• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS sells 113,000 units in UK launch weekend (303,000 in Europe total)

Spiegel

Launch week (2-3 days):

303,000 Europe:
- 113,000 in UK
- 50,000 in Germany

Last week the firm announced that pre-orders alone stood at 140,000 and most pundits were pitching their sell-through estimates at between 150,000 to 200,000. It would seem, however, that some of the information being fed back to the manufacturer from retail was slightly wide of (or, in fact, over) the mark.

The actual figure of 113,000 does still represent the company’s most successful hardware launch in the UK to date. The DSi managed 90,000 units while the Wii clocked up 106,000. It didn’t, however, break the PSP’s record of 185,000 – although this figure was achieved across four days rather than two.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/43790/3DS...MCV:+games+industry+news)&utm_content=Twitter

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Bomba.

Bomba everywhere.

I just want something to be bomba.

Please :(.

glaurung

The lack of any truly great Nintendo game means this one will be a slow burner.

I will hold on to my 3DS with hope for a new 2D Metroid, new Castlevanias and to a lesser extent, the new Zeldas and Marios.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
JABEE said:
That doesn't seem that good.
It's their best launch ever:
The actual figure of 113,000 does still represent the company’s most successful hardware launch in the UK to date
Tbh, I was expecting more... but it doesn't mean it's "not that good".

Carl

Below their preorder amount and below what they expected. Not brilliant then i guess, but as it's their best launch ever, it's not bad either.

The crazy success of ththe DS has severally effected our expectations for this thing.
We keep thinking records being broken are 'bad

JABEE

Jocchan said:
It's their best launch ever:

Tbh, I was expecting more... but it doesn't mean it's "not that good".
I was expecting more. Maybe I'm just messing up because of the size of the UK compared to US. That number is actually pretty good.

onipex

Gamer @ Heart said:
The crazy success of ththe DS has severally effected our expectations for this thing.
We keep thinking records being broken are 'bad

The price alone will stop the 3DS from being another DS. This was a good launch though.

stilgar

onipex said:
The price alone will stop the 3DS from being another DS. This was a good launch though.

So, will Obama be able to make it again? And how about this middle East thing???

JABEE

zomgbbqftw said:
I see a bunch of adverts on TV. Very annoying too. Wow, look at the 3D effect, no glasses! D:
I don't understand their advertisements featuring glasses so much in te commercials. A person who is barely payibg attention to the ad would think of bulky 3D glasses when thinking about the 3DS.
I'm looking forward to the 3DS though, but I'm waiting for Paper Mario 3DS before I purchase it. The sales are actually really good. I just thought it would be more

wrowa

zomgbbqftw said:
I see a bunch of adverts on TV. Very annoying too. Wow, look at the 3D effect, no glasses! D:
Yep, the marketing so far really isn't very good. The short commercials are trying to make people curious of the 3D effect, but they don't succeed at it. To make matters worse, the marketing isn't doing anything to show off that the 3DS isn't just another DS but a complete new handheld.

JABEE

stilgar said:
You, Splogenborg executives, need to stop bragging about your fantastic retail numbers and despising your struggling opponents.
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying.

Carl

zomgbbqftw said:

Indeed. Massive overreactions "Oh my god wow wow it's amazing, i can't believe they can do this, wow. Wow. Wow."

Elios83

My impression is that Nintendo greatly overstimated demand for this.
There's no way they have sold 4m WW by the end of March with this kind of sales.
Imo investors are in for a bad surprise when they announce sales for 3DS and Wii for Q1 2011 at the end of April.

mclem said:
To dig out an old, old sentence, "Solid, but not spectacular".

Yeah that would be a nice summary. I'd also say slightly disappointing numbers as well.

I wonder if that's why retailers were slashing the price so much because the demand wasn't as strong as their initial allocation numbers. Pushing the panic button maybe.

Looks like Nintendo had more than enough units for retail (great) but the demand isn't quite there (not so great).

Personally it's a weak hardware launch due to the lack of a good bit of software. I haven't been so disinterested in a new format in forever.

Adamm

Katana_Strikes said:
Personally it's a weak hardware launch due to the lack of a good bit of software. I haven't been so disinterested in a new format in forever.
This ^

I have been palying mostly DS games on my 3DS

wrowa said:
Yep, the marketing so far really isn't very good. The short commercials are trying to make people curious of the 3D effect, but they don't succeed at it. To make matters worse, the marketing isn't doing anything to show off that the 3DS isn't just another DS but a complete new handheld.

Yup, I get the impression from my non-gaming friends that they think the 3DS is a a new DS with a 3D screen, like the DSi or DS-Lite. When I explain to them it is a whole new handheld like the Wii was a whole new console they either don't believe me or say it's a really silly name in that case.

Shanadeus

Banned
zomgbbqftw said:
Yup, I get the impression from my non-gaming friends that they think the 3DS is a a new DS with a 3D screen, like the DSi or DS-Lite. When I explain to them it is a whole new handheld like the Wii was a whole new console they either don't believe me or say it's a really silly name in that case.
What do they say about the PS2 and the PS3 then?

Jal

It's the magic under £200, seeing as it's only 3 months after christmas it doesnt seem that bad, next christmas they'll sell like hotcakes.

JABEE

zomgbbqftw said:
It looks a little too much like the previous DS's.

Adamm

Shanadeus said:
Thats different

There has been the DS, DS Lite, DSi, DSXL & now the 3DS and they all look the same except for being slightly thinner/fatter with different sized screens.

Spiegel

I think it was fair to expect more with all the announcements about how it was the most preordered console ever (beating the PS3) and all the sub £200 offers

The PS3 sold 165000 units in the same period.

Shanadeus said:

It was a new console? The 2 and the 3 denoting a new generation would be the giveaway I suspect. Had the 3DS been called the DS2 then it would be the same, but it has nothing in the title that denotes it is a whole new successor, but it is just a 3D version of a regular DS.

zomgbbqftw said:

Maybe the so many DS revisions may hurt 3DS until Nintendo can get the message across that it is a new handheld. The cringworthy ads are awful, focusing on 3D like it's a revolution. The branding is also too similar.

Still with good software it'll sell well over time, but I can't see it being a DS sales giant, mainly because the Brain Training, Prof. Laytons and Nintendogs games have been done and you can buy a DS for those anyways. Nintendo needs a new catch besides the 3D.

Pachimari

Yea, it's my impression people think it's just a new DS with 3D. Even my co-workers line up the 3DS games with the DS because they think it's the same. They have failed in telling people it's a whole new system but nice launch none the less. =)

Jal said:
It's the magic under £200, seeing as it's only 3 months after christmas it doesnt seem that bad, next christmas they'll sell like hotcakes.

People aint ready for a new format i dont think and the fact game wanted over £200 for this means it was always going to fail to live upto what people thought it would sell. Thats alot of money for a handheld which is still seen as a poor cousin to consoles and you can get all three consoles for the price of the 3ds if you look about.

Wazzim

Banned
Shanadeus said:
They probably think those were good names, because it suggests PS "3.0". 3DS makes people think it's '3D" on the "DS" platform not that it's something new.
I personally thought of the Nintendo 3D "N3D". You can't really cash on the DS name then but it's way better than people thinking it's a revision of the old DS.

Oppo

Starting to think they should have called it something else.

What I mean is, the name makes perfect sense, but doesn't really sell the fact that it's a system upgrade, with the DS Lite, DSi and DS XL out there as well.

[Nintex]

Dedication Through Light said:
What happened to those 30K people? Did they just cancel their preorders at the last minute or something?
I guess the stores estimated 140k and they made sure they had enough units of Nintendo's new machine. In any case Nintendo's numbers are only slowly coming in, I don't see any software figures as of yet and Nintendo's Q1 report probably won't go over well.

Dedication Through Light said:
What happened to those 30K people? Did they just cancel their preorders at the last minute or something?

Maybe it was the number Nintendo had to knock off because they were duplicate sales thanks to GAME and all the other retailers buying them up from Tesco and selling them back on ;)

snap0212

More numbers (from Nintendo):

303,000 units were sold in Europe (first three days).
50,000 in Germany (first two days).

Top Bottom