I like. Now a days I don't know what to expect because I think I've been through the mill in terms of how people can dislike something such as video games.

I would say this though, don't share the moments that you enjoy about video games with everyone you come across. I told a person I met while we were playing games that, "You aren't the type of person I would go with to a video game event". He agreed too. Some people are just there because and your reason isn't important. It's more important to those who understand what it's like to like something without the idea of giving it up some day because the lights became dim.

I wear my duck hunt shirt to the gym. I'm old, married and don't worry about what others think anymore. All I want to do is play videogames, but I have no time.

Sober

Fuck that.

Don't let the terrorists win.

No, srsly, that's what they want. Gaming to stay a Basement Virgin hobby.
Gaming as a hobby I have no problem with. Gaming as a culture - one predicated on consumption through constant consumerism - when people start to define themselves on one thing and decide it's the hill they want to die on, that's where it gets icky.

blitzkrieg184

Neo Member
First ever post! Wooooo!

Honestly I know people think I'm strange when I'm playing games (like with an obvious anime style to them like Persona) but I don't let it bother me too much. Plus I don't look like a gamer in the slightest; so strangers are generally pretty surprised when they find out.

My sisters and extended family think I'm wasting my time but my mom is pretty supportive of my interests. Though it does piss me off at times when people judge me for being a gamer. I have other aspects of me ya know! I'm a huge sports fan, get regular exercise and outdoor activity, I don't play games when people are over or are talking to me, and I'm doing extremely well in life in general. Yet people will inevitably focus on the thing that they find different, so I usually hear quite a bit of unwarranted criticism about my gaming interests.

Can't stop, won't stop. Gaming for life!

Halabane

Its on my resume. I am 56 years old and work for a large military contractor as a senior engineer. No one has an issue with it. Actually its a positive because it shows I keep up with technology and I get along with the younger engineers coming in.

Also I think we are learning its okay to be who or what you are. No shame in not being what someone else calls normal. Screw that. Your life dude, don't let anyone be your judge. Have fun, life's way to short.

I'm high school I was a little ashamed. But once I hit college I stopped giving a shit what people thought. My current circle of friends are a bunch of artists who don't play video games but they know I really enjoy them and they seem to respect that.

Gusto

Heck no, no shame in my game. Any time I'm off work, I rock a shirt from E3 or PSX with pride. I usually get complements from other peeps.I Live it, love it, and expose it.

39 year old console war veteran.

Gusto

Its on my resume. I am 56 years old and work for a large military contractor as a senior engineer. No one has an issue with it. Actually its a positive because it shows I keep up with technology and I get along with the younger engineers coming in.

Also I think we are learning its okay to be who or what you are. No shame in not being what someone else calls normal. Screw that. Your life dude, don't let anyone be your judge. Have fun, life's way to short.

Massive respect.

No, and I never will be. If you are ashamed of having a hobby to the point where you act like it's not a part of your life you need to reevaluate some things.

Corpekata

Banned
Certain elements. Yeah, you can say everyone should be free and clear about their hobbies, but the real world just doesn't work that way. People will judge, and I don't know if I blame them that much. I do it. If your hobby is knitting or model train collection, I'm probably thinking what others may think of me. My family and friends know the extent of my interest, generally, but I try not to make it a upfront thing with random people. Any really devoted interest like that I don't like to broadcast to everyone. And I'd say I even do it somewhat around friends and family. I will play Popular Game X when my brother is around my apartment, but I don't think I'd load up Recettear around him, just to save me the conversation.

So basically, being into games, sure, I don't hide that. Playing Akiba's Strip on my Vita during lunch in the break room, not so much.

I forgot to add this
youre-like-16-and-pregnant.jpg

This is actually pretty disgusting.

It is basically mocking a child over a mistake because she disagrees with an adults' conscious life choices.

And correlating the same negative image of teen pregnancy to 'nerdy' hobbies. Which, coming from a guy who made some horrendous correlations earlier in the thread, is really, really shitty.

Pregnant teen girls get infinitely more shit throw at them than gamers ever have and ever will. That's a terrible meme.

Vex_

Banned

It is basically mocking a child over a mistake because she disagrees with an adults' conscious life choices.

And correlating the same negative image of teen pregnancy to 'nerdy' hobbies. Which, coming from a guy who made some horrendous correlations earlier in the thread, is really, really shitty.

Pregnant teen girls get infinitely more shit throw at them than gamers ever have and ever will. That's a terrible meme.

Uh oh.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013

giphy.gif

I don't really act like a gamer in public, not cause I don't want to, but it just never really comes up. I don't play handhelds in public cause I'm usually heading out to do something. Maybe if I'm on a plane or something then yeah. I also don't have any gaming clothes like a Mario shirt or something cause it's just not my style.

But gaming conventions? Hell yeah, I'd love to go to one. Friend wants to talk about games and shit in public? Who cares, it's our conversation. It's not like I walk into Gamestop my head hung low like I'm trying to buy some drugs, I just go in, buy somethin, and leave.

I'm not ashamed of being a gamer in public, mainly because the opportunity to show that I'm a gamer in public is almost rarely ever comes up.

poodaddy

Not only am I unashamed of my unabashed game loving, but I'm absolutely proud of it. As a certified, (but not yet practicing), personal trainer, nutritionist, exercise therapist, and strength and conditioning coach as well as disabled US Army vet I'm always proud to let people know that my main motivation for getting into shape was actually inspired by video game characters in a sense. I know it's kind of unhealthy and weird but when I was a teenager I was obsessed with Street Fighter, and my favorite character was Guile as he reminded me of my father who I couldn't see anymore, (
my dad was an Air Force vet.....that's essentially where the similarities between them end haha)
so I decided to start a fitness program in an effort to build a physique like Guile's. Weird and kind of unhealthy I know, but hey any reason to get into fitness is a good one I always say. Fast forward 12 years and my wife is a weightlifting geek just like me, (and I see the love for it in my daughter already), and I'm still known to engage in 6 hour gaming sessions pretty regularly; and I can honestly say that I would not be as healthy a person as I am today without video games, as I certainly never cared about sports and my time in the Army was just depressing. tl;dr Don't ever be ashamed to be a gamer, it can be a positive force in anyone's life if they let it, and anyone who says otherwise is simply being biased and narrow minded.

I don't know, I'm honestly not much of a public person so I guess I just don't make any effort to promote that part of myself. To be honest, I'm quite shy and never had many friends growing up, so I wasn't really aware of "gaming culture" until I was in college, where I was too busy with school and my relationship with my girlfriend to care about it, online or off. It's only been within the last year that I've embraced a lot of things about myself and my interests, gaming and otherwise, and feel much more satisfied about who I am than I ever was when I was in school.

That said, I'm well known among people I grew up and work with as an expert on all things, so I often feel uncomfortable opening up about things I don't know a great deal about. That's why I feel I keep my hobbies to myself more often than not: I feel I don't know enough to be able to engage with people who have been into those hobbies for a long time. Nerds, geeks, and enthusiasts in general can be quite harsh towards others who've dedicated less time and maybe have less passion for their interest than they themselves have; I myself have been guilty of this in the past. As such, I only really open up if asked. After all, isn't there so much else to one's self than the things they choose to do in their free time? :)

kewlbot

i am ashamed but i dont care cuz at the end of the day i'm the dude with the cool new bionicle set

i guess you could call me a gamer but you'll never catch me calling myself that to anyone

Shoujax

Neo Member
Absolutely not. Gaming and 'nerdy' stuff make up a lot of my hobbies and interests. And it has never influence my chances with women or my ability to make friends

i am ashamed but i dont care cuz at the end of the day i'm the dude with the cool new bionicle set

i guess you could call me a gamer but you'll never catch me calling myself that to anyone

I don't ever refer to myself as "a gamer". People that watch movies don't call themselves movie-ers, or people that read regularly etc. Seems like an odd choice to have to label it. I play and enjoy video games, it's a hobby like any other.

Top Bottom