• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption - 360 & PS3 comparison (Bish-approved!)

CozMick said:
Man Furismo Jive it is then? :lol

:lol

kbboom.jpg

DogWelder

I love this statement and its variations:

"I feel sorry for you guys who can't enjoy a game without nitpicking at the graphical details."

I feel sorry for you guys for being blind.

skyfinch said:
I'll take the one with less birds. Distracting, noisy lil' fuckers. Every god damn morning outside my window!
Each first time I see a bird in a video game I try to shoot it down. (MGS + Stinger + Crows = Win).

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
esc said:

"I feel sorry for you guys who can't enjoy a game without nitpicking at the graphical details."

Don't worry, there's plenty of pity to go around.

Vinci

Danish
esc said:

The lack of extreme emphasis on presentation does not make someone blind. It means they value other qualities of the game that are still intact and those qualities are not offset by the lessened PQ. Your mileage my vary, obviously - and if it's something that does, in fact, render the version worthless to you, then I do 'feel sorry for you' if you're unable to play the title.

JaxJag

Banned
It sort of amazes me that the 360 came out a full year ahead of the PS3, and here we are almost 5 years later and multiplatform games still tend to look better on the 360.

Microsoft must have done a pretty amazing job designing the hardware.

CozMick

Banned
JaxJag said:
It sort of amazes me that the 360 came out a full year ahead of the PS3, and here were are almost 5 years later and multiplatform games still tend to look better on the 360.

$2,000,000,000 says no

DogWelder

Vinci said:
The lack of extreme emphasis on presentation does not make someone blind. It means they value other qualities of the game that are still intact and those qualities are not offset by the lessened PQ. Your mileage my vary, obviously - and if it's something that does, in fact, render the version worthless to you, then I do 'feel sorry for you' if you're unable to play the title.
I wasn't talking about what people valued. I was referring to the fact that people seem to think sub-HD vs 720p is a "minor" difference. Maybe if you don't have an HD TV or monitor, sure. I still buy sub-HD titles, but the difference in this case is apparent.

Edit: It was in the context of this thread specifically.

JaxJag

Banned
CozMick said:
$2,000,000,000 says no
Well, I don't mean from a durability standpoint obviously.

I just find it amazing, especially considering all the Xbox 1.5 talk.

I even remember Sony calling the 360 a Xbox 1.5.

CozMick

Banned
JaxJag said:
Well, I don't mean from a durability standpoint obviously.

I just find it amazing, especially considering all the Xbox 1.5 talk.

I even remember Sony calling the 360 a Xbox 1.5.

I was making a funny......and failed :p

Yeah it's a neat bit of kit when the third party is concerned.

This game has the same washed out look that GTA IV had on Ps3... It looks like I'm going to wait for a big price drop before picking up my Ps3 version, used or new.

I'm not going to pay full price for a multiplatform game that looks significantly worse in 20fucking10, I'm just not. It's time for Rockstar to learn, goddamnit.

JaxJag said:
It sort of amazes me that the 360 came out a full year ahead of the PS3, and here we are almost 5 years later and multiplatform games still tend to look better on the 360.

Indeed! Microsoft has done a lot of things right with the 360. While it may not have the peak performance of the PS3, it has a much less complicated hardware structure, enabling devs to get good performance out of it easily. This is supported by great tools. Reminds me of DC/PS2 times.

f@luS

More than a member.
JaxJag said:

this game has been in developpement since the 360 was available. no wonder

Pimpbaa

Come on people. The ps3 version ain't that bad. I have the 360 version but if my 360 died and I had to get the ps3 version, I wouldn't mind too much.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Know what makes this thread suck? People complaining that the thread exists and chastising all the people making comparisons and drawing conclusions, not "fanboys taking things too seriously when they should just plaaaay gaaaames, maaaan."

Ban wave incoming.

Majine

Banned
I seem to fail in finding a decent PS3 gameplay videos on the internet. Either it's the official trailers, Offscreen, or 360 gameplay. Halp.

Majine said:
I seem to fail in finding a decent PS3 gameplay videos on the internet. Either it's the official trailers, Offscreen, or 360 gameplay. Halp.

I think a lot of the reviews were done with the 360 version (most of the ones I've read at least) so a lot of the HD stuff is going to be that. None of the stuff on youtube and such is that great of quality.

Honestly, if you want to play it neither system is bad and just go with where your posse will be!

So I purchased the PS3 version and I am in love with the game. My only disappointment is the jaggies. Is the 360 version truly that different even if I am not playing on an HDMI capable system? If it is I will go and exchange the PS3 for the 360 version. Just need some input from you helpful folks.

Loudninja

LovingSteam said:
So I purchased the PS3 version and I am in love with the game. My only disappointment is the jaggies. Is the 360 version truly that different even if I am not playing on an HDMI capable system? If it is I will go and exchange the PS3 for the 360 version. Just need some input from you helpful folks.
If you enjoying it why exchange it?

JaxJag

Banned
LovingSteam said:
I'm playing on the 360 through a HDMI cable running at 1080p.

But the game looks very clean, almost no jaggies.

I guess the component cable and lower resolution could be some of the cause of it..

Mad_Ban

How "bad" is the framerate on the PS3? I'm quite picky with framerates and erratic (Dragon Age PS3) ones bother me, is RDR like that at all? I can put up with dips in cities/towns.

JaxJag said:

Oohh but they did , lets run that chipset to the max and beyond until the heat is on and lights a flashing , we will fix that damn cooling later .

Anyways ,

I will hunt the shops tomorrow for the 360 version although I already ordered and paid for the PS3 version which will now be exclusively for online friends butchering , 360 for Single player and to gaze at the beautiful environment .
Maybe play SP as a total and perverted bastard on one and sickening saint on the other version .

Loudninja said:
If you enjoying it why exchange?

Because if one system doesn't have the amount of jaggies that the other has, I wouldn't be losing anything but gaining more sharpness visually. Not sure if its that drastic of a difference though especially on an non-HDMI system.

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Does Gamestop allow opened copies of games to be exchanged, but for a different platform :p? I didn't realize the huge difference in detail..

I just called. If you have the Special Edition for PS3 you won't be able to receive the same for the 360. But they will swap.

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Interesting. Thanks for letting me know!

No problem man. If you exchange in the next couple of days please let me know your experience. I am so close to doing it but two things are stopping me: 1) I have 6 hours invested on the PS3 and don't want to start over; and 2) My system isn't HDMI compatible so I am not sure if the jaggies will still be on the 360 version.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
30 people axed.

Treat this thread like it's inherently a cesspool and it'll be a cesspool, but it'll be due to the "LOL GAMEFAQS GUYS" and "LOL 4CHANNERS IN THIS THREAD" and "WOW THIS THREAD IS RIDICULOUS GO PLAY GAMES GUYZ," not people trying to make an accurate assessment of the differences in a multiplatform release.

Takuan

EviLore said:
30 people axed.

Treat this thread like it's inherently a cesspool and it'll be a cesspool, but it'll be due to the "LOL GAMEFAQS GUYS" and "LOL 4CHANNERS IN THIS THREAD" and "WOW THIS THREAD IS RIDICULOUS GO PLAY GAMES GUYZ," not people trying to make an accurate assessment of the differences in a multiplatform release.
Casualty list, please.

How "bad" is the framerate on the PS3? I'm quite picky with framerates and erratic (Dragon Age PS3) ones bother me, is RDR like that at all? I can put up with dips in cities/towns.
This is what I'd like to know, but "bad" is subjective. Safe bet is to wait for the digitalfoundry comparison. I'm certain they're working on that as I type this.

I can deal with a dip to the low-20s when action gets hectic, nothing more than that.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Takuan said:
Casualty list, please.

Ranger X
LordPhoque
Verapamil
scoobs
Billy Mitchell
Tom Penny
reKon
NHale
White Sharingan
Fix The Scientist
Timbuktu
Jtones
Otrebor Nightmarecoat
lethial
Launch
wizword
Felix Lighter
jaypah
SamBa
WickedLaharl
CozMick
DMPrince
RandomVince
acevans2
KratosKilla
Duke Togo
UFRA
Esteban

Lots of juniors not coming back.

Omiee

hey guys the game still doesnt come out here so i still have a day to decide.
my question is, on your tv u have the option for sharpness or something could that make a difference for the ps3 version being a little blurry
also if i dont care about graphics and only about framerate, how does that compare to the 360 version cuz i realy dont wanna search 100 pages =P

LovingSteam said:
No problem man. If you exchange in the next couple of days please let me know your experience. I am so close to doing it but two things are stopping me: 1) I have 6 hours invested on the PS3 and don't want to start over; and 2) My system isn't HDMI compatible so I am not sure if the jaggies will still be on the 360 version.

Didn't Magnus compare the 360 version on Component with the HDMI PS3 version in the original thread and found less jaggies on the 360 ?

CaseyTappy said:
Didn't Magnus compare the 360 version on Component with the HDMI PS3 version in the original thread and found less jaggies on the 360 ?

Hmm I think you're right. Thanks for reminding me. I will tell you, being the decisive bastard that I am is simply not fun lol.

Mad_Ban

EviLore said:
Ranger X
LordPhoque
Verapamil
scoobs
Billy Mitchell
Tom Penny
reKon
NHale
White Sharingan
Fix The Scientist
Timbuktu
Jtones
Otrebor Nightmarecoat
lethial
Launch
wizword
Felix Lighter
jaypah
SamBa
WickedLaharl
CozMick
DMPrince
RandomVince
acevans2
KratosKilla
Duke Togo
UFRA
Esteban

I pity your ban finger. You'll be getting RSI soon if we have any more threads like this. :p

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Omiee said:
hey guys the game still doesnt come out here so i still have a day to decide.
my question is, on your tv u have the option for sharpness or something could that make a difference for the ps3 version being a little blurry
also if i dont care about graphics and only about framerate, how does that compare to the 360 version cuz i realy dont wanna search 100 pages =P

You can raise your TV's sharpness but if the textures are inherently blurry it's not gonna do much to the image quality, the PS3 version uses QAA which is prone to making the entire screen a lot blurry than standard MSAA.

On the frame rate, many people have said it's better than GTA IV, but some have also said it's noticeably bad compared to the 360. So if you played and lived with the PS3 version of GTA IV, this is definitely better than that.

You know I for one am amazed that Rockstar can make the game look this good on such underpowered tech. Wonder what is looks like on there PCs. . .drools*

Risette

A Good Citizen
LovingSteam said:
The difference between HDMI and component is pretty subtle. Mostly just color differences. The image quality (as in, jaggies and stuff) isn't much different if at all.

Chrange

Banned
EviLore said:
Ranger X
LordPhoque
Verapamil
scoobs
Billy Mitchell
Tom Penny
reKon
NHale
White Sharingan
Fix The Scientist
Timbuktu
Jtones
Otrebor Nightmarecoat
lethial
Launch
wizword
Felix Lighter
jaypah
SamBa
WickedLaharl
CozMick
DMPrince
RandomVince
acevans2
KratosKilla
Duke Togo
UFRA
Esteban

mjwimd.jpg

I'd have done it better, but I'm at work :lol

Loudninja

Mad_Ban said:
Jim said:
It seriously doesn't. Having played every 360 and PS3 version of GTAIV + expansions and now RDR, I think the PS3 version looks quite good still. It's certainly not blurry like the original GTAIV, it's crisp in comparison (more like BoGT), and the framerate is way better.

I end up keeping the PS3 version. It's not that dramatic at all. But continue.

EviLore said:
PS3 version has framerate drops, but average framerate is much higher than GTAIV. Image quality, though, is just as bad. It's a shimmery, blurry mess.

The framerate sound much better than GTA4.

Top Bottom