• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Carrie Fisher's autopsy reveals 'cocktail of drugs'

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Ecstasy coupled with depression and bipolar disorder seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

Not to mention a million other factors that can potentially make it physically dangerous. I'm sure she normally had access to fairly straightforward MDMA but i've never known an addict to be super discerning with what is exactly in their cocktail of drugs when they deep in the habbit.

Not even getting into what mixing all these drugs together can do to you on that night. Meanwhile she's been on a loop with this stuff for like 30 years at least. It's plenty dangerous.

Also i have to chuckle at people saying the SW movies needed her more than she needed SW... like cmon now. She was great an all but lets be real.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
The thing about addiction is that it takes less than zero effort for something to trigger you into using again.

My wife has had addiction issues in the past, and we have to make an effort on a daily basis to keep her from relapsing due to there being easily available prescription drugs around. There's no such thing as "therapeutic" levels of medication to an addict. Once they get one taste of a high, they basically turn into a drug-fueled version of Cookie Monster.

It's a constant, never-ending struggle.

This for sure - now imagine you're wife came into a couple easy million dollars or whatever and was living in LA with old friends and coked out fans/producers/co-workers everywhere... i think the only people that might be surprised by this are those who have never known addiction/addicts in their life.

I think the predictable nature of her death is maybe the saddest part. It was kind of comforting to know she had plowed through it all even if she was still doin it. But she wore her years on her face. Puts another sad twist into all the events around her death. That's for sure...

bill0527

For real. 60 years old and taking rolls on top of a speedball. Even EDC kids ain't going that hard.

I'm sure she had a helluva tolerance at that age. She probably had to take more drugs by noon than most kids take in a month, just to get the edge off.

anaron

And while Carrie might not have claimed she was clean, it was always talked about in a way that was past tense so it's fairly normal to assume to she had been sober for years considering her outspoken views on it and whatnot.

Azazzel

May i ask why are you so defensive about this? What is it about people being unaware of Carrie Fisher's condition that bothers you so much? Not all of us know whether some celebrity got off of drugs or not.

Heck, as a non American i just found out about her addiction with the release of Force Awakens.

E-Cat

Huh. I guess the 'pill urn' takes on a whole new significance:

carrie-fisher-urn-8dcf9571-a2a2-4ceb-b70f-f41900a42f38.jpg

This is somewhat shocking to me, considering I had presumed she'd given up drugs for a number of years.

Dammit, Carrie.
So she took them hardcore until she was 57, but then magically got clean between the ages of 58 and 60 and was obviously cured and definitely wasn't touching anything during that time.

Seems legit

the_id

Her background of sleep apnoea and the presence of these drugs, she could've gone into respiratory arrest easily on that plane with no one noticing until they tried to wake her up.

Such a shame. Why do celebrities always go like this?

let her be dead. do we really have to retroactively judge people just because they're celebrities and we feel like we know them? no one needs to hear your opinion about addicts or recovery just because they released an autopsy.

Cheebo

Banned
I thought she had been off them for longer. No need to get snarky.

But why? She basically screamed as loud as she can and hit you over the head with the fact she wasn't clean. It was part of her extremely public struggles. The only way to assume she is clean was to bury your head in the sand and refuse to listen to what she has said for the past few years. I honestly don't know who much clearer she could have made it.

I have no intentions of being snarky myself, I am personally beyond baffled how anyone could assume something about a person that is the complete opposite of what that person has been saying for years and years.

MrDaravon

Wow how sad, for some reason I thought she had been off the hard stuff for a while :/.

Like others have mentioned I have mixed feelings about this stuff being made public, but if it helps even one person get help that's something at least.

Abounder

Banned
Electric shock therapy, lifelong substance abuse, significant weight gain/loss, travelling on the road, and life's stress takes one hell of a toll. RIP

How is ecstasy dangerous?

Ecstasy works by flooding your brain with the serotonin, dopamine, and norepinephrine that you already have stored up. Long-term exposure to MDMA can lead to production problems of these neurotransmitters which can lead to major depression and other neurological problems.

There really isn't such a thing as a 'safe' drug. Every drug can cause major problems when people stop respecting that reality.

This sucks and I wish it had never happened, but hopefully it acts as yet another cautionary tale to people. No one is truly safe from or above addiction.

60 years is a pretty good run for someone banging out that mixture of drugs. She had one hell of a life, if drugs were her thing than who are we to judge her choices.

The problem is less that drugs were 'her thing' and more that she was pretty miserable and used the drugs to cope. It's not like her life was just one big party; this whole thing is pretty tragic.

gaiages

Banned
let her be dead. do we really have to retroactively judge people just because they're celebrities and we feel like we know them? no one needs to hear your opinion about addicts or recovery just because they released an autopsy.

Gotta agree with this tbqh

I have no intentions of being snarky myself, I am personally beyond baffled how anyone could assume something about a person that is the complete opposite of what that person has been saying for years and years.

Because not everyone keeps their pulse on what celebrities are doing.

SpaceWolf

Banned
But why? She basically screamed as loud as she can and hit you over the head with the fact she wasn't clean. It was part of her extremely public struggles. The only way to assume she is clean was to bury your head in the sand and refuse to listen to what she has said for the past few years. I honestly don't know who much clearer she could have made it.

I hadn't been following Carrie or her work too closely, it was just my understanding she had take a firm step away from drugs in the last few years. I always thought her openess about her drug and alcohol abuse was in relation to her past, not her immediate present.

Snaku

Banned
I mean there really was no other way her story could end other than sad tragedy. I feel so sorry for her and her family. Still hard to believe she's gone.

Kind of wish this wasn't revealed. I don't think anyone outside her immediate family needs to know.

With how open she was about this stuff, I think she would want people to know. A lot of people looked up to her and if what happened to her can make even one person think twice about their drug use, then the release is overall a positive thing. It wasn't worth her death, but it is possible that some good can come out of this news.

DocSeuss

Why do they have to make the details public? They should have stopped at " we found drugs in her system ".

Shels already dead and there was no foul play. What's the point?

The details of John Denver's plane crash resulted in a bunch of FAA regulation changes and awareness that is believed to have save lives.

Coroner's reports are pretty important in that regard.

knicks

That is so weird how someone at that age would have all of that in their system. Those are like crazy party drugs for teenagers/college students.What the hell was she doing when this happened?

dave is ok

aztek is ok
That is so weird how someone at that age would have all of that in their system. Those are like crazy party drugs for teenagers/college students.What the hell was she doing when this happened?
Probably did whatever she had left because she had a flight and didn't want to risk being caught with a bunch of drugs at an airport

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
Yikes, she probably needed those drugs to feel somewhat normal. And that seems real dangerous to ingest consistently as a 60 year old woman. I mean, I'm no doctor; but I'm guessing ingesting that cocktail of drugs could probably take down somebody in their physical prime.

Budi

Ecstasy works by flooding your brain with the serotonin, dopamine, and norepinephrine that you already have stored up. Long-term exposure to MDMA can lead to production problems of these neurotransmitters which can lead to major depression and other neurological problems.

There really isn't such a thing as a 'safe' drug. Every drug can cause major problems when people stop respecting that reality.

This sucks and I wish it had never happened, but hopefully it acts as yet another cautionary tale to people. No one is truly safe from or above addiction.

Exactly, people should really be more aware and careful on how they treat alchohol and other drugs. If you are going to get intoxicated, atleast do it in moderation and as safely as possible. Ofcourse I'm not preaching for complete sobriety, I'm not in a position to do so. But have some respect for the substances you are going to intake.

Who are you trying to delude here that ecstasy isn't potentially very dangerous for your health? Especially in the case of a 60 year-old, bipolar woman with a history of depression?
The poster you "fixed" talked about dangers of drugs and alcohol. You "fixed" it by removing alcohol and especially mixing it with other drugs being dangerous? And now you are calling another poster out for deluding the dangers?

Top Bottom