• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Milo Yiannopoulos’s ‘Dangerous’ book sells 152 copies in the UK

Kolx

ontroversial right-wing figure Milo Yiannopoulos has sold just 152 copies of his book “Dangerous” in the UK after many of his alt right supporters cut ties with him.

The book sold 18,000
copies in the United States despite debuting at number one for a day on Amazon’s non-fiction chart, according to Nielsen Bookscan. That is less than a fifth of the figure Yiannopoulos’ PR team has claimed.

The British blogger, who rose to prominence as a loud pro-Trump voice in the US, self-published the memoir after his original book deal fell through in February.

Comments he made about child abuse led to the loss of his Simon & Schuster contract, as well as his job at Breitbart. His Twitter account has long been suspended due to his involvement in abuse of high-profile women including Ghostbusters’ Leslie Jones.

Despite his dip in profile, he claims that the book has sold more than 100,000 copies, explaining away the delay in Nielsen’s count as down to the fact that booksellers hadn’t ordered enough copies to keep up with demand. “By now, you may have heard reports claiming we only sold 18,000 copies of Dangerous and that our 100,000 copies claim is exaggerated. I’m happy to report that this is fake news,” he said.

Sales in the UK were even more disappointing as the author’s US cult of personality failed to translate to his home country. Yiannopoulos worked for the Daily Telegraph and founded his own tech journalism site here before shifting his attention across the Atlantic.

Online firebrands have found it more difficult to find mainstream success in this country than in the US, where radio host Rush Limbaugh is a household name with 13 million listeners a week. Katie Hopkins had her TV show cancelled after one season due to low ratings, while the print version of the Daily Mail denied any link to her articles for the Mail Online.

However, while the sales may have failed to leave much of a mark, the New York launch party for the book reached almost cartoonish levels of edginess. Featuring costumed dwarf performers, “jihadi strippers” and a Hillary Clinton impersonator, one of the guests of honour was Martin Shkreli, the pharmaceuticals executive who racked up the price of crucial medication used by people with HIV.

https://inews.co.uk/essentials/culture/books/milo-yiannopouloss-dangerous-book-sells-152-copies-uk/

giphy.gif

Mask

Yeah, the UK does not like assholes who make excuses for pedophiles and enable child abuse. He'd get his shit kicked in if he even dared to make an appearance here.

Astral Dog

I hope this news and subsequent discussions on the Internet don't give him any free attention/publicity, he needs to be irrelevant.

Lmao I probably can make a book of pictures of different types of shit and sell more than milo. Fuck off milo you human waste ( he'd be the first pic).

H1PSTER

I don't think he's actually popular in the UK outside of Twitter; despite being from the UK myself I had never heard of him apart from American podcasts and the like.

I misread the thread title as 152k and was really bummed. Glad to see reality didn't let me down though.

the New York launch party for the book reached almost cartoonish levels of edginess. Featuring costumed dwarf performers, “jihadi strippers” and a Hillary Clinton impersonator

Shit, has Stefon from SNL gone alt-right and organized this party?

The fucked up thing is, 18k is probably more than any of my books will ever make if I ever get around to actually publishing them.

But get fucked Milo, you twat waffle.

He will be fine, he got himself the best sugar daddies you could hope for.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/josephbernstein/leaked-documents-suggest-secretive-billionaire-trump-donors

Leaked documents, including a promissory note and emails, as well as conversations with several people familiar with the matter, strongly imply that the Mercers funded Yiannopoulos following his resignation from Breitbart News after video surfaced in which he appeared to condone pedophilia. Together, they suggest that the financiers of the new conservative politics aren’t simply interested in protecting their money, but in winning a brutal new culture war waged largely online.

More than that, the documents point to a relationship that Yiannopoulos seems to regard as a kind of personal patronage, expecting from the family not just financial but legal support, after the British citizen’s visa status became tenuous post-Breitbart.

“Rebekah Mercer loves Milo,” said a source familiar with both Yiannopoulos and the Mercers, of the eldest Mercer daughter, who runs the family’s foundation and served on the executive committee of the Trump transition team. “They always stood behind him, and their support never wavered.”

So what might the Mercers hope to accomplish by serving as Yiannopoulos’s patrons? According to a source close to the situation — who confirmed an earlier report that the Mercers funded Yiannopoulos’s “Dangerous Faggot” college tour — the family sees the British shock-meister as a way to capture the attention of a generation who grew up on the internet and represents the future of the kind of anti-establishment Republican politics that swept Donald Trump to power:

“The Mercers want to do whatever they can to bring this new style of conservatism to a younger generation. Milo did that for Breitbart with their money and they see no reason to change that.”

This is more likely due to lack of advertising or poor advertising rather than there not being a market for it in the UK. Or maybe the market for this kind of book aren't big readers, wouldn't surprise me.

Mask

This is more likely due to lack of advertising or poor advertising rather than there not being a market for it in the UK. Or maybe the market for this kind of book aren't big readers, wouldn't surprise me.

Nah, the UK just really hates anyone who makes excuses for anything remotely pedophile-related. Saw a whole lot of low-key supporters just drop him completely, pedophilia is hated here.

He's not really known here either, so you're correct on that. Shock pundits like him have almost zero power when we have our tabloids doing a better job than they could ever do.

Top Bottom