• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alcohol drinks are gross

Status
Not open for further replies.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Konka said:
Guess what? I'd be shocked if you could find somebody who likes alcohol when they first start drinking.

so if i keep practicing i'll get good at it? i better keep chasing this dream

Konka

Banned
beelzebozo said:

That's exactly the way it works. I despised alcohol when I first started drinking but now I love it and putting the work in was well worth it. Nothing better than a great IPA mmmmm.

Big-E

beelzebozo said:

I am sure the first time you had vegetables your probably thought they were disgusting too.

Rew

Second said:
I really can't stand the taste of alcohol. All drinks with alcohol in it are gross imo.

Beer - gross
Wodka - disgusting
Wine - gross
Random sweet alcohol drink - gross
Champagne - drinkable, but still tastes bad

Even the smell of alcohol makes me feel bad. I'm 25 years old and have tasted many alcohol drinks in my life. Do I have to learn to like alcohol by drinking more of it or am I just lucky that I don't like it? I just don't understand how people can drink so much of it. And in the end they'll only embarrass themselves by being drunk and acting stupid.

Am I the only one in GAF who doesn't like the taste of alcohol???

I agree with you. I can not stand the taste of alcohol, in anything, and haven't had a drink in years.

Retro

JoeMartin said:
Gin.

Hit all the usuals: Beefeater, Tanqueray, Sapphire, and of course Hendricks. Make martinis and g&t's, or drink it straight, see what you like. Gin is underappreciated.

Hear Hear! GAF Gin-drinkers, UNITE!

Konka said:
That's exactly the way it works. I despised alcohol when I first started drinking but now I love it and putting the work in was well worth it. Nothing better than a great IPA mmmmm.

My first alcohol was a bottle of Seagram's Gin, and it was love at our first juniper-soaked kiss. And Seagrams isn't exactly high on the list of quality gins (but damn good for the price).

Alcohol is just one of those things that some people enjoy and others don't. There's an awful lot of "Alcohol is poison!" (you sound like my Muslim uncle pitching a fit that the wine is sitting too close to him at the fucking Olive Garden) and a lot of "People who don't drink are missing out!" in this thread.

Bottom line; try new things, you might like them.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Big-E said:
I am sure the first time you had vegetables your probably thought they were disgusting too.

i actually think i've always liked vegetables, but i question the validity of the comparison between learning to enjoy vegetables--one of the most indisputable healthy things for a human being in the entire world--and learning to like alcohol, which is a double-edged sword at best. why would i try so hard?

Konka

Banned
beelzebozo said:
i actually think i've always liked vegetables, but i question the validity of the comparison between learning to enjoy vegetables--one of the most indisputable healthy things for a human being in the entire world--and learning to like alcohol, which is a double-edged sword at best. why would i try so hard?

I dunno, I can just say the payoff is worth it. Alcohol is one of the broadest culinary groups and it would suck to miss out on all the unique flavors. I remember when I hated it and that was back when I was a teenager, it was worth it.

Snuggler said:
Beer is the greatest invention of man kind. It takes a little time to acquire the taste, especially if you're used to sugary drinks, but a good beer after a long day of work is nothing short of godly.

Very true! Granted I'm not drinking as much since I'm on a diet now.

I should also add it makes watching MST3K, Chinese Kung Fu and HK action movies, and 1980s Action Movies even better!

Big-E

beelzebozo said:

I only brought up the vegetable thing because for many people, they grow to like vegetables. Most kids won't eat hardly any greens but that changes as they grow. Alcohol can be that way for some people but it doesn't necessarily have to. Not like alcohol is always something I have a difficult time relating too as it is a part of my culture. With the huge variety of alcohol out there I find it strange that someone can not like any of it.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i typically find that alcohol as an INGREDIENT works for me. so, as i said, i find something endearing about the taste of fruitcake--even if it is a bit rummy--and the complexity deglazing with a splash of red wine brings beef stew is sublime. but you'll never see me turn up a beer and say, "wow. . . great beer." i just don't really like it that much.

and i got your comparison. it's all good. it's actually a fairly good one, regarding the developing of a palate for something. i just have tried several times over and it never "calls to me." as a man driven by culinary impulses and cravings, it's never something i sit around and salivate for, so i just sip other things.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
zoukka said:
Yeah because like... you can't have fun while being drunk :lol

Getting rid of your inhibitions instantly in a nice company is really relaxing and fun. Often leads to nice outcomes :b And let's skip the "can't you have fun as sober" bullshit. I've had my best experiences as sober, but being drunk is a different thing. It really can open you up in a healthy way. Or the bad way if the company is shady and you are wasted :b

Without booze I never would've had the courage to start dancing in public for instance. If you can, ALL the power to you. But I'm sure many people can't just snap their fingers and lose all inhibitions just like that.

Trying to be friendly here.

So can a little bit of X.

I first had some beer real young and it was so bad. I can count on one hand how many i've put down since. I haven't tried any of the ritzy shit though.

Piano

Banned
If you are social at college, you learn to deal with the taste of alcohol. If you dwell in your room, you don't.

Konka

Banned
TheEastonator said:
If you are social at college, you learn to deal with the taste of alcohol. If you dwell in your room, you don't.

Yeah really. Kegs of natty ice got me over the whole taste thing.:lol

Majmun

Konka said:
We've been drinking for as long as we've had organized society in fact I'd hazard a guess that without alcohol we'd be nowhere near as civilized.

Sorry what? :lol

Doesn't the majority of the people who drink alcohol drink it just to get drunk? And how do people act when they're wasted?

Not so smart...

How many people commited a crime while being drunk? I think alcohol is one of the things that has ruined our civilization. Not saved it...lol.

You can have a nice drink with a friend at a bar(positive), and get killed by a carcrash because you were drunk while driving the car(negative). How many times has that happened? Alcohol's power to ruin is bigger than it's power to do a good thing.
Nowhere near as civilized without alcohol? my ass..

Konka

Banned
Second said:

Doesn't the majority of the people who drink alcohold drink it just to get drunk? And how do people act when they're wasted?

Not so smart...

How many people commited a crime while being drunk? I think alcohol is one of the things that has ruined our civilization. Not saved it...lol.

You can have a nice drink with a friend at a bar, and get killed by a carcrash because you were drunk while driving the car. How many times has that happened? Alcohol's power to ruin is bigger than it's power to do a good thing.
Nowhere near as civilized without alcohol my ass.

Alcohol more often than not brings people together. Bars and alcohol have been of huge economic importance forever. It's a huge industry and smarter people tend to drink more.

The ability to unwind with alcohol has no doubt been of huge importance. Unless you're going to argue that a part of society as old as bread isn't important.:lol

Majmun

Konka said:
Alcohol more often than not brings people together. Bars and alcohol have been of huge economic importance forever. It's a huge industry and smarter people tend to drink more.

The ability to unwind with alcohol has no doubt been of huge importance. Unless you're going to argue that a part of society as old as bread isn't important.:lol

People bring people together, not alcohol. Do you go out to meet people or just drink alcohol?

:lol @ smarter people tend to drink more. Say that to the ones who have overdosed on alcohol.

BowieZ

Banned
OP: Have you ever tried mixing your own drink? As in, putting a very small shot (of vodka or whatever) in a medium glass of lemonade or coke or -- whatever?

Straight liquor makes me gag like anyone else but you just have to find that 'sweet spot' where the taste is bearable to you.

Majmun

BowieZ said:
OP: Have you ever tried mixing your own drink? As in, putting a very small shot (of vodka or whatever) in a medium glass of lemonade or coke or -- whatever?

Straight liquor makes me gag like anyone else but you just have to find that 'sweet spot' where the taste is bearable to you.

Yeah I've tried everything since I was 15-16 years old. But I just don't seem to like any alcohol drinks so far.
I don't seem to be allergic to alcohol. But my body dislikes it for some reason...

Piano

Banned
BowieZ said:
and then work your way up from there. Within a year you'll be able to take it straight.

Konka

Banned
Second said:
People bring people together, not alcohol. Do you go out to meet people or just drink alcohol?

:lol @ smarter people tend to drink more. Say that to the ones who have overdosed on alcohol.

Alcohol removes inhibitions which tend to allow people to open up to each other more.

The way somebody acts when they are drunk is a real look into the deeper parts of that persons mind. There is nobody more honest than a drunk person.

-PXG-

g35twinturbo said:
Gentlemans Jack in the house when I feel like being nice

Jack Daniels when im trying to get fucked up.

You and my dad need to have a talk. If you got a PhD in political science and like the Chicago Cubs, man, two peas in a pod :lol

Korey

Snuggler said:
Beer is the greatest invention of man kind. It takes a little time to acquire the taste, especially if you're used to sugary drinks, but a good beer after a long day of work is nothing short of godly.

This is what I don't get about beer, everyone says it's an acquired taste, but why is that? I keep trying to get into it but it's tough...why does it take time to get used to and then suddenly it turns "godly"?

Konka

Banned
Korey said:
This is what I don't get about beer, everyone says it's an acquired taste, but why is that? I keep trying to get into it but it's tough...why does it take time to get used to and then suddenly it turns "godly"?

It's the same as coffee and generally anything that is bitter. It as a taste isn't really something you've ever been introduced to your entire life until that point so of course it is going to take a while to get used to. Had you been raised on beer it would taste no worse to you than anything you were raised on in your life.

There are food delicacies on this planet that would make you vomit several times over but they are amazing to the native creators of that dish. Any alcohol is just like that because you've lived so long without it that it takes time to get accustomed too.

Retro

Konka said:
It's the same as coffee and generally anything that is bitter. It as a taste isn't really something you've ever been introduced to your entire life until that point so of course it is going to take a while to get used to. Had you been raised on beer it would taste no worse to you than anything you were raised on in your life.

There are food delicacies on this planet that would make you vomit several times over but they are amazing to the native creators of that dish. Any alcohol is just like that because you've lived so long without it that it takes time to get accustomed too.

Minor Addition; the human tongue tastes salty, sweet, and sour to detect health food from unhealthy. To tell rotting meat from safe meat. Bitter is no exception, but bitter is generally attuned to the alkali of toxic plants. We, as humans, are usually perfectly fine with sweet and salty, and even sour on occasion. Bitter, however, still sends up red flags to our brain as poison, thus why many people have very bad first reactions with beer. The 'getting used to it' period is simply your brain realizing that beer is not poison (contrary to some of the opinions in this thread :D )

Konka

Banned
Retro said:
Minor Addition; the human tongue tastes salty, sweet, and sour to detect health food from unhealthy. To tell rotting meat from safe meat. Bitter is no exception, but bitter is generally attuned to the alkali of toxic plants. We, as humans, are usually perfectly fine with sweet and salty, and even sour on occasion. Bitter, however, still sends up red flags to our brain as poison, thus why many people have very bad first reactions with beer. The 'getting used to it' period is simply your brain realizing that beer is not poison (contrary to some of the opinions in this thread :D )

Yeah and some people here have made it seem like it's such a terrible process to get used to it. Get a case of some decent beer, say Sam Adams and have one with dinner and after not too long you'll start to enjoy it and then you can move on to the even more delicious beers.

I swear I used to hate beer to death.

mantidor

Second said:

Doesn't the majority of the people who drink alcohol drink it just to get drunk? And how do people act when they're wasted?

Not so smart...

You can have a nice drink with a friend at a bar(positive), and get killed by a carcrash because you were drunk while driving the car(negative). How many times has that happened? Alcohol's power to ruin is bigger than it's power to do a good thing.

I have to say, you honestly come up as someone who hates alcohol more from your upbringing or social experience than the actual taste of it. Alcohol is as old as humanity, trying to blame the "fall of civilization" on alcohol is silly. Its not like everything was paradise and alcohol fell upon humanity to destroy it, alcohol has always been there, what we do with it is something up to every different society, old and new, whether is in your country or somewhere else.

And again, the variety out there is huge, actually huge is an understatement, people now mention the bitterness but there's plenty of alcoholic beverages that are extremely sweet, Manichewiz(sp?) comes to mind.

And no, most people don't drink alcohol just to get drunk, in places like Europe sometimes is just expected to have wine with a meal.

Immortal_Daemon said:
If you're drinking alcohol for the taste, you're doing it wrong.

Ladies and gentlemen, we might have a new champion for "single most wrong thing ever posted on GAF". Bravo Immortal_Daemon, bravo.

Big-E said:
Perrier I find is the absolute worst when it comes to mineral water. So many better brands out there. Perrier is actually the only mineral water I won't drink.

It isn't normal to not order wine at a fine restaurant.

So there are people who would think you are a lesser person for not drinking alcohol?

dralla

goldschlager_prodpic.jpg

Amakusa

Konka said:
Guess what? I'd be shocked if you could find somebody who likes alcohol when they first start drinking.

^^
that x 2

The only Alcohol that taste good are bitch drinks, I enjoy a drink here and there, but I've never taken a shot of Volka and said to myself, "What a fine tastey drink this is"

Hell no, the stuff taste like something you'd rub over a open wound. Now after about 3-4 shots.. it doesn't taste as bad ; )

Don't be one of those people thats like, Alcohol doesn't work on me, thats why I don't drink it. NOOOOO U!!!

Tell that chick you're trying to pick up the truth, "I don't drink because I don't like the way it taste" She may follow up with "Well let me order you a bitch drink, like the one I'm enjoying"

Combine

Banned
It's a very interesting subject for me. As some of you may have seen from my exploits in the girl thread, I have a very indifferent view towards alcohol. I used to be someone who despised it for a long time (along with a great many other things) after some very not nice experiences in college. I was kept pretty far away from alcohol growing up so it never really entered my life until I did go away to college for that one time.

I no longer will be "ah, I hate alcohol and everything about it!", heh, quite hypocritical now since I use wine for cooking. :lol

Still, I won't go seeking it out or craving it, and the only reason I drink it now is really just to not feel out of place and try to please others (even though it still doesn't do anything for me). It's probably because, as was said earlier, you kind of have to enjoy being drunk to enjoy it more, and I really really don't enjoy being drunk because for me, it's a super-depression. And I'm also non too comfortable being around drunk people as well. They kinda freak me out.

Dogenzaka

Banned
travisbickle said:
This is getting silly now!!

OP what is your diet like? Is it varied? or do you just eat a range of bland processed foods everyday?

You may be put off because alcohol actually works your tastebuds and gives different sensations.

I love alcohol for its taste, don't drink to get drunk, I'll usually have one or two glasses, obviously it has an effect but I never drink till I fall over.

Okay the elitism over this is just fucking ridiculous.

Enjoy your beer guts and cirrhosis, jerks. :(

Quake1028

Second said:
I really can't stand the taste of alcohol. All drinks with alcohol in it are gross imo.

Beer - gross
Wodka - disgusting
Wine - gross
Random sweet alcohol drink - gross
Champagne - drinkable, but still tastes bad

Even the smell of alcohol makes me feel bad. I'm 25 years old and have tasted many alcohol drinks in my life. Do I have to learn to like alcohol by drinking more of it or am I just lucky that I don't like it? I just don't understand how people can drink so much of it. And in the end they'll only embarrass themselves by being drunk and acting stupid.

Am I the only one in GAF who doesn't like the taste of alcohol???

One day your balls will drop.

esquire

Has waited diligently to think of something to say before making this post
dralla said:

Just looking at that bottle makes me want to vomit my fucking guts out.

Fordzilla said:
Jagerbombs and/or Sparks.

Maybe. I don't like Sparks and you can't really sip a Jagerbomb, can you? I just imagine it looking ridiculous.

MaxSteel said:
if it's really a problem, make redbull and vodka your drink

Tried that and just a straight energy drink to give me a boost but it really doesn't help me.

In general, I try to avoid sugary drinks. My go to drink is gin and tonic or whiskey neat. If it's going to be beer, it's Stella or Fat Tire.

For the most part, being able to enjoy drinking alcohol--or at the very least, not hate it--is a crucial ingredient to being a more social person. Not only in the frat party sense, but at dinner parties, having a drink with a woman, or a long night of great conversation with another person or a small group. Drinking truly does loosen most people up (sometimes too much or in a bad way) and bring people closer together.

In my experience, the people who hate drinking, think it's gross and/or stupid, tend to be introverts and otherwise more socially awkward than those who can enjoy drinking. This, obviously, isn't true for everyone. Two of my closest, funnest, and coolest friends used to be in that camp. However, they eventually started liking alcohol and only became more cool and fun.

Perhaps it is a shame that alcohol is in someways a necessity to reaching your full social potential, but it does make sense. Most people are guarded, consciously and self-consciously. Alcohol, even after a drink or two, starts bringing down those barriers, which is how a lot of bonds are made.

As for the taste, it is something that you have to build a taste for. Technically, alcohol is a poison and our brains are wired to warn us of anything that might cause damage. It takes a little while to train (trick?) our brains to except alcohol. Kind of like roller coaster rides or haunted houses, I guess.

I love, love, love beer now after mostly just tolerating it. Same with wine (Two Buck Chuck!). I still hate dark liquors (gold tequila, and especially whiskey, bourbon, etc.). With tequila, I just had a bad experience with it (half a bottle of Cabo Wabo...) and now simply cannot stomach it. With whiskey, bourbon, scotch, I just haven't tried to develop a taste for it. I can take a shot of it, but god damn does it burn. I have a few cocktails that I love, but I generally now stick to beer, shots, and wine.

Yeef

I don't care for alcohol either. I'm not averse to drinking once in a blue moon and the few times that I have drunk I never had any problem holding my liquor, but honestly I don't really see much point in drinking alcohol. To me it doesn't taste too good and I have few inhibitions to begin with. For me personally though, outside of social reasons, I see little purpose for indulgence.

pjberri

Crotchety Old Man
Second said:

Not so smart...

You're just fucking ignorant, and I'm assuming very young.

There is a richness and complexity in taste found in many alcoholic beverages that can't be matched elsewhere. Great food is one of the best things in life, and one of our strongest cultural influences. The same can be said of alcohol.

If you don't like the taste of alcohol, you are missing out. I can't imagine going to dinner and having a fucking Coke or whatever it is you drink.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom