• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VANQUISH |OT| Bullet Ballet performed by the London Awesome orchestra

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Linkzg said:
The only thing surprising about the length of the game is how long RE4 and God Hand were. Both were quite long for the types of games they were. Vanquish's length seems closer to PN03's.

That said, the combined time I played the two Vanquish demos was something like six to eight hours. I only stopped because it was getting ridiculous and I needed to save it for the full game. It's a bit like Mirror's Edge for me.
Bayonetta, Vanquish and Mirror's Edge have those rare demos that I just play and play and play. It's weird.

Now I feel like ME2.

Macintosh360

Neo Member
Shurs said:
They gave it an 8.9

Edit: Wow! If you look up "7 to 10 scale" in a dictionary, they would reference Planet Xbox 360.

http://www.planetxbox360.com/articleslist/reviews

With more and more sites going to a 5 or 10 point scale you do notice less variability with a 100 point scale, it's just impossible to give something that deserves a 8.9 a 8 because of the implications - just the way they do things over there....no conspiracy!

And I agree 4-6 hours is REALLY short, even so I'm sure you could stretch it to 7-8 with some exploration and Modern Warfare 2 was only 6-7 hours campaign, I'm still excited about Vanquish, regardless!

Empty

Macintosh360 said:
One of the firat online reviews - they liked it alot:

http://www.planetxbox360.com/article_12006/Vanquish

my god at some of the writing in that review. just picking out one sentence.

"It’s difficult to put into words why Vanquish is a fun twist on your average 3rd-person shooter.."

err, i don't think you should be a game critic if you find that hard. why the combat flow of vanquish is so entertaining is really easy to describe, man.

"..but if I could sum it up the most caveman-esque of terms, I would call it badass."

i don't think you should be a professional writer at all if you can write that line with a straight face.

You're mistaking these men for professionals.

Some thing doesn't seem to add up...

If Platinum Games nailed one thing in Vanquish, it is easily the lack of repetition.

Didn't GI say it was very repetitive?

Macintosh360

Neo Member
I don't think he was writing that last sentence with a straight face, and if you want to be a professional journalism critic there are plenty of sites out there in need of you, maybe we could see some of your writing first? Thanks for the tips though!

Empty said:
my god at some of the writing in that review. just picking out one sentence.

"It’s difficult to put into words why Vanquish is a fun twist on your average 3rd-person shooter.."

err, i don't think you should be a game critic if you find that hard. why the combat flow of vanquish is so entertaining is really easy to describe, man.

"..but if I could sum it up the most caveman-esque of terms, I would call it badass."

i don't think you should be a professional writer at all if you can write that line with a straight face.

Macintosh360

Neo Member
CaptYamato said:
You're mistaking these men for professionals.

And who in this industry of "playing video games" could be considered a professional - seriously anime, comic books, video games, action figures, even movie critics all deal with the same thing; no one wants to read a review of their "hobby" like it was penned by our high-school english teacher, if you think I'm wrong go make that site and see how long it lasts.... :lol :lol :lol :lol

Amir0x

Banned
Macintosh360 said:
I don't think he was writing that last sentence with a straight face, and if you want to be a professional journalism critic there are plenty of sites out there in need of you, maybe we could see some of your writing first? Thanks for the tips though!
DrudgeSiren.gif
DrudgeSiren.gif
DrudgeSiren.gif

Worst argument ever alert!

"You can't criticize art unless you're an artist!"
"You can't criticize writing unless you're a writer!"

Automatic Failure. You lose at forum posting. Everyone in this thread now points and laugh at you.

DrudgeSiren.gif
DrudgeSiren.gif
DrudgeSiren.gif

Macintosh360 said:
And who in this industry of "playing video games" could be considered a professional - seriously anime, comic books, video games, action figures, even movie critics all deal with the same thing; no one wants to read a review of their "hobby" like it was penned by our high-school english teacher, if you think I'm wrong go make that site and see how long it lasts.... :lol :lol :lol :lol

Many big name film critics actually write well.

^HAHAHA Amir0x

Danneee

If only more games were 6 hours long I would probably have the time to actually go through them again instead of just quickly jumping on the next game.
All these 15-20 hr games are really hurting my motivation to play them at all as a majority won't even keep my interest for the whole game.

Macintosh360

Neo Member
Sorry I defended someone's hard work, it's much easier to sit back and point at things, criticizing them without the smallest amount of knowledge on the subject . please insert sirins in this post - thanks! :lol

Shurs

Macintosh360 said:

So is Planet Xbox 360 the website for which you are the Editor-in-Chief?

Macintosh360

Neo Member
Danneee said:
If only more games were 6 hours long I would probably have the time to actually go through them again instead of just quickly jumping on the next game.
All these 15-20 hr games are really hurting my motivation to play them at all as a majority won't even keep my interest for the whole game.

You hit that on the head Dannee, good games don't have to be 40+ hours (hell I'm halfway through Fallout: New Vegas and that game is LONG) - some games can be great and short at the same time (Vanquish and Modern Warfare 2, as well as a number of other 90+ metacritic games).....

Amir0x

Banned
Macintosh360 said:
Sorry I defended someone's hard work, it's much easier to sit back and point at things, criticizing them without the smallest amount of knowledge on the subject . please insert sirins in this post - thanks! :lol

One doesn't need to be a published fucking novelist to properly criticize a novel. One doesn't need to be involved in the rotting corpse of game "journalism" in order to recognize when the writing of a review is abysmal.

Frankly, it's more telling about your inability to think critically that you thought this argument of yours was sound.

Yes, it's easy to sit and point at things. It's also what needs to be done. Criticizing things is far more important than sitting back and pretending everything is perfect.

Dannee said:

If only games were $40 to support their lack of content, then!

Macintosh360

Neo Member
Amir0x said:
One doesn't need to be a published fucking novelist to properly criticize a novel. One doesn't need to be involved in the rotting corpse of game "journalism" in order to recognize when the writing of a review is abysmal.

Frankly, it's more telling about your inability to think critically that you thought this argument of yours was sound.

Yes, it's easy to sit and point at things. It's also what needs to be done. Criticizing things is far more important than sitting back and pretending everything is perfect.

And pointing at things without making an effort to fix those issues (which plenty of people have with games journalism) doesn't really get us anywhere. Regardless we can just agree to disagree, thanks for the discussion though =)

Macintosh360

Neo Member
Macintosh360 said:
And pointing at things without making an effort to fix those issues (which plenty of people have with games journalism) doesn't really get us anywhere. Regardless we can just agree to disagree, thanks for the discussion though =)

I have been an active member there for some time, and like to contribute to their forums, etc. But no - I'm not the EIC over there, someone by the name of Eric Bush - lives in New York I think.

Macintosh360

Neo Member
Oh and his contact info is eric@planetxbox360.com if you want to shoot him an email with tips or advice on how to make the site better, he's a great guy and would take constructive criticism with ease. A lot of there freelancers may not be the best writers and I know he tries to work with them, making them better writers over time. Many of our writers have gone on to do great things in the industry, so that counts for something - sorry this review may not have been the best example of what they got going on over there...

Shurs

Macintosh360 said:
I have been an active member there for some time, and like to contribute to their forums, etc. But no - I'm not the EIC over there, someone by the name of Eric Bush - lives in New York I think.

Macintosh360 said:
Oh and his contact info is eric@planetxbox360.com if you want to shoot him an email with tips or advice on how to make the site better, he's a great guy and would take constructive criticism with ease. A lot of there freelancers may not be the best writers and I know he tries to work with them, making them better writers over time. Many of our writers have gone on to do great things in the industry, so that counts for something - sorry this review may not have been the best example of what they got going on over there...

You write for them?

Pooya

Macintosh360 said:
ZING!
we're just discussing it here, we do this for everything! no need to be down about it :p

Danneee

Amir0x said:

Well, it's been a while since I paid more than €30 for a game but yeah I can understand that people want as much as possible for their money and that developers know that.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I don't think that (now controversial) Planet Xbox review is going to be any less articulate than the impressions you'll see in this thread. On the flipside, it's not gonna be much more articulate either. :lol

Amir0x said:
I don't think the length of the campaign is always a good indicator of value, especially if the gameplay lends itself to multiple playthroughs. For example, DMC3 can be beaten in less than 4 hours but I put over 75 hours into that game. The inverse is something like Assassin's Creed, which I couldn't even be bothered to finish after 4 hours of playing.

The content in that case are the challenges you face and the growth you undergo as a player to overcome them.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Come on, guys. Let's not start getting all gang-up and bully on this guy. It's too easy.

Macintosh360 said:

Yo...

Amir0x

Banned
Macintosh360 said:

I have no interest in getting into directing movies because I thought AVATAR was a gargantuan piece of shit.

I have no interest in developing games because I thought Animal Crossing is the worst game ever made.

I have no interest in writing books because I felt Harry Potter is an insult to humanity and lowered the collective IQ of children and men alike by at least a dozen.

I have no interest in writing game reviews as a career just because PlanetXbox employs a group of mental cockroaches to pen their game critiques. Plus it pays like shit and it's a completely gutless profession.

Use your logic with your stupid ideas plz.

SapientWolf said:
I don't think the length of the campaign is always a good indicator of value, especially if the gameplay lends itself to multiple playthroughs. For example, DMC3 can be beaten in less than 4 hours but I put over 75 hours into that game. The inverse is something like Assassin's Creed, which I couldn't even be bothered to finish after 4 hours of playing.

obviously, there are other factors. That's always the case. I didn't particularly think Vanquish struck me as a game I'd want to replay over and over (like the aforementioned Mirror's Edge), and there definitely does not seem to be enough incentivizing for my taste there.

But we'll see.

Dever

Banned
Eh, I'm sure I'll get my money's worth playing it through first on Hard, then on God Hard, doing the challenges etc.

Amir0x

Banned
Macintosh360 said:

hey then why does your registration e-mail include:

rtbush?

+

"our Writers?"

+

Website Editor-in-Chief

+

Username:

Macintosh360

You're exactly as clever as the person who wrote that awful review!

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Quality of writing aside, I wish the review touched a bit more on the content. The only thing it did was confirm the completion time issue.

I hope other reviews touch a bit on the post game content, even though not everyone may care about it.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
This is not cool. I actually feel uncomfortable. :|

Amir0x said:
hey then why does your registration e-mail include?

rtbush?

+

"our Writers?"

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Fuckkkkk :lol :lol :lol :lol

Shurs

Amir0x said:
hey then why does your registration e-mail include?

rtbush?

+

"our Writers?"

+

Website Editor-in-Chief

+

Username:

Macintosh360

DrudgeSiren.gif
DrudgeSiren.gif
DrudgeSiren.gif

Peterthumpa

Amir0x said:
hey then why does your registration e-mail include:

rtbush?

+

"our Writers?"

+

Website Editor-in-Chief

+

Username:

Macintosh360

Old but...

owned0pt.jpg

Macintosh360

Neo Member
CaptYamato said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Fuckkkkk :lol :lol :lol :lol

I don't understand what your implying - my name is also bush - not eric bush the EIC - why would I give you all his name if that was in fact me, thats lame of you guys to try and point that out based off of "rtbush" - what does that even mean?

Once and for all I am not the same person that is running that site, maybe related to him, maybe he just has the same last name as me - but your investigation tactics into other people are more pitiful that your whole argument before. Maybe find something better to do with your time.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Keep fighting the good fight, Amirox. You've achieved the humiliation of another guy on the Internet trying to save face. He was being subversive, but it was completely harmless/small-time.

Really fucking admirable.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Amir0x said:
obviously, there are other factors. That's always the case. I didn't particularly think Vanquish struck me as a game I'd want to replay over and over (like the aforementioned Mirror's Edge), and there definitely does not seem to be enough incentivizing for my taste there.

But we'll see.
I can respect that. But I see no reason for someone to pay full price for a retail game that they'll be done with in a rental period, regardless of whether it's 4 hours long or 10 hours long. Unless they're gonna flip it for trade-in credit, so in that case it doesn't make much of a difference.

And I'm considering taking the Video Game Journalism™ challenge and posting a review after I play the tar out of the game.

Amir0x

Banned
Rez said:
Keep fighting the good fight, Amirox. You've achieved the humiliation of another guy on the Internet trying to save face. He was being subversive, but it was completely harmless/small-time.

Really fucking admirable.

No. I didn't care about anything until he went and lied about who he is. If you're going to lie and then try to defend something from that dishonest position, you're going to be called out.

And lastly, Rez, because you do this a fucking lot: if you don't like a conversation, don't fucking participate in it. Nobody wants to hear your whining and bitching about how uncomfortable you feel with your internet white knighting.

SapientWolf said:
I can respect that. But I see no reason for someone to pay full price for a retail game that they'll be done with in a rental period, regardless of whether it's 4 hours long or 10 hours long. Unless they're gonna flip it for trade-in credit, so in that case it doesn't make much of a difference.

And I'm considering taking the Video Game Journalism™ challenge and posting a review after I play the tar out of the game.

Well for me, i don't like renting games. Just not my style. I prefer to take games in my own time, play them when I feel like it.

Macintosh360

Neo Member
Amir0x said:
"maybe related to him"?

Jesus fucking christ :lol

Yes he is my older brother, but I only mess around on the forums over there, very little else...should that have been disclosed? I'm not sure where all the hostility is coming from....

Top Bottom