• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Destructoid] Leaked photo of NX controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.
MKiZRJD.png

Did a quick mock up, obviously the scale is off because of the perspective of the original image but it looks like you wont even get full 16:9 frame in without obscuring it.

Surely they wouldn't obscure the main output of the console?

I've seen some very weird dev kits and prototypes over the years, so this could very well be real. As always though, the photo is shitty quality with lots of questionable areas so it's easy to cast doubt. Also, making something like that with a 3D Printer and Photoshop wouldn't be that hard for a dedicated person who wanted to fool the internet!

I guess we will find out soon if Nintendo release a one paragraph press release like they did with 3DS/Wii U :D

Jarmel

Banned
This is Nintendo doubling down on the Wii U if true. Almost all the major problems by he Wii U could possibly be present with the NX.

The_Lump

Banned
MKiZRJD.png

Did a quick mock up, obviously the scale is off because of the perspective of the original image but it looks like you wont even get full 16:9 frame in without obscuring it.

Urs looks taller than the image does, so that's why you aren't getting a 16:9 rectangle in it.

Papacheeks

Banned
They'd have a small amount of time to change the design before production begins. So no.

SO the pro controller your saying for Wii U was already in the works before some of the harsh reactions on the gamepad for core games?

Look at how last minute changes happen for steam controller was within 6 months of it's release if memory serves me right.

BahamutPT

Possibly. But these sticks seem more raised than 3DS.

I guess I'm thinking more from Pro controller layout perspective (buttons below/side of sticks rather than Dual Shock or Xbone pad (above)

Graphics Horse is correct, so the original idea and "leak" could actually work:

Furthermore, when the touch panel 16 is being touched, the finger having touched is brought into contact to the operation stick (18a, 18b), and the operation stick (18a, 18b) may be tilted. In such a case, in addition to the direction input of the first operation stick 18a or the second operation stick 18b, the touch input of the touch panel 16 is applied.

Therefore, in this embodiment, in a case where the direction input of the first operation stick 18a and/or the second operation stick 18b is receivable and the touch input of the touch panel 16 is also receivable, by invalidating the input received later, information processing corresponding to the operation that the player does not intend is not performed.

That is, when the touch input of the touch panel 16 is applied in a state where the direction input of at least one of the first operation stick 18a and the second operation stick 18b is applied, the touch input is invalidated. In this embodiment, the touch coordinate data based on a touch input is deleted. Therefore, the information processing is not performed based on the touch input.

The patent then goes on to mention how it applies only to a certain coordinate range depending on which stick is moved and how it is moved.

I still think it's less pixel-wasting and better looking to have the layout in a reverse Wii-U configuration :p

Papacheeks

Banned
Yo, how can you see buttons with your eyes so pressed.

Man, people get really serious in these threads...

Because people want Nintendo to do well this time with their console. A lot is riding on this. If your here to troll, then I guess fine, but some people like myself are concerned.

If this isn't fake and is final design for controller, we know a lot of people will not gravitate towards this, especially ones who already are into controller based gaming.

The_Lump

Banned

The patent then goes on to mention how it applies only to a certain coordinate range depending on which stick is moved and how it is moved.

I still think it's less pixel-wasting and better looking to have the layout in a reverse Wii-U configuration :p

Oh cool, nice spot.

Yeah I guess either could work then.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Weird thing about the shot is the ancient Wacom Bamboo tablet that's in the shot. I've got the same one and it was dirt cheap and it's at least 10 years old.

No-one in any professional capacity would actually still use that thing.

Edit: The model is most likely the Wacom Graphire4 without the plastic cover.

BossLackey

Gold Member
I really hope this is fake.

If it isn't, what the fuck is Nintendo's obsession with stupid controller designs lately?

NES - Great controller. Simple and effective.
SNES - Even better! Ergonomic, great button placement. Just makes sense.
N64 - ...okay, that's kind of strange. I only have 2 hands but whatever.
GameCube - This is alright. Analog shoulder buttons are cool, but the facebuttons are weird.
Wii - Should have renamed it the Nintendo Waggle Gimmick.
Wii U - Why look at the TV when you can look at your lap?

Not that i want it to be real (im on the fence for this one) but its going to be really funny reading this thread if this ends up being real, is comfortable when you get it on the hands, people start to like it and sells well in the end.

Its not the first time a super negative internet reaction turns into good sales and the general public liking it.

Boogdud

And yes, the bezel is quite nice. While many posters here seem to fear the lack of buttons, I think once it is fully explained, it is something that many people would be compelled to try. Especially if haptics are a go.

It might compel people to try it at a best buy or something, but if it uses haptic buttons it's going to take the majority of folks and about 30 seconds to say "nope".

If it uses haptic buttons, the controller is going to have to lock your hands/fingers in place in order to keep your fingers from slipping out of alignment (because you have no physical feedback to guide you back). If it does lock your hands in place it's going to be uncomfortable for a lot of people.

Haptics are a neat idea but it's not practical. It's doing something for the sake of doing it. They're a compromise, not a benefit.

mindsale

MKiZRJD.png

This. It'll be really strange if they obscure their aspect ratio (not even accounting for physical analog stick placement).

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
2e6465736f707865206e65656220544f4e206576616820646c756f68732073696854

Weird thing about the shot is the ancient Wacom Bamboo tablet that's in the shot. I've got the same one and it was dirt cheap and it's at least 10 years old.

No-one in any professional capacity would actually still use that thing.
So it's Nintendo level tech then!

Seriously, if this is real it seems incredibly odd. Hype to know what Nintendo is up to rising...

beril

Why are people talking about a console controller though? The image looks more like a handheld, and the leaker/faker never said anything about a console. It could be either or both, but the more logical conclusion is that it's a handheld.

That patent reminds me: "The first part of the party of the first part shall be known in this contract as the first part of the party of the first part shall be known in this contract"

The_Lump

Banned
This. It'll be really strange if they obscure their aspect ratio (not even accounting for physical analog stick placement).

The device in the picture/patent is not as tall as this one, so you can fit 16:9 or even wider in the middle of the sticks no problem.

If it isn't, what the fuck is Nintendo's obsession with stupid controller designs lately?

GameCube - This is alright. Analog shoulder buttons are cool, but the facebuttons are weird.

The Wii U gamepad is a traditional controller with the added benefits of the DS's second screen which, whats not to like? Also the Wii remote was great and influenced many of the Virtual Reality controllers we're seeing today. Nintendo's controller designs have not be an issue, their marketing has.

There is nothing to suggest this is for a controller rather than the handheld if you ignore the headlines. The original patent was quite clear it was a handheld design primarily, even had a card slot. For whatever reason (the handles?) the article writers decided to tell everyone it was a contriller.

Kodaman

Because people want Nintendo to do well this time with their console. A lot is riding on this. If your here to troll, then I guess fine, but some people like myself are concerned.

If this isn't fake and is final design for controller, we know a lot of people will not gravitate towards this, especially ones who already are into controller based gaming.

While the design it's weird, it's a relatively traditional controller... It could have buttons like many post have explained (according to the patent)... so no reason to worry about that.
Ergonomics? people really think that Nintendo wouldn't consider that factor?

That is what I don't get.. people can't seem to go a little beyond the photo. They see it and go crazy with hyperbolic statements..

And most of all... it's probably fake.

Rosti's cat must be walking across the keyboard again.

Edit: "It shouldn't have been exposed" maybe meaning that's not the final version. Or that's what I'm hoping anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom