• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Day of the Tentacle: SE will be shown at Indiecade tomorrow

That's what a redrawn game looks like imo, DOTT looks straight from an upscaling filter.

Isn't that more what a single painted picture looks like, that doesn't have to take any constraints (source material, budget, target platforms, etc) in the project into consideration?

FT_comp_zpsdcc02f6b.gif

That's what a redrawn game looks like imo, DOTT looks straight from an upscaling filter.

It looks alright. My only complaint is the lighting effect that is coming from the lamp. It is way to strong and distracts from the overall scene. Sames with the needless use of lens flare.. Tone that down and it would look good.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I dunno. I expected better I think, it really does look like some weird automated vectorization thing in a lot of places.

Buuut I'll get it, since the game's fantastic.

That Full Throttle mockup would look hideous in motion unless they changed the entire animation system (which was impossible in the MI remakes due to the classic mode switching feature).

BlackRock

That Full Throttle mockup would look hideous in motion unless they changed the entire animation system (which was impossible in the MI remakes due to the classic mode switching feature).

Huh. I hadn't realized that was the reason the animations were so poor in the MI special editions. I had assumed they just went cheap. Probably would have been worth splitting off the classic mode and having improved animations, in retrospect. At least we got the voice work, though, which is what is really special about the SEs.

Part of me likes it and part of me dislikes it. It's nice to see how faithful it is to the original visuals but:

- "HDfying" the graphics without adding any detail feels wrong.
- Stretching the graphics vertically feels wrong.
- Some parts look like they went through some sort of smoothing filter. The "DO NOT SIT ON MACHINES" sign in particular looks bad.

I dunno, it's not like I ever expected to get what I actually would want. Which is a traditionally animated, from the ground up remake a la Curse of Monkey Island. So I can't really be disappointed, just unsure how I really feel. I'm definitely glad that many more people are going to get to play what is my favorite game of all time.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Huh. I hadn't realized that was the reason the animations were so poor in the MI special editions. I had assumed they just went cheap. Probably would have been worth splitting off the classic mode and having improved animations, in retrospect. At least we got the voice work, though, which is what is really special about the SEs.

The thing is that the animation in the remake looked worse not even on par with the original IMHO.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Isn't that more what a single painted picture looks like, that doesn't have to take any constraints (source material, budget, target platforms, etc) in the project into consideration?

I wasn't clear, sorry, what i wanted to point was that a hand redrawn something:

a)will never look exactly the same as the original
b)thanks to the higher resolution it's possible to draw more details and effects

DOTT on the other hand looks exactly like the original and some details are washed out, like a filter was applied.

Maybe it's not 100% a filter work but for sure it's very far from being 100% drawn.

Not feeling the new look. Disappointed that it's just an upscaled look of the original rather than making it a tad more modern (artwise) for an HD version.

Basically... the original game is just as great as it is now with this new version, seems pointless.

Jobbs

Banned

I don't think DOTT is the result of an upscaling filter, or, at least, not soley the result of that. There's a lot of work in it that I don't think would come from a filter.

Quite possibly they started by filtering the assets into a higher res then drew over them to make corrections and additions.

RAIDEN1

How long does it take them to release this??? Its been talked about for months, its not as if they are building a new engine from the ground up....I'll be surprised if this comes out before Feb next year..

Toparaman

Banned
Looking good, my Vita is ready!

Day of the Tentacle was the first Lucasarts adventure not released on the Amiga, so I had to break down and get a PC to keep playing their games.

Does anybody still have their Lucasarts Adventurers? I miss the old days when we got manuals and stuff like this with our games.

The cover seems appropriate for the frenzy we're going through now.
dott1_zpsds4szxpi.jpg

dott2_zpsykkizsmi.jpg

dott3_zpssyvocubq.jpg

LucasArts was so cool back then.

Basically... the original game is just as great as it is now with this new version, seems pointless.

If you don't like the look, you have the old available as a switch.
At worst, this is the first proper re-release of a game everyone has been begging to be re-released.
At best, it also has an new remastered mode that
a) makes it easier for new players to appreciate it.
b) suits high resolution monitors/tv's better.
c) makes it available on Playstation platforms.
d) gives players who already played it an alternate mode.

Not sure how that qualifies as pointless.

Maybe it's not 100% a filter work but for sure it's very far from being 100% drawn.

How much is redrawn and how much is just effects is debatable, absolutely. I don't know the answers to that, and everything about the process would be very interesting to watch and/or read.

But my point was that you cannot point to a picture that is made without any restraints at all, and say "this is how it's done". That's not fair and it's not realistic.

Slaythe

This isn't redrawn at all.

They upres'd it with automatic vector conversion, then manually fixed details that were too blurred out.

And the reason it looks so bad on the old screenshot is because it's not the right aspect Ratio.

Just use Super Eagle on your ScummVM and you'll see it looks much closer to what DF is offering.

I insist they still fixed details manually, aka repainting / drawing some stuff that would have been lost in the conversion. But you can also tell they went the lazy way about it.

This is conversion + some things redrawn.

But....

It does look better than Monkey Island, which while not lazy, just looked completely amateurish and horrible.

Also there is one thing that is that, the DoTT art of back then, is incredible art. The anatomy and detail was amazing. Here it doesn't look bad but it doesn't compare to the good 2D adventure games like Deponia in stuff. While if the same team had made DoTT today, it would be on par.

eso76

If you don't like the look, you have the old available as a switch.
At worst, this is the first proper re-release of a game everyone has been begging to be re-released.
At best, it also has an new remastered mode that
a) makes it easier for new players to appreciate it.
b) suits high resolution monitors/tv's better.
c) makes it available on Playstation platforms.
d) gives players who already played it an alternate mode.

e) hopefully has touchscreen/touchpad optimised controls. Being able to tap on command and target would make it immensely more enjoyable already.

Hadoukie

Funny that I've never played this, but I played the original Maniac Mansion several times. Guess it's time to change that.

Slaythe

You known this, or you're just suspecting this?

I suspect.

I met Tim at PAX, he didn't want to share much, all he said was that "we have the original game assets, not all the artwork, we do our best to make it look good in HD".

My question was if they had the original drawings made for the game (that were more detailed, like monkey island 2).

But I'm a graphic artist.

This is not the result of art, but post process :

a0df8b395c80abce5ebe8b03b4b7ca28.png

34731604f93d07045889d57801308cbd.png

That greenish outline is the result of pre existing anti aliasing. It's very subtle and very high quality vector conversion.
And those gradients don't seem like they have been hand picked by an artist at all.

And on almost every animated objects in the game they did redraw it, tracing vector over the original and fixing some shapes.

Sadly, while it did make easily identified details better , it also left the new artist wondering what was going on, like here, what the hell is this :

Also, the black shadows are 99% identical to the existing ones, only a tad smoother.

Speaking of which, the characters cast no shadow.

Mifune

Mehmber
Guys, the art has been 100 percent redrawn and reanimated with the same number of frames. So stop with the upscale talk.

This info courtesy of James of Double Fine from Indiecade.

Also, the game comes out either Jan or Feb. and you can customize the interface. You can use the old verb bar or new verb wheel with either the upgraded or classic graphics.

Game looks fantastic in person.

Slaythe

Guys, the art has been 100 percent redrawn and reanimated with the same number of frames. So stop with the upscale talk.

This info courtesy of James of Double Fine from Indiecade.

Also, the game comes out either Jan or Feb. and you can customize the interface. You can use the old verb bar or new verb wheel with either the upgraded or classic graphics.

Game looks fantastic in person.

We didn't say it was upscaled.

We were talking about what they used to redraw the assets. While some of it has been done by hand, some are clearly done through automated vectors.

thespaff

Double Fine
Hi :)

I'm Double Fine's community manager (formerly Media Molecule!)
I just wanted to answer some questions for you :)

Does anyone as a wallpaper of the picture in the opening? It will be better without the logo.

Sure, here you go:

http://www.doublefine.com/images/uploads/dottremastered-wallpaper-2560-1440.png

About the verb interface... if removing it enables the aspect-ratio correct HD backgrounds to fill the screen then I'm all for it. It'd be better if this was toggle-able too.

You can use the verb interface with the new art, and you can use the new verb dial interface with the old art running full screen. We wanted the way you play the game to be as customizable as we could make it, so you can pick the way you want to play.

That includes two versions of music to toggle between too, one re-voiced version with more modern instruments, and one that we've tuned to sound as similar to a soundblaster from the 90s as possible.

And yes, those both use an emulated "iMuse" style dynamic music system!

AW YASSSSSS

Please have at least an option for the original pixel graphics or no buy though.

See above :)

I still hope that it contains the original Maniac Mansion as a bonus...

It does, it hasn't been remastered but it's in there and we hope to hook it up to cloud save.

Here are some screenshots for you :)
*edit, oh hmm not displaying, doesn't like PNGs perhaps?... well here are links :)

http://www.doublefine.com/images/uploads/dott-remastered-000.png
http://www.doublefine.com/images/uploads/dott-remastered-001.png
http://www.doublefine.com/images/uploads/dott-remastered-002.png
http://www.doublefine.com/images/uploads/dott-remastered-003.png
http://www.doublefine.com/images/uploads/dott-remastered-004.png
http://www.doublefine.com/images/uploads/dott-remastered-005a.png
http://www.doublefine.com/images/uploads/dott-remastered-005b.png

Slaythe

Thank you for all the informations !

May I ask a few things ?

1) RE VOICED? Original cast members ?!

2) As for the original art, is it showcasing intended aspect ratio ? Or is it stretched for 4/3 and/or 16/9 ?

thespaff

Double Fine
Thank you for all the informations !

May I ask a few things ?

1) RE VOICED? Original cast members ?!

2) As for the original art, is it showcasing intended aspect ratio ? Or is it stretched for 4/3 and/or 16/9 ?

By re-voiced, i mean the music - the instruments! The voice work is all the original, uncompressed and taken from the original DAT tape recordings.

The last two screenshots show you a cutscene, nothing is being stretched, just enlarged, and we've drawn in some extra artwork around the edges of the screen to make up for the 4:3 to 16:9 transition

There are actually very small black bars top and bottom of the screen to make sure the aspect ratio is correct, which aren't represented in these screenshots

Lucreto

So you are using the original voice files just getting rid of the 90's compression?

Will we get a trailer or gameplay video showing these changes in action?

Will Double Fine be at Paris Games Week or at the Sony conference on Tuesday or do we have to wait until PSX.

I need to confirm which version we're using, I'll find out!
Thanks. And just so you know, there are two DOS versions of the game. The first one, which I believe was used in DotT, had simpler graphics more in line with the Apple II and C64 versions, while the second was more in line with the nicer graphics and sound in the Atari ST and Amiga ports.

Yarbskoo

You can use the verb interface with the new art, and you can use the new verb dial interface with the old art running full screen. We wanted the way you play the game to be as customizable as we could make it, so you can pick the way you want to play.

That includes two versions of music to toggle between too, one re-voiced version with more modern instruments, and one that we've tuned to sound as similar to a soundblaster from the 90s as possible.

And yes, those both use an emulated "iMuse" style dynamic music system!

It does, it hasn't been remastered but it's in there and we hope to hook it up to cloud save.
The voice work is all the original, uncompressed and taken from the original DAT tape recordings.

I like the sound of all of this.

thespaff

Double Fine
So you are using the original voice files just getting rid of the 90's compression?

Will we get a trailer or gameplay video showing these changes in action?

Will Double Fine be at Paris Games Week or at the Sony conference on Tuesday or do we have to wait until PSX.

Rather than trying to clear up the old compressed voices we were lucky enough to have access to original voice recording sessions. This meant finding all the correct takes and chopping them out, which was a lot of work for our audio team but they did a great job :)

We'll be showing some gameplay / trailers soon-ish, it's very nearly ready we just have some things we want to tweak before we show it off in motion.

We're not at Paris Games week I'm afraid, however DOTT will be playable on Nov 7th at our Day of the Devs event in San Francisco, and then again at PSX.

http://www.dayofthedevs.com/

Slaythe

Did you add any frames for the animations of the HD mode or did you 1 : 1 it like for monkey island special edition ?

Hi :)

I'm Double Fine's community manager (formerly Media Molecule!)
I just wanted to answer some questions for you :)

:\ I hope they are paying you well for this. GAF is not kind nor rational when it comes to things like this.

Really looking forward to this SE btw. I tend to keep my expectations in check and therefore am happier for it.

Slaythe

:\ I hope they are paying you well for this. GAF is not kind nor rational when it comes to things like this.

Really looking forward to this SE btw. I tend to keep my expectations in check and therefore am happier for it.

It's about an adventure game. Adventure games fans are awesome, even on GAF.

:p

Are the rooms shown so far still WIP?

I'd have expected some more details in some of the room elements shown so far (Like the playing card in the jail scene I'd have thought would have a better impression of the suit at least, if not the number)

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
By re-voiced, i mean the music - the instruments! The voice work is all the original, uncompressed and taken from the original DAT tape recordings.

That is amazing.

There are far, far later games which have their original uncompressed recordings lost.... MGS1 and Silent Hill 1-3 come to mind. I have also heard doubt that the 2006 FFXII has it's original recordings intact.. though it may turn out to be fine when the HD version eventually surfaces.

RedAssedApe

Banned
hmm...some of those screenshots look odd. like the characters are floating on top of the background because of the lack of shadows. maybe it looks better in motion.

nice that we'll get this early 2016 though. seems about the same as the grim fandango timeframe. did development take about the same amount of time? sounds like they might be doing more work on this one

Top Bottom