• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2017 Microsoft E3 Conference [Over]

What shirt should Phil Spencer wear today?

Results are only viewable after voting.

EGM1966

I'm not cycling back to anything, I like to think I've been consistent. I also am not seeing anything at any angle, that's not how things should be viewed objectively IMO.

The person you quoted doesn't understand that a console exclusive still matters to those who game on consoles. The fact that Planetside 2 was on PC didn't diminish the fact that it was console exclusive to the PS4 and influenced my choice in picking up that console. Again there's this mentality that if it's also on PC it doesn't count when that's not really the case to console gamers.
Most of the games will be on PS4 - their odd phrasing clearly means "timed".

Anyway I give up. It's obvious to me (and clearly many others) why this was a weak showing competitively. You queried such responses and I figured I'd try and extrapolate but you can't see it so this will be my last reply.

Humdinger

Did anyone make a list of the 22 exclusives? I didn't get to watch everything as I was grocery shopping.

I know there's:

Forza
Crackdown
Ori 2
PUBG
Metro
LIS

...?

LiS isn't exclusive. I don't think Metro is either. What's PUBG?

Here's what I wrote down as I watched:

Console Launch Exclusives:
Player something (Underground?)
Deep Rock
Darwin
Black Desert
Last Night
The Artful something
Tacoma
Ashen

Console Exclusive:
Sea of Thieves
Super Lucky's Tale
Cuphead
Ori
Crackdown 3
Forza

That's well short of 22, so I must've missed some. They showed an indie montage that went by pretty quickly. Maybe there were some in there.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I think that the main problem rating this conference is depending on how you see it.

The conference as a whole was good, if it wasn't a Microsoft conference it would be good some good games shown but dragged too long.Any publisher would be cool showing those games

But rating it as a Microsoft conference It Was Bad... like really bad.
You can't start a conference announcing 22 exclusives and basically showing timed exclusives over timed exclusives.Especially when you introduce a new hardware that is supposed to crush competition.

Besides Forza and to be fair a racing game would not really show the difference between the xbox x and the pro, the only games interesting were all multiplatforms and maybe they showcased the Xbox X well, but maybe we should wait to compare it to their ps4 pro counter part.

So a good conference if it were a mere publisher but as a Microsoft conf I don't want to buy a scorpio or a Xbox no exclusives interested me and almost everything shown was multiplatform.

People want new games Microsoft, and exclusives are a good way to gather interest in your console.

I thought this was a pretty solid conference. It seemed a bit over filled to some degree and no real surprises which takes away from it but it was overall nice. I'd give it a solid 8.

My only main takeway here though is I didn't see much to convince someone who isn't already interested in Xbox to make the jump. That said Anthem looked unbelievable

Anthem was pretty cool even though it looks like Focus Testing: The Game.

"What do people like?"

"Mech suits, co op shooters, loot"

"Ok go make that"

No truly big guns, but still a really fun press conference. Lots to enjoy, and 42 games to take a look at is hard to argue with. Way more new games to, up 433% on last year (Source)

Few more up Microsoft's sleeve for Gamescom, too.

For all the shit MS gets for too much Halo and Gears... if there's one thing this conference needed, it's new Halo and Gears.

It would be the equivalent of Nintendo revealing Switch without a Zelda or Mario game to speak of.

Cuburt

The conference didn't need to be 90 fricking minutes long, especially with some of the games/gameplay they chose to showcase.

It's like, I get why people want to say the conference wasn't that bad since they spent minimal time doing PR/sales talk or blabbing on and on about non-game related stuff and spent a good chunk of the conferences showing games, but the way they showed everything off was pretty underwhelming to pretty bad. It wasn't even just that the games were all poor, because they all weren't poor, it was also the games they chose to focus on, or what about those games they chose to focus on.

I may pick up a couple games on PC and I think people that already own an Xbox One will be modestly satisfied to at least not convince them to sell their console, but I think as a conference trying to sell a new piece of hardware and the future of the Xbox brand, it was a failure.

Texamon

Neo Member
Metro and LiS aren't exclusive.

Here's what I wrote down:

Deep Rock
Darwin
Black Desert
Last Night
The Artful something
Tacoma
Ashen

Console Exclusive:

Sea of Thieves
Super Lucky's Tale
Cuphead
Ori
Crackdown 3

That's well short of 22, so I must've missed some. They showed an indie montage that went by pretty quickly. Maybe there were some in there.

Damn, thats a pretty short list for console exclusives

KageMaru

Most of the games will be on PS4 - their odd phrasing clearly means "timed".

Anyway I give up. It's obvious to me (and clearly many others) why this was a weak showing competitively. You queried such responses and I figured I'd try and extrapolate but you can't see it so this will be my last reply.

I see some of the points, don't get me wrong and I don't mean to come off as difficult, but I don't agree entirely with some of the points. We'll have to agree to disagree it seems.

Gawd, I'm so pissed off right now. This was gonna be the big E3 comeback. As an Xbox fan of the original and 360, I was ready to jump back in.

I'm not even upset at the price because I assumed it was gonna be that high. I just can't believe there were zero new first party games announced that we already didn't know about. That is so insane to me.

Same as you but I did jump in back in late 2013. I need a drink.

I'll get a couple of positives out of the way:

+ I appreciate MS' commitment to BC and services.
+ I appreciate how they mostly showed gameplay.

But that's about as much as I can muster up.

- The Xbox One X is a system without a cause. There is no exclusive to justify its existence or its price.
- In general, for the last 5-6 years, it has become increasingly hard to care about investing in MS' ecosystem, when they are this bereft of first party game studios and talent. I don't feel like they are in this for the long haul. Even the One X feels like a last ditch effort to gather some attention towards a dying effort.
- The pacing of their shows are legitimately terrible and the games they choose for extended looks are often baffling. I don't know why Sea of Thieves needed something quite that long when most of what they showed was boring.
- The apparent downgrade to Crackdown 3 is disappointing. MS deserves a ton of shit for selling the power of the cloud and then backing down from that promise.
- Anthem looked fantastic visually, so at least they knew how to end it, though I'm skeptical if the final game is going to look that good.
- That "console launch exclusive" phraseology was shady.

All in all, MS feels like a company in retreat. They're firing what little arsenal they have, but it isn't enough.

Not that stuff like God of War or TLOU2 isn't important, but the audience is more fickle today. They make the biggest splash at an E3 conference, but it just seems like there's something different going on these days. Minecraft, Rocket League, PUBG... I think if MS can continue to kind of align with multiplayer games that people are currently into, that's more in line with the audience than a blockbuster like Halo or Uncharted. They're kind of filling gaps around that as best they can, and they're not completely striking out there.

Wadiwasi

Banned
I would have given their conference a B- or C+ but they intentionally muddled the waters with the "Xbox Console Launch Exclusive" stuff. A lot of the games shown will be playable on other platforms that they tried to pass exclusivity off on.

I think it was better than their past 2 conferences however.

Showing off the new Porsche as a world-wide reveal was actually cool, but really only for people who are big fans of cars and high-end ones at that. I feel like it fell flat overall though. It seems as though MS really doesn't understand their audience even though they pretend to.

Lingitiz

Pretty much. They just had Major Nelson on youtube hyping up the fact they lined up the ports in the back on one row.
Major Nelson himself is indicative of everything wrong with Xbox right now. He's a Microsoft lifer in the echo chamber that is the Xbox division. They're dedicated to serving their ever decreasing hardcore fan base, without any real perspective on what steps they need to take to expand beyond that and actually take it to Sony.

jeffram

I think you're being way too harsh. They showed a LOT of games even if they weren't new 1st party games. I don't think you can look poorly on 22 Xbox/PC exclusives regardless of the source.
I think the difference is providing games for Xbox owners to play vs convincing people they need an Xbox.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill

Deep Rock
Darwin
Black Desert
Last Night
The Artful something
Tacoma
Ashen

Console Exclusive:
Sea of Thieves
Super Lucky's Tale
Cuphead
Ori
Crackdown 3
Forza

Wait you forgot State of decay 2 as an exclusive.

PSlayer

So during Spencer's reign he has managed to

Kill off Xbox exclusives
Cancel first party titles
Promise more than they can deliver
Announce consoles at higher price than people are willing to pay
Overhype and Botch E3
Sign off on some of the most cringe PR/Advertising messaging

I'm getting the feeling that a lot of execs at Xbox are just way too comfortable or way too deluded.

Phil Spencer always sound as a damage control guy to me. Always saying what people wanted to hear but without necessarily putting the money where his mouth was.

"Hey Phill what can you say about the lack of japanese support!"
Phill Spencer: "Xbox one should have more japanese suport!"
"Oh my god!!! did you hear? xbox will have japanese support!!! Phil Spencer is saving the XBOX"

"What about japanese exclusives?"
Phill Spencer: "Xbox one should have more japanese exclusives!"

"Oh my god!!! did you hear? xbox will have japanese exclusives!!! Phil Spencer is a GOOODDDDDD"

I won't consider $499 high if there's no black crush on the BD playback in all formats including 4K HDR. I need a 4K HDR BD player.

Of course, that may be a big if.

Kill off Xbox exclusives
Overhype and Botch E3

I'm getting the feeling that a lot of execs at Xbox are just way too comfortable or way too deluded.

He's been awful. I was prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt as I thought they might have some good stuff to show this E3, but their first-party line up is fucking anaemic; especially when considering they have a new console to promote. What's the most recent MS new IP - Sea of Thieves, I think? Even that's been at 3 E3 conferences now still with no release date in sight.

Deep Rock
Darwin
Black Desert
Last Night
The Artful something
Tacoma
Ashen

Console Exclusive:
Sea of Thieves
Super Lucky's Tale
Cuphead
Ori
Crackdown 3
Forza

PUBG is Playerunknown's battlegrounds

Ah I got confused cause Phil said the 22 games were going to be exclusive and then showed Metro right after so I thought that was one of them.

Pretty cool that they locked Super Lucky's Tale as a full exclusive.

cakefoo

Is VR dead?
It's not economically feasible if the XBO X is the only VR-ready model.

Pro:pS4 ratio = 1:5
PSVR:pS4 ratio = 1:60

I expect a worse XBO X:XBO tie ratio due to the $499 tag.
I would expect a worse XBO X VR:XBO X ratio due to every XBO X owner's wallets being recently drained.

Not that stuff like God of War or TLOU2 isn't important, but the audience is more fickle today. They make the biggest splash at an E3 conference, but it just seems like there's something different going on these days. Minecraft, Rocket League, PUBG... I think if MS can continue to kind of align with multiplayer games that people are currently into, that's more in line with the audience than a blockbuster like Halo or Uncharted. They're kind of filling gaps around that as best they can, and they're not completely striking out there.
You don't focus on games like that on a 6teraflop system

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell

Deep Rock
Darwin
Black Desert
Last Night
The Artful something
Tacoma
Ashen

Console Exclusive:
Sea of Thieves
Super Lucky's Tale
Cuphead
Ori
Crackdown 3
Forza

I always thought Sea of Thieves was a console exclusive, but I could have sworn after the trailer and gameplay demo it said console launch exclusive.

mhows

Banned
Problem Microsoft has is every good looking exclusive is coming to PC. If you want to sell the console have console exclusives. Bummed, thought Microsoft would have done well, but it seems they still need time. Glad to see they are following Sony though, not a lot of talking and letting the games speak for themselves.6/10

Arkam

Kill off Xbox exclusives
Overhype and Botch E3

How dare you talk about French Stewart like that!

Lingitiz

Has Xbox become boring?
It has been boring for a while. Say what you will about Sony promising the moon with titles that are far off. At least you point to that and say "fuck yeah I can't wait for that." What do you look at with Microsoft first party and think "oh yeah that's a game of the year contender." All of that is missing. There's no energy, no excitement.

Really can't wait to see how Sony answers this. They've easily won E3 for years now, but this is going to be a tough one to beat.

Lol

The only way Sony wouldn't top this Microsoft presser is if they didn't show up at all.

Call Of Duty: WWII MP reveal/new SP trailer/possible Zombies reveal, Gran Turismo Sport, Spiderman, GOW, Shenmue 3, FFVII Remake and if they show The Last Of Us II, it will bring down the house.

jjonez18

7.5/10. Underwhelming, but solid.

As a Xbox One owner, the games look good. Felt like most of it was stuff that was already known. OG Xbox BC is awesome. Unless there's some awesome trade in deals, I'll wait on XB1X.

As a PS4/PC owner, I'll put that $250-$499 towards updating my PC and/or games. Nothing to see here.

GHG

Kill off Xbox exclusives
Overhype and Botch E3

The guy is weak. He doesn't have the clout or charisma necessary to get the backing and funding the Xbox division is clearly in dire need of. Meanwhile he just spits out PR coated lies on Twitter on a regular basis.

KageMaru

Lol

The only way Sony wouldn't top this Microsoft presser is if they didn't show up at all.

Call Of Duty: WWII MP reveal/new SP trailer/possible Zombies reveal, Spiderman, GOW, Shenmue 3, FFVII Remake and if they show The Last Of Us II, it will bring diwn the house.

Shenmue 3 won't be at the show sadly =( if it was, they'd win easily on that alone.

Ah I got confused cause Phil said the 22 games were going to be exclusive and then showed Metro right after so I thought that was one of them.

Pretty cool that they locked Super Lucky's Tale as a full exclusive.

I know, I was too, I was so confused at that lead in being for Metro after 2 full remasters selling it on multiplatform basis.

Always thought that game looked very nice.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
It was a good conference, aside from selling me a x1x. Sadly, in a new console release e3, that's a deal breaker. Aside from metro and anthem, two games I'm not sold on aside from the visuals, there was no reason to upgrade.

Top Bottom