• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 |OT| Nov. 19

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Alan Rickman has been a terrible Snape, sadly.

I haven't seen DH yet, granted.

Medalion

Banned
Rez said:

Disagree, he is one of my fave actors in the entire series, and used far too little. Snape was barely in pt1 save for the very beginning, yer not missing much.

big ander

Tesseract said:
one man's trash ...

i said my peace re: hallows' tricks and tropes, so you may keep your point. this one's character drama is an equivocal speck to be fair, but to me just a bit of blarney. some would call it fauxtel, like the new(est) sherlock holmes movie. you watch and begin to hopefully procure or perhaps infer the greater point, then end as one unfulfilled dumbo whose deductive powers are torn asunder. neither engaged nor disengaged is your experience, but you're daft about it all the same. hallows (pt. 1) is of course far worse, being soapy melodrama and such with contrivances abound here and there, everywhere.

half-blood prince is my favorite harry potter.
Funny, as I feel that one has the most soapy melodrama.
I don't claim to think that the Harry Potter series is some expansive and meaningful epic. It's just a standard fantasy story told really damn well. There are far worse books and movies out there to have as a guilty pleasure. Actually, I don't even feel guilty about liking them. They serve their purpose as escapism films.

Also, maybe I'm just a prick, but I feel like your posts are inundated with outrageous synonyms and uncommon words. It makes your posts awkward to read, because I have never met anyone who talks or writes in that way. Instead of putting across a clear message, it seems like you're hiding your opinions in an unnecessarily complex assortment of words.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
he does a fantastic job at the character that is movie Snape, don't get me wrong, but he has no near the emotional range of book Snape. Snape gets really, really angry. The end of the HBP movie really disappointing.

big ander

Rez said:
he does a fantastic job at the character that is movie Snape, don't get me wrong, but he has no near the emotional range of book Snape. Snape gets really, really angry. The end of the HBP movie really disappointing.
This. Snape's turn in HBP was so dissatisfying. It was one of the best moments in the entire book series.

Medalion

Banned
It's true, the HBP thing made no sense or impact in the movie reveal of said same named movie. But Alan Rickman is so fucking bad-ass, his cadence is just hypnotic.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
big ander said:
This. Snape's turn in HBP was so dissatisfying. It was one of the best moments in the entire book series.

Yeah, after the first 3 films they seemed to move away from the nasty Snape and in HBP and DH1 he mostly wears a faintly pained expression and not much else. Yates has never directed him as anything other than a slightly reluctant good guy.

Tesseract

Banned
big ander said:
I don't claim to think that the Harry Potter series is some expansive and meaningful epic. It's just a standard fantasy story told really damn well. There are far worse books and movies out there to have as a guilty pleasure. Actually, I don't even feel guilty about liking them. They serve their purpose as escapism films.

Also, maybe I'm just a prick, but I feel like your posts are inundated with outrageous synonyms and uncommon words. It makes your posts awkward to read, because I have never met anyone who talks or writes in that way. Instead of putting across a clear message, it seems like you're hiding your opinions in an unnecessarily complex assortment of words.

my message is a simple one, deathly hallows is 2.5 hours of absolute twaddle. verbosity aside (i write like i speak), i thought it was gimmicky, average cinema.

*quick edit* i haven't read the books, but i do hear great things. the movies as a whole i do love, sans crack or flaw. guilty pleasures and all that, most definitely...

Tesseract

Banned
Medalion said:
Ok, so basically you thought it sucked

it looked great, with dobby a spectacle to behold, and whizzy-zippy particles flying around when needed. good sound and music, even if it was the same old shit. kinda miss the romanesque architecture, but that ship has sailed.

What really stood out to the people I watched it with was how cliche the locket drama was with corrupting the wearer, etc. It basically was exactly like the LotR ring. And the kids were aware of the locket's negative energy, yet they still chose to wear it around their necks. Why not put it in that magical endless bag of yours, hmm? Or maybe, your pocket instead.

I guess maybe because it feels safest to keep a pendant worn around your neck, rather than just leave it around? They could put it in Hermione's magic bag but they could also consider that they might need the thing ASAP and they'd have to rummage through the magic bag (Summoning doesn't work).

Putting in the pocket still makes it physically close to them. It would be rather dumb to just leave it around the tent, ESPECIALLY after all it took to get it,
getting DD killed for a fake one, needing to cause a ruckus at the Ministry, costing them Grimmauld as a hiding place, and more guilt with Kreacher.
I'd personally wear it if I was any of them.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
the locket saga was completely unnecessary in the book so I'd imagine it will be equally frustrating in the movie. it's easily the worst part in the series post book 3.

Solo

Amazon's Gold Box deal of the day is fucking insane for Potter movie fans who haven't bit on releases yet:

- DVD: Harry Potter 1-6 boxset - $23.99
- BD: Harry Potter 1-6 boxset - $39.99

Foolish deal!

Ponn

Banned
Solo said:
Amazon's Gold Box deal of the day is fucking insane for Potter movie fans who haven't bit on releases yet:

Foolish deal!

Wingardium Purchaioso!

Torquill

Wolf Akela said:
I guess maybe because it feels safest to keep a pendant worn around your neck, rather than just leave it around? They could put it in Hermione's magic bag but they could also consider that they might need the thing ASAP and they'd have to rummage through the magic bag (Summoning doesn't work).

Putting in the pocket still makes it physically close to them. It would be rather dumb to just leave it around the tent, ESPECIALLY after all it took to get it,
getting DD killed for a fake one, needing to cause a ruckus at the Ministry, costing them Grimmauld as a hiding place, and more guilt with Kreacher.
I'd personally wear it if I was any of them.
In the movie Harry summons a vial out of the bag.

Saw it this weekend, and I was pleasantly surprised after the horrors number 4 and 5 inflicted upon me. The sixth movie wasn't bad, but that ending was so atrocious it ruined the entire film for me (seriously, it's like they're all at a rock concert at the end). They pretty much stuck close to the book, and the deviations I made I could all get behind. It's the best Potter film I've seen since number 2.

Solo

Ponn01 said:
Wingardium Purchaioso!

I'm forcing myself to wait a year for the complete series set, or else I would have jumped on it. Amazon had better have a crazy deal on that Black Friday 2011!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Solo said:
I'm forcing myself to wait a year for the complwete series set, or else I would have jumped on it. Amazon had better have a crazy deal on that Black Friday 2011!
Yeah, same. Very tempting, but you know the complete series box-set with NEVER BEFORE SEEN EXTRAS will follow.

I can't believe that the same dude directed Half-Blood Prince and Deathly Hallows. HBP was pretty bad IMO but holy shit part 1 of Deathly Hallows is possibly my favorite out of the entire series.

Harry Potter Has Turned Into A Delusional Broom-wielding Maniac

crazy_potter.png

:lol

big ander

Echoing you guys: current set is really tempting, but I'd rather hold out a year for all of them on BD.
I think I have the first 6 on DVD already anyway >_<

Oh yeah and the video Plainview put above: it's actually pretty funny. "I talk to women. Tell them I'm Harry. See where that gets me." :lol

Blue Ninja said:
Saw it this weekend, and I was pleasantly surprised after the horrors number 4 and 5 inflicted upon me. The sixth movie wasn't bad, but that ending was so atrocious it ruined the entire film for me (seriously, it's like they're all at a rock concert at the end). They pretty much stuck close to the book, and the deviations I made I could all get behind. It's the best Potter film I've seen since number 2.

whoa there, hoss.

RaidenZR

Rez said:

Man you've got to be joking. I've always felt that Alan Rickman is one of the best parts of the series, at least for me, and has made a embarrassingly one-dimensional character in the books (for most of the books anyways) into something more with barely any extra lines. Halfblood-Prince was poor with him cause they did a poor adaptation of his character. Nothing else.
They didn't go into ANY of the Snape backstory at all. Something that gives you insights and identifiers for is to come at the end of Deathly Hallows.

1stStrike

Banned
Well guys, my box set of Harry Potter books got here today so I'll start reading book 1 tonight. Looking forward to getting the full story.

3rdman

1stStrike said:
Well guys, my box set of Harry Potter books got here today so I'll start reading book 1 tonight. Looking forward to getting the full story.
May I humbly recommend that you read along with the audio books which are excellent. It was the way I experienced it and the guy who does them does a fine job of imitating the actors from the movie.

1stStrike

Banned
3rdman said:
May I humbly recommend that you read along with the audio books which are excellent. It was the way I experienced it and the guy who does them does a fine job of imitating the actors from the movie.

Hmm, I hadn't thought of that. That's a good idea.

Edit: Audiobook people, who's better? Fry or Dale? I see audiobooks by both.

mm04

1stStrike said:

There are youtube videos of some of the books if you want an idea. I have only listened to small bits and pieces of Fry, but Jim Dale does an awesome job.

Edit: Those audiobooks are what turned me into a quasi-HP fanboy. I watched the movies without a whole lot of interest then my brother gave me the audiobooks this year. Once I started listening to Jim Dale's reading, I was hooked.

big ander said:

Don't care about either of your opinions regarding Harry Potter but I have to agree with your last statement.

1stStrike

Banned
Hmm, ok. I've heard that "Fry is a legend" but some people are like "Fry is bullshit" so I'm a bit torn. I'll have to look up both and see which I like on youtube I guess.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
1stStrike said:
Hmm, ok. I've heard that "Fry is a legend" but some people are like "Fry is bullshit" so I'm a bit torn. I'll have to look up both and see which I like on youtube I guess.
I just finished listening to Fry's DH. The guy is fantastic.

NJ Shlice

Okay, I need some help with the end of the book. I'm confused.

Explain to me how the
Elder Wand really belonged to Draco Malfoy. What in the hell did he ever have to do with it.

The book says that the wand chose a new owner before Dumbledore died. How was that owner Draco Malfoy?

ultron87

NJ Shlice said:

Explain to me how the
Elder Wand really belonged to Draco Malfoy. What in the hell did he ever have to do with it.

The book says that the wand chose a new owner before Dumbledore died. How was that owner Draco Malfoy?

Cause
Malfoy disarmed Dumbledore at the end of Half Blood Prince. So that counts as defeating him, so the wand transfers ownership.
I think. That whole thing is total bullshit anyway.

Deadman

NJ Shlice said:

Explain to me how the

He defeated dumbledore in a duel at the end of book6 because he disarmed him.

Chorazin

NJ Shlice said:

Explain to me how the

EDIT: Beat like a dead Dumbledore.

NJ Shlice said:

Explain to me how the

Malfoy disarmed dumbledore before he died on the tower.

Edit: Jesus christ. I was beat so hard i that i dont feel pain anymore.

Solo said:

Foolish deal!

Fuck, fuck, fuck, what have you done Solo!

I wanted to wait to the full package because im sure they will add something, an special edition thing or some shit like that. But the price is unvelibavle, even more if you compare it to what this boxset cost in spain (100 something euros...).

I dont know if I wait, or purchase it, al becuase of you :(

And just yesterday I ordered Fantasia/Fantasia 2000.

What do I do Gaf?

Does this pack contains all the extras?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
It's kind of cool, the progression of home video over this series.

1 and 2 are VHS, 3-5 are DVD and 6 (and 7 in the future) is BD.

Puts things in perspective.

ascii42

Rez said:
It's kind of cool, the progression of home video over this series.

1 and 2 are VHS, 3-5 are DVD and 6 (and 7 in the future) is BD.

Puts things in perspective.
Video game versions as well, they encompass 3 video game generations.

Solo

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Fuck, fuck, fuck, what have you done Solo!

I wanted to wait to the full package because im sure they will add something, an special edition thing or some shit like that. But the price is unvelibavle, even more if you compare it to what this boxset cost in spain (100 something euros...).

I dont know if I wait, or purchase it, al becuase of you :(

And just yesterday I ordered Fantasia/Fantasia 2000.

What do I do Gaf?

Does this pack contains all the extras?

My honest advice? Hold strong and WAIT, like me and several others in this thread. Rest assured that by this time next year, the fucking epic 8 film BD set will be out, with all appicable extended cuts and a boatload of features from the special editions.

Saw it a few hours ago, as a non book reader and only having seen 4-5-6 it was the better of them I think.

My gf and her sister who grew up reading the books and a huuuuge geeks about it were nearly foaming at the mouth after it finished in excitement for the next part, then went on dissecting it bit by bit and complaining about missing bits (a crown in a house or something?)
gfs sister them cried when the elf snuffed it, I was more "who the fuck is he?" :lol
The same one turned to her bf and said
"Oh no Hedwigs going to die!! :("
"Who?"
"his owl!!!"
"Didn't know he had one" :lol

I liked the hallows story or rather the way it was told, dancing scene was just o_O and needed more action like the begining! ah well

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
1stStrike said:

It's like Joel or Mike. There is no good answer.

Solo said:
My honest advice? Hold strong and WAIT, like me and several others in this thread. Rest assured that by this time next year, the fucking epic 8 film BD set will be out, with all appicable extended cuts and a boatload of features from the special editions.

You were too late! :lol

Well, It was really cheap, so if the complete edition is as awesome as we all imagine (and I hope) I will probably gift the 1-6 pack to somebody and buy the awesome edition.

DrForester said:
It's like Joel or Mike. There is no good answer.
forrester.jpg

You sir, are a good man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom